Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South no longer the weakest Link?

Nesjan3

4: Jaguars- If the Browns and Chargers didnt exist possibly the saddest franchise in NFl lore, they also seem to win as many free agency periods as they do games, but with the addition of Coughlin and bringing in some new coaches, a lot of new talent to go with the high defensive picks they have had over the last few years. On paper the D is downright scary, yet they manage to still lose games. I wont believe it till i see it , but they have made a lot of moves the last 2 seasons. IMO still the weakest team in the division, but with the potential to be scary.

3: Colts- Yes i believe we are the third most talented team in the division. Optimism is in the air with the much anticipated firing of Grigs, CB brings a new hope of good things to come. We have Luck who is easily the best QB in the division and IMO top 5 in the league, but the rest of the roster outside of a few select players is substantially below the league standard, especially on defense. Luck gives us the potential to beat anyone, but that D has, can and will lose games for us until it gets fixed. Heres to CB bringing us back to the top.

2: Titans- This offense along with the Falcons was far and away the most potent in the league during certain times last season, i didnt do the research but if i remember correctly they scored over 40 3 games in a row and avg over 30 for the season. Mariota is no joke especially with that running game, imagine if they had a couple name brand receivers. Defense has been solid enough, this team scares me the most because of their potential to be so explosive.

1: Texans- Pretty much most people dub them a superbowl contender hands down if they could find a full time QB who can put up more than 14 points a game. Enough sayd there D is sick and i dont like them so im not going to write about them, cant wait to reclaim the divison. 

Can only draft high for so long until it starts paying off. 

The AFC South will be one of the better divisions in the NFL this year. 

I told a friend the other day I would not be surprised if the worst team in our division has an 8-8 record. 

Yeah, I mean wasn't 3 teams in thevery division 8-8 or better last season? It'll take more than one year to remove image of the last decade this division had, but with high draft picks and better FO moves, just about any team will get their break eventually. I personally think we have the weakest roster in the division l, but we all know Luck gives us a chance to win a game just about any given Sunday.

22 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Yeah, I mean wasn't 3 teams in thevery division 8-8 or better last season? It'll take more than one year to remove image of the last decade this division had, but with high draft picks and better FO moves, just about any team will get their break eventually. I personally think we have the weakest roster in the division l, but we all know Luck gives us a chance to win a game just about any given Sunday.

agreed we have the worst roster in the division, the only reason i put us ahead of the Jags is exactly that, Luck will win us games no matter what.

We really do have the weakest roster in division. We are hoping to add lots of talent through this supposedly deep draft, but both the Jags & Titans are in better position to add more talent than us.

Jags are practically guarnteed to pick a playmaker at #4 and pick near the top of every round.

The Titans have like 5 picks in the top 70 or something.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

agreed we have the worst roster in the division

In free agency, the draft and  during this offseason, we will probably add another 10+ players.  Give it a month or two.

Also, I'm not sure about lumping the Chargers in with the Browns and Jags.  The Chargers have made a Super Bowl, and had some top notch teams in the 70's, early 80's and then again in the 2000's.

It is way to early to assume the Colts have the worst roster in the AFC south. Even as bad as the last couple of off seasons we were still only one game out of making the playoffs in division.

I do agree that as a whole the other three teams have gotten better but I don't agree the Colts roster is at the bottom. We do have an offense that with a couple of sound players added can play with any team in the league. We also don't have to have world beaters on defense to win games. Our main problem was the line backing corps and lack of depth.

6 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

4: Jaguars- If the Browns and Chargers didnt exist possibly the saddest franchise in NFl lore, they also seem to win as many free agency periods as they do games, but with the addition of Coughlin and bringing in some new coaches, a lot of new talent to go with the high defensive picks they have had over the last few years. On paper the D is downright scary, yet they manage to still lose games. I wont believe it till i see it , but they have made a lot of moves the last 2 seasons. IMO still the weakest team in the division, but with the potential to be scary.

3: Colts- Yes i believe we are the third most talented team in the division. Optimism is in the air with the much anticipated firing of Grigs, CB brings a new hope of good things to come. We have Luck who is easily the best QB in the division and IMO top 5 in the league, but the rest of the roster outside of a few select players is substantially below the league standard, especially on defense. Luck gives us the potential to beat anyone, but that D has, can and will lose games for us until it gets fixed. Heres to CB bringing us back to the top.

2: Titans- This offense along with the Falcons was far and away the most potent in the league during certain times last season, i didnt do the research but if i remember correctly they scored over 40 3 games in a row and avg over 30 for the season. Mariota is no joke especially with that running game, imagine if they had a couple name brand receivers. Defense has been solid enough, this team scares me the most because of their potential to be so explosive.

1: Texans- Pretty much most people dub them a superbowl contender hands down if they could find a full time QB who can put up more than 14 points a game. Enough sayd there D is sick and i dont like them so im not going to write about them, cant wait to reclaim the divison. 

I like the thread man but dont just make up facts that are not true. If the Texans don't find a QB then I think the Titans have the overall best put together team in the AFC South. As for those false facts, the Titans only scored above 40 once in 2016 not 3 games in a row and only averaged about 25 points/game which is not bad but not 30.

Oh no, your division is still the worst in football and has been since the division realignment in 2002. How many AFC South teams have reached the AFCCG besides the Colts? None. Until the wheels came off this team, they benefited from 6 easy wins against the division and 5 easy wins against bad opponents to make an 11-5 record. Since Grigson run your team in the ground, the Colts finished 3rd place in the AFC South last year.

Every year, someone tries to "prove" the AFC South is some juggernaut tough competitive division, but fact remains that it never has been. It could be if Coughlin fixes things up in Jax, and if  Houston finds a quarterback and if Tennessee continues to hit on their draft picks of building a team around Mariota. 

We wasn't the weakest division it was nfc south....yeah carolina and atlanta went to the superbowl recently but look how long it took them to be that good for one season....carolina fell off hard this past season I think atlanta will too and tampa bay just barely made it at 8-8 and the saints been trash

15 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I think the jury is still out on this. Things can look good on paper but reality can be completely diffetent.

Ask this again at the end of the season.

How true. I remember when the Eagles built the so call dream team. How did that work out?

Just because a team signs a few big names does not automatically make them great. They have to have the coaching staff to bring out that as a unit. I just don't see that in Jacksonville or Tenn. Just like you said, ask at the end of the season.

Texans have the best defense but that defense is going to be on the filed for a very long time in games this coming season due to lack of a QB. The Jags have made some solid moves but they too have a QB issue. To me it is the Colts barely over the Titans if Luck's shoulder is OK. I think I read he is not going to play in any of the preseason games and that is worrisome.

45 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Let's not fool ourselves this division is getting much better but it still is bad. Until the division can put a wild card team in the playoffs along with the divison winner. 

Like the Manning/McNair days of the South!

5 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Oh no, your division is still the worst in football and has been since the division realignment in 2002. How many AFC South teams have reached the AFCCG besides the Colts? None. Until the wheels came off this team, they benefited from 6 easy wins against the division and 5 easy wins against bad opponents to make an 11-5 record. Since Grigson run your team in the ground, the Colts finished 3rd place in the AFC South last year.

Every year, someone tries to "prove" the AFC South is some juggernaut tough competitive division, but fact remains that it never has been. It could be if Coughlin fixes things up in Jax, and if  Houston finds a quarterback and if Tennessee continues to hit on their draft picks of building a team around Mariota. 

2007: Colts 13-3, Jaguars 11-5, Titans 10-6, Texans 8-8 ...every team at or above .500; 3 playoff teams including the AFC's #2 seed

2008: Titans 13-3, Colts 12-4, Titans 8-8, Jags 5-11...3/4 teams at or above .500; 2 playoff teams including the AFC's #1 seed (by record, the top 3 AFC seeds that year were Tennessee and a tie between Indy/Pitt)

2009: Colts 14-2, Texans 9-7, Titans, 8-8, Jags 7-9...3/4 teams at or above .500; Colts made the Super Bowl

I'm not trying to claim the AFC South is the best division in football, but to claim it's never been tough or competitive is simply not true.

Oh please the south still sucks lol these teams other than the colts have had top5-10 picks since Peyton's been here and still have been horrible..each of our teams are talented but neither (us of recently) have any clue how to put it together 

As far as bad divisions go, historically the AFC East has also been pretty bad. The pats have had a easy path to the division and a bye just handed to them for over a decade. The phinns, jets, and bills cant get a qb to save their life. How fortunate it was for the pats that when the Colts drafted Manning we were soon sent to another division.

The dolphins have had like 30 qb's start since Marino retired. They just now have some stability with Tannehill but he is nothing special.

46 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

As far as bad divisions go, historically the AFC East has also been pretty bad. The pats have had a easy path to the division and a bye just handed to them for over a decade. The phinns, jets, and bills cant get a qb to save their life. How fortunate it was for the pats that when the Colts drafted Manning we were soon sent to another division.

The dolphins have had like 30 qb's start since Marino retired. They just now have some stability with Tannehill but he is nothing special.

This is a conveniently forgotten truth. The AFC East has been a cupcake division at times. 

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

1. AFC WEST

2. AFC EAST

3. AFC NORTH

4. AFC SOUTH

Based off draft order we're still in the weakest division. We have 2 teams picking in the top 10. The Ravens and stealers pick after us. 

To be fair the Titans top 10 pick is from a trade. They technically pick 18th with their pick. Not the Titans fault that the Rams sucked. 

After seeing the Colts two-deep projected by Indy Star, we'd better hope we have the best draft in decades. As for the weakness of the AFC South, if this Colts team contends, then the division is still horrible. Goodbye, Chuck.

On 3/18/2017 at 0:45 PM, 21isSuperman said:

2007: Colts 13-3, Jaguars 11-5, Titans 10-6, Texans 8-8 ...every team at or above .500; 3 playoff 

I'm not trying to claim the AFC South is the best division in football, but to claim it's never been tough or competitive is simply not true.

As are most things Bogie posts

On 3/18/2017 at 6:50 AM, Synthetic said:

Oh no, your division is still the worst in football and has been since the division realignment in 2002. How many AFC South teams have reached the AFCCG besides the Colts? None

nit pickish, but the titans went the the AFC CG in 2002, the first year of the new afc south

the stats are funny though.  the colts still have more afc south titles than the rest of the division combined

Jacksonville has never won

The amount of times we have heard this rhetoric.

The Jags have supposedly been on the brink of turning it around for about the last 5 years... The titans always find a way to choke. The Texans can be good but they are inconsistent and still dont have a QB... And we are in rebuild mode...

I will believe it when I see it....