Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin

CR91

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Melvin is fine for depth. He's big and he can run, but he's not a good man corner. If we played more zone, he'd be a very good fit. Evidently the staff is more impressed with him than I am. I know we disagree, but I don't have high hopes for Melvin, not as a full time player. I hope I'm wrong.

As for the plan, I wouldn't mind if we draft a couple corners, with this draft having so many good prospects. I would have liked for us to sign a starter quality free agent -- my target would have been Kayvon Webster, who joined Wade Phillips with the Rams. I probably would have kept Robinson, playing him only at nickel. 

We don't have enough at corner, I agree. If Melvin winds up being in the top 4, I'll think Ballard didn't do a good job at corner this offseason. 

Well....

To be clear, in my write-up of Melvin I wrote that I thought he was a decent #4 corner and that I did NOT see him as anything more.     And then I added that I'd love to be wrong and would be happy if Melvin proved to be more than that.     But I wasn't expecting it.     And I doubt that Ballard is too,  no matter what the staff is saying....

Which means we need more quality talent at corner.     Maybe we spend a 1 and a 3 or a 1 and a 4 on corners?

Dunno?     But we need 'em....   of that I'm sure.....

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You and I have been having this dance for some time,  and I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right.....   I'm not saying that at all......       But what I am saying is you might want to HOPE that I'm right and you're wrong about Melvin or someone else.....     

Why?

Because, as I noted in another post,  I thought we'd sign a FA corner and it doesn't look like we will.     So, I just went through our current roster and it's my view that after Vonte,  Melvin is the 2nd best corner.

Here are the cast of suspects:

-- Vonte Davis

-- Charles James

-- Rashan Melvin

-- Christopher Milton

-- Tevin Mitchell

-- Darryl Morris

-- Larry Scott

-- Frankie Williams

So, I'm asking you....     if you don't like Melvin,  who, OTHER THAN VONTE, do you like to make the 53 man roster?      Seriously,  who?      And I didn't list Butler even though he maybe our slot corner.

So, I see Vonte...   and not much else if you don't like Melvin.     Who is going to play CB2?    If you think Butler is CB3,   who plays CB4 and CB5?    

Do you want/expect Ballard to spend TWO draft picks on corners?     At least THIS appears to be the draft to do it.      Who is going to fill all those spots opposite Vonte....    where are they coming from?

Does it now appear that Corner is our number one pressing need in this draft?      I often like to say there are lots of moving parts here but suddenly,  if you're right and I'm wrong,   we have a serious shortage of quality bodies....

Your thoughts.....

I'm not supe but I'm not high on Melvin. Certain matchups is ok but he plays with his hands WAY to much...penalty waiting to happen. Like his size and his fight but he just used his hands too much. Don't think I see that changing. Depth and special teams guy first and step in and play if there is an injury and I like him as a backup because he plays with confidence.

To answer your question I'm going to use your message. Yes we will certainly take a couple swings at this draft it would be criminal not to and I suspect one will be expected to contribute immediately. The other answer to your question is that our other starting corner is not on the roster likely and very possibly not in the draft. Many people would be wise to realize that free agency is far from over. Just the first wave. There will be another waive of cuts that will happen after the draft all the way up to training camp. With a great class of young corners there are definitely going to be more casualties after some teams draft some of these young studs they will start cutting some of these corners they have targeted to replace due to contracts or age or production. They will want to make sure the replacement is in the fold before moving on. I feel very confident there will be several starting caliber corners cut after this draft. That is where I expect to get our starting #2 with a draft pick groomed to take over that role quickly. Finally there will be final cuts when teams get down to the final 53 and I think we might see a corner picked up there too to upgrade from that list you have.

In the end I think Melvin is still on this roster but more of a back up role. I think we get multiple draft picks and we pick up a free agent later to start opposite Vontae. I do think we have enough confidence in Melvin to fill in if all else fails because we cut Robinson pretty quickly who while underperformed wasn't on a totally awful contract...so give Melvin that credit. I think Ballard values his size and work ethic more than his skill however. Melvin should be one of those corners you have that is bigger and hopefully less susceptible to an injury when making tackles etc and you need that dependability. So long winded answer but our #2 corner is not on the roster in my opinion. I just think people need to realize there are two more waives of free agency yet to come. We will see Ballard shop all three to fill the roster not just at corner but our other holes. Ballard has saved money to attack that phase too.

I like that we've kept Melvin.  He's a solid corner that is worthy of a roster spot, although I have absolutely no problem with corner(s) being drafted.   Even if he gets beat out he's still a great depth piece in the end.  I don't really see big money being paid to another corner to get that #2 spot.  Years ago we did that with Toler and that didn't really pan out.   Melvin to me is better than Toler was and plays the deep ball better.  And this is without having to shell out big bucks for the guy.  I have no complaints.  Just waiting to see the young corners we'll probably take in the draft to add to the competition.

Like it or not Melvin is going to be in the mix. We'll draft a player high at CB and the competition will be wide open to start camp. There is nothing saying that Melvin cannot improve on what I thought was a decent season from him last year. He got thrown into the fire and I thought he played pretty decent given the circumstances.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

I think Melvin is fine for depth. He's big and he can run, but he's not a good man corner. If we played more zone, he'd be a very good fit. Evidently the staff is more impressed with him than I am. I know we disagree, but I don't have high hopes for Melvin, not as a full time player. I hope I'm wrong.

As for the plan, I wouldn't mind if we draft a couple corners, with this draft having so many good prospects. I would have liked for us to sign a starter quality free agent -- my target would have been Kayvon Webster, who joined Wade Phillips with the Rams. I probably would have kept Robinson, playing him only at nickel. 

We don't have enough at corner, I agree. If Melvin winds up being in the top 4, I'll think Ballard didn't do a good job at corner this offseason. 

I really, really agree with this post.

I like melvin's effort but if he plays a major role for us we're in trouble.

I was hoping for a top FA CB signing and Robinson should have been brought back for the slot .

Looks like we need 2 CB's in Draft and with a aging Davis and a couple rooks our secondary may have a long season.

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I really, really agree with this post.

I like melvin's effort but if he plays a major role for us we're in trouble.

I was hoping for a top FA CB signing and Robinson should have been brought back for the slot .

Looks like we need 2 CB's in Draft and with a aging Davis and a couple rooks our secondary may have a long season.

I didn't even need a top corner, but I expected someone to come in, especially after Robinson was cut. I know he wasn't great, and had injuries, but he could have played inside. Maybe the staff was down on him.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't even need a top corner, but I expected someone to come in, especially after Robinson was cut. I know he wasn't great, and had injuries, but he could have played inside. Maybe the staff was down on him.

We can't have too many injury prone corners on the roster or we'll end up in a position like last year. Also Robinson seemed like the type to not push through minor injuries.

Melvin would be absolutely fine as the 4th corner. He came in and played fairly well without much of an offseason to work with. His game against the Packers was the second best cornerback performance of the season for this team.