Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin

CR91

4 hours ago, will426 said:

He actually did decent with the lack of pass rush.. but it's hard to judge who did good until we get a better rush..yet we clearly can see Robinson/green did not deserve to be covering anyone lol 

He made some plays last year and has good size. Like you said, it's really hard to judge, due to lack of pass rush. At very least, he can provide good depth, should we lose starters due to injuries.

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Since we still havent signed a CB to play outside of vontae, how would you feel if melvin was the opening day starter? he did play pretty well last year

The only way Melvin will be the opening day starter is if a rash of injuries hit in training camp.  I am sure they will be taking at least 1 CB in the draft, and likely more than that.

So to your question - I would not feel very good about it.

I don't think he'll be the starter come week 1. I think that honour will go to a draft pick. I wouldn't hate it if he was at all. Always good to get someone like him some starting experience in a year where we aren't expecting huge dividends. Although I fully expect CB to take advantage of this loaded corner class.

In the end Melvin played well enough last year to be in the conversation for a starting spot imo.

6 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

If the majority of fans had an issue with Toler and Robinson, I have no idea why Melvin would be considered acceptable.

melvin is paid like a below average talent, the other two not so much.

4 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah I don't know where people are getting this from he was getting beat alot last season

This is the nature of the Colts forum. People get man crushes on project players and purely rotational guys with this idea that every guy has some untapped potential to be a solid starter. I'd be concerned if we opened up with Melvin as the starting CB opposite Vontae.

If we go into the season with Melvin as our second corner-even if they draft a rookie, I'd be worried. There's no depth, and the few talented guys we have (Geathers and Davis) are prone  to injury. I know it's a stacked corner class, and I fully believe we can get quality players deep into day 2 even day 3, but they'd be rookies. Gonna need some time.

I don't trust Melvin, at all. And if Davis gets hurt/regresses again this year than they'd be in a lot of trouble.

Ballard is all about competition at every spot. There is no way we go into the season in a situation where Melvin is basically guaranteed to start. What is more likely is that we have atleast 1 (or maybe 2!) CBs drafted in the first four rounds that will compete with everyone to start. 

Ballard is not joking about this competition thing and I love it. Even if that means bringing in a ton of guys that might or might not be good, competition is never a bad thing. Bring in a late round TE to compete with Swoope, Bring in a late round or UDFA Safety to compete with Green. Bring in a RB from the draft and several in UDFAs to compete with our current guys, etc....

I have to believe we're taking a corner in either the 1st or 2nd round and we plan to have that player start opposite Vonte....

And I think that's the right thing to do. 

I thought we'd sign a quality FA corner,  but we didn't....   so that ship has sailed.     We wisely brought Butler back,  but he's our slot guy.

I like Melvin...   6'2" and 195,  he's got the body....   And since I don't think he's got great athleticism,  what I like is that he's feisty...     he competes like mad....    he never seems to give up on a play.    I like that in a corner.   But he may have a ceiling where he's only our 4th corner.     At this point,  I don't see him as a starter,   but I would LOVE to be proven wrong.     I'd be happy if he was the surprise of camp and proves to be more than I think he is.     I think he belongs on a roster and can play,   I just don't think he's CB1 or CB2.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ballard will draft 2 CBs next month.

I was hoping he wouldn't have to.

I was hoping he'd sign a FA corner and then only need to take one corner in the draft.

We have so many needs that I don't like using two picks on corners....   of course, the silver lining is that this is a great class for corners,  so there is that....

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Melvin is not good. 

You and I have been having this dance for some time,  and I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right.....   I'm not saying that at all......       But what I am saying is you might want to HOPE that I'm right and you're wrong about Melvin or someone else.....     

Why?

Because, as I noted in another post,  I thought we'd sign a FA corner and it doesn't look like we will.     So, I just went through our current roster and it's my view that after Vonte,  Melvin is the 2nd best corner.

Here are the cast of suspects:

-- Vonte Davis

-- Charles James

-- Rashan Melvin

-- Christopher Milton

-- Tevin Mitchell

-- Darryl Morris

-- Larry Scott

-- Frankie Williams

So, I'm asking you....     if you don't like Melvin,  who, OTHER THAN VONTE, do you like to make the 53 man roster?      Seriously,  who?      And I didn't list Butler even though he maybe our slot corner.

So, I see Vonte...   and not much else if you don't like Melvin.     Who is going to play CB2?    If you think Butler is CB3,   who plays CB4 and CB5?    

Do you want/expect Ballard to spend TWO draft picks on corners?     At least THIS appears to be the draft to do it.      Who is going to fill all those spots opposite Vonte....    where are they coming from?

Does it now appear that Corner is our number one pressing need in this draft?      I often like to say there are lots of moving parts here but suddenly,  if you're right and I'm wrong,   we have a serious shortage of quality bodies....

Your thoughts.....

Melvin is a good backup. While Ballard was with KC, they drafted CB's every year, it seemed to be a position he (they) feel strongly about. I expect the Colts to draft a couple of corners and would not be suprised if we take one at 15.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You and I have been having this dance for some time,  and I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right.....   I'm not saying that at all......       But what I am saying is you might want to HOPE that I'm right and you're wrong about Melvin or someone else.....     

Why?

Because, as I noted in another post,  I thought we'd sign a FA corner and it doesn't look like we will.     So, I just went through our current roster and it's my view that after Vonte,  Melvin is the 2nd best corner.

Here are the cast of suspects:

-- Vonte Davis

-- Charles James

-- Rashan Melvin

-- Christopher Milton

-- Tevin Mitchell

-- Darryl Morris

-- Larry Scott

-- Frankie Williams

So, I'm asking you....     if you don't like Melvin,  who, OTHER THAN VONTE, do you like to make the 53 man roster?      Seriously,  who?      And I didn't list Butler even though he maybe our slot corner.

So, I see Vonte...   and not much else if you don't like Melvin.     Who is going to play CB2?    If you think Butler is CB3,   who plays CB4 and CB5?    

Do you want/expect Ballard to spend TWO draft picks on corners?     At least THIS appears to be the draft to do it.      Who is going to fill all those spots opposite Vonte....    where are they coming from?

Does it now appear that Corner is our number one pressing need in this draft?      I often like to say there are lots of moving parts here but suddenly,  if you're right and I'm wrong,   we have a serious shortage of quality bodies....

Your thoughts.....

I think Melvin is fine for depth. He's big and he can run, but he's not a good man corner. If we played more zone, he'd be a very good fit. Evidently the staff is more impressed with him than I am. I know we disagree, but I don't have high hopes for Melvin, not as a full time player. I hope I'm wrong.

As for the plan, I wouldn't mind if we draft a couple corners, with this draft having so many good prospects. I would have liked for us to sign a starter quality free agent -- my target would have been Kayvon Webster, who joined Wade Phillips with the Rams. I probably would have kept Robinson, playing him only at nickel. 

We don't have enough at corner, I agree. If Melvin winds up being in the top 4, I'll think Ballard didn't do a good job at corner this offseason.