Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kamar Aiken (WR) in for a visit today

Interesting guy, possession type receiver and big-bodied. Would love to sign him as a WR3 insurance policy for injuries and/or Dorsett continuing to suck. Had a career year where almost put up 1000 yards when he was given a chance to start for almost a full season. Would certainly be a plug and play type guy that Luck would benefit from. 

Hopefully he isn't too expensive but somewhere south of 6 million a year for like 2-3 years would be a steal! Spotrac projects him at 7.5 million a year market value but I feel that that is pretty high for a #3 guy. He is only 28 as well. 

20 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Interesting guy, possession type receiver and big-bodied. Would love to sign him as a WR3 insurance policy for injuries and/or Dorsett continuing to suck. Had a career year where almost put up 1000 yards when he was given a chance to start for almost a full season. Would certainly be a plug and play type guy that Luck would benefit from. 

Hopefully he isn't too expensive but somewhere south of 6 million a year for like 2-3 years would be a steal! Spotrac projects him at 7.5 million a year market value but I feel that that is pretty high for a #3 guy. He is only 28 as well. 

I think Spotrac is way high on this one. I would guess around 4.5 .

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

At best.

LOL.. I was going to add "tops" to my post but didn't want to look like a donkey if he got around 5.5 to 6. I mean 7.5 is some kind of statistical anomaly or just a typo ? If I had to give a # , I would say around 2 years at 6.5 mill.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

What do you guys think of a 1-yr "show me" deal with Michael Floyd? I think he'd provide Luck the end zone target and underneath big body to move the chains as well. If he can prove it for a year, we go from there.

In a perfect world, our WR4 doesn't get any reps, which means he'd prove nothing. I'd rather add someone who can be a factor on special teams.

Just now, Superman said:

In a perfect world, our WR4 doesn't get any reps, which means he'd prove nothing. I'd rather add someone who can be a factor on special teams.

I somehow doubt we'd bring in Floyd for playing WR4, his ceiling is better than that.

If we signed Kamar Aiken and paid him atleast 4-5 million a year, I can almost guarantee he will instantly be above Dorsett on the depth chart and would get significant playing time, especially in the end zone. 3 WRs out on the field for most routes is the norm nowadays. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I somehow doubt we'd bring in Floyd for playing WR4, his ceiling is better than that.

So if the idea is upgrading or pushing Dorsett (or even Moncrief), I don't see Floyd being the guy on whom you take that chance.

I don't even want Aiken. Adjust the passing offense and use Dorsett properly, IMO, and we have a good top 3.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

So if the idea is upgrading or pushing Dorsett (or even Moncrief), I don't see Floyd being the guy on whom you take that chance.

I don't even want Aiken. Adjust the passing offense and use Dorsett properly, IMO, and we have a good top 3.

I agree . I would much rather Rodgers get that playing time and save the cap room.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

LOL.. I was going to add "tops" to my post but didn't want to look like a donkey if he got around 5.5 to 6. I mean 7.5 is some kind of statistical anomaly or just a typo ? If I had to give a # , I would say around 2 years at 6.5 mill.

That sounds like a good contract for him.  We really need to add a guy with some size.

1) We should have actually tried to land Jeffery. I just don't think we did. I think we messed around and put out false info for various reasons. No visit. Nothing. And I'm sure he would have loved to play with 12 instead of Wentz. Wentz is a really good looking QB but not Luck. But if not then why not Pryor???  Or Marshall??? We could have landed 1.

2) I think Rogers could be about as good as Aiken. I mean if we want a difference maker trade for Gordon. Or sign Floyd.

3) I wouldn't be mad if we signed Aiken, I just think Floyd or trading for Gordon would be better.

4) Hopefully if we do sign Aiken he's the 4th WR because we witness a breakout year from Dorsett, and Crief stays healthy.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Yep...someone to push Dorsett and Moncrief and Rogers on the roster. Need to light a fire under these guys rears. Create competition EVERYWHERE.

I'm guessing he suspects Dorsett is a bust and is questioning whether he wants to pay Moncrief or not.  If so, it's better to be proactive and give the guy a year of work with Luck before making a decision on either.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Dorsett is a nightmare waiting to happen...Give him the right coach and watch..

Wow, this pretty much has turned into a bash Dorsett thread.

Dorsett is only going into his 3rd year and it is not unusual for a WR to take 3 years to learn to play in the NFL. He has been 3rd on the depth chart and really hasn't had too many chances to show much of anything. He is on a team who's QB does not have the time to go through his progressions and runs for his life without having the chance to find the 3rd receiver. He is still on his rookie contract so it don't cost much to give him a chance to show what he showed in collage.

Just because he was drafted by Grigson there is no need to throw him under the bus just yet.

NOT FLOYD!! 

Honestly, A-N-Y-O-N-E but Floyd. While living in AZ, I followed the Cards and knew something was up these past two season with him. Last season & the one before, he had focus issues and was said by the Coach Arians to be, "Trying too hard & just needs to let the game come to him".

Coming out of Notre Dame he had the DUI, a concern. THEN he had his DUI last season but THAT WASN'T WHY HE WAS CUT. The story goes... Floyd spoke with the AZ Front Office and showed a complete lack of care about the DUI and THEN he was cut. Later, there were reports about a drinking problem. So consider him to be more of a Johnny Manziel than a future Colt.

13 hours ago, dw49 said:

This is a total brain cramp from Spotrac.    Completely bizarre.

I had never heard of this guy until today....     here are his catches the last 3 years...  29, 75, 24.    I was impressed at the 75 for nearly 1,000 yards.     Wow, like I said never heard of him before.

But look at who Spotrac compared him to to establish his worth...     the worst is this guy...

-- Travis Benjamin....   his catches...  47, 68, 18...

-- Marvin Jones.....                             55,65, 51, 48.

-- Michael Crabtree                            89, 85, 68, 85, 72, 55, 48.

-- Mohamad Sanu                              59, 33, 56, 47

A reminder,  here are Aiken's catches...     29,  75,  24.

What is wrong with this picture.     How did Spotrac come up with these comparisons?     If I'm Aiken,  I'm loving this.     I'm sure the agent is happy.     But how do you bring this guy back to reality.    I'd peg his value at closer to  3/12 and not 4/30.       I'll be watching what he signs for.....   very curious to see how this shakes out.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I had never heard of this guy until today....     here are his catches the last 3 years...  29, 75, 24.    I was impressed at the 75 for nearly 1,000 yards.     Wow, like I said never heard of him before.

But look at who Spotrac compared him to to establish his worth...     the worst is this guy...

What is wrong with this picture.     How did Spotrac come up with these comparisons?     If I'm Aiken,  I'm loving this.     I'm sure the agent is happy.     But how do you bring this guy back to reality.    I'd peg his value at closer to  3/12 and not 4/30.       I'll be watching what he signs for.....   very curious to see how this shakes out.

Plus he was a spare part last year for a team that was not "rich" in WR talent.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He got his 75 when the Raven good WRs were all injured.  

Eh, can't hurt to bring him in and kick the tires, but I'd like to see them continue to bring in D players to at least up the competition.  

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed that the valuation is off and that he may not fully compare to some of the guys listed. 

That said, WRs are getting paid this off-season. Sure Pryor and Jeffery took below market 1 year deals. But guys like Stills, Britt, heck even Thielen got paid. Those guys are making $8M a year for Britt and Stills and Thielen is getting $6m a year w incentives that could bump it to $9M. So the going rate for a decent WR is set at the $6-8M range. 

My guess is thats what a place like Sportstrac is seeing. I agree w you and others that I'd place Aiken's value more in the $4-5M range where guys like Kendall Wright signed. But if Markus Wheaton is worth 2 years and $11M then Aiken is probably worth around what Wheaton and Thielen got. Somewhere in the 2-3 years for $12-18M range. 

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He got his 75 when the Raven good WRs were all injured.  

Eh, can't hurt to bring him in and kick the tires, but I'd like to see them continue to bring in D players to at least up the competition.  

I'm not saying he isn't a good player, and I noted a year ago he had 75 catches....

But with basically one good season Spotrac comped with 4 WR's who are very good and have had multiple years of catches in the 50 to 85 range.       The comps appear all wrong to me.

I don't mind bringing him in for a look,  but I see him as more of a 4th WR,  or at best,  a 3rd WR,  and I don't think that's what this guy wants in the prime of his career,  he's 27.      He's looking for starter money and I don't think he's going to find it.  

It looks to me with the interest in Jeffreys and Aiken, both Big Body Physical receivers, Ballard wants someone opposite playing style of T.Y. to compliment him. Jefferys wouldn't have been less than a #2wr with his salary. I'm guessing Aiken would be at least a #3 maybe a #2wr.

Someone's playing time will be decreased but most likey be playing somewhere else.

I'm guessing Moncreif.

What interested me about this possibility is that this FA WR only wanted to interview with the Colts and the Seahawks. It tells me that this guy knows that he would be a great fit for Andrew. He has the speed to stretch the field and goes over the middle. Good hands and route.

3 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

What interested me about this possibility is that this FA WR only wanted to interview with the Colts and the Seahawks. It tells me that this guy knows that he would be a great fit for Andrew. He has the speed to stretch the field and goes over the middle. Good hands and route.

Kamar Aiken is the name, and no. But I'm sure either I or one of our fine forum members who have mastered the art of embedding tweets and have stolen my job ( :P ) will post the news if he or anyone else signs with us