Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quality NT prospects in Draft

From what I've seen, I haven't noticed many good NT prospects in this year's draft class. There's good depth at DT, but most of them don't have the size that you need for a dominant NT eating up blockers.

I'm still holding out hope that Ballard can sign Hankins to an affordable contract.

Another option I'd hugely be in favor of is trading for NT Danny Shelton from Cleveland since they are moving to a 4-3.

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

I like Eddie Vanderdoes and Dalvin Domlinson from the draft. I wouldn't mind spending a 4th on either of them.

You think Dalvin can play Nose? I've thought he was more of a 3 tech kinda guy, but I haven't watched too much of him so I'm not too sure...

8 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

You think Dalvin can play Nose? I've thought he was more of a 3 tech kinda guy, but I haven't watched too much of him so I'm not too sure...

Well with most DTs from college it's projection, because there aren't many natural NTs. He has good length and good frame, he can add some more weight IMO. He's been a stout run defender and has great strength at the point of attack. I'm not certain he can be a NT, but I can envision him being able to be one.

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Stevie Tu'ikolovatu in the 4th/5th

Tu'iklolavatu would be my choice too. He's the most prototypical NT in this draft and draws a lot of comparisons to  Brandon Williams. If he can play anywhere near that level, he'd be a fantastic NT. The only knock against him is his age, but D-linemen often don't hit their prime until their mid-to-late 20's anyhow and often play well into their 30's, so that may not be a huge concern.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Well with most DTs from college it's projection, because there aren't many natural NTs. He has good length and good frame, he can add some more weight IMO. He's been a stout run defender and has great strength at the point of attack.

Very true and valid points!!! And it seems like it's getting harder and harder to really find those true quality 330 pound gap plugging NT anymore. It seems like with today's NFL, NT are getting to be a little smaller in wight and girth but becoming more atheltic and able to get up and down the LOS. Although somehow Baltimore seems to find and develop NTs without much of an issue.

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

Tu'iklolavatu would be my choice too. He's the most prototypical NT in this draft and draws a lot of comparisons to  Brandon Williams. If he can play anywhere near that level, he'd be a fantastic NT. The only knock against him is his age, but D-linemen often don't hit their prime until their mid-to-late 20's anyhow and often play well into their 30's, so that may not be a huge concern.

Age isn't an issue for me.  So he plays in the NFL for 6 years instead of 10.  Chances are we'd move on from him, or him from us, during that 10 year period anyway.

He's not a great fit for a 4-3, and many other teams have their NT, so I'm hoping he would be there at our final 4th or 5th.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wouldn't mind picking up Caleb Brantley at all

Brantley is pretty small for a NT. Although in our scheme the NT doesn't have to be Wilfork size haha 

I like Jarron Jones. Big, athletic, and powerful guy. 

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Brantley is pretty small for a NT. Although in our scheme the NT doesn't have to be Wilfork size haha 

I like Jarron Jones. Big, athletic, and powerful guy. 

Brantley has really good play strength at the point of attack.  I don't think we need anybody that's real huge.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

Brantley has really good play strength at the point of attack.  I don't think we need anybody that's real huge.

I love how explosive Brantley can be. At times he knifes through blockers almost like they're not even there. 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Didn't we have Lawrence Guy a while ago? How on earth did he score a 4 yr. $20 mil. contract with the Patriots? I guess he fits a 4-3 system better, it looks like.

Letting him go was one of Grigon's mistakes, IMO.  He was on the roster then waived in a numbers game and I think got signed by SD before we could put him on our practice squad.  He's been a steady player but I don't think he's a 34 NT.  Still would rather have him than Jones.

DeAngelo Brown, NT, Louisville in the 5th would be a nice addition. Strictly as a run stuffer though. Although he is ranked in the top 25 as a interior pass rusher he is still not that effective IMO.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-pff-101-best-players-fournette-mccaffrey-garrett/

95.  DeAngelo Brown, DT, Louisville

While first round defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins got most of the publicity, Brown was a quiet anchor up front for the Cardinals, ranking in the top-25 in both run defense and pass rushing among returning interior defensive linemen. On 948 snaps the last two years, Brown’s posted an outstanding overall grade and an extended workload should give him the recognition he deserves in 2016.

51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Didn't we have Lawrence Guy a while ago? How on earth did he score a 4 yr. $20 mil. contract with the Patriots? I guess he fits a 4-3 system better, it looks like.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here wanted to keep him. I thought he played well when he was given the chance, but for some odd reason they thought Ricardo Matthews was the better player and Guy was let go. 

16 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I love how explosive Brantley can be. At times he knifes through blockers almost like they're not even there. 

I'd be fine with him and another Vet.  Same way the Texans did it with Wilfork and DJ Reader.

8 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here wanted to keep him. I thought he played well when he was given the chance, but for some odd reason they thought Ricardo Matthews was the better player and Guy was let go. 

Yeah.  That was the numbers game I was thinking of.  And I think Matthews was an undersized DT from the Dungy regime, but Guy was signed by Grigson to be a true 34 DE, but somehow got waived instead of Matthews.  Matthews was then let go at the end of that season, IIRC.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

From what I've seen, I haven't noticed many good NT prospects in this year's draft class. There's good depth at DT, but most of them don't have the size that you need for a dominant NT eating up blockers.

I'm still holding out hope that Ballard can sign Hankins to an affordable contract.

Another option I'd hugely be in favor of is trading for NT Danny Shelton from Cleveland since they are moving to a 4-3.

I have been suggesting that trade for a long time now.  He's still on his rookie contract and the fact that there has been no hint of a Hankins visit makes me think he will start to look at trades like this.  The fact he tried for Poe and signed a backup NT tells me he realizes it's an important position in our defense and that he is trying to address it. 

I like Jarron Jones and Tu'ikolovatu the most. Tuik being my choice. I love DJ Jones if he can play up to his potential. If he puts it all together he could be a star IMO. But he's inconsistent as hell. Vanderdoes has some potential too. Not sold on Watkins yet. Give me Tu'ik with one of our 4's

12 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I like Jarron Jones and Tu'ikolovatu the most. Tuik being my choice. I love DJ Jones if he can play up to his potential. If he puts it all together he could be a star IMO. But he's inconsistent as hell. Vanderdoes has some potential too. Not sold on Watkins yet. Give me Tu'ik with one of our 4's

How do you think Jones projects as a NT? I saw his tape and was blown away by his play. But at 6'6", I wonder if his best position is NT or 5-tech.

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

How do you think Jones projects as a NT? I saw his tape and was blown away by his play. But at 6'6", I wonder if his best position is NT or 5-tech.

That's pretty tall for a NT and more along the size you'd want at 5-tech. I haven't watch his tape yet, but I'll have to take a look now.

Edit: There are a few top NT's that are taller like Linval Joseph & Damon Harrison, but most seem to be in the 6'1"-6'3" range.

I like Tomlinson, Qualls, and Watkins.  I think there's a chance Watkins is still around at pick 122, but the truth is with so few, I don't think anyone of any quality at NT lasts past pick 80 for us - I mean to say, if the Colts want/need one, it's got to be in the first three picks.  There are rotation, handful of play bodies later, but I don't think there is an impact/difference maker later. 

Vanderdoes is intriguing to me too - if he ever gets his game/motivation/health/motor back, he'd be a steal late.  If, if, if, if, if...

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he could play NT or DE/DT. I could see him (If he pans out) being a stud 3 down NT, a 3-tech, or a 5. He can play anywhere along our D-Line. He's like super long and really athletic for 6'6 316. So I'm not sure which position he would be best suited for in the NFL, but like I said I think he has the ability to play all 3 spots on our D-Line. But there are some things that are kinda scary about him. Work ethic, his love for the game, taking plays off, plus some injuries. I like a NT who can do a bit of everything. An athletic 3 down NT, which is hard to find LOL, but I think he has the potential to be a beast, but he also has the potential be a bust. Talent wise I'd say he's a 2-3 range, but I think he falls to the 4th because of the negatives I listed above. Given the choice I'd take Tu'ik in the 4th over Jones. Like I said. He's my main guy at NT as of now, and more of a true blue NT.

2 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I like Tomlinson, Qualls, and Watkins.  I think there's a chance Watkins is still around at pick 122, but the truth is with so few, I don't think anyone of any quality at NT lasts past pick 80 for us - I mean to say, if the Colts want/need one, it's got to be in the first three picks.  There are rotation, handful of play bodies later, but I don't think there is an impact/difference maker later. 

Vanderdoes is intriguing to me too - if he ever gets his game/motivation/health/motor back, he'd be a steal late.  If, if, if, if, if...

Watkins tore up my Buckeyes, I was sick of seeing him.  But Bama played him well.  I'm not sure what he'll do as a pro.  

Adams from Auburn may be there in the third.  

I think you nailed it, probably anyone we get past the third is going to be just another guy.  Probably no better than Kerr, Jones, and Parry.  No real impact players.  

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I think he could play NT or DE/DT. I could see him (If he pans out) being a stud 3 down NT, a 3-tech, or a 5. He can play anywhere along our D-Line. He's like super long and really athletic for 6'6 316. So I'm not sure which position he would be best suited for in the NFL, but like I said I think he has the ability to play all 3 spots on our D-Line. But there are some things that are kinda scary about him. Work ethic, his love for the game, taking plays off, plus some injuries. I like a NT who can do a bit of everything. An athletic 3 down NT, which is hard to find LOL, but I think he has the potential to be a beast, but he also has the potential be a bust. Talent wise I'd say he's a 2-3 range, but I think he falls to the 4th because of the negatives I listed above. Given the choice I'd take Tu'ik in the 4th over Jones. Like I said. He's my main guy at NT as of now, and more of a true blue NT.

Wouldn't be bad to draft both IMO. Jones could play the 5 and Stevie the nose.  If Parry is released you have to draft someone. How do you feel about Montravious Adams?

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Wouldn't be bad to draft both IMO. Jones could play the 5 and Stevie the nose.  If Parry is released you have to draft someone. How do you feel about Montravious Adams?

Not really a fan of Adams. I'm watching the UK game LOL, so I'll explain why in a few.