Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders Scared Away Zach Brown.....

Although there is a need at ILB, this guy scares me.  Reported to be inconsistent.  Gives a rather flippant tweet.  Then claims to be an offended (victim) because not enough millions were throw his way.

Sounds like a player to avoid under normal circumstances.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Although there is a need at ILB, this guy scares me.  Reported to be inconsistent.  Gives a rather flippant tweet.  Then claims to be an offended (victim) because not enough millions were throw his way.

Not to mention the fact that he is looking to be PAID this offseason, probably more so than the majority of teams, including ours, value him at. 

I say 7-8 million a year for 3-4 years would be doable. Anything above that and I am out. Give me Kevin Minter at like 5-6 million a year instead! Doesn't get a lot of love from the media or average NFL fans but is definitely a good defensive piece that would fill a huge need for us. And then we can draft the other ILB in the draft.

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed!

15 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Not to mention the fact that he is looking to be PAID this offseason, probably more so than the majority of teams, including ours, value him at. 

I say 7-8 million a year for 3-4 years would be doable. Anything above that and I am out. Give me Kevin Minter at like 5-6 million a year instead! Doesn't get a lot of love from the media or average NFL fans but is definitely a good defensive piece that would fill a huge need for us. And then we can draft the other ILB in the draft.

I'd MUCH prefer Minter at this point. That tweet rubbed me the wrong way and I was already on the fence about him due to the inconsistency. I think Minter and drafting Reddick would give us an AMAZING ILB duo.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Agreed!

I'd MUCH prefer Minter at this point. That tweet rubbed me the wrong way and I was already on the fence about him due to the inconsistency. I think Minter and drafting Reddick would give us an AMAZING ILB duo.

kinda like you know nothing about Mintor. He is a mediocrity. Height, weight, speed he is DQ without all the tackles.

20 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

kinda like you know nothing about Mintor. He is a mediocrity. Height, weight, speed he is DQ without all the tackles.

I actually know a decent amount about both. Minter is stability at a crucial defensive position. I'd much rather have Minter's mediocre 100% every play than Brown's 100% for a few plays then 30% for a few because he loses motivation. Not everyone on your team is going to be a pro bowler. You need guys that can consistently do their job and allow the stars to shine.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

LOL.

Why "LOL"? For a guy that "lost motivation" to play well the 2nd half of the season, then tweets something like that when he doesn't get the money he thinks he's worth tells me that he has a crap attitude. That's not the kind of guy you want in your locker room, let alone potentially leading your defense.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

then tweets something like that when he doesn't get the money he thinks he's worth tells me that he has a crap attitude.

I know I wasn't in the conversation, but it's unreasonable to try to judge someone's character on the basis of what they tweet, or how they celebrate in the end zone, or whatever other reasons we're coming up with lately to say why we don't like players from thousand miles away.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I know I wasn't in the conversation, but it's unreasonable to try to judge someone's character on the basis of what they tweet, or how they celebrate in the end zone, or whatever other reasons we're coming up with lately to say why we don't like players from thousand miles away.

Nicely Put

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think yo ucan make judgments about them when they tweet.  I don't think that those judgments should override what we see on the field.  But certainly you can add it to the list of other things he says and does that would make up his character.  And I think everyone here has a threshhold of what they wouldn't accept in a player.  This tweet shouldn't cause anyone to be like, "nope, don't want you here."  But if he later started dogging in on the field and making it known that he was unhappy with the team, you couldn't really say that you never saw it coming.

26 minutes ago, Shive said:

Why "LOL"? For a guy that "lost motivation" to play well the 2nd half of the season, then tweets something like that when he doesn't get the money he thinks he's worth tells me that he has a crap attitude. That's not the kind of guy you want in your locker room, let alone potentially leading your defense.

Because you don't want a guy on your team over a completely ambiguous tweet, that could literally mean anything. Considering how badly we need ILBs, yes, I find that to be laughable.

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think yo ucan make judgments about them when they tweet.  I don't think that those judgments should override what we see on the field.  But certainly you can add it to the list of other things he says and does that would make up his character.  And I think everyone here has a threshhold of what they wouldn't accept in a player.  This tweet shouldn't cause anyone to be like, "nope, don't want you here."  But if he later started dogging in on the field and making it known that he was unhappy with the team, you couldn't really say that you never saw it coming.

Yeah, I mostly disagree, specifically in this case. If someone tweets something offensive, that's a different story.

Saying 'his tweet proves he has a bad attitude and I don't want him in the locker room' is more outrageous, to me, than his actual tweet saying they didn't offer him enough money (as if we don't know good free agents want to be paid). 

And the bigger issue is this idea that people feel comfortable judging other people based on the tiny snippets of information we get about them when they open up a little bit. Not to mention the double standard that leads to complaining about public figures who refuse to open up to avoid being subjected to this unfair judgment.

All JMO.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well stated.

@Superman I can definitely agree that those things independently shouldn't be the sole source of determining character. For me, the inconsistent effort on the field was a red flag and the tweet another. I'm just not a fan of someone airing their dirty laundry like that.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Because you don't want a guy on your team over a completely ambiguous tweet, that could literally mean anything. Considering how badly we need ILBs, yes, I find that to be laughable.

See above. It's not all about the tweet. We need ILB's, but Ballard has preached locker room fit and his lack of effort the 2nd half of the season, coupled with publicly laughing at the Raiders' offer makes me think he wouldn't be a great fit. I feel that if he did that after visiting us, the tune would be a bit different.

Its not unreasonable at all to judge his personality.   What he has said was self-centered, because he somehow thinks everybody needs to know how he feels, especially if he feels he was treated negatively.  Celebrating the positive is different than complaining to the world you've been slighted.  Boo hoo.

You can accurately judge someone in a matter of minutes.  Its actually not that hard and it should be done way more often.  

No one's saying he's a rapist or a thug.  But a mouthy malcontent?  Yes, a greater than 50% chance.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

See above. It's not all about the tweet. We need ILB's, but Ballard has preached locker room fit and his lack of effort the 2nd half of the season, coupled with publicly laughing at the Raiders' offer makes me think he wouldn't be a great fit. I feel that if he did that after visiting us, the tune would be a bit different.

The Raiders are a tough sell right now because of the fact that they're very likely moving to Las Vegas. The tweet could've easily meant that the money wasn't right if it meant living in a seedy dump like Vegas.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

@Superman I can definitely agree that those things independently shouldn't be the sole source of determining character. For me, the inconsistent effort on the field was a red flag and the tweet another. I'm just not a fan of someone airing their dirty laundry like that.

That's a different double standard, IMO. It's okay for us to discuss what players are worth and how much money they make, but we frown upon the player doing it himself? At least we know that he didn't sign with the Raiders because he didn't like the offer... 

If you call it unprofessional, I'd agree. I don't think it speaks to his character, attitude, or locker room presence. Again, IMO.

16 minutes ago, Shive said:

I can definitely agree that those things independently shouldn't be the sole source of determining character. For me, the inconsistent effort on the field was a red flag and the tweet another. I'm just not a fan of someone airing their dirty laundry like that.

Agreed.  Telling the world that the last team(s) you visited is laughable is the sign of someone a bit off in the understanding of professionalism.

It wouldn't keep me from signing him however, but I'd think twice about the level of guaranteed money now than a few days ago.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I mostly disagree, specifically in this case. If someone tweets something offensive, that's a different story.

Saying 'his tweet proves he has a bad attitude and I don't want him in the locker room' is more outrageous, to me, than his actual tweet saying they didn't offer him enough money (as if we don't know good free agents want to be paid). 

And the bigger issue is this idea that people feel comfortable judging other people based on the tiny snippets of information we get about them when they open up a little bit. Not to mention the double standard that leads to complaining about public figures who refuse to open up to avoid being subjected to this unfair judgment.

All JMO.

To be clear, I'm not advocating making sweeping judgments about a person's character on the basis looking at a tweet in a vacuum.  I still think taht everything we say and do is one small building block that informs people about their character - good, bad or neutral.  I agree with you completely that we shouldn't say somethign like so and so is a horrible person because they couldn't wait to leave my city.  It's shortsighted.

But when you say if he had said somethign offensive, you'd think differently, that tells me you really don't disagree with me.  The only question is, what is offensive?  And the answer to that will depend the eyes that read and/or ears that hear.  This tweet probably shoudln't offend anybody.  But you or I don't really get to tell other people to not be offended by something.  For the Raiders, fans or FO, they may very well be offended by the tweet if they knew it was about the Raiders and for that reason they may not sign him if he came crawling back to accept.  Of course that might be petty (a judgment in and of itself by the way), but its not our call.   It's all about perspective is really all I'm saying.  

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Well, now this thread makes a ton more sense lol

Haha, I bet it does. Arthur already signed anyways. I believe with the Seahawks but your right he's JAG. Zach on the other hand is pretty good. I'd be very happy if indy signs him or Minter.

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its not unreasonable at all to judge his personality.   What he has said was self-centered, because he somehow thinks everybody needs to know how he feels, especially if he feels he was treated negatively.  Celebrating the positive is different than complaining to the world you've been slighted.  Boo hoo.

You can accurately judge someone in a matter of minutes.  Its actually not that hard and it should be done way more often.  

No one's saying he's a rapist or a thug.  But a mouthy malcontent?  Yes, a greater than 50% chance.

He was quoting a rapper.

10 hours ago, Shive said:

Agreed!

Minter wasn't even good in college.