Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts RB For The Future.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sleeper I've seen and I would like us to get maybe in the 4th-5th is Jeremy McNichols from Boise State. In some ways he plays like Hunt in that they both have great balance and McNichols is an asset in the passing game so he can start out as a 3rd Back early on whilst he learns from Gore.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hunt.  But I think pick 80 is too high and I'd rather use that pick on defense.  But I could give up the 6th rounder  to move up from 122 to get him.

Another good reason to trade pick 15 to Denver for pick 20 and 82. I think Hunt has boosted his stock to the third. If he can be had in the fourth then great. 

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hunt.  But I think pick 80 is too high and I'd rather use that pick on defense.  But I could give up the 6th rounder  to move up from 122 to get him.

We don't have a 6th anymore. Gave it up in the Allen trade

This guy, SAMAJE PERINE from Oklahoma ... he may possibly be taken in the 4th or 5th round, based upon current projections.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/samaje-perine?id=2558138

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/top-nfl-draft-prospects-oklahomas-perine-bullish-among-loaded-rb-class/

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/2/16/14621698/nfl-draft-prospect-rb-samaje-perine

1. Oklahoma_logo.gif Samaje Perine*, RB, Oklahoma  
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 233. Arm: 30.38. Hand: 10.  
    40 Time: 4.65. 
    Projected Round (2017): 3-4. 

3/18/17: Perine averaged 5.4 yards per carry in 2016 for 1,060 yards with 12 touchdowns. He had 10 receptions for 106 yards, too. Perine is a physical, tough runner who was banged up in his final season and also split the workload with Joe Mixon. 

9/3/16: Perine averaged 6.0 yards per carry in 2015 for 1,349 yards with 16 touchdowns. As a receiver, he had 15 catches for 107 yards with a score. Perine was a freshman sensation in 2014, racking up 1,713 yards and 21 touchdowns. That worked out to an average of 6.5 yards per carry. Perine set the NCAA single-game rushing record with 427 yards against Kansas that season. He also had five touchdowns in that contest. Perine is a hard-nosed physical running back.

5 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Two words. Marlon Mack. Praying he's still around when we pick in the 3rd.

If not early picks on Cook, Fournette, Mixon, or Kamara then i Iike m Mack.

He's a home run hitter and can catch some too.

But we would have to pull the trigger before Tampa, word is they are interested.

50 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

This guy, SAMAJE PERINE from Oklahoma ... he may possibly be taken in the 4th or 5th round, based upon current projections.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/top-nfl-draft-prospects-oklahomas-perine-bullish-among-loaded-rb-class/

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/2/16/14621698/nfl-draft-prospect-rb-samaje-perine

3/18/17: Perine averaged 5.4 yards per carry in 2016 for 1,060 yards with 12 touchdowns. He had 10 receptions for 106 yards, too. Perine is a physical, tough runner who was banged up in his final season and also split the workload with Joe Mixon. 

9/3/16: Perine averaged 6.0 yards per carry in 2015 for 1,349 yards with 16 touchdowns. As a receiver, he had 15 catches for 107 yards with a score. Perine was a freshman sensation in 2014, racking up 1,713 yards and 21 touchdowns. That worked out to an average of 6.5 yards per carry. Perine set the NCAA single-game rushing record with 427 yards against Kansas that season. He also had five touchdowns in that contest. Perine is a hard-nosed physical running back.

All that and he looked second string when they put Mixon in.  

Mack fumbles too much for my taste, and Hunt ran too slow at the combine (4.62...really?!).  I've got my eye on Mixon or Brian Allen, or settling for Elijah McGuire in the 5th if we don't get one of the other two earlier...

1 hour ago, KB said:

Another good reason to trade pick 15 to Denver for pick 20 and 82. I think Hunt has boosted his stock to the third. If he can be had in the fourth then great. 

I wouldn't mind trading down a few spots in the first, since most of the players between 12 and 20 have about the same level of impactfulness and risk-of-bust, IMO.  Maybe on draft day someone falls to 15.

9 minutes ago, Archer said:

Mack fumbles too much for my taste, and Hunt ran too slow at the combine (4.62...really?!).  I've got my eye on Mixon or Brian Allen, or settling for Elijah McGuire in the 5th if we don't get one of the other two earlier...

Okay.  I couldn't remember why I thought Hunt would be there at our pick at 122, but 4.62 and overall size would put 4th round about right.  Pick 80 is too high.

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Perine is one of my favorites too.   Also like Hunt

8 minutes ago, Archer said:

Elijah Mcguire is a nice back to me also.  He can do it all especially receiving.  Nice running style.  Nobody really talks about him and I think he'll probably get drafted late or maybe even undrafted.  He's got some skills though.

6 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Yet when he was in there, he was breaking Oklahoma rushing records.

He (Perine) was a great college back, fantastic career.  So were Ron Dayne and Mike Hart.  But IMO, he's nothing special.  

Maybe as a complimentary RB, but no star.  Big, slow guys usually don't fair too well in the NFL.

You have to admit, that for how good you thought he looked, when they put Mixon in it was clearly an upgrade.

15 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would honestly like to sign Blount this year and then draft someone next year.  It is deep this year but next years RB depth to me is even better.

I'd like to get one in both years. Have someone behind gore and turbin, and see how they do. If they flop then go for Royse freeman in the earlier rounds. If they do well then find a suitable change of pace for them.

46 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He (Perine) was a great college back, fantastic career.  So were Ron Dayne and Mike Hart.  But IMO, he's nothing special.  

Maybe as a complimentary RB, but no star.  Big, slow guys usually don't fair too well in the NFL.

You have to admit, that for how good you thought he looked, when they put Mixon in it was clearly an upgrade.

You're just biased.   doesn't make sense

43 minutes ago, krunk said:

Elijah Mcguire is a nice back to me also.  He can do it all especially receiving.  Nice running style.  Nobody really talks about him and I think he'll probably get drafted late or maybe even undrafted.  He's got some skills though.

Yeah, McGuire is a really good receiver.  He was also hampered by a foot injury this last season, with the resulting tape hurting his draft position.  If he doesn't end up being a sleeper feature back, he should at least be a 3rd down back type in the future...

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

You're just biased.   doesn't make sense

I truly don't understand what you mean.  I'm simply stating that Mixon was a much better RB on the same team as Perine.

Mixon had less carries, over 200 more yards, about a yard and a half better average per carry and 13 more TDs.

What is biased about those facts, and what doesn't make sense?  I'm not trying to be argumentative, I really don't understand.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I truly don't understand what you mean.  I'm simply stating that Mixon was a much better RB on the same team as Perine.

Mixon had less carries, over 200 more yards, about a yard and a half better average per carry and 13 more TDs.

What is biased about those facts, and what doesn't make sense?  I'm not trying to be argumentative, I really don't understand.

nobodies talking about Mixon here.  we are talking about Perine who you keep low grading with no evidence other than your own biased opinion. 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

nobodies talking about Mixon here.  we are talking about Perine who you keep low grading with no evidence other than your own biased opinion. 

It looks like people are talking about a number of RBs they prefer in this thread.  Am I not allowed to talk about mine?

And I still don't get the biased part.  Facts can't be biased.  

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Nothing you are completely right he tried to argue this with me and another poster before 

40 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Mixon looked good reciveing too. I seen him make 1 handed catches.

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Mixon looked good reciveing too. I seen him make 1 handed catches.

He's got it all except the publicity, which is devastatingly negative.  Someone is going to get a great value if he falls past the second.  

To to be clear, I'm not defending his actions but there's no denying his talent.  

If the Colts drafted him in the second or third I would not be upset.  But I can understand those who would be.  

Mixon also looks really, really good.  This I do not dispute.

The thing is, it looks like Perine can be had in the 4th, maybe even the 5th round.  To me, getting a guy that had a college career that exceeded the production of the likes of Billy Sims, Adrian Peterson, Greg Pruitt, DeMarco Murray, and Joe Washington ... well, that is some super uber production!

I think we're fine with Gore for this year and I very much like taking a mid to later round flier on a guy like Perine who had more career success than absolute all-time greats like Sims and Peterson, than to use a 2nd or 3rd pick on a potential head case like Mixon.  

Factor in the fact that these days it seems like year after year there are really good veteran runningbacks available that are more than serviceable.  Everybody likes to worship the hoodie and how the Patriots have done things.  Well look at how they have succeeded at the running game.  I would much rather use my 2nd and 3rd round picks on the trenches and elsewhere in defense, rather than burning a high choice on MIxon when a guy like Perine looks to be there in the 4th or 5th and barring that working out, there always seems to be quality vet RBs available for the taking.

Is Mixon a better player than Perine?  Arguably, maybe, but not THAT much better, imho.  As for the comments on how slow Perine is, yeah, maybe his 40 time didn't dazzle, but game speed has proven time and time again to be much more important to pure 40-time in shorts.  Perine looked fast enough to me in watching him reel off long run after long run after long run.  Perine was a BEAST in college and to use a 4th or 5th round flier on him and that record breaking production, I see nothing but VALUE!

Oklahome Sooners Career Rushing Records

Yards Attempts Touchdowns Yards Per Attempt    

Rk Player * Seasons Yards Att TD Y/A 100Y 200Y

Samaje Perine RB    2014-16    4,122    685 49    6.02    15 6
2. Billy Sims RB 1975-79 4,118 593 53 6.94 20 7
3. Joe Washington RB 1972-75 4,071 675 39 6.03 19 1
4. Adrian Peterson RB 2004-06 4,045 747 41 5.41 22 6
5. Steve Owens RB 1967-69 4,041 958 57 4.22 23 3
6. Quentin Griffin RB 1999-02 3,938 744 44 5.29 16 4
7. DeMarco Murray RB 2006-10 3,685 759 50 4.86 13 1
8. De'Mond/DeMonn Parker RB 1995-98 3,403 579 21 5.88 16 5
9. Stanley Wilson RB 1979-82 3,198 567 15 5.64 7 0
10. Greg Pruitt RB 1970-72 3,122 422     38 7.40 13 3

3 hours ago, Archer said:

When i watched his tape i saw L Bell. His speed was fine.
 The kind of guy that gets you 5-7 yards A LOT!  lol