Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Simon at ILB?

C0LT5

4 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I'd say that of the three new LBs, the only one that could project to be an ILB is Mingo. Simon is a pass rusher/edge player. 

I don't think Mingo is even close to being strong enough for ILB, unless if its a passing down where his athleticism would come into play. I was asking more for first and second down plays.

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its possible.  I trust the judgment of a former NFL DC and HC over what some here might say. 

I usually try to clear my schedule during JMV's show when he is talking to RV.  Normally pretty good, accurate information.  Im with you!

20 minutes ago, C0LT5 said:

I don't think Mingo is even close to being strong enough for ILB, unless if its a passing down where his athleticism would come into play. I was asking more for first and second down plays.

Typically your edge players are much stronger than your off-ball LBs. If Mingo isn't strong enough to be an off-ball LB he is definitely not strong enough on the edge. But I agree other than that. Mingo is supposed to be an athlete, so I'd be curious to see if he has the range/cover ability to move inside. Simon moving inside on base downs would make more sense than on passing downs, but I still don't see it working. I want him on the ball. You don't see many 6'1", 260 pound middle linebackers.

20 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

It's not that easy to find a guy who can set the edge well. I'd probably like to keep Simon on the edge for now, as he grades out well in run defense. 

See, my thinking is the opposite.  These days it seems easier to find guys who can play SAM and harder to find good MIKEs and WILLS, so if Simon can play the inside as well as anybody else we could find outside of the 15th pick, I'd like to give him a shot.

He might be able to but I dont see why we would. OLB was just as big of a need before we signed him and Sheard. Him staying at his natural position let's us upgrade ILB with a more natural fit. His strengths are setting an egde physically and also rsuhing the passer, so I'm not down for this at all.

On 3/16/2017 at 4:36 PM, Superman said:

No. I heard Venturi say that. Please no. 

I think Venturi is just looking at Simon's size (6'1" - 260). 

I have to be honest, I do not know about putting Simon at SAM, and I am not sure if he can cover (need to see more) well enough to move inside. It will be interesting to see where Simon ends up. Right now, I have him penciled him in at RUSH. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I think Venturi is just looking at Simon's size (6'1" - 260). 

I have to be honest, I do not know about putting Simon at SAM, and I am not sure if he can cover (need to see more) well enough to move inside. It will be interesting to see where Simon ends up. Right now, I have him penciled him in at RUSH. 

He played Sam for Houston, and well, IMO. He's not a sideline to sideline guy, I don't know why anyone would suggest he play ILB. 

Just now, Superman said:

He played Sam for Houston, and well, IMO. He's not a sideline to sideline guy, I don't know why anyone would suggest he play ILB. 

Like I said, the only reason I can think of Venturi saying that is the 6'1" size. 

I have to admit, the 6'1" size makes me doubt his ability to play SAM.

I hope he can come in and contribute at SAM right away, but I have penciled in Ayers as our current starting SAM. Lot of off-season still left. We might draft a starting SAM for all we know. :)

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Like I said, the only reason I can think of Venturi saying that is the 6'1" size. 

I have to admit, the 6'1" size makes me doubt his ability to play SAM.

I hope he can come in and contribute at SAM right away, but I have penciled in Ayers as our current starting SAM. Lot of off-season still left. We might draft a starting SAM for all we know. :)

Yeah, he doesn't have ideal length for either edge spot, but I think he does a good job at Sam. It would be cool if Ayers does well.

Simon has a history of playing the SAM.

He was a SAM in Baltimore and with Texas.     Why are we acting as if we're trying out a guy at a new position and hoping that it works?

He has successful history at the position.     We've introduced him as the starting SAM.     He's our guy.....

I also don't understand the small rash of posters who view Mingo as an ILB, and not an OLB?      But that's another story for another day......

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was a SAM in Baltimore and with Texas.     Why are we acting as if we're trying out a guy at a new position and hoping that it works?

He has successful history at the position.     We've introduced him as the starting SAM.     He's our guy.....

I also don't understand the small rash of posters who view Mingo as an ILB, and not an OLB?      But that's another story for another day......

Yep....we don't have the luxury of just trying guys at spots they have never played before nor do you move a guy from a spot he has excelled at as an experiment. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a defense that was like this ameba with all these LBs walking around and you don't know who is blitzing and who is dropping etc but I don't think we have that talent lol. Sure there are the Clay Matthews of the world but most aren't...there are the Charles Woodsons but most can't just change positions at will. To just look at his size and say he has prototypical size for the position so let's move him is pretty naive...less we move all sorts of guys around with horrible results.

i don't see the mingo thing either....but the difference might be that mingo has pretty well failed at OLB or at least well under performed. We may say his only chance is a reboot and use that size and athleticism in a different way...although I would greatly doubt the sanity of our team if we tried that. I think Mingo is on this team because of raw athleticism and hope something clicks magically at OLB.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agree on Simon. Mingo has played both ILB and OLB in the NFL, and hasn't been good at either spot. I don't know what the Colts have in mind, but I think he'll be a combo player. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agree on Simon. Mingo has played both ILB and OLB in the NFL, and hasn't been good at either spot. I don't know what the Colts have in mind, but I think he'll be a combo player. 

Really?    Mingo has played some ILB?      I did NOT know that?

I know he's listed on our roster as an OLB.       This will be worth watching as the season/pre-season unfolds....   

How will the Colts use Mingo other than on special teams?     When he's playing defense where and when does he play outside or inside?

Thanks for the 411...

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?    Mingo has played some ILB?      I did NOT know that?

I know he's listed on our roster as an OLB.       This will be worth watching as the season/pre-season unfolds....   

How will the Colts use Mingo other than on special teams?     When he's playing defense where and when does he play outside or inside?

Thanks for the 411...

I hadn't looked at how he's listed on our roster, but it makes sense to list him at OLB. That's what he should be.

But yes, he's played a considerable amount of ILB, especially his last year with the Browns. I couldn't tell you for sure in what situations they used him, and where he lined up. I'm thinking he'll be a sub package player for the Colts. I don't think he ever developed any pass rush skill, but he can blitz. And he's not awful in coverage, but he's not a rangy sideline to sideline player. 

It's an interesting signing. His physical traits helped him get taken high in the draft, and everyone had high hopes for him. I'm not optimistic that he'll put it all together and become a great player, but used properly, he can be a good piece for us. More questions than answers at this point, for sure.

As far as Mingo....I remember years ago, Darius Butler was not tearing up the league either.  One of our Thursday night games, Deion Sanders told him that the Colts might be his last chance and he needed to take advantage of it.  A lot of Colt fans weren't too high on him either.  Look at him now.  A team leader, plays 2 positions and considered heady by some.  I'm not saying Mingo is the same player, but he is kind of in the same situation and he does have talent.