threeflight

Ballard seems to be signing guys just "because".....

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

The most successful clubs in the league don't necessarily need a ton of playmakers to make it through the playoffs. New England, Atlanta, Green Bay and Pittsburgh aren't loaded with playmakers and yet they are all in the Conference Championship games.

 

The Texans and Giants, on the other hand, have plenty of playmakers and went home after the first round. Kansas City is in the same boat. We have a good enough offense that we can emulate Atlanta before Denver.

 

I agree that our defense needs difference makers but breaking the bank to bring in a few just results in a top-heavy roster that can be easily exploited. We need so much help that I don't think throwing money at big free agents will beef up our defense enough. Jacksonville has been doing this for years with no result.

 

I think it's just reasonable to be patient at this point, see how some draft picks pan out. If the defense clearly isn't improved next season, then it's time to re-evaluate. 

1. New England had the #1 scoring defense, and we already know about their prolific offense. They have plenty of play makers. They signed Talib, and then signed Revis (Super Bowl victory) and just signed Gilmore this Free Agency. Atlanta just signed POE, which is what many would have been satisfied with as a big free agent pickup. I agree that Green Bay and Pittsburgh do a good job building through the draft. If anything, those 4 teams illustrate that there is more than 1 way to get it done. 

 

2. The Texans do not have a quality QB. The Giants are adding play makers, however, I wouldn't say that they have plenty of play makers. KC is a good team with an above average QB. What happens to KC in the playoffs is what you would expect.

 

3. I don't think that anyone is advocating that we "Break the Bank" for a few difference makers. I think it's reasonable to pay players what the market dictates their value is. If we wait to pay for play makers, (AKA- add depth now and next year or the year after go after high-end FA's) that's fine, just note that the market is only going up. 

 

4. Jacksonville had the #6 defense, after being ranked at the bottom the past few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pelt said:

You know, it could very well be that Ballard IS trying to go after some higher profile/productive players, but is having difficulty signing them due to the tenuous situation that Pagano is in right now. Ballard might be hamstrung, so to speak.

 

The players agents might be advising their clients to sign elsewhere because of the instability of the head coaching situation here.

 

Just pure speculation on my part.

It is not speculation, it is pure crap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like these signings, the D was pure crap.  It's not like it's going to get much worse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

Poe is the guy that Ballard clearly wanted from the get-go, that was his big FA target. But he didn't want him on a 1-year rental. Basically what happens in that scenario is he puts up a Pro-Bowl season for the Colts and leaves to the highest bidder, how does that make our team better in the long-term?

 

He's already been in contact and had contract negotiations with Zach Brown, so maybe something materializes there. Jon Jenkins is meeting with the Indy brass tomorrow.

 

I guess I just don't understand why people are acting as if free agency is over, and no one else can be signed. There are still plenty of players available.

Hypothetically, if we signed POE, he would have been a starter for our defense this year. IF he produced at a Pro-Bowl level, that's a good thing. We would have a shot at re-signing him, before Free Agency began. If he decides to leave, we would get a compensatory pick. Again, that's a good thing and a return in value.

 

I don't think that I am acting as though Free Agency is over and that no one else can be signed. Agree, there are still plenty of players available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

We are striking out on the big time free agents because like I've said before, there is little to make a big time free agent want to come here. The weather is bad, city life ain't great, small market, bad team, state income taxes. When is that last time we signed a big time free agent that wasn't past his prime?

 

Ballard tried going after Perry, Bouye, Poe, Zeitler, and Z. Brown and they are choosing other teams. We have the fill the roster somehow.

For most, that has very little to do with it.  Zeitler signed with the Browns for god sakes.....and Bouye went to the "Gary Indiana of the South."

 

Ballard told us he would tread lightly in free agency.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Sure, understandable.

 

Does adding quality FAs negate CB's ability to also add depth through FA with nearly 50M in cap space? For example, we could have signed POE and possibly even Zach Brown, and still signed all of the depth players that are currently signed. (I understand that just because we are interested in players, it does not mean that they will sign with us, as there are other options available).

 

Does adding qualtiy FAs negate CB's ability draft quality players?

Respectfully, I don't see why you cant do both?

 

You can do both to an extent, so long as you make sure your own drafted talents are taken care of first. Which isnt an issue for us now, but could be down the line, especially if you are signing top free agents to big contracts that are guaranteed for multiple years, or even have large bonuses and lead to large amounts of dead money if cut.  

 

But everyone is talking like Ballard hasnt been trying. We have been linked to Bouye, Zeitler, Jeffery, Poe, Brown, Hightower, and Perry this offseason. We didnt get any of them, and if the reports are true, most of them were not due to dollar amounts. You cant exactly blame Ballard that his targets have free will and decided to sign elsewhere due to outside factors. I think the fact that we have been linked to so many top players is telling that Ballard WANTS to bring in a few play makers, but something is stopping that from happening. He is signing what he can at the moment and hoping that improvements can be made with what he can get. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Ballard told us he would tread lightly in free agency.

 

Why didn't anyone listen?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard needs to fill those 90 roster spots for camp. It seems he is bring in players for depth.

Say what you want, lack of depth is one of the main reasons we have been 8-8- the last two seasons.

Only time will tell if it was a good idea for Ballard is doing a good job.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Why didn't anyone listen?

 

To be honest, I'm actually surprised that he's signed as many players as he has. My initial impression from his introductory presser was that he wasn't going to touch free agency.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Why didn't anyone listen?

They had Colt449 hyping them up about being aggressive!  Making that push and blowing cash for da big dawgs.  LOL

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

To be honest, I'm actually surprised that he's signed as many players as he has. My initial impression from his introductory presser was that he wasn't going to touch free agency.

I think he almost had to based on how many players we lost (especially on defense). I dont think anyone expects to fill 15-20 positions with draft picks and UDFAs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BOTT said:

For most, that has very little to do with it.  Zeitler signed with the Browns for god sakes.....and Bouye went to the "Gary Indiana of the South."

 

Ballard told us he would tread lightly in free agency.

Ballard said that at first but then he said they would be active but would just be looking for fits. These reporters aren't lying about the Colts being interested in these free agents or lying about them visiting the Colts. 

 

We are definitely not "treading lightly" in free agency signing all these people and being interested in all the top guys. Maybe we had a price for each free agent that we didn't want to pass, but all I'm saying is that there is a reason each of these free agents are picking the Colts.

 

Teams are beating us out for free agents because they offer something that we don't. The Browns had more cap space than anybody and who wouldn't want to be in Florida? We can't sell location in Indiana and we can't sell winning with a horrible roster. 

 

i can't even recall the last big time free agent we got in his prime. That's why Ballard knows he has to put major focus on building through the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

These reporters aren't lying about the Colts being interested in these free agents or lying about them visiting the Colts. 

 

Talking to agents about contract expectations = "interest"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Hypothetically, if we signed POE, he would have been a starter for our defense this year. IF he produced at a Pro-Bowl level, that's a good thing. We would have a shot at re-signing him, before Free Agency began. If he decides to leave, we would get a compensatory pick. Again, that's a good thing and a return in value.

 

I don't think that I am acting as though Free Agency is over and that no one else can be signed. Agree, there are still plenty of players available.

 

Saw this on Twitter regarding Poe and the Colts: sounds like we offered him the farm, he just liked the situation in Atlanta better. Nothing you can do about that.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

It is not speculation, it is pure crap.

Oh well, nice to know that coming into this forum for wonderful constructive discussion like this remains consistent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think he almost had to based on how many players we lost (especially on defense). I dont think anyone expects to fill 15-20 positions with draft picks and UDFAs. 

 

Correct. Signing free agents isn't "optional" considering we need 90 guys by camp, but I was referring more to the bigger fish type guys. Based on interviews with Ballard, there's no way I thought we'd have signed Sheard, Simon, AND had Poe in for a lengthy contract negotiation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

Saw this on Twitter regarding Poe and the Colts: sounds like we offered him the farm, he just liked the situation in Atlanta better. Nothing you can do about that.

 

Just posted this over in the Poe thread.  Somewhat admirable as I guess he wants to "win now". I think the Falcons will take a sizeable step back next year though.

 

Also dumb as the Colts were willing to pay a sizeable amount above the current NT market. I don't think he will perform well enough to earn that contract next year even with cap inflation. He isn't Damon Harrison or Brandon Williams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

Correct. Signing free agents isn't "optional" considering we need 90 guys by camp, but I was referring more to the bigger fish type guys. Based on interviews with Ballard, there's no way I thought we'd have signed Sheard, Simon, AND had Poe in for a lengthy contract negotiation.

That a fair opinion. I will admit I was surprised we were linked to as many top FAs as we have been this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 mil is not a lot for poe

 

he just went with the best team that was interested

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm guessing the first loss, preseason or otherwise. lol.

I will one up you and say as soon as he drafts a non marquee player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Talking to agents about contract expectations = "interest"

Did you just hear the Poe news?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Did you just hear the Poe news?

 

Yes. We know they did more than that on Poe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

Saw this on Twitter regarding Poe and the Colts: sounds like we offered him the farm, he just liked the situation in Atlanta better. Nothing you can do about that.

 

Woooooooow wth Dontari really Bro? You took 4 mil less?!?! Whatever man forget you then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think people realize just how bad this roster is/was. The first string guys are/were borderline NFL starters, not to mention the 2nd and 3rds behind them. 

 

We have gotten better with every move 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Ms Anderson is saying that Poe rejected a 5 yr $60M contract in favor of a 1 year $8M contract because it was the Colts offering the $60 and and the Falcons offering the 8?

 

Uh.....no

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So Ms Anderson is saying that Poe rejected a 5 yr $60M contract in favor of a 1 year $8M contract because it was the Colts offering the $60 and and the Falcons offering the 8?

 

Uh.....no

 

 

 

Well Ballard did offer him a long-term deal, that's been verified. And he opted to play for the other team on a one year deal. What other conclusion is there to make?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So Ms Anderson is saying that Poe rejected a 5 yr $60M contract in favor of a 1 year $8M contract because it was the Colts offering the $60 and and the Falcons offering the 8?

 

Uh.....no

 

 

Atlanta is in a better position to win than we are. Sometimes money =/= chance at championship. Atlanta will regress this year though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, threeflight said:

Am I the only one who is not liking what I am seeing so far with Ballard's free agent signings?  

 

He has signed 2 players who I guess could be considered starters in Simon and Sheard, and even they are not what I would call blue chippers by any stretch.

 

Other than that, he seems to be getting rid of the Colt players who were here already and just replacing them with "guys".  And I am starting to get the impression he doesn't really have any rhyme or reason to his signings.  It is almost as if he is signing them just because they weren't Colts.  

 

As soon as he signed that punter a little part of me went "uh oh".  I know he is just a punter but to me, it seems so much better to draft one then sign a guy like that.

 

And that was just the beginning.  Al Woods?  Mingo?  Schwenke?  Hunt?  And while their contracts are not large, they are still for $5 million or so and it is starting to eat away at our cap space and I cannot say we are any better off today then we were a month ago.

 

I just get the feeling that he really doesn't know what they heck he is doing, and is making changes just for the sake of changes.

 

Thoughts?

These guys will be serviceable and Hunt should be decent in this system and Simon and Sheard are pretty good players Schwenke will be pretty much the same as what Jon Harrison was the punter he signed is actually a very good one I don't care for the Mingo signing or the Woods signing 8 million we could have easily had Poe and for Mingo I would prefered spend the money on somebody that is actually good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely  agree with you, threeflight, my sentiment as well. 

I can see why he signed Simon and Sheard, but the rest looks like quantity over quality.

As I said in another thread, I hope he does better in the draft because in the free agency it looks , at least to me, that all he did was to replace Grigson's mediocre players with his own mediocre players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

So Ms Anderson is saying that Poe rejected a 5 yr $60M contract in favor of a 1 year $8M contract because it was the Colts offering the $60 and and the Falcons offering the 8?

 

Uh.....no

 

 

I don't believe it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I will one up you and say as soon as he drafts a non marquee player

That may be in round #1 haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kyle said:

Why does part of you go "uh oh" when our punter retired and we picked up a new one in free agency.  

 

As soon as I read your statement on how you felt about CB signing a FA punter,  all of me went, "uh oh, this guy is posting just because"

 

Yup.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

we need a great draft or we wont be much better than last year

 

Unless the offense is outstanding -- explosive and efficient -- the Colts aren't going to be serious contenders in 2017. That should have been obvious a long time ago. One draft and one free agent period wasn't going to transform this roster.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

With all the holes in this roster, you can't just go after 2-3 big signings throwing buckets of money at each, and expect that to fix all of the Colts' problems. 

 

Ballard is building depth. Can't fault the guy for digging this team out of the hole Griggles dug. 

 

I for one like the approach of trying to stop the boat from sinking and patching it and saving(drafting) for a new boat. 

i concur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Unless the offense is outstanding -- explosive and efficient -- the Colts aren't going to be serious contenders in 2017. That should have been obvious a long time ago. One draft and one free agent period wasn't going to transform this roster.

if this is true i am depending on lucks post op arm to be the difference, maybe we can win with offense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, threeflight said:

Am I the only one who is not liking what I am seeing so far with Ballard's free agent signings?  

 

He has signed 2 players who I guess could be considered starters in Simon and Sheard, and even they are not what I would call blue chippers by any stretch.

 

Other than that, he seems to be getting rid of the Colt players who were here already and just replacing them with "guys".  And I am starting to get the impression he doesn't really have any rhyme or reason to his signings.  It is almost as if he is signing them just because they weren't Colts.  

 

As soon as he signed that punter a little part of me went "uh oh".  I know he is just a punter but to me, it seems so much better to draft one then sign a guy like that.

 

And that was just the beginning.  Al Woods?  Mingo?  Schwenke?  Hunt?  And while their contracts are not large, they are still for $5 million or so and it is starting to eat away at our cap space and I cannot say we are any better off today then we were a month ago.

 

I just get the feeling that he really doesn't know what they heck he is doing, and is making changes just for the sake of changes.

 

Thoughts?

I agree.. haven't seen anything to really help the defense improve.. some say depth.. but depth can come from draft and UDFA's.. this defense has no difference makers still.  I doubt even a 1st round draft pick will fill that role immediately.   Looks like another long season  so far and another year off Lucy's career....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.