Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DT John Jenkins visiting Friday

That's a nose tackle if I've ever heard of one. Some teams want a penetrating NT that can create havoc in the backfield....this guy I think is more of eating up blockers and keeping your LBs clean. I could be wrong but I think he just wasn't in the right system to be utilized properly. Definitely a run down rotational guy....I'm sure at that size he isn't going to be playing a ton of downs...those guys have to be on a pitch count if you want them effective. I would imagine a situational run down defender.

March 16th, 2017 at 10:25am CST by Zach Links

Seahawks free agent defensive lineman John Jenkins is visiting the Bears on Thursday, a source tells Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter).

If he doesn’t immediately sign in Chicago, he’ll visit the Colts on Friday. 

John Jenkins (vertical)

Jenkins, a true nose tackle, would be a logical fit for both the Bears and Colts as they run a 3-4 scheme. Right now, the Bears have three nose tackles under contract, all of whom were drafted by the team: Eddie Goldman, Will Sutton, and Ego Ferguson.

The Colts picked up defensive tackle Al Woods on Thursday morning, but he is more of a three-technique player than a straight-up nose tackle like Jenkins. In the last week, the Colts have already imported three free agent defensive linemen in Woods, Jabaal Sheard, and Margus Hunt.

We have Jenkins ranked as one of the 15 best free agent interior defenders left in free agency.

You never know. The key is effort and locker room. Ballard considers measureables more than Grigson did. Guys like Al Wood and Jenkins, the plus is that they made another teams roster so that is one step ahead of any UFA. Plus there are tapes under NFL competition to do their evaluation. 

5 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I'd prefer a Jenkins/Woods duo over bringing Parry back, so why not. I'm sure Ridgeway could give us some spot snaps at NT as well.

We'll one thing with Woods is he was a starter in the middle of a Tennessee Run defense that was top 5 in the leauge. So Woods must not have been too bad, not saying he's a pro bowler or anywhere close...but with how bad we've been.. just about anything seems like it has a good chance to be an improvement.

45 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

We'll one thing with Woods is he was a starter in the middle of a Tennessee Run defense that was top 5 in the leauge. So Woods must not have been too bad, not saying he's a pro bowler or anywhere close...but with how bad we've been.. just about anything seems like it has a good chance to be an improvement.

Agreed, one of the positive things about trying to get a NT is Parry isn't very good. So even signing someone like Woods to a cheap deal is an upgrade to our defense for a pretty cheap contract. Adding another big body like Jenkins for cheap would be a good way of upgrading the defense while also not putting a lot of money into the position. Obviously you wish you could of landed Poe, but Woods/Jenkins is better than Parry.

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You shouldn't even put those two in the same sentence.  I don't think he's even as good as Parry.  

I disagree, he is a true NT but you keep Parry and lets see how that works out. Jenkins would be a good mix with Woods over Parry 

8 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I disagree, he is a true NT but you keep Parry and lets see how that works out. Jenkins would be a good mix with Woods over Parry 

He is a true NT, but you said he'd fit better than Poe, right?  I think Parry is a lot more mobile.  

My biggest potential concern with Jenkins is if he's really 360 lbs is how many snaps will he last on the field before he's tottally gassed and worn down? Maybe 5? If we were to sign him and I'm Ballard and or Pagono I'm telling him he needs to get in better shape, like down to 330 at least.

54 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

My biggest potential concern with Jenkins is if he's really 360 lbs is how many snaps will he last on the field before he's tottally gassed and worn down? Maybe 5? If we were to sign him and I'm Ballard and or Pagono I'm telling him he needs to get in better shape, like down to 330 at least.

A huge guy who can move is so rare, that's why the guys like Poe make big money. 

The old "800 pound safe" is a good description.  A safe can't move side to side, or rush the passer.  They're only good if you plan on running right into them.  

23 hours ago, Tmoney said:

With Johnathan Hankins asking for 10mil+ per year, Jenkins is probably the best value at NT rn. 

Asking and getting are two different things.  You can always go down from your initial asking price, but you can't go up.

13 hours ago, BOTT said:

Asking and getting are two different things.  You can always go down from your initial asking price, but you can't go up.

True, I'd love him for around 8mil per. With incentives maybe getting close to 10 but definitely not the base salary