coltsfeva

Defensive players worth keeping

31 posts in this topic

Gonna be interesting to see who will start defensively for the Colts this year. Langford, Anderson, Davis, E. Jackson, Ridgeway and Geathers could start and I wouldn't be shocked to see Butler return and Green or Melvin starting in the slot. There is something to be said for continuity and even though Green and Jackson looked lost last year, another year of experience could help them improve. Add a guy like Hankins and get  an OLB and shut down corner in the draft and the D could come together. Just seems like people are discounting any players from last year on defense that could have better years if they are healthy and with another year's experience. We don't need 11 new starters on defense.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it may not be complete defensive rebuild but it is damn close.

 

I think continuity is way overrated when the talent on that side of the ball was so bad, so old and so un-athletic.  I am guessing there will be at least 7 new starters on defense - NG, 4 LB's, CB and a safety.

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defensive Keepers: 

 

Davis 

Melvin

^if we get something resembling a pass rush, these 2 will look even better^ 

Butler (I hope we re-sign him) 

Geathers (I hope he doesn't get hurt) 

Green (need 1 more year to make a decision)

E-Jax (I still think he's above average) 

Langford (hope he returns to form) 

Ridgeway (I think he'll turn it up this yr) 

Anderson (hope he gets back to his rookie yr performance) 

McGill (he should've had waaaay more snaps last yr) 

Ayers (good depth) 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

So it may not be complete defensive rebuild but it is damn close.

 

I think continuity is way overrated when the talent on that side of the ball was so bad, so old and so un-athletic.  I am guessing there will be at least 7 new starters on defense - NG, 4 LB's, CB and a safety.

 

 

I know the defense was bad last year but remember we started last year with a depleted secondary and some rookies. It may turn out that guys like Green, Ridgeway and Jackson are average at best but it may also be we see a big improvement this year. I honestly don't know. I agree about the NT and CB. I guess where I might differ from some other posters is I think it's possible to drastically improve this defense with one more FA and a good draft. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Gonna be interesting to see who will start defensively for the Colts this year. Langford, Anderson, Davis, E. Jackson, Ridgeway and Geathers could start and I wouldn't be shocked to see Butler return and Green or Melvin starting in the slot. There is something to be said for continuity and even though Green and Jackson looked lost last year, another year of experience could help them improve. Add a guy like Hankins and get  an OLB and shut down corner in the draft and the D could come together. Just seems like people are discounting any players from last year on defense that could have better years if they are healthy and with another year's experience. We don't need 11 new starters on defense.

 

A very good post a good discussion and an interesting one. Those are exactly the players I would keep and who cares about the rest of them your right on. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I know the defense was bad last year but remember we started last year with a depleted secondary and some rookies. It may turn out that guys like Green, Ridgeway and Jackson are average at best but it may also be we see a big improvement this year. I honestly don't know. I agree about the NT and CB. I guess where I might differ from some other posters is I think it's possible to drastically improve this defense with one more FA and a good draft. 

 

I don't know we can dramatically improve it but definitely improve it. But if Anderson can stay healthy this year I look for a really good year from him and Geathers they could be difference makers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Defensive Keepers: 

 

Davis 

Melvin

^if we get something resembling a pass rush, these 2 will look even better^ 

Butler (I hope we re-sign him) 

Geathers (I hope he doesn't get hurt) 

Green (need 1 more year to make a decision)

E-Jax (I still think he's above average) 

Langford (hope he returns to form) 

Ridgeway (I think he'll turn it up this yr) 

Anderson (hope he gets back to his rookie yr performance) 

McGill (he should've had waaaay more snaps last yr) 

Ayers (good depth) 

 

Yeah, Ridgeway needs to get much better in coverage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

I don't know we can dramatically improve it but definitely improve it. But if Anderson can stay healthy this year I look for a really good year from him and Geathers they could be difference makers. 

My favorite two Colt defensive players (Davis is in that discussion too btw).  The key is staying healthy as you said.  

 

I remember the first time E. Jackson stood out on the field last year (to me anyway). He basically took Alex Smith out of the game- Great hit!  I think he has potential, just needs more time.

 

I am not quite as down as most on the defense, I truly believe it can be a much better unit this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Gonna be interesting to see who will start defensively for the Colts this year. Langford, Anderson, Davis, E. Jackson, Ridgeway and Geathers could start and I wouldn't be shocked to see Butler return and Green or Melvin starting in the slot. There is something to be said for continuity and even though Green and Jackson looked lost last year, another year of experience could help them improve. Add a guy like Hankins and get  an OLB and shut down corner in the draft and the D could come together. Just seems like people are discounting any players from last year on defense that could have better years if they are healthy and with another year's experience. We don't need 11 new starters on defense.

Jackson was good he is better in DQ Jacksons old role where he isn't asked to cover that guy could be better than a 100 tackle a year guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

My favorite two Colt defensive players (Davis is in that discussion too btw).  The key is staying healthy as you said.  

 

I remember the first time E. Jackson stood out on the field last year (to me anyway). He basically took Alex Smith out of the game- Great hit!  I think he has potential, just needs more time.

 

I am not quite as down as most on the defense, I truly believe it can be a much better unit this year.  

his hit in the backfield on Forte in the Jets game was a thing of beauty.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

his hit in the backfield on Forte in the Jets game was a thing of beauty.

Figures.... happens to be the one game I missed last year, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I know the defense was bad last year but remember we started last year with a depleted secondary and some rookies. It may turn out that guys like Green, Ridgeway and Jackson are average at best but it may also be we see a big improvement this year. I honestly don't know. I agree about the NT and CB. I guess where I might differ from some other posters is I think it's possible to drastically improve this defense with one more FA and a good draft. 

 

I agree completely that the defense can improve significantly in a year's time.  I think the talent is already improved over what they had last year.  Throw in another FA and hopefully add some impact playmakers in the draft and it should be (knock on wood) much better.

 

Of the 3 players you mentioned above, I have the most hope that Ridgeway can turn into a solid player.  If Green can ever translate his athleticism onto the field, they may have something there, but I am not too hopeful.  Jackson to me has reached his ceiling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anderson

Langford

Ridgeway

McGill

Morrison

E Jackson

Ayers

Davis

Melvin

Farley

Geathers 

Green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

So it may not be complete defensive rebuild but it is damn close.

 

I think continuity is way overrated when the talent on that side of the ball was so bad, so old and so un-athletic.  I am guessing there will be at least 7 new starters on defense - NG, 4 LB's, CB and a safety.

 

 

I'd be willing to give E. Jackson a shot at a starter role based off of what he showed last year.... Maybe we can get an upgrade, but i wouldnt discount him entirely. He played some tough football and made some important plays.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have posted in the past...nothing matters until we see how many injuries are suffered in training camp and preseason.  Colts seem to be decimated every year before the season starts.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I'd be willing to give E. Jackson a shot at a starter role based off of what he showed last year.... Maybe we can get an upgrade, but i wouldnt discount him entirely. He played some tough football and made some important plays.

 

The benefit of what Ballard is trying to do is provide a healthy amount of competition everywhere.  Jackson will have the chance to compete for a spot but hopefully we have enough talent that if he is starting it's because he has become a lot better.  He showed signs last year but if we can get Brown and someone like Hodges or Minter, then I am fine with two new starters (assuming they show more promise going into the season).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, Ridgeway needs to get much better in coverage. 

 

While he's fast for a big guy, I don't think he should be dropping into coverage.....ever. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I'd be willing to give E. Jackson a shot at a starter role based off of what he showed last year.... Maybe we can get an upgrade, but i wouldnt discount him entirely. He played some tough football and made some important plays.

 

 

 Edwin can make plays period. I believe he will blossom with experience. This kid has good potential to be part of a Quality D.
 That doesn`t mean he will be a starter but there is a lot of playing time in a 16 game season for this guy!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

While he's fast for a big guy, I don't think he should be dropping into coverage.....ever. 

 

 Gotta be thinking he is someone else.
 But i do hope he drops in coverage several times next season. Those type of strategies are part of
surprising the QB and can pay big dividends, correct? Why of course!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Edwin Jackson showed flashes of a guy who could end up being a starter here.

You make it seem like finding a shutdown corner is so easy to find. Vontae Davis is probably the best corner we had since possibly Ray Buchanan over 20 years ago.

We haven't had anyone special since we traded for VD.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need 5 new starters: NT we need a big block eating run stuffer. Both OLB's and an ILB. The starters on the outside are gone and Morrison needs to be replaced. The back end Adams is gone.  

 

Looking at the roster of the 5 new starters  3 could be on the roster Sheard Simon and Butler. I think they will see challenges especially at Edge and CB. I expect to see early picks used on those positions. 

 

The 2 spots we don't have an answer are NT and ILB. We add an early down run stuffing block eating NT in the draft. There are a few I like Big Stevie in the 5tn. 

 

ILB I am hoping we sign a FA. There is not a lot of day 1 help in the draft. I think it is risky not to bring in a guy. Give me Hodges. We still look in the draft but we aren't married to it. 

 

I think we should look at McDouglan in FA too. He's a young guy who can play both S spots. The D could be improved this year. If Ballard is committed to that side of the ball in the draft. we could add some much need talent. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

I thought Edwin Jackson showed flashes of a guy who could end up being a starter here.

You make it seem like finding a shutdown corner is so easy to find. Vontae Davis is probably the best corner we had since possibly Ray Buchanan over 20 years ago.

We haven't had anyone special since we traded for VD.

He hasn't.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah we went out and signed better players then we had in FA just to keep the same terrible starters from last year :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He hasn't.

The way colts fans overvalue bad and average players is just crazy 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The way colts fans overvalue bad and average players is just crazy 

Can't see this enough. People really don't understand the difference between a good starter and just a depth/rotational guy.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2017 at 5:29 PM, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Gotta be thinking he is someone else.
 But i do hope he drops in coverage several times next season. Those type of strategies are part of
surprising the QB and can pay big dividends, correct? Why of course!

Ridgeway is 320lbs, can't see him dropping in to coverage much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Magitt is gonna turn heads this year..He will be 100% healthy for the first time in years...I like how our defense is looking getting younger , faster, and bigger!! If we get Riddick in 1st, Watt in 2nd, Desmond King in 3rd, Mixon or Kamara in 4th, Sidney Jones in 4th, Tonah Kpassignon in 4th, and TE George Kittle in 5th we will be a top line team next year..If we somehow trade for Malcom Butler and sign Zach Brown watch out New England we are coming for you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think Magitt is gonna turn heads this year..He will be 100% healthy for the first time in years...I like how our defense is looking getting younger , faster, and bigger!! If we get Riddick in 1st, Watt in 2nd, Desmond King in 3rd, Mixon or Kamara in 4th, Sidney Jones in 4th, Tonah Kpassignon in 4th, and TE George Kittle in 5th we will be a top line team next year..If we somehow trade for Malcom Butler and sign Zach Brown watch out New England we are coming for you...

 

I don't believe New England is shaking in their boots.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

 

I don't believe New England is shaking in their boots.

Not yet..see if we pull all this off and get to gelling mid-season..I fully expect us to struggle early on with so much turnover ...We could be a dangerous wild card team, although I think we will manage to win the division unless Houston gets Romo and he stays healthy all year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • This info came out this week.     This is the first chance I've had to post it as I do every year.         Here is the actual roster with updated weights.       I printed out a roster after the draft and have now made notes about how much weight has been either lost or gained by our players.   http://www.colts.com/team/roster.html   I'm also going to write it up here....    the roster is for you to use as a cross reference...   Hope you enjoy!                 Aiken                  216      +1 Alie-Cox             267      +7 Anderson           301      +1 Ayers                 247      -8 Banner              358       -2 Basham             266      +4 Binford               185 Blackmon          185   Bond                 299       -3 Bostic               245   Boyd                 293      -17 Bray                  183      -3 Briggs                230 Brown                196 Butler                 192      +4 Castanzo            311 Clark                  311      -8 Cooper              311      +5 Crossan            203      +1 Daniels             246       -1 Davis                207 ]Dorsett            185 Doyle                262      -5 Edwards           271      -4 Farley               209       -1 Ferguson         205       +5 Geathers         220 George            234   Good               345     -10 G ore               212      -5 Graham          208 Green             211      +6 Haeg              305      +1 Hairston         195      +2 Hankins         325      +5 Hennessy      246 HIghtower     200 HIlton            178 Hooker          212      +7 Howard         214      -7 Hunt              298     +3 Jackson        234     +4 Jeter             251 Kelly             309 Langford      299      -6 Locke           208      +12 Luck             240 Mack           210        -3 McGill         299       -11 Melvin         196       +3 Mewhort      305       -7 Milton          196       +6 Mingo          239       -1 Mitchell        192       +9 Moncrief      216       -6 Morris         186        -2 Morrison      241      +6 Morris          219       +1 Mount         253        +4 Muir            309    Natson       153        -6 Parry          317       +7 Pope          205  Powell        211  Redmond   300       +5 Rhodes      238      -4 Ridgewawy 318     +1     Rogers        184     +4 Sanchez      195 Schwenke    310     -5 Sheard         265 Sickels         252     -9 Simon          250     -10 Smith           197     -8 Spence        231 Stewart        333     -14 Swoope       258     +1 Thomas       282    -10 Tolzien        215     +2 Ugokwe      315     -6 Vinatieri      212     +6 vujonvich    300 Walker        242     +7 Walker        216 Wlliams      260     +13 Wilson        206      -7 Woods       330      +23 Wylie          309   Griffey        209 Michael      220  
    • I love the talent in their def but I think luck had Wades number lol he's eaten up his defense  in wins/losses
    • A punch to the gut was how it was said to be by Pritchard. Bird sure left Pritchard a total mess. None of this is surprising to me about how the NBA direction is going. None of this is ever going to change as long as there is not a hard cap and the NBA gets paid for super stars getting put on the same teams. This started years ago with the Celtics. They always had the best teams money could buy and then when the cap come in they invented what is called the Larry Bird exception. Then the NBA seen the chance to cash in by letting teams pay them for going over the cap. Then the owners were getting paid by high dollar TV deals and couldn't care less about putting winners on the court as long as they were making money. Now the NBA is made popular by fans who really are not interested in watching basketball played in it's original form. All they want now is highlight dunks and three pointers. Defense has been lost forever right along with traditional basketball. Sad for those who remember the real basketball.
    • Fact is Pagano went 8-8 without Luck after using 5 different QBs with one of them coming right off the street. But it's things like this that gets overlooked by those who choose to. Moral superiority?? You have to be joking. That's even taking it over the top and is getting to the point of pure unaltered childishness.
    •     Sounds like we are seriously considering Lance Stephenson at starting point guard if Jeff Teague's     price is to high..   ..I know he's motivated to play hard and well but that's not something I'd be considering
  • Members

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.