Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts linked with ILB Zach Brown

10 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I don't know what the incentives are, if they are NLTBE or what, though. 

I just think you misinterperated me, I was in work and didn't really put much thought into my initil post. I think he has priced himself out the market so far.

Thanks.....   appreciate the extra post.    Sorry for the confusion....

Perhaps we'll all have a better read of things tomorrow....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

So how do you "not know" what you're getting with him?

Effort has been the knock on him for a while, right. He has been labeled as one of the most athletic inside linebackers in the NFL, right? When he is on his game he plays at an elite level, right?

At what point do you "just know" who a player is? Not sure about you, but it doesn't take me 50 starts to figure it out. 

You know you're getting an athletic ILB that flashes moments of pro-bowl play. My concern is signing a guy to a multi-year contract for big money when I don't know if I'll be getting the pro-bowl level player this Sunday or the non-motivated, disinterested bum.

Signing Brown and Hankins would make this a solid offseason. Then give Revis or Flowers a 1 year cheap deal. Maybe Revis would ball out. Maybe he'd suck. Who knows??? But a 1year deal???? So what. Its worth it, worth the risk. In fact I'd sign Sam Shields too. Or Roby to play the nickel. Couldn't hurt. If Shields plays he's a beast. And none of those 4 would cost real money

43 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Signing Brown and Hankins would make this a solid offseason. Then give Revis or Flowers a 1 year cheap deal. Maybe Revis would ball out. Maybe he'd suck. Who knows??? But a 1year deal???? So what. Its worth it, worth the risk. In fact I'd sign Sam Shields too. Or Roby to play the nickel. Couldn't hurt. If Shields plays he's a beast. And none of those 4 would cost real money

I seriously doubt we bring in Revis or Flowers. Ballard is trying to build a solid foundation, not "Super Bowl or bust". Both of those guys are over the hill and are shells of their former selves. Bringing them in hinders the development of the guys in our long-term plans and that's not what Ballard has preached. They don't provide value to this team on a 1 year deal. We already tried that with Cromartie and we all saw how that ended up...

Sam Shields has had serious concussion issues. He was good when he was healthy, but he should've retired after last season. Dude got a concussion in October that kept him out the rest of the season. That's a serious brain injury.

Roby wouldn't be bad, but he is under contract until next year, and I don't see Denver letting him walk.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

That's what he played in for NY, he definitely can play NT and many believe he's more natural at NT. 

I'd love to get Hankins and see exactly what he is capable of. He played quite well at NT for the G-men. Having played NT before though, I can say that there is a huge, huge difference in being a 4-3 NT where I had to primarily one-gap and playing NT in a 3-4 where I had to two-gap. I'm not sure if we envision our NT to two-gap a lot of not. I know that I haven't seen Parry doing it a lot when I have watched games. That said I wasn't often staring him down play after play to see. If we really want a two-gapping NT then Jenkins would be a much better fit. I do believe Hankins is talented enough to do both, which is why I would love to have him. That being said, you rarely pay $7-10M a year in free agency for a guy based on what you think he can do in a scheme like yours without having seen him prove it in a similar scheme before. I personally think this is why we may have gone after Poe but not really publicly kicked the tires on Logan or Hankins.

14 hours ago, Shive said:

I seriously doubt we bring in Revis or Flowers. Ballard is trying to build a solid foundation, not "Super Bowl or bust". Both of those guys are over the hill and are shells of their former selves. Bringing them in hinders the development of the guys in our long-term plans and that's not what Ballard has preached. They don't provide value to this team on a 1 year deal. We already tried that with Cromartie and we all saw how that ended up...

Sam Shields has had serious concussion issues. He was good when he was healthy, but he should've retired after last season. Dude got a concussion in October that kept him out the rest of the season. That's a serious brain injury.

Roby wouldn't be bad, but he is under contract until next year, and I don't see Denver letting him walk.

LOL. Nickel Roby from Buffalo. lmao Bradley Roby would be a monster signing, but he'll be in Denver at least 2 more years.

And what I was saying about Revis or Flowers is what would it hurt? To me a 1 year, 5-6 million dollar deal wouldn't hurt anything if they didn't pan out. We also don't know about Shields yet. He'll probably just fade out of the league which is sad as he's still young, and when healthy is a stud, borderline number 1 corner. You never know. We may get the real Revis. Remember he was a stud just 2 years ago. Then just sucked this year. Flowers may be a bit safer. But Cromartie was different than Revis. He was never considered the best CB since Primetime. Revis and Flowers are what? Maybe 31-32? Not that old.

14 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I'd love to get Hankins and see exactly what he is capable of. He played quite well at NT for the G-men. Having played NT before though, I can say that there is a huge, huge difference in being a 4-3 NT where I had to primarily one-gap and playing NT in a 3-4 where I had to two-gap. I'm not sure if we envision our NT to two-gap a lot of not. I know that I haven't seen Parry doing it a lot when I have watched games. That said I wasn't often staring him down play after play to see. If we really want a two-gapping NT then Jenkins would be a much better fit. I do believe Hankins is talented enough to do both, which is why I would love to have him. That being said, you rarely pay $7-10M a year in free agency for a guy based on what you think he can do in a scheme like yours without having seen him prove it in a similar scheme before. I personally think this is why we may have gone after Poe but not really publicly kicked the tires on Logan or Hankins.

The Colts are a 1-gap defensive front. They stopped the 2-gap system 2 years ago.

11 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

The Colts are a 1-gap defensive front. They stopped the 2-gap system 2 years ago.

Very true, but was that switch just done to match the talent we had or is it Pagano's preferred defensive front?

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

Very true, but was that switch just done to match the talent we had or is it Pagano's preferred defensive front?

I don't recall them ever addressing it publicly, but my thought was that they switched because of being able to draft Anderson and Parry.  The first 3 years they did run a hybrid front and Chapman was a 2-gap NT whereas Parry has not been.  I do think it's interesting they went after Poe, but I think (at least at full health) Poe is one of the rare guys that can play almost any scheme. 

So, I wasn't surprised at all by the signing of Al Woods, who is of similar size to Parry.  but the reported interest in John  Jenkins makes me think that maybe they would like to bring in a 2-gap guy for the right price.

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I don't recall them ever addressing it publicly, but my thought was that they switched because of being able to draft Anderson and Parry.  The first 3 years they did run a hybrid front and Chapman was a 2-gap NT whereas Parry has not been.  I do think it's interesting they went after Poe, but I think (at least at full health) Poe is one of the rare guys that can play almost any scheme. 

So, I wasn't surprised at all by the signing of Al Woods, who is of similar size to Parry.  but the reported interest in John  Jenkins makes me think that maybe they would like to bring in a 2-gap guy for the right price.

Wood and parry are similar in size? So is wood undersized for NT too?

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Wood and parry are similar in size? So is wood undersized for NT too?

Woods is listed at 6'4" and 307 lbs.

Parry is listed at 6'2" and 310 lbs.

Neither are undersized in terms of height/weight for a 1-gap defense. 

14 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Woods is listed at 6'4" and 307 lbs.

Parry is listed at 6'2" and 310 lbs.

Neither are undersized in terms of height/weight for a 1-gap defense. 

The difference is Al Woods has 36" arms, Parry has 31" arms. Height/weight is similar, but Woods has the length desired.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Al&l=Woods&i=8685

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/david-parry?id=2552438

24 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Yeah, in short yardage situations, it would be best to 2 gap, unless you have really disruptive interior DL. 

8 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What's your opinion on Woods? 

He's fine for a two down interior lineman, especially at the price. I think he's a better fit at NT than Parry, and he's much cheaper than Jones (two players that might not be on the roster in a couple months; I'm surprised Jones is still here). He's not a game changing player, by any means, IMO.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's fine for a two down interior lineman, especially at the price. I think he's a better fit at NT than Parry, and he's much cheaper than Jones (two players that might not be on the roster in a couple months; I'm surprised Jones is still here). He's not a game changing player, by any means, IMO.

That's what I wanted to hear. Better than Parry. And idk why Jones is still here either. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The difference is Al Woods has 36" arms, Parry has 31" arms. Height/weight is similar, but Woods has the length desired.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Al&l=Woods&i=8685

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/david-parry?id=2552438

Yeah thats why I specified height/weight....didnt have yime to lookup arm length at the time :)

18 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Are you finished playing Madden now?

27 minutes ago, James said:

Are you finished playing Madden now?

How is that no do-able???? Please tell me. You really think Revis or Flowers are going to get more than a little 1 year deal? Hankins and Brown will probably get something like 4/32. 100% realistic. In fact Brown may not even get that, maybe Hankins. Brown may just get like 3/18 and Hankins 4/32

19 minutes ago, BOTT said:

So, you're the guy who liked the village.

I love suspense. Especially with a twist. I've got a weird taste....but the acting was superb in this movie and a lot of good actors before they got big too. Acting can save a movie...like 10 Cloverfield Lane....wonderful movie because of John Goodman.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, COLTS449 said:

LOL. Nickel Roby from Buffalo. lmao Bradley Roby would be a monster signing, but he'll be in Denver at least 2 more years.

And what I was saying about Revis or Flowers is what would it hurt? To me a 1 year, 5-6 million dollar deal wouldn't hurt anything if they didn't pan out. We also don't know about Shields yet. He'll probably just fade out of the league which is sad as he's still young, and when healthy is a stud, borderline number 1 corner. You never know. We may get the real Revis. Remember he was a stud just 2 years ago. Then just sucked this year. Flowers may be a bit safer. But Cromartie was different than Revis. He was never considered the best CB since Primetime. Revis and Flowers are what? Maybe 31-32? Not that old.

Robey from the bills is actually pretty good id take him and just keep Butler at safety.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

So much better then Sean Spence its not even funny:(. If he signs for 4-5 mil I will be *

He's a really solid ILB. No superstar, all pro, but a very good player nonetheless. I'd love to sign him, but I'd rather trade a 4th for Mychal Kendricks. He would give us an ILB we haven't had in a while.

On 3/17/2017 at 6:35 PM, COLTS449 said:

How is that no do-able???? Please tell me. You really think Revis or Flowers are going to get more than a little 1 year deal? Hankins and Brown will probably get something like 4/32. 100% realistic. In fact Brown may not even get that, maybe Hankins. Brown may just get like 3/18 and Hankins 4/32

You are just dying to get one big name signing so you can go off and say "I told you so".  So much so that you aren't thinking straight...  even for you

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

He's a really solid ILB. No superstar, all pro, but a very good player nonetheless. I'd love to sign him, but I'd rather trade a 4th for Mychal Kendricks. He would give us an ILB we haven't had in a while.

He has all the potential to be a annual pro bowler. His ability to play the run as well as cover makes him a unique and complete LB. Combined that with the fact that he's a freak athlete and he's the ideal LB in today's NFL. Kendricks is nice but I wouldn't trade for him I'd try to pick him up when they cut him. Also a 2 down backer who would have to come off the field on passing downs.

45 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

He has all the potential to be a annual pro bowler. His ability to play the run as well as cover makes him a unique and complete LB. Combined that with the fact that he's a freak athlete and he's the ideal LB in today's NFL. Kendricks is nice but I wouldn't trade for him I'd try to pick him up when they cut him. Also a 2 down backer who would have to come off the field on passing downs.

What are you talking about man? Kendricks is a 3 down LB. Yes. Brown has that ability, but as good as he is, and can be he is a little inconsistent. I still want him though.