Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hosted three ILB's recently

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wish I knew the actual reason why we're no where with Brown?

The only thing I can figure right now is that we have exchanged numbers,  and there's too big a gap between what they're asking for and what we're willing to offer......

Oh well......

Probably the case as I don't think Ballard wants to waste time or be "played." You notice there was never anything tying us to Hightower who would have been a great fit ? I'm thinking he knew Hightower was just jerking teams around to get the most out of NE ?

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Probably the case as I don't think Ballard wants to waste time or be "played." You notice there was never anything tying us to Hightower who would have been a great fit ? I'm thinking he knew Hightower was just jerking teams around to get the most out of NE ?

Ballard's signings so far have been low-risk, under market value type of guys. It seems like his plan is to improve the core of LBs in FA, and then draft the guys that he plans on being starters in those spots within the next 1-2 years. Having said that, it seems like he's willing to break the bank on Poe, but he really has no interest in handing him a 1-year contract.

How dumb when Zach Brown's there for the taking. He's good. Bring him in, offer him 4 years, 40 million and he'll sign. He's very underrated. But I also like several ILB's in this draft class from rounds 1-4.. I think we could actually come out with 2 week 1 starting ILB's...

Zach Cunningham - 2nd

Jarrad Davis 2nd

Alex Anzalone 2nd-3rd, possibly 4th even.

Kendell Beckwith 2nd-3rd-4th

Raeckwon McMillan 3rd, maybe 4th

Anthony Walker 3rd-4th

Jalen Reeves Maybin 4th, maybe 5th.

Then a couple 5-6 range guys I like...

Connor Harris

Elijah Lee

Cunningham or Davis in the 2nd, (I want Davis) then Anzalone or Beckwith in the 4th would be perfect. Then I'd grab Reeves Maybin too. Let them battle it out with Jackson and Morrison. Lee and Harris could be big time sleepers though. Lee has the ability to be a Kwon Alexander type, Harris is a tackling machine, but I wouldn't take him in the 5th. We'd have to trade back and pick up a 6th or something. Maybe we'll get Davis in the 2nd, and Anzalone and Reeves Maybin in the 4th. Anzalone is a 2nd round talent.

Davis and Anzalone would both start as they're already better than anyone we have. They could be a force, plus they've played together at Florida so there's that. We need to bring in Hankins or Poe to keep em clean to make plays though. But with Jarrad Davis, Alex Anzalone, Jalen Reeves Maybin, Edwin Jackson, and Antonio Morrison we would be fine. One of E-Jax or Morrison wouldn't make the final 53 if we draft 3 ILB's.

12 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Ballard's signings so far have been low-risk, under market value type of guys. It seems like his plan is to improve the core of LBs in FA, and then draft the guys that he plans on being starters in those spots within the next 1-2 years. Having said that, it seems like he's willing to break the bank on Poe, but he really has no interest in handing him a 1-year contract.

Agree although I wouldn't consider Shread "under the market." The rest of them ... yep. And I agree with Ballard on doing Poe with a 1 year deal. Makes no sense ( IMO) for us to do that.

11 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

How dumb when Zach Brown's there for the taking. He's good. Bring him in, offer him 4 years, 40 million and he'll sign. He's very underrated.

You have no idea if Ballard has made a call to his agent or not. Maybe he has no interest in coming to Indy? The point being, please stop acting like you know what is happening behind the scenes, or more so, what you believe is not happening. Free agency is way more complicated than just offering more $$$.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Having terrible unathletic ILB'S must be a Pagano thing God I can't wait til he is gone 

Guess I'll hope for Minter he supposedly lost weight and became more athletic 

Hey bro. I know you are kinda in the same category with me, so go to my thread about wasting away Lucks career and chime in if you haven't already. Don't think you have.

8 minutes ago, Shive said:

You have no idea if Ballard has made a call to his agent or not. Maybe he has no interest in coming to Indy? The point being, please stop acting like you know what is happening behind the scenes, or more so, what you believe is not happening. Free agency is way more complicated than just offering more $$$.

No I don't have any idea, but neither do you. But common sense says if we wanted a few big names we could make it happen. You guys act like nobody wants to sign here, like "Oh well maybe we did try and get him" But common sense says otherwise. Its just like anything else. If you go after 10 big time ballers, you're bound to land at least 2 of them.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Hey bro. I know you are kinda in the same category with me, so go to my thread about wasting away Lucks career and chime in if you haven't already. Don't think you have.

I did vote I voted no because I trust ballard but totally think we wasted it when numb nuts was here  

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

I did vote I voted no because I trust ballard but totally think we wasted it when numb nuts was here  

I got ya. cool. I don't think Ballard is starting off well, but we'll see how his draft works out. It best be a home run.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I got ya. cool. I don't think Ballard is starting off well, but we'll see how his draft works out. It best be a home run.

Well there weren't really any people I wanted this offseason except Berry poe and chandler jones 2 were impossible the other may still sign so I'm good 

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

No I don't have any idea, but neither do you. But common sense says if we wanted a few big names we could make it happen. You guys act like nobody wants to sign here, like "Oh well maybe we did try and get him" But common sense says otherwise. Its just like anything else. If you go after 10 big time ballers, you're bound to land at least 2 of them.

How is it common sense that people want to sign here?? There are plenty of other good quarterbacks on better teams that players can go to. I'd say its obvious that people do not want to come here as we have whiffed on the big names so far.

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

How is it common sense that people want to sign here?? There are plenty of other good quarterbacks on better teams that players can go to. I'd say its obvious that people do not want to come here as we have whiffed on the big names so far.

lmao .....Jacksonville???? Dude. If we went after say 10 big time players we would definitely land at least 2. That's obvious.

I heard Sean Spence was decent in coverage but that's about it.

Don't know the deal about Zach Brown... it's not just us that are not going after him. Maybe he's a little overrated. I didn't watch him much last year but heard he missed a lot of tackles and a lot of his tackles came down the field. That sounds like D'Qwell Jackson from a couple of years ago to me.

17 minutes ago, Shive said:

EXACTLY!!! 

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

I heard Sean Spence was decent in coverage but that's about it.

Don't know the deal about Zach Brown... it's not just us that are not going after him. Maybe he's a little overrated. I didn't watch him much last year but heard he missed a lot of tackles and a lot of his tackles came down the field. That sounds like D'Qwell Jackson from a couple of years ago to me.

The biggest knock on Zach Brown is that he isn't very consistent. Some snaps are outstanding ranking with top ILBs, but there are some plays where he looks like a bottom 5 ILB.

I also heard that Spence was good in coverage, but I remember Doyle burning both him and Avery Williamson in coverage.

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

lmao .....Jacksonville???? Dude. If we went after say 10 big time players we would definitely land at least 2. That's obvious.

Florida has no income tax, so a player would make considerably more there than an identical contract with us. We'd have to offer a few million more than them to make it worth it. Add into the equation that you'd be living in sunny Florida instead of much colder Indy... Notice that the Florida teams tend to do better in FA than most northern teams, despite being overall worse teams.

3 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

It may be his lack of consistency and huge drop-off in the 2nd half of the season that has teams worried?

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I'm not going to try to keep explaining to you every reason why free agents could sign somewhere else because you obviously forget Florida has the weather and no state income tax that Indiana does not. Also they had more cap space. That's why they picked up Bouye and we didn't. Actually reports said we were in "aggressively" going after Bouye and he signed with the Jags. What does that tell you?

And we were rumoured to have gone after Bouye, Zeitler, Poe, Alshon Jeffery, Nick Perry and others and we'd be lucky to sign one of the "big names".

43 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

How dumb when Zach Brown's there for the taking. He's good. Bring him in, offer him 4 years, 40 million and he'll sign. He's very underrated. But I also like several ILB's in this draft class from rounds 1-4.. I think we could actually come out with 2 week 1 starting ILB's...

Zach Cunningham - 2nd

Jarrad Davis 2nd

Anthony Walker 3rd-4th

Connor Harris

Elijah Lee

Cunningham or Davis in the 2nd, (I want Davis) then Anzalone or Beckwith in the 4th would be perfect. Then I'd grab Reeves Maybin too. Let them battle it out with Jackson and Morrison. Lee and Harris could be big time sleepers though. Lee has the ability to be a Kwon Alexander type, Harris is a tackling machine, but I wouldn't take him in the 5th. We'd have to trade back and pick up a 6th or something. Maybe we'll get Davis in the 2nd, and Anzalone and Reeves Maybin in the 4th. Anzalone is a 2nd round talent.

Davis and Anzalone would both start as they're already better than anyone we have. They could be a force, plus they've played together at Florida so there's that. We need to bring in Hankins or Poe to keep em clean to make plays though. But with Jarrad Davis, Alex Anzalone, Jalen Reeves Maybin, Edwin Jackson, and Antonio Morrison we would be fine. One of E-Jax or Morrison wouldn't make the final 53 if we draft 3 ILB's.

I don't like Cunningham just don't think he is one a fit or two even that good his movement looked terrible at the combine.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The only thing I can figure right now is that we have exchanged numbers,  and there's too big a gap between what they're asking for and what we're willing to offer......

Oh well......

Not so much money as overall philosophy.  Brown probably wants long term starters money and the Colts are committed to finding their long term starters via the draft.  

Ballard probably will use free agency for finding only stop-gap players, which I agree with.

13 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I'm not going to try to keep explaining to you every reason why free agents could sign somewhere else because you obviously forget Florida has the weather and no state income tax that Indiana does not. Also they had more cap space. That's why they picked up Bouye and we didn't. Actually reports said we were in "aggressively" going after Bouye and he signed with the Jags. What does that tell you?

And we were rumoured to have gone after Bouye, Zeitler, Poe, Alshon Jeffery, Nick Perry and others and we'd be lucky to sign one of the "big names".

Yep

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793199/article/campbell-didnt-talk-to-marrone-before-jags-signing

Campbell had a pretty high-profile choice to make between the Jaguars and the Broncos. Jacksonville offered the most money, but Denver had the track record and one of the best defensive players in football in Von Miller. Without some of those players in place, could we have seen Campbell change his mind?

"Playing with Von Miller was a big temptation," he said. "He's going to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Playing next to a guy like that is a positive, because you feed off a guy like that. That would have been cool. Also, being home would have been a good situation.

It's usually all about the money

12 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Zeitler, Hightower, Bouye, Perry, and Jeffery were all players we were reported to be pursuing. If your "obvious" idea were true, we would "definitely" have 1 of them here now. So why dont we, or does your magic made up formula state that only players #7 and #9 of the ten will sign??

Despite what you think, there are reasons players do not want to be here. We were in the correct price range for all of these players according to reports, but they chose to sign other places. We cant help that. Whether it is the Coach, the city, the system, etc - we dont know. But we didnt even make the top 3 for a lot of these guys. You need to let it go. Ballard tried and it didnt happen. This isnt Madden. Real people have this thing called free will and they chose to sign elsewhere. 

Are the rest of us happy about it?? NO. But we arent on here whining about it, calling everyone stupid for not doing what you would have done, and putting forth outlandish opinions and presenting them as facts. I get you are upset, but rather than a thread like "Are we wasting Luck's Career" 2 months into a new regime, shouldnt you be focused on what the serious problem appears to be? Maybe a thread like "Why arent top free agents choosing to sign with us?". This way you can get across your frustration but still start a good dialogue about what we need to do going forward to improve. 

Look, I get that you are a passionate guy and care about the team, but you need to realize that at some point logic, reason, and verifiable facts will get you a lot farther in a reasonable debate than rants and "guarantees" ever will. Im not saying this as any sort of insult or slight against you, just simply offering advice, from one young fanatic to another, trying to get you take a step back and look at the facts before you go off. You will find a lot of people less abrasive and we wont have to go through this same back and forth with you every day. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Zach Cunningham - 2nd

Jarrad Davis 2nd

Anthony Walker 3rd-4th

Connor Harris

Elijah Lee

There, now how about you calm the hell down!

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh well......

Brown faded down the stretch last year and fits better in a 4-3 or that is what I read. I'm not sure where the 4/3 came from.  I know you like to read these things yourself NCF so I will try to find the link. Maybe it's the music? I don't know. 

I want to sign Hodges a converted S at PSU. He is good against the run and solid in coverage possesses the sideline to sideline speed we really need. He's my favorite in FA minus Hightower. 

We need to sign at least one FA. Morrison starting would not be good  Jackson can at least run and change directions. ILB is a weak position group for us and in the draft. 

Looking at the depth chart we have 2 small school kids that were very good in college. King won every award a defensive  player can after a 163 tackle Sr year at Norfolk St. 

Rhodes from William & Mary looked good last preseason and was a surprise cut in TB. We might have some depth and both might beat out Morrison. I don't see a solid starter emerging. 

Then there is Geathers and the talk of him moving to ILB. Mingo can play some ILB too. I think we sign a FA and grab a kid in the draft. A sleeper I like day 3 is Munson SDSU. He quietly does it all for the Aztecs. 

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Zach Cunningham - 2nd

Jarrad Davis 2nd

Anthony Walker 3rd-4th

Connor Harris

Elijah Lee

Zach Brown will get 6.5-7 million a year. 2 or 3 year contract. 10 is insane for him. Good player but not Hightower or Kuechly. He is my number 1 ILB to get now, but I wouldn't want him for that price. Hardly any ILB's are worth that price. I like the upside Minter has, but Brown is a tackling machine. He gets after the quarterback well too for an ILB. 

I have been a Minter proponent from day one. An ILB who can cover? That's just what we need. None of this two down one dimensional stuff for me.The Travis Kelces of the world kill us on first and second downs when our so called run stoppers are forced to cover the middle. Let's get beyond that obvious weakness with Minter.