Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ex-Michigan CB Jourdan Lewis Facing Diomestic Violence Charges

The timing just couldn't be worse....    but at this point there are no details....   at least none that I saw in the story....     but that's going to change at some point long before the draft....

There no way to spin this in a positive direction, so this is going to cost the kid real money.

25 minutes ago, krunk said:

Watch she'll turn around and drop the charges I bet.

You can't drop domestic violence charges in a lot of states. Once the police conclude that someone has been assaulted one or both parties are GOING to jail. No if, and, or buts. The state presses charges on the guilty party

40 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

You can't drop domestic violence charges in a lot of states. Once the police conclude that someone has been assaulted one or both parties are GOING to jail. No if, and, or buts. The state presses charges on the guilty party

And according to a quick google search I did, you can't drop em in Michigan.

I wonder where he falls now. If the report ends up being serious he might fall extremely far. I hope it comes out that he didn't strike her, maybe grabbed her or slapped her? Not justifying any of it but if its not so bad we could get him in the 3rd and get the steal of the draft. The timing will hurt him, he messed up big time

"It wasn't clear to the officers (Wednesday morning) if there was an assault, or who the aggressor was,"

That's the big sentence for me. Wait for the investigation to turn up what it turns up. I'm not discounting him in 2nd/3rd round range yet.

5 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

"It wasn't clear to the officers (Wednesday morning) if there was an assault, or who the aggressor was,"

That's the big sentence for me. Wait for the investigation to turn up what it turns up. I'm not discounting him in 2nd/3rd round range yet.

He was projected in the 2nd-3rd round range anyway.  Assuming the report is accurate, I doubt he drops much further.  He isn't the biggest guy in the world, you have to wonder how he'll hold up in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He was projected in the 2nd-3rd round range anyway.  Assuming the report is accurate, I doubt he drops much further.  He isn't the biggest guy in the world, you have to wonder how he'll hold up in the NFL.

Size was always going to be hi issue coming in to the league. Although his physicality against receivers and his run support work are both that of a bigger man.  

Unless claims come out that he punched his significant other or something similar and it wasn't just an argument between 2 people that got a bit loud and pushy, I'm not going to say that he falls very far, if at all.

Although if for some reason this props him to the 3rd, then I'd be all for it.

4 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Size was always going to be hi issue coming in to the league. Although his physicality against receivers and his run support work are both that of a bigger man.  

Unless claims come out that he punched his significant other or something similar and it wasn't just an argument between 2 people that got a bit loud and pushy, I'm not going to say that he falls very far, if at all.

Although if for some reason this props him to the 3rd, then I'd be all for it.

I was reading the WalterFootball draft and they had us taking Rasul Douglas in the 4th.  He may not last that long but I think he's a better prospect than Lewis.  6-2, 200+.  His biggest issue is he's only had one year of power 5 college ball. 

Had an up/down senior bowl, and apparently is in need of coaching.  Say what you want about our coaches, but they had guys you never heard of playing CB last year doing a decent job.  The question with Douglas to me, is does he have the smarts to play the position.

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I was reading the WalterFootball draft and they had us taking Rasul Douglas in the 4th.  He may not last that long but I think he's a better prospect than Lewis.  6-2, 200+.  His biggest issue is he's only had one year of power 5 college ball. 

Had an up/down senior bowl, and apparently is in need of coaching.  Say what you want about our coaches, but they had guys you never heard of playing CB last year doing a decent job.  The question with Douglas to me, is does he have the smarts to play the position.

I agree on Douglas. I think, even though this is a deep class, outside of maybe 2/3 CBs, you're going to have to compromise on one attribute for another. I think Lewis is better suited for the nickel role since big strengths for him are physicality at the line, outstanding footwork and excellent ball skills. I think Lewis could turn into one of the better nickels in the league for a man cover team.

I like Rasul, but you hit the nail on the head. Lack of experience and awareness can be dangerous, see TJ Green (not comparing them as players). I like Rasul but I wouldn't want him to be the best CB we took in the draft. Since we've filled our 2 OLB slots and are reportedly looking at a few ILBs, I'm thinking Marlon Humphrey might be a great option to fill CB#2.

Although I must say, I quite like Rashaan Melvin as depth. He arguably outplayed Patrick Robinson last year.

14 hours ago, SP_21 said:

The fact that it wasn't clear to the officers that anything went on I don't think it's all that likely they'll find anything if she wants to drop the charges.   Not that I'm saying she should, but if she decides to protect him then there doesn't seem to be any bodily injury to prove he hit her.     Probably isn't much for them to go on even if they pursue it.    Still waiting on the details though.

Ann Arbor Det. Lt. Matthew Lige told ESPN that police responded to a 911 call around 1 a.m. Wednesday from a woman believed to be Lewis' girlfriend. The woman alleged that she and Lewis had an argument and that he assaulted her at an apartment in Ann Arbor.

Lewis was not at the apartment when police arrived, but spoke to them via telephone and met with officers a few miles from the apartment shortly thereafter. Lewis was not arrested, and the woman did not receive any medical attention for injuries.

"There were no visible apparent signs of injury, but she is claiming that assault occurred," Lige said. "Assault can occur without apparent injury. It wasn't clear if an assault had occurred, so officers released him at the scene."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18916879/former-michigan-wolverines-cb-jourdan-lewis-charged-one-count-misdemeanor-domestic-violence

It doesn't look like there's much to go on with this.  They didn't even have enough to arrest the guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious about the details of Lewis' situation and found a nice account of both sides of the story:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18967692/police-report-details-differing-accounts-alleged-domestic-violence-incident-jourdan-lewis-accuser

Sounds more like a domestic spat than a domestic violence issue, but still not a good thing. One thing that I've learned in life is that dating a crazy person can make even the most rational and sane person act just as crazy. That's a textbook toxic relationship and he needs to steer clear of her, because they obviously bring the worst out in each other.