Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why no conversation about Hankins

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Not sure why Ballard wouldn't beat that offer. But apparently no other team will either. 

I was curious, so I went on one of the Giants fan forums to see what they thought about him.  I didn't spend much time there but what I saw was positive.

All I know is that he's affordable and better than anyone we have on the roster at that spot.  Seems like a slam dunk.  But there could be stuff we don't know, from medical to personal.

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I was curious, so I went on one of the Giants fan forums to see what they thought about him.  I didn't spend much time there but what I saw was positive.

All I know is that he's affordable and better than anyone we have on the roster at that spot.  Seems like a slam dunk.  But there could be stuff we don't know, from medical to personal.

Yeah, I have trouble seeing a clear vision on this. We know that Ballard wants a quality NT from the talks with Poe and Woods looks more like a backup so what is the deal? It is probably not money if that lousy offer from Giants is all he have. Maybe we don't consider he a true NT? I would sign him and cut Jones in a heartbeat even if he is looked as "just" a DT but not a true NT. 

Just do it all ready! :bossy::Gaah:

1 minute ago, Mr Clueless said:

Yeah, I have trouble seeing a clear vision on this. We know that Ballard wants a quality NT from the talks with Poe and Woods looks more like a backup so what is the deal? It is probably not money if that lousy offer from Giants is all he have. Maybe we don't consider he a true NT? I would sign him and cut Jones in a heartbeat even if he is looked as "just" a DT but not a true NT. 

Just do it all ready! :bossy::Gaah:

Is Ballard on Twitter?  Maybe we should start a campaign to message him and Mr. Irsay.  #SignHankins!

He's not getting a deal with the 10mil+ he was pushing. Now he's dropped to 8mil but that's not what the Giants want him at. If I was Chris Ballard idk why I wouldn't make this happen, you almost gave Poe 12mil why not give Hankins 8mil? Were still sitting on about 25-30 mil I think

41 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

He's not getting a deal with the 10mil+ he was pushing. Now he's dropped to 8mil but that's not what the Giants want him at. If I was Chris Ballard idk why I wouldn't make this happen, you almost gave Poe 12mil why not give Hankins 8mil? Were still sitting on about 25-30 mil I think

I think it's under 20M by now.  If you look at Spotrec, they're not quite up to date with Butler, Woods, and the new TE but they did have Spence.  They also include what the draft class will cost.  They have us somewhere between 23-25 depending on how you read it (top 51 contracts).   

But that still means we have plenty to sign Hankins.  8M/year sounds like it would do it.  Is he worth it?  

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

We did NOT almost give Poe 12 Mill.     Not sure where that comes from?    If we had,  Poe would've signed with us.......

Maybe it's possible that Hankins does not want to play the 3-4?      Or maybe he doesn't want to play in a small market like Indy.      Maybe he likes the idea of a big city like New York?      There are all sorts of reasons why it hasn't happened.      Doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow, or sometime this week?

But if it doesn't happen,  there are reasons......

17 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think it's under 20M by now.  If you look at Spotrec, they're not quite up to date with Butler, Woods, and the new TE but they did have Spence.  They also include what the draft class will cost.  They have us somewhere between 23-25 depending on how you read it (top 51 contracts).   

But that still means we have plenty to sign Hankins.  8M/year sounds like it would do it.  Is he worth it?  

Yea but then overthecap has us at 28 before the draft. They have Spence as well as butler but no woods. I'm confused honestly idk what its is, Doyle and Sheard are the only real chunk signing, everything else adds up to like 15mil. It could be 25 maybe its under 20 but I'm not sure. I do think he's worth it, he's a 3 down Nose who doesn't just eat up blocks but also makes plays. He's a top 10 NT in the league RN and he's only 25.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

We did NOT almost give Poe 12 Mill.     Not sure where that comes from?    If we had,  Poe would've signed with us.......

Maybe it's possible that Hankins does not want to play the 3-4?      Or maybe he doesn't want to play in a small market like Indy.      Maybe he likes the idea of a big city like New York?      There are all sorts of reasons why it hasn't happened.      Doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow, or sometime this week?

But if it doesn't happen,  there are reasons......

Reported by Josina and posted on this forum like a million times. Sorry "up to" 12 mil a year. 60÷5=.....12. Maybe you think she wasn't talking about us and that's fair, but I do. 

31 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Reported by Josina and posted on this forum like a million times. Sorry "up to" 12 mil a year. 60÷5=.....12. Maybe you think she wasn't talking about us and that's fair, but I do. 

We really don't know how much was guaranteed or incentive laden.  He'd be crazy not to take it if most of it was guaranteed.   

He's taking a chance that he won't get hurt this year to get a big contract next season.  Maybe he thinks he's going to get Suh money, 60m guaranteed.   

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

We really don't know how much was guaranteed or incentive laden.  He'd be crazy not to take it if most of it was guaranteed.   

He's taking a chance that he won't get hurt this year to get a big contract next season.  Maybe he thinks he's going to get Suh money, 60m guaranteed.   

I'm sure most of it wasn't guaranteed it was a high incentive contract. I think your spot on with these stud FAs that took a 1 year deal. They're playing it smart TBH their agents know the cap space is going up next year so wait it out and get the most out of the biggest contract of your career. 

3 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I don't think Josina said anything with clarity that the big offer came from the Colts.

I think people here jumped to conclusions on that one.     

I don't believe we offered 5/60 and he signed elsewhere for 1/8 which might become 10.    That does NOT add up.      Makes no sense at all.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think Josina said anything with clarity that the big offer came from the Colts.

I think people here jumped to conclusions on that one.     

I don't believe we offered 5/60 and he signed elsewhere for 1/8 which might become 10.    That does NOT add up.      Makes no sense at all.

Well like the other poster said most was probably not guaranteed it was play for your pay so to speak. It was either us or the Jags the phins couldn't break the bank like that. It does if you look at it from an agents stand point. Why sign long term now when the salary cap is going up until 2020. More money to spend for teams means more money for these future FAs. Hypothetically if Dontari Poe has a Pro Bowl type year with full health and he's hits FA next year he'll be looking at 13-15/yr. To me it makes sense

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

Well like the other poster said most was probably not guaranteed it was play for your pay so to speak. It was either us or the Jags the phins couldn't break the bank like that. It does if you look at it from an agents stand point. Why sign long term now when the salary cap is going up until 2020. More money to spend for teams means more money for these future FAs. Hypothetically if Dontari Poe has a Pro Bowl type year with full health and he's hits FA next year he'll be looking at 13-15/yr. To me it makes sense

Guarantees are normally 40 to 60 percent.    Somewhat higher for the best, like Luck, who got 71 percent guaranteed.     Or closer to 30-33 percent for lesser players.

But if we guaranteed 10 Mill that would only be 16 percent.    So,  that doesn't sound likely.

If we offered 60,  we would have at least guaranteed 10, and possibly more.    So,  I don't see that deal being realistic.      

Poe can shop...   but he now HAS to have a good year to get a good offer next year.    Bad backs typically don't get better after another year of wear and tear...

Nothing about the reported numbers make sense.    Nothing.   This feels like the Poe camp trying to create a bidding war and no one bit.     He got 1/8 from Atlanta.    Incentives can make it 10.     That's Poe's new world.   He's got to have to flat-out ball like crazy to get more than that a year from now......

I was impressed that Ballard got Poe in the building for a day,  and let him walk out the door when they couldn't come to terms.     Takes guts to do that.     I think that might be Ballard's most impressive move so far of the off-season.