Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why no conversation about Hankins

13 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

There has been, but since there hasn't been a direct connection between the Colts and him, the conversations have been limited.

I would love it if we were to get him. A little Buckeye bias there.

There's not been much talk about him anywhere to any team in FA...

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts aren't going to be interested in every top rated FA. 

Free agency is very similar to the draft. You have your 2 favorite targets picked out and sweat like mad through the picks leading up to those guys. You leap for joy as they are both available when the Colts pick. Your bubble is burst as they select a player you never even considered. Forget last year as we went with the obvious.

Anyway FA is much the same. Evidently Ballard does not value Brown like we do ? Word was we really went after Jeffries ? Who would have figured that one ?

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Free agency is very similar to the draft. You have your 2 favorite targets picked out and sweat like mad through the picks leading up to those guys. You leap for joy as they are both available when the Colts pick. Your bubble is burst as they select a player you never even considered. Forget last year as we went with the obvious.

Anyway FA is much the same. Evidently Ballard does not value Brown like we do ? Word was we really went after Jeffries ? Who would have figured that one ?

Not enough people realize this. I see way too many "Why didn't we go after ____" topics. Teams don't want every guy that hits the open market at a position of need.

The Colts may not see Hankins a 3-4 NT.

The Giants played a 4-3 last year with Harrison on the Nose and Hankins as the 3-Tech.

It's also possible that Hankins does not want to play the Nose in a 3-4.    That he only wants to play DT in a 4-3.  

Not sure what other options we might be considering at the point....  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Giants played a 4-3 last year with Harrison on the Nose and Hankins as the 3-Tech.

It's also possible that Hankins does not want to play the Nose in a 3-4.    That he only wants to play DT in a 4-3.  

26f331e5fd2637c8e6657a1bc7318367.jpg

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not enough people realize this. I see way too many "Why didn't we go after ____" topics. Teams don't want every guy that hits the open market at a position of need.

The great example was last year and I'm sick of bashing Grigson , so take this for what it's worth. 

2012 draft ...Colt management leak out that they "just" missed a player in the 2nd round and selected Duane Allen in that spot. It was pretty much proved to be Casey Hayward as GB traded and moved ahead of us.

Hayward plays very well for GB and we need a CB in 2016. Many of us thought we would make a big effort to sign Hayward. We sign Robinson while Hayward is still unsigned. Hayward gets a few more bucks than we paid Robinson. 

I guess this is not an "example " but instead is proof that it doesn't pay to get too emotionally involved. 

6 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Hes closer on his "not gonna happen" rant. He went off about how we would get some big names, not mid range guys like Simon and Minter :lol:

People don't learn. Every year this happens. Some people really thought we were going to get Von Miller awhile back.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hankins hated the 4-3 so i bet he will only sign with a 3-4 team.

24 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

He may be waiting for Poe to "set the market", although it sorta seemed like Williams already did.

It could be that Poe is simply the first choice of the teams that need a NT and Hankins just needs for him to pick a team. Then he takes the best offer from the teams that miss out on Poe ? Naturally the teams that are pursuing Poe would need to have pretty much told his agent that they have interest in him if they miss Poe.

I think it makes sense if a couple of the teams that prefer Poe have interest in Hankins also. Why would he sign now and maybe have a better offer if he waits it out ?

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm not saying you're wrong,  because I have no idea,  but can you share how you know this?

Most young DL would rather play in a 4-3 where you can make more plays than being a pure NT....    I'm speaking in general here....

Do we know why he doesn't like the 4-3?

Inquiring minds would like to know this?        Thanks.....

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Where have you seen that? I find that odd since that's the only front he's ever played in (as a base front) collegiately and professionally.

Here's why we haven't heard many teams linked to Hankins. Of coarse that's assuming this report is accurate .

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports free agent DT Johnathan Hankins is seeking more than $10 million per season.

One week into free agency, it's fair to say the market believes Hankins is asking for too much. The Miami Herald reported earlier Thursday that Hankins is adamant about signing a long-term deal. Typically, the money is all gone at this point in free agency, but many teams remain flush with cap space. Hankins, though only 25 this month, seems unlikely to get his desired $10 million per year, but could still come away with a nice chunk of change.

15 hours ago, Shive said:

Where have you seen that? I find that odd since that's the only front he's ever played in (as a base front) collegiately and professionally.

I have also seen that. Possibly PFF but I can't be sure.  His ideal fit is at NT in a 3-4.  Harrison took his position away from him.  We really are the ideal place for him and we want a long term deal.  Sounds like a great match if he realizes he's not going to get that kind of money.  

Just now, richard pallo said:

I have also seen that. Possibly PFF but I can't be sure.  His ideal fit is at NT in a 3-4.  Harrison took his position away from him.  We really are the ideal place for him and we want a long term deal.  Sounds like a great match if he realizes he's not going to get that kind of money.  

Yeah, but there is a long way from the 10 mio per year he demands to the 7 mio we will probably offer.

1 minute ago, Mr Clueless said:

Yeah, but there is a long way from the 10 mio per year he demands to the 7 mio we will probably offer.

But if no team is calling with his current 9mil number then he will have to come down or not play.  His agent wants money as well so my guess is the 2mil per year difference will not be that hard.  But another team could come in and grab him.

3 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

The article said the Skins and Dolphins were the only teams linked to him, and the Skins seem to have moved on.  They said they weren't sure how real the Dolphins interest was.

If we're really interested, it may not take much more than that 7/year, if we don't think the Giants are going to match.

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

But if no team is calling with his current 9mil number then he will have to come down or not play.  His agent wants money as well so my guess is the 2mil per year difference will not be that hard.  But another team could come in and grab him.

Exactly!  I don't see what's so hard here.  He want's a multi year deal and that is our preference. If we were offering Poe around a 5yr. 12mil per year, per J. Anderson, how can we not consider bringing him in and talk about a lower but strong 4 or 5 yr. contract.  His options are dwindling.  Unless he has problems we are not aware of this just seems so easy.  25yrs. old and no health issues like Poe. No reason not to bring him in IMO. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Exactly!  I don't see what's so hard here.  He want's a multi year deal and that is our preference. If we were offering Poe around a 5yr. 12mil per year, per J. Anderson, how can we not consider bringing him in and talk about a lower but strong 4 or 5 yr. contract.  His options are dwindling.  Unless he has problems we are not aware of this just seems so easy.  25yrs. old and no health issues like Poe. No reason not to bring him in IMO. 

Where are you hearing we were offering 12 mill. per year to Poe ? I never saw that from J Anderson. Plus you can offer anything but the guaranteed money is what its all about 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

She did say that... my bad. But I do doubt that it was 12 mill per year without some "catches" and probably was lacking the normal guaranteed money for that large a deal.

On 3/15/2017 at 4:16 PM, Defjamz26 said:

People don't learn. Every year this happens. Some people really thought we were going to get Von Miller awhile back.

Image result

WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

and I thought I was quixotic! I haven't been reading on this board for that long, but I wish I'd seen those posts.

Whoever thought we'd be in the running for Von Miller CLEARLY wears the crown and must be The King of that mystical land, in a song, called "wishful thinking".

I may be just a jester, but I'm much more pragmatic now. I trust CB is sticking to his (and his Team's) evaluations and value assessments on which player and how much in FA OR which player and when in the DRAFT.  The Trenches are a main priority for his regime and he may have Our future NT selected just one pick away... so let's wait.

Formerly the King

2 minutes ago, BlueTruth said:

Image result

WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

and I thought I was quixotic! I haven't been reading on this board for that long, but I wish I'd seen those posts.

Whoever thought we'd be in the running for Von Miller CLEARLY wears the crown and must be The King of that mystical land, in a song, called "wishful thinking".

I may be just a jester, but I'm much more pragmatic now. I trust CB is sticking to his (and his Team's) evaluations and value assessments on which player and how much in FA OR which player and when in the DRAFT.  The Trenches are a main priority for his regime and he may have Our future NT selected just one pick away... so let's wait.

Formerly the King

You should have seen some of the players people thought we were signing. Ndamukong Suh, Larry Fitzgerald, Darelle Revis, Demarco Murray,etc... People link us to the top FAs every year. I don't understand why it happened this offseason though. Ballard stated his intentions and thoughts about FA early on. But people are somehow upset we're not snatching up the high priced FAs. 

I trust Ballards process.

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If we were offering Poe around a 5yr. 12mil per year, per J. Anderson, ...

Wait, what?! If Poe turned down a 5 year, 12mil per year from us, he is crazy. I know that he preferred a one year deal, but that is just crazy. O.o

Me thinks his agent has tampered with his brain. :loco:

Just thought I'd bump this.  It's really curious why the Colts aren't at least offering him more than the Giants since they were apparently willing to offer Poe a big contract.  Supposedly, the Giants are only offering a 1yr/4M contract.

There has to be something going on if we don't even want to beat that?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/03/latest-on-dt-johnathan-hankins