Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we wasting away Lucks career?

COLTS449

Are we wasting away Lucks career?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are we wasting away Lucks career?

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Are they wasting him?   Currently, right now, No.   I think Ballard is doing some good things and I think that will continue.

What on earth are you seeing?

Ballard has signed....and RE-SIGNED... some stop-gap defensive players to stop-gap contracts to replace the stop-gap players who left.

On offense, he got rid of 1 TE and has yet to find a third TE, and replaced a C/OG another C/OG when we have a capable backup C.

The offseason, at best, has been one giant push...so far.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What on earth are you seeing?

Ballard has signed....and RE-SIGNED... some stop-gap defensive players to stop-gap contracts to replace the stop-gap players who left.

On offense, he got rid of 1 TE and has yet to find a third TE, and replaced a C/OG another C/OG when we have a capable backup C.

The offseason, at best, has been one giant push...so far.

I disagree.   The current team is better than last years team.   The difference is the depth and potential we have now.  I'm not saying it is vastly better, but other than the punter, I like the players we signed more than they players that left.  We added size and strength. 

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   The current team is better than last years team.   The difference is the depth and potential we have now.  I'm not saying it is vastly better, but other than the punter, I like the players we signed more than they players that left.  We added size and strength. 

I like the players too.  But Walden, Cole, Mathis, and Adams are all players that would have left no matter who was GM.  I know we're not talking about GMs, but I think any GM could have made the moves Ballard has made without trying too hard.

And I think we are seeing that even though a team may have gobs of cap space, there still aren't many free agents who are worthy of spending it on.  

As far as Luck's career, it will always benefit from having a great defense, but changing the offense to better suit his skills is what would directly benefit his career, IMO.  Hopefully that will happen some.

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Luck should have been put into a more of a WC-based offense from day 1.  Not a power-run, man-blocking, play-action, vertical, offense.

That philosophy came from the top.  Nowhere else.

At the time I was very critical of Arians' offensive system as we were wedded to long developing vertical plays behind a patchwork O line with a rookie QB. 

7 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

At the time I was very critical of Arians' offensive system as we were wedded to long developing vertical plays behind a patchwork O line with a rookie QB. 

It worked well when Arians actually ran it.  Not so well when somebody other than Arians ran Arians' offense.  Go figure.

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I like the players too.  But Walden, Cole, Mathis, and Adams are all players that would have left no matter who was GM.  I know we're not talking about GMs, but I think any GM could have made the moves Ballard has made without trying too hard.

Yes, but I know of one ex GM who would not have made these moves.    Other GM's would have overpaid to make a splash with one or 2 house hold names.     I like that Ballard realizes that this team has too many holes to fill for them to pay high dollar for any one free agent.  

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes, but I know of one ex GM who would not have made these moves.    Other GM's would have overpaid to make a splash with one or 2 house hold names.     I like that Ballard realizes that this team has too many holes to fill for them to pay high dollar for any one free agent.  

I can't believe that any GM would not let Adams, Cole, and Walden walk in favor of younger players.  This isn't a few months removed from going to the the AFCCG and you load up on vets to try to push over the top, but keep the contracts cap friendly so you don't mortgage the future.  

That's a very sound strategy after having gone 11-5 and to the AFCCG.

The situation of building from an 8-8 record demands a different approach.   Whether or not they would sign Sheard or Simon as the replacement is less known, but there aren't that many RUSH or SAMS available so the chances are pretty good.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I can't believe that any GM would not let Adams, Cole, and Walden walk in favor of younger players.  This isn't a few months removed from going to the the AFCCG and you load up on vets to try to push over the top, but keep the contracts cap friendly so you don't mortgage the future.  

That's a very sound strategy after having gone 11-5 and to the AFCCG.

The situation of building from an 8-8 record demands a different approach.   Whether or not they would sign Sheard or Simon as the replacement is less known, but there aren't that many RUSH or SAMS available so the chances are pretty good.

You are forgetting about Grigson.   He would not have made these moves.   He would have once again took a chance and tried to hit the lottery.  

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

You are forgetting about Grigson.   He would not have made these moves.   He would have once again took a chance and tried to hit the lottery.  

?.

Not sure when he did that other than possibly the year after just missing the SB, but that's not a bad plan, especially if it doesn't mortgage the future.

I thought Grigson's problem, so I have read, was that he DIDN'T sign enough star players, not that his problem was that he brought in stop gap players to cap friendly deals....like Ballard is doing.

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

?.

Not sure when he did that other than possibly the year after just missing the SB, but that's not a bad plan, especially if it doesn't mortgage the future.

I thought Grigson's problem, so I have read, was that he DIDN'T sign enough star players, not that his problem was that he brought in stop gap players to cap friendly deals....like Ballard is doing.

His issues were mostly poor drafts, but on FA he didn't sign many big strong young players.