Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Poe so coveted?

I'm far from an expert and intricacies of how a 3-4 defense works or any other defense for that matter but I was looking at his stats especially his tackles and they seem extremely small. I've heard his role is to occupy blockers but if that's the case doesn't that make it pretty darn hard to judge exactly how effective he is on the field? I didn't check how his stats compare to other players at his position so maybe there is a huge difference but from what I saw wasn't exactly mind blowing. I'm probably wrong that's why I'm asking you experts on here :)

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Because he's a talented NT. 

and that Colts could really use one...Parry's good as a rotational NT but not a full time one.

And if Anderson and Langford can get back to form this year that could be a very formidable front.

Maybe Poe's asking price has turned a lot of GMs off, especially if he is angling for top DL salary.  Sure he isn't worth 12-15 per but he is easily worth 8-10 per depending on the guarantees.

It seems the market has cooled on him so hopefully he will revisit the Colts offer, even if it's only for a season.

NTs that can move as quickly and be as athletic as Poe are VERY rare. Usually that talent can mean a NT that can be an effective run-stopper and still offer potential pass-rush (which almost never happens with NTs where they can do both). Obviously, he has had injuries and has played WAYY too many plays compared to most NTs but the potential and talent is still there for him to get back to his rookie year. 

Still, a risk. One that I would be willing to take at the right contract. Though it is interesting why Ballard doesn't wanna give him the one year deal. 

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I agree he is a lot more talented than guys we have had their the last 6 seasons.

That's not saying a lot.  Parry is serviceable. 

They were talking about it yesterday on Pat Kirwan's NFL channel show, the way the NFL is moving away from the big 'clog the middle' guys to faster guys who can move.  Poe is rare, it would be a great fit.

41 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I'm far from an expert and intricacies of how a 3-4 defense works or any other defense for that matter but I was looking at his stats especially his tackles and they seem extremely small. I've heard his role is to occupy blockers but if that's the case doesn't that make it pretty darn hard to judge exactly how effective he is on the field? I didn't check how his stats compare to other players at his position so maybe there is a huge difference but from what I saw wasn't exactly mind blowing. I'm probably wrong that's why I'm asking you experts on here :)

He doesn`t pressure the QB much at all as a Big Heavy. And we also play a lot of 4 man fronts.
 In that situation, we would want Poe on the bench. But we do need a guy that can stuff the run on 1st down, short yardage, and at the goal line.
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10263340-74/nose-steelers-nfl

He will end up on a 1-year deal.  Hopefully with us and based on stats he has had good years but has had some bad years lately due to health.  Bennie Logan would have been a solid player to bring in (but we missed out on that 1-year deal).  Give him a 1-year 8 mil deal.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He doesn`t pressure the QB much at all as a Big Heavy. And we also play a lot of 4 man fronts.
 In that situation, we would want Poe on the bench. But we do need a guy that can stuff the run on 1st down, short yardage, and at the goal line.
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10263340-74/nose-steelers-nfl

I can see what your saying and it is partially true.  Look a t the team he came from in KC.  They use a 3 man front to be as disruptive as possible allowing Tamba and Justin to benefit from match-ups.  If we get Poe and Langford and Anderson become better we can benefit from this as well.  A NT can definitely still work well but not in every D.  We could for sure still use a good NT though.

51 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I'm sort of taking other people's words for it but I think if you watch him play game in and out you can see if he's occupying blockers and causing problems for the OL or if he's getting pushed around.  

I played NT in college what I learned from day one is to occupy and create space for my backers to have clear lanes to tackle. It's not about stats, it's about being a space eater. Poe is one of the best. He commands a double team which opens everything up for one on one's on the edge and for clear tackling lanes for our middle backers. All the great 3-4 defenses have had a nose tackle that eats up blockers. Parry is solid but he's a rotational guy, gets worn down quickly. Having Poe would make Morrison, Pound Cake, etc look and play way better. 

33 minutes ago, masnerj said:

NTs that can move as quickly and be as athletic as Poe are VERY rare. Usually that talent can mean a NT that can be an effective run-stopper and still offer potential pass-rush (which almost never happens with NTs where they can do both). Obviously, he has had injuries and has played WAYY too many plays compared to most NTs but the potential and talent is still there for him to get back to his rookie year. 

Still, a risk. One that I would be willing to take at the right contract. Though it is interesting why Ballard doesn't wanna give him the one year deal. 

I think he wants him as a foundation piece for our defense. Foundation pieces shouldn't be on one year deals so you could potentially lose him. He must feel his injuries are not a problem to offer him a LT deal.  If he's confident he is 100% I say pay him and sign him LT. 

5 hours ago, James Sturgill said:

Ray Lewis was an advocate for drafting Haloti Ngata because he wanted that big body in front of him to take on blockers. This allows the line backers to run around more freely and cover more ground to make plays.

Yeah I would say this is the main job for a true NT, to occupy blockers so the LB's are free to make tackles.  Anything more, such as pass rush or collapsing the pocket, are a bonus.

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That's not saying a lot.  Parry is serviceable. 

They were talking about it yesterday on Pat Kirwan's NFL channel show, the way the NFL is moving away from the big 'clog the middle' guys to faster guys who can move.  Poe is rare, it would be a great fit.

Parry isn't an NFL caliber NT he's ok but if he gets overpowered then its all over with a better NT signing then we could move Parry to the other DT spot where I think he would be much better.

2 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Short answer is that he isn't. If he was in such demand, he'd probably already have a big contract in hand.

That's why he's visited a different team everyday since Sunday. And another one 2morro. Yea idk if he'll even find a contract no body wants him

54 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Parry isn't an NFL caliber NT he's ok but if he gets overpowered then its all over with a better NT signing then we could move Parry to the other DT spot where I think he would be much better.

You have any "." on that phone?

10 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

http://www.tzr.io/yarn-clip/b2a799be-9136-4590-b7c8-7cf22d6c3423

6 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Posting this here since the other thread is locked.  Poe has left both the jaguars and the Falcons without a contract.  On his way to visit the Dolphins who I don't think can afford him.  Any other teams interested in him?  Hoping we can get him on a one year prove it deal.

I think I heard somewhere that he is planning a visit to Oakland...or Las Vegas wherever they are....The Raiders.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Look you can disagree with me all you want  just don't see him as a really good NT I just don't.

Lol!  I wasn't disagreeing with you.  I just couldn't understand what you we're saying.  You don't use any punctuation so it's hard to tell where one sentence ends and the others begin.

Forgive me, I'm old.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Lol!  I wasn't disagreeing with you.  I just couldn't understand what you we're saying.  You don't use any punctuation so it's hard to tell where one sentence ends and the others begin.

Forgive me, I'm old.  

Ok what I was saying is we need somebody else for NT cause Parry gets overpowered way too much for a NT. So if we can sign either Poe or Hankins then at the other DT spot is where I believe Parry would be a lot better off and might give us better production.

1 hour ago, GwinnettColt said:

I think I heard somewhere that he is planning a visit to Oakland...or Las Vegas wherever they are....The Raiders.

That's all speculation but hey Dontari is giving every team a shot so maybe