Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 3.0

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792841/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-30-chargers-saints-get-qb-successors

RANK

IND.png

COLTS

Forrest Lamp - OG, Western Kentucky: It's not a sexy pick, but Lamp would team up with last year's first-round selection (Ryan Kelly) and Jack Mewhort to provide a rock-solid interior offensive line.

I gotta say, I am not opposed to further enhancing the OL trenches, like this.  I am high on Lamp and I think he'd be plug & play at ROG inserting into the starting OL, just like Ryan Kelly was last year.  Suddenly OL, finally, starts to look like a potential team strength.

Get Lamp, hope that Sidney Jones falls to the Colts in the 3rd or 4th, grab an RB in the 4th, and go defense with everything else.  I would be happy.

I could definitely see this happening.  The fact we didn't get an entrenched starter in FA makes it more plausible. He is a definite plug and play starter from day one like Kelly.  He could be BPA overall when we pick. For me I want a three down starter with the first. He fits the bill.  

Let's think of it this way: What should be our team's biggest objective? Every year it should probably be that we need to protect Andrew Luck, we need to give him weapons. Continuing to invest highly in the o-line would inarguably be a smart investment, but there could also still be a good upgrade available in round 2 I'd we wanted them.

Otherwise in the words of Brick Tamlin: 

I Love Lamp

I saw that yesterday and my first thought was - he's out of his mind.  Not on our pick, but on a lot of the others.

He usually knows what he's talking about, but the Chargers taking Watson?  Saints taking Mcaffrey, Awuzie going in the first, and three TE's in the first round?  Seems very odd to me.

Just now, Smonroe said:

I saw that yesterday and my first thought was - he's out of his mind.  Not on our pick, but on a lot of the others.

He usually knows what he's talking about, but the Chargers taking Watson?  Saints taking Mcaffrey, Awuzie going in the first, and three TE's in the first round?  Seems very odd to me.

Gotta get attention somehow lol. I agree they're wild. 

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, I'd don't think Lamp is that far-fetched, but much of the mock overall was rather aggressively against the grain.

A lot of people on the forum would probably be real salty going with an offensive player, but he's a really good prospect and would make our team better. If we did go offense at 15 this is probably the guy to pick IMO. I'd be pleased with it, as long as we draft a couple of good defenders on the second day. Imagine trading back and picking up an extra third and still getting Lamp? Oh gosh, that would be an A+. 

2 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Yeah, I'd don't think Lamp is that far-fetched, but much of the mock overall was rather aggressively against the grain.

That's a good way of putting it.  Who knows, he may be spot on.  I know last year a lot of the so called experts were off on a lot of picks.  Not just which team they went to but where in the draft.

This would be a low value pick...and I would question Ballard's overall strategy. That's not to say that Lamp is a bad player...just a bad pick at that point. If Ballard wanted to sure up the right side of the OL with an OG, there were multiple options in FA that only cost money. 

Think about it like this...for about the price of a mid-level defensive player like Sheard, you could have had a top OG like Warford/Leary/Lang. And then you would have your 1st round pick to draft a potential stud at OLB/CB. As we have seen, top defensive players cost significantly more in FA than OGs. So you don't want to give up your best chance to potentially get one of those defensive players on a cheap rookie deal.

Also, if you draft Lamp, his upside is basically one of those top FA OGs (who you could have just signed), while a top OLB/CB prospect has the upside of a player much better (and much more valuable) than Sheard.

So...Warford/Leary/Lang + 1st round OLB/CB  >>>>> Sheard + Lamp

No more interior OL picks in the middle of the 1st round...please. I am aware the Cowboys did that...but that doesn't mean it's the right move for the Colts.  Now once the defense is rebuilt with talent, and the Colts are back to picking at the back of round 1...and a Kevin Zeitler/David DeCastro is sitting there...then we can talk about drafting an OG in round 1.

I wouldn't argue the pick. It's a need and he will last longer than any free agent that was on the market this year. This would solidify the line for years to come depending on mewhort s contract. I would like them to trade down for him but I wouldn't be mad at all.

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

Let Haeg stay at guard

I don't know much about Forrest Lamp but Haeg has already proven he can play in this league. Not only is the value not right because there isn't a O-linemen worth taking at 15 but with the rookie blunders Lamp would go through he's not even an improvement from Joe Haeg.

9 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Caught the tail end of Path to the Draft tonight....and Jeremiah mocked, to the Redskins, Barnett @ 17, Kamara @ 49, and Anzalone @ 83...I'd sure take that for the Colts, though I'd probably sub in a CB or FS in the 3rd for Anzalone.

Thats probably one of the best mocks Ive seen l, including your suggestion in the 3rd.