Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Willis (Edge Scout #12)

Okay. So, This guy is hard to scout, because his biggest problem is that he is 1 dimensional. His 2nd biggest problem is he has low field awareness. And his only other problem, is he has very little initiative to get involved in the run. And that's it.

I was ready to call this dude terrible after watching the Texas Tech Game http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jordan-willis-vs-texas-tech-2016/

I was thinking, how is it that this guy runs a 4.5. He looked slow off the snap and again all I really saw were his negatives.

Then I watched the Stanford Game http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jordan-willis-vs-stanford-2016/

And this was also, not a very good game. He did get a strip fumble, but the Stanford O-line is always a1, and they run sometimes 6 oline manned, or 5 o-line and a TE power formations, and smash it up the gut. I noticed a lot of the same maneuver, which is basically his only maneuver, dip and prey, or dip and run, because he rarely rips, in which case he is very similar to Burnett....but obviously way faster, and just as strong.

But then I watched the WVU game above. A team nobody can get pressure on because of their style of offense, and he wrecked that game. And one thing I noticed, he tried some different styles of rushing. He bull rushed a lot more, and 1 HUGE thing I noticed, is that this guys is EXTRMELY effective on a stunt play. He just runs straight in.

I watched a few more games, and I wasn't impressed with the difficulty he had locating the ball carrier running his way, but I have to give it to him. He can get to the QB.

His 2nd biggest negative (field awareness) is helped a lot by his tackling. He gets a 9/10 in tackling form. I was very impressed at the entire team for that matter. K-State definitely knows how to wrap up and deliver power in their tackles (Who is their coach?)

In all, I think he can be most effective on a creative defensive scheme, like the Seahawks, and hopefully ours. He has what seems like a very stiff body and it's going to be hard to coach him better rush techniques, so stand this guy up in a 3-4 and let him pick a gap to rush and he is going to give people headaches.

Put him at DE in a 4-3 scheme and he be serviceable, but easily blocked by most NFL caliber tackles.

If that write up confused you, is because he hard to understand how somebody so one dimensional and so stiff can be such a good pass rusher, after the combine, I guess it chopped up to size and physical ability.