Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we building through the draft or?

Colts1324

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

But nothing is guaranteed. I think once Brady and Big Ben retire. Both franchises won't be as hard to beat. So if we want to compete in the next 3 years. We need to move fast. But smart at the same time. I might complain sometimes, but I'll trust Ballard. He knows a lot more than I do. Lol 

the whole point of this thread was not t start an argument or complain, as I like what he is doing, but to see if anyone else envisioned his plan for this team. I know he wants to creat competition. Just surprised he has been targeted to be interested in so many people. But I love it. FA and the draft are two of my favorite things to watch. 

He probably has a few things up his sleeve, but if he does, he will make sure it's the right locker-room and on-field fit, inside/outside and in-between,,, which is great.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

But nothing is guaranteed. I think once Brady and Big Ben retire. Both franchises won't be as hard to beat. So if we want to compete in the next 3 years. We need to move fast. But smart at the same time. I might complain sometimes, but I'll trust Ballard. He knows a lot more than I do. Lol 

the whole point of this thread was not t start an argument or complain, as I like what he is doing, but to see if anyone else envisioned his plan for this team. I know he wants to creat competition. Just surprised he has been targeted to be interested in so many people. But I love it. FA and the draft are two of my favorite things to watch. 

The way the pats have signed and traded this year, I think they're gearing up for either hoodies and Brady's retirement or both

7 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

oh, you mean the world where many former players wind up with permanent brain damage?  Yeah that's good for everyone!

Nothing was ever said about it until the last few years. Hell we all had concussions in high school. Nobody thought much of it LOL. Just not a fan of the direction worlds heading in. Players retiring at 28 or after their rookie year or rookie contract. I mean Calvin Johnson, Jarrod Mayo, Chris Borland, Patrick Willis, etc. List goes on and on. I didn't add Beast mode because I think he just wanted to retire and chill and I don't think he was scared of concussions.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Nothing was ever said about it until the last few years. Hell we all had concussions in high school. Nobody thought much of it LOL.

uh, that's because they didn't know about the dangerous long-lasting effects that multiple concussions could have.  players that are retiring are doing so in the best interest of their long-term health.  you wanting them to continue playing for your amusement is extraordinarily selfish

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

You literally said "we should have went all out each of the last few years..."

Now we're back to hindsight. It's one thing to say 'we should have signed different free agents.' We all agree with that. We also should have drafted better. 

The point is that, right now, we don't have the kind of roster where it makes sense to sign the free agents that were available this offseason. I wouldn't have minded a top corner, but I would have cringed at the price, given the fact that we have no pass rush (and we won't until we draft some edge rushers and get better up front). You wanted Nick Perry, but we all know he's not good enough to warrant $12m/year, especially if he's going to be the primary pass rush threat. 

Discipline is critical, and you want to disregard all discipline and just go buck wild in an effort to shortcut the process. Without a time machine, we can't change what Grigson did. But Ballard is in position to build the roster the right way, and throwing money around in free agency right now is not the right way. 

I get your point Supe. I just don't have the patience. It literally makes me sick thinking about the team we could have had.

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

uh, that's because they didn't know about the dangerous long-lasting effects that multiple concussions could have.  players that are retiring are doing so in the best interest of their long-term health.  you wanting them to continue playing for your amusement is extraordinarily selfish

Wait another 10 years. They'll be saying torn ACL's and etc is causing paralysis or something crazy. I just grew up as a jock man. It was cool to be tough, you got made fun of if you weren't, we played injured, etc.

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Why don't we just ban football then? It's obviously way more dangerous than every other sport so why even watch it/support it?

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I get your point Supe. I just don't have the patience. It literally makes me sick thinking about the team we could have had.

No it doesn't....however if by some chance it does then you should stop watching football.

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Why don't we just ban football then? It's obviously way more dangerous than every other sport so why even watch it/support it?

well that's certainly an absurd extreme to jump to.

Not just football, what about war???? That can be even more dangerous.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I just grew up as a jock man. It was cool to be tough, you got made fun of if you weren't, and we played injured, etc.

and many players with that mentality now have permanent brain damage.  that still cool?

Just now, Jason_S said:

well that's certainly an absurd extreme to jump to.

How so? I think in the near future it's going to be common knowledge to everyone and there will just have to be an agreement in place. 

You take the chance to potentially earn more money in one year than most will see in their lives but in doing so you knowingly decrease your quality of life significantly. 

How so? I think in the near future it's going to be common knowledge to everyone and there will just have to be an agreement in place. 

You take the chance to potentially earn more money in one year than most will see in their lives but in doing so you knowingly decrease your quality of life significantly. 

that pretty much is the case now.  players now know about permanent concussion damage and it's their choice to play or not.  that's why some are retiring earlier than we used to see as colts449 said.  no one forced them to retire, they chose to do so likely based on the advice of their doctors.  However they could also have decided to take the chance and keep playing. 

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

that pretty much is the case now.  players now know about permanent concussion damage and it's their choice to play or not.  that's why some are retiring earlier than we used to see as colts449 said.  no one forced them to retire, they chose to do so likely based on the advice of their doctors.  However they could also have decided to take the chance and keep playing. 

Yeah that's true. I meant more of other injuries. Like just the constant wear and tear on your ligaments, muscles, and bones. As in these dudes are going to be in wheelchairs or with permanent pains and limps. More so than in the past just because of the size differences. 

I think it'd be smart to look into HGH to help repair these people after they get injured during the season and after their careers are over. Those guys are at the limits of human bio-mechanics and their body's ability to properly heal itself from the regular (Not just headshots) beatings they take. 

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

and many players with that mentality now have permanent brain damage.  that still cool?

In society no, they want to scare people and players, and keep turning the world soft. Just like how the news media wants to scare the public in general. To me yes. If you play football you should be tough, rough, and know you have a chance to get hurt. 

Also there's a lot of sissy's out there who want to end football. We're just living in a soft world now.

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

In society no, they want to scare people and players, and keep turning the world soft. Just like how the news media wants to scare the public in general. To me yes. If you play football you should be tough, rough, and know you have a chance to get hurt. 

Also there's a lot of sissy's out there who want to end football. We're just living in a soft world now.

just want to make sure I'm understanding...you think it's cool that there are a lot of guys out there with permanent brain damage?

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

The way the world's going all sissified we probably wont even have the NFL in 4 years. Things are getting bad. Young player after young player retiring after all this concussion bull. I miss the world I grew up in 10 years ago. When a concussion wasn't really a big deal.

Wow....just wow. So having your heroes play a few more years but end up committing suicide because of it is ok....all because your enjoyment is way more important than their quality of life. I don't like to call people out on here but your posts are just ignorant. I say ignorant because I don't think you know any better...and if you do that's just sad that you still come to the conclusions you do. It starts with the free agent crap and now this but at some point someone just needs to give you a wake up call. I don't mean to come off rude but you need to take a step away from the computer and take a break friend. After that please come back and contribute..all are welcome...even the Pat fans.

This team will probably look a lot different next year than the team they fielded this year. Adding 2 starters in FA, and 2 or 3 in a good draft, players like Anderson, Geathers and Davis returning (and healthy) and guys like Edwin Jackson and Green having experience can make a dramatic difference. Then again, injuries could delay any hopes of turning it around in a year. Nobody knows at this point and it will take everything falling into place, including FA, draft and improvement/ availability from players that were on the team last year. I don't agree that we are 3-4 years away from winning it all. If Ballard can put together a defense that is in the top half of the league this year, the Colts are closer than some think. 

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow....just wow. So having your heroes play a few more years but end up committing suicide because of it is ok....all because your enjoyment is way more important than their quality of life. I don't like to call people out on here but your posts are just ignorant. I say ignorant because I don't think you know any better...and if you do that's just sad that you still come to the conclusions you do. It starts with the free agent crap and now this but at some point someone just needs to give you a wake up call. I don't mean to come off rude but you need to take a step away from the computer and take a break friend. After that please come back and contribute..all are welcome...even the Pat fans.

First up. Yes this is going to get people mad, but we don't even really know CTE really exists.

Does CTE, The Brain Disease Found In NFL Players, Really Exist? A new study found cognitively impaired former football players aren't much different from non-players with cognitive impairments. ... The problem is, some scientists still doubt whether or not the disease even exists

Man I grew up in Kentucky. I mean it was and still is cool to be the tough guy, the guy who plays through an injury, etc. None of this concussion stuff was ever mentioned until recently. I mean like I said, back when I was in HS 10 years ago nobody thought much of a concussion. Like I said, a player has to know the risk of being injured and accept it. You have to love the game. People are making you think everybody who plays football will end up with this CTE when that's just a lie.

And to the bolded.....That's like the people who were blaming Columbine on Marilyn Manson

Permanent brain damage is a media myth, and something experienced by a vast minority of players. Of all the dangerous professions (construction worker, roofer, law enforcement, etc), football is one of the least.

I agree with Colts449.

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Like I said just like the news media. Ebola, The Bird flu, Mad cow disease, the swine flu, west nile virus, etc. Yep. Its all going to have us in FEMA camps as it spreads across the world lmao .

Our media is very very over-sensational I agree. But football is dangerous and the ill effects of it should be studied and exposed. 

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

First up. Yes this is going to get people mad, but we don't even really know CTE really exists.

Does CTE, The Brain Disease Found In NFL Players, Really Exist? A new study found cognitively impaired former football players aren't much different from non-players with cognitive impairments. ... The problem is, some scientists still doubt whether or not the disease even exists

Man I grew up in Kentucky. I mean it was and still is cool to be the tough guy, the guy who plays through an injury, etc. None of this concussion stuff was ever mentioned until recently. I mean like I said, back when I was in HS 10 years ago nobody thought much of a concussion. Like I said, a player has to know the risk of being injured and accept it. You have to love the game. People are making you think everybody who plays football will end up with CTE when that's just a lie.

And to the bolded.....That's like the people who were blaming Columbine on Marilyn Manson

I'm not going to take your bait. I don't want to derail the thread. A lot of us are from the Midwest and played football and told to walk it off...or rub some dirt into it. My cousin recently experienced a concussion and still can't taste food months later and gets migraines. It isn't trivial even if it can't be proven to cause the CTE issues.

Nobody wants to get rid of football but if these guys make a decision to end their careers short because of the concern and for their families...good for them. I mean we watch guys like Mike Ditka and others that can barely walk they've had so many surgeries. Their decisions are their own and I'm not going to begrudge anyone if they want to walk away. More power to them. If Luck walks away next year fine by me. Football is just entertainment...its just a game and their lives are more important than my Sunday afternoon. I'm just here to say you are not doing yourself any favors with the wild claims and assertions you are making on here about any number of topics. If you want to be taken seriously I think you should step back and take a deep breathe and reevaluate. I'm just going to leave it at that.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Denver signed Ware, Ward, and Talib. Plus Sanders what? The year before they signed those guys? I cant remember exactly.

Seattle signed Bennett and Avril

And yes those 2 teams had better players on D they we could ever dream of, but still. Signing good FA's to go with good drafts would have us over the top by now.

In the end It really doesn't matter what other teams do. It's different from team to team. A team can win a SB after going all in, in FA, or a team could win without, but IMO bringing in big time ballers through FA would give us a much better chance, and when you have 12 and holes everywhere I think its dumb to not try and fill those holes and compete from day 1.

Grigson screwed the team up by his terrible drafts, trades, signings, etc.

i agree

i concur

1 minute ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i concur

Serious question and I mean no disrespect but just genuine curiousity: But how old are you? 

I'm 21 and I see you've been a football fan since 1953 which has got to be a record on this forum. I became a fan when I was about 6 and I imagine you probably did around that age as well. 

the guy that picks  talent has to have the ability to judge talent, where ever  we get them from the draft or free agency, it is just a lot harder to know how a draft pick will turn out, and it takes too long to find out if they can play. how many first round picks are out of football in 3 years? 

2 hours ago, deedub75 said:

At least the players being brought in are relatively young and Ballard may believe that some of them may improve and become fixtures on the team.  Unfortunately, I don't see Pagano as a coach that can take mediocre players to the next level. 

Yes, young players with something yet to prove. That's good in a way. We'll see if this approach works out. Based on who has signed I think we have not taken a step back compared to who we lost. The one player I am watching is Butler. I think it would be wise to bring him back. He can help this team.

22 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Serious question and I mean no disrespect but just genuine curiousity: But how old are you? 

I'm 21 and I see you've been a football fan since 1953 which has got to be a record on this forum. I became a fan when I was about 6 and I imagine you probably did around that age as well. 

i will be 73 on may 21, i lived in maryland in 1953 when my father took me to a colts game and i have been a colts fan ever since. i have lived in several cities which had teams st louis during the coryell years which had the best o-line i ever saw, finny, banks dobler young and dierdorf, new york when they won it with parcells, tampa bay doug williams was qb in 1981, i rooted for those teams but i was always a colts fan first because that was my first team

2 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

You're only 21 Gabriel??? Wow. You've been a very insightful poster on here for years. So that really shocks me you're that young bro. I'm 27