Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Margus Hunt 2 year deal

Case

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I POSTED THIS IN A FORUM EARLIER TODAY AND GOT A 90% AGREE RESPONSE WISE........................Wayyyyy to go Mike Francesca !!!!! He just made a comment ( and he IS NO FAN of Belichick or the New England Patriots ) but he told his listeners that he has a general statement to make about whats happened in NFL last 2 weeks. And the comment was that the rest of the NFL Front Offices better wake up !!!!!!.......Because Belichick and the Pats are leaving them in the dust......And as I am typing this fans are calling in and agreeing with him......They sign some stars everybody else signs backups ( a response I got a lot).

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

I POSTED THIS IN A FORUM EARLIER TODAY AND GOT A 90% AGREE RESPONSE WISE........................Wayyyyy to go Mike Francesca !!!!! He just made a comment ( and he IS NO FAN of Belichick or the New England Patriots ) but he told his listeners that he has a general statement to make about whats happened in NFL last 2 weeks. And the comment was that the rest of the NFL Front Offices better wake up !!!!!!.......Because Belichick and the Pats are leaving them in the dust......And as I am typing this fans are calling in and agreeing with him.

They are very active but Belichick and Brady make that train run, without them the train would stall. Brady has the system down perfectly. They were the best team anyway and will be Great until either 1 or both retire. After they retire that team will be like most teams, inconsistent. I see them having 2, maybe 3 years left to dominate and even now with Brady's age he will have to start to defying some odds. I think they will Repeat and we just have to put up with it for now unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We should have went into FA like there's no tomorrow. Since Supe doesn't want me saying we need to bring in this one or that one I wont, but we best do something to get to 10-6 or 11-5 next year. Who cares about 3-4 years from now???? Go all in, in FA, draft like a boss, and we have no worries about the cap in a few years anyways.

What teams that were built by 'going all in in free agency' had even moderate postseason success, let alone sustained success? 

We have too many holes to go all in in free agency right now.

12 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

I POSTED THIS IN A FORUM EARLIER TODAY AND GOT A 90% AGREE RESPONSE WISE........................Wayyyyy to go Mike Francesca !!!!! He just made a comment ( and he IS NO FAN of Belichick or the New England Patriots ) but he told his listeners that he has a general statement to make about whats happened in NFL last 2 weeks. And the comment was that the rest of the NFL Front Offices better wake up !!!!!!.......Because Belichick and the Pats are leaving them in the dust......And as I am typing this fans are calling in and agreeing with him......They sign some stars everybody else signs backups ( a response I got a lot).

If we had a near championship caliber roster, a 40 year old HOF QB, the best coach of all time, and were gearing up for one last hurrah, then I'm sure we'd be sacrificing picks for ready made players and giving out $70m contracts. 

2 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

The guy was awful last year in a contract year that was also expected to be his breakout year. Let's hope he turns it around with us. It's very clear that Ballard is challenging our incumbents with guys who never filled their potential yet could still spark with us. I'm not excited about the signing but I'm also not negatively affected by it. Meh for me, not that anyone cares what I think 

I think Ballard is beginning to be simply wasting Irsay's money.  The only signing that has potential is the Sheard signing, and Ballard ponied-up for that one.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Man you're trippin. I never guaranteed anything other than we'd bring in some big name players. It was the only logical thing to do, and I still we'll sign a Poe/Hankins/Hightower/Brown, etc

You need to own it dude.    You guaranteed. There is no denying it.    

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Maybe defensive end role. Does this mean Art Jones is gone???

I'm assuming Art Jones will rotate with Parry at NT.

We might draft a big-heavy in the 4th, but he won't start as a rookie, so we'll need Jones for one more season..  

2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Oh yeah

Love this signing :)

Hunt grew up in the small town Karksi-Nuia and took up athletics because "there wasn’t much to do". After trying decathlon he decided to concentrate on the throwing events – discus, shot and hammer throw. Hunt started training with Aleksander Tammert, an Olympic bronze medalist in discus throw from the 2004 Summer Olympics. Hunt competed in hammer throw at the 2003 World Youth Championships and discus at the 2004 World Junior Championships, placing eighth and sixth respectively.

In 2005, he won his first title at the European Junior Championships in Kaunas, throwing 62.19 metres with the 1.75 kg discus.

In 2006, at the World Junior Championships in Beijing Hunt established a new world junior record of 66.35 metres in his first throw on the qualifying round. At the final competition Hunt improved his own world junior record to 66.68 m in the fourth round and then 67.32 m in the sixth and final round. His gold medal was the first World Junior gold medal for Estonia.[citation needed]

Three days later he won the gold medal in the shot put by 20.53 metres in the final, beating the closest competitor by 39 centimetres. Hunt became the first athlete to win the gold medal both in shot and discus at the World Junior Championships, outperforming Rutger Smith of the Netherlands who won a gold and a bronze in 2000. His winning distance of 20.53 m was a national junior record with the 6 kg shot.

His personal best hammer throw result is 64.89 made on 28 March 2008 in Arlington, Texas.[2][3] His personal best shot put result is 17.98 made on 22 March 2008 in Waco

Love the signing but only lost track and field accomplishments?

Hunt was Meh with the Bengals, but I wouldn't throw this one away yet.  He may turn out to be a better fit in this scheme.  I'm going to be optimistic about this one and see what they can do with him.   He's got some good ability as a run stuffer and a pass rusher.   We'll see on this one. 

6 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Oh yeah

Hunt grew up in the small town Karksi-Nuia and took up athletics because "there wasn’t much to do". After trying decathlon he decided to concentrate on the throwing events – discus, shot and hammer throw. Hunt started training with Aleksander Tammert, an Olympic bronze medalist in discus throw from the 2004 Summer Olympics. Hunt competed in hammer throw at the 2003 World Youth Championships and discus at the 2004 World Junior Championships, placing eighth and sixth respectively.

In 2005, he won his first title at the European Junior Championships in Kaunas, throwing 62.19 metres with the 1.75 kg discus.

In 2006, at the World Junior Championships in Beijing Hunt established a new world junior record of 66.35 metres in his first throw on the qualifying round. At the final competition Hunt improved his own world junior record to 66.68 m in the fourth round and then 67.32 m in the sixth and final round. His gold medal was the first World Junior gold medal for Estonia.[citation needed]

Three days later he won the gold medal in the shot put by 20.53 metres in the final, beating the closest competitor by 39 centimetres. Hunt became the first athlete to win the gold medal both in shot and discus at the World Junior Championships, outperforming Rutger Smith of the Netherlands who won a gold and a bronze in 2000. His winning distance of 20.53 m was a national junior record with the 6 kg shot.

His personal best hammer throw result is 64.89 made on 28 March 2008 in Arlington, Texas.[2][3] His personal best shot put result is 17.98 made on 22 March 2008 in Waco

Does this mean he`ll make the roster and have an impact? You Europeans don`t know American football do you? Lol 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding the Hunt signing, this is a wait and see type of signing much like Mingo. All the other signings Ballard has made makes sense and are good. Simon and Sheard = Good, re-signing of Doyle and Turbin = Good.

It really is as simple as that.

I guess the key question at this point is: Is he better than Kerr which I'm assuming he is replacing?

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Big problem, IMO. They cut Robinson, but kept Rashaan Melvin. I don't see where they've even talked to any FA DBs. 

I would think that the plan is to draft two CB's, one of them in round 1 or 2. I'm more concerned about Safety. If the draft isn't deep at Safety, then I don't think Ballard will go that way.

What are your thoughts on Safety in the draft and FA, sup? What would you do?

8 hours ago, HOF19 said:

You need some work if you think you're gonna make the HOF (of posting)

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Hunt was Meh with the Bengals, but I wouldn't throw this one away yet.  He may turn out to be a better fit in this scheme.  I'm going to be optimistic about this one and see what they can do with him.   He's got some good ability as a run stuffer and a pass rusher.   We'll see on this one. 

I wanted him bad in the draft, the guy was really raw..Now he is experienced and could really break out this year.He is a physical speciman, height,  wait, speed..He could really break out this year for the Colts at DE...So far in free agency we have gotten much younger , bigger , and fast...If we snag RB and edge or cb in 1st 3 rounds our d will be nasty. ..Hopefully we sign a NT and Brown or Hightower too before draft...Would also try and trade for Josh Gordan or Martavious Bryant they can be had for a late round pick and Gordan may be cut, either one would make our passing attack unstoppable. ..

All Ballard is doing is getting guys in the building that have something to prove. These guys may or may not be ready for the next step but Ballard is making sure that their is competition at all positions. 

No more old vets who know their spot is guaranteed. These guys are going to have to bring it. This is what we need!!!!!

12 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Oh yeah

Competition.....

Looks like he was signed to push Andrew Luck. He must have a cannon for an arm! :excited:

Hope Luck is ready for this challenge!!

12 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

If hes learning the game, then lets use him where he can do something good.

Hes not the best D-line man, so lets use him protecting Luck instead.

wth:omg:

Luck needs quality protection. Not experiments in front of him that will put him on the IR.  We complained about protecting our franchise QB and you think this guy is a safe, quality option?

If Luck saw this guy in front of him he should exercise his Trade Option and get the FUNK outta Dodge!

This appears to be a depth signing and he is actually decent against the run....at 6'8" he better be in on opponents XP and FG attempts, lol!  When you consider the D'line rotation from last year, depth is needed.

Parry- will at least be suspended for some games to begin the season.

Langford- season ending injury and 32(?) next season.

Anderson- didn't look 100% from the 2015 season ending inhury and off season surgery.

Jones- not reliable due to health and PEDS.

Ridgeway- showed promise in the second half of the season last year.

TY McGill- in the dog house most of the sesason.

Kerr- gone.

While trying to find his contract details, I ran across this write up of the deal and a mention of Minter?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792911/article/colts-snag-de-margus-hunt-with-twoyear-deal

11 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

He's coming from a 4-3 scheme....I don't see him playing a big role in this defense 

What was the defense at SMU where he went to college? Maybe he has been in the wrong scheme with Cincy and is a better fit as a 3-4 DE.

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Definitely not. I'd guess no more than $250K. 

Dunno about that one. His vet minimum salary is 775K. I know your not jumping up and down with this deal but you have to imagine a deal that would make sense for Hunt to sign. I would think it's around a million in guaranteed money. I also think he's a little better than you are giving him credit for . Not by a lot but by a little.

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

Maybe defensive end role. Does this mean Art Jones is gone???

He is probably like Pernell McPhee was for the Ravens a while ago, a situational DE that was good in small bursts. 

If you had taken 3-4 minutes to research him you would know that isn`t the case.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Meh....can't all be winners. Just keeping players on their toes...good camp guy to force people to compete cause you know he will.

Pretty much. We need some 1 yr guys as part of our rebuild.
  He could play a roll. Take a look at him as a 3-4 DE in our system.  lol
 http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/bengals/margus-hunt-showed-jets/

27 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pretty much. We need some 1 yr guys as part of our rebuild.
  He could play a roll. Take a look at him as a 3-4 DE in our system.  lol
 http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/bengals/margus-hunt-showed-jets/

Didn't he get a two year contract? Maybe its all up front and there is no guarantee in the second don't know the structure. That part surprises me but adding guys like Margus doesn't because he is hard worker and a guy that competes every down even if hasn't quite mastered it yet.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

If you had taken 3-4 minutes to research him you would know that isn`t the case.

If you had taken 3-4 minutes to research what I followed up that post with several posts later, you'd probably realize that I was in agreement with you on the talent level. I was talking role all along, role of 3-4 DE like McPhee, not talent level.

9 hours ago, Mr Clueless said:

I would think that the plan is to draft two CB's, one of them in round 1 or 2. I'm more concerned about Safety. If the draft isn't deep at Safety, then I don't think Ballard will go that way.

What are your thoughts on Safety in the draft and FA, sup? What would you do?

I'd rather go with Green and Geathers than sign a FA safety at this point. But I do think DB is deep in the draft, safety and corner. We'll have to see how the board falls. 

7 hours ago, Dr. T said:

What was the defense at SMU where he went to college? Maybe he has been in the wrong scheme with Cincy and is a better fit as a 3-4 DE.

I agree with this I think Hunts length makes him a better good candidate to be a solid 3/4 end, better than the 4/3 end Cinn. was trying to make him. I like the signing weird I had a feeling the Colts might make a run at him. Hopefully hes signed to a friendly contract & contributes. I think he will. He was pretty solid in college was hoping the Colts drafted him.