Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Margus Hunt 2 year deal

Case

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a feeling we would do this. LOL

We definitely have a particular type of player we are targeting. Second contract players who we can sign at a reasonable price. Ballard's deals seem to be relatively small risks and big rewards.

I am pretty sure we all know this from Hard Knocks, but just in case:

Height: 6-8   Weight: 295   Age: 29

Born: 7/14/1987 Karksi-Nuia , Estonia

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Maybe defensive end role. Does this mean Art Jones is gone???

He is probably like Pernell McPhee was for the Ravens a while ago, a situational DE that was good in small bursts. 

I'm going to have to disagree with you there... McPhee had been in the league 4-5 years had 64 tackles (double hunts) and 17 sacks to hunts 1.5... this dude is primed for the last round of roster cuts.

The guy was awful last year in a contract year that was also expected to be his breakout year. Let's hope he turns it around with us. It's very clear that Ballard is challenging our incumbents with guys who never filled their potential yet could still spark with us. I'm not excited about the signing but I'm also not negatively affected by it. Meh for me, not that anyone cares what I think 

Oh yeah

Love this signing :)

Hunt grew up in the small town Karksi-Nuia and took up athletics because "there wasn’t much to do". After trying decathlon he decided to concentrate on the throwing events – discus, shot and hammer throw. Hunt started training with Aleksander Tammert, an Olympic bronze medalist in discus throw from the 2004 Summer Olympics. Hunt competed in hammer throw at the 2003 World Youth Championships and discus at the 2004 World Junior Championships, placing eighth and sixth respectively.

In 2005, he won his first title at the European Junior Championships in Kaunas, throwing 62.19 metres with the 1.75 kg discus.

In 2006, at the World Junior Championships in Beijing Hunt established a new world junior record of 66.35 metres in his first throw on the qualifying round. At the final competition Hunt improved his own world junior record to 66.68 m in the fourth round and then 67.32 m in the sixth and final round. His gold medal was the first World Junior gold medal for Estonia.[citation needed]

Three days later he won the gold medal in the shot put by 20.53 metres in the final, beating the closest competitor by 39 centimetres. Hunt became the first athlete to win the gold medal both in shot and discus at the World Junior Championships, outperforming Rutger Smith of the Netherlands who won a gold and a bronze in 2000. His winning distance of 20.53 m was a national junior record with the 6 kg shot.

His personal best hammer throw result is 64.89 made on 28 March 2008 in Arlington, Texas.[2][3] His personal best shot put result is 17.98 made on 22 March 2008 in Waco

6 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you there... McPhee had been in the league 4-5 years had 64 tackles (double hunts) and 17 sacks to hunts 1.5... this dude is primed for the last round of roster cuts.

Sorry, I was not talking talent wise, just role wise. :)

Talent wise, I agree, it is not even close. 

We will see how he does on the field. Bengals do play 4 man fronts, so not sure how he transitions from playing all those years in a 4-3. Maybe Ballard scouted him for a 3-4 while at KC??? 

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I had a feeling we would do this. LOL

We definitely have a particular type of player we are targeting. Second contract players who we can sign at a reasonable price. 

I am pretty sure we all know this from Hard Knocks, but just in case:

Height: 6-8   Weight: 295   Age: 29

Born: 7/14/1987 Karksi-Nuia , Estonia

was ballard involved in a previous hard knocks?  btw, when are they going to announce?

2 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Oh yeah

Love this signing :)

Hunt grew up in the small town Karksi-Nuia and took up athletics because "there wasn’t much to do". After trying decathlon he decided to concentrate on the throwing events – discus, shot and hammer throw. Hunt started training with Aleksander Tammert, an Olympic bronze medalist in discus throw from the 2004 Summer Olympics. Hunt competed in hammer throw at the 2003 World Youth Championships and discus at the 2004 World Junior Championships, placing eighth and sixth respectively.

In 2005, he won his first title at the European Junior Championships in Kaunas, throwing 62.19 metres with the 1.75 kg discus.

In 2006, at the World Junior Championships in Beijing Hunt established a new world junior record of 66.35 metres in his first throw on the qualifying round. At the final competition Hunt improved his own world junior record to 66.68 m in the fourth round and then 67.32 m in the sixth and final round. His gold medal was the first World Junior gold medal for Estonia.[citation needed]

Three days later he won the gold medal in the shot put by 20.53 metres in the final, beating the closest competitor by 39 centimetres. Hunt became the first athlete to win the gold medal both in shot and discus at the World Junior Championships, outperforming Rutger Smith of the Netherlands who won a gold and a bronze in 2000. His winning distance of 20.53 m was a national junior record with the 6 kg shot.

His personal best hammer throw result is 64.89 made on 28 March 2008 in Arlington, Texas.[2][3] His personal best shot put result is 17.98 made on 22 March 2008 in Waco

None of that acuates to talent on the football field of which he has shown very little.  

It seems at times like he's still learning the game. The contract shouldn't be too high for him because he is really a situational player period but he is one the strongest guys ever the National Football League with 38 bench presses at the combine when he left SMU

Just now, indyagent17 said:

It seems at times like he's still learning the game. The contract shouldn't be too high for him because he is really a situational player period but he is one the strongest guys ever the National Football League with 38 bench presses at the combine when he left SMU

He is learning the game

Just now, ThorstenDenmark said:

Does anyone think Ballard have seen the movie moneyball ?

By the looks of all the signings so far, it have been players who have not yet proven that they are full time starters in the league.

Grigson did a lot of this too, the bargain bin approach. It worked with Mike Adams and Erik Swoope, swung and missed with Adongo and others. Only time will tell us if it will work.

We all liked Grigson too in 2012. :) 

Every new GM is the greatest thing since sliced bread like the hyped draft pick coming out of college. However, Ballard's resume is a little more solid than Grigson's was, coming in, I won't deny that. Just want to stay on the fence for now. 

Was a backup for the Bengals, and I suppose his role will be similar with the Colts. He'll get to compete on the defensive line for sure, but I think he'll find it difficult to be a starter. That's good enough though, as I expect the Colts to get a quality defensive lineman in the upcoming draft,

8 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I think he will make the team. We signed him to a two year deal and I bet about 2 million a year. He is better depth than some of the guys we had playing DE last year. He is long and with some coaching up, hopefully can become a good back up to Anderson. 

4 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

was ballard involved in a previous hard knocks?  btw, when are they going to announce?

I don't think so. He was with the Bears and then Chiefs.

2001 Baltimore Ravens
2002 Dallas Cowboys
Kansas City Chiefs
2008 Dallas Cowboys
Cincinnati Bengals
2010 New York Jets
2012 Miami Dolphins
2013 Cincinnati Bengals
2014 Atlanta Falcons
2015 Houston Texans
2016 Los Angeles Rams
2017 ?

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

He'll be 30 at the start of the season. I didn't know that, he's only going into Year 5 in the NFL. 

But a young 30 , not a lot of wear and tear ? Anyway I would bet not a whole lot of guaranteed money in this deal.