Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict The Future

21isSuperman

Peyton Manning comes back healthy and leads the Colts to a 11-5 record, a Super Bowl win vs the Detroit Lions, winning comeback player of the year, his 5th MVP award and 2nd Super Bowl MVP award...he then retires (on his own terms) and Andrew Luck is the starter the next season, with the Colts falling to 8-8 but then rebound to 10-6 in his 2nd season as starter

Here's a more broad question:

The NFL used to be a run first, pass second league. Today, it is opposite; teams are going pass first. What will it be in 20 or 30 years?

As long as Goodell is commish defenses will be forced to be softer and softer, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of the running back all together, and every play will be a pass play.

I think it'll be interesting to see what some of you guys think will be the future of the NFL. Give me one or two lines as to what you think will happen in any aspect of the NFL. For example, you could say something like "Lions-Falcons becomes the next great rivalry". Give me anything you got.

Hm...I'll go with Matt Ryan wins a Super Bowl

I'm going with Stafford/Rodgers

Here's a more broad question:

The NFL used to be a run first, pass second league. Today, it is opposite; teams are going pass first. What will it be in 20 or 30 years?

The Colts took the old Chargers "Air Coryell" model and moved it into the modern game, it will continue to evolve with the run game falling to very short yardage/goal line usage and when D backs need to get more flexible in their coverage. It will always be a tool but the air game is where the NFL is heading.

The Colts took the old Chargers "Air Coryell" model and moved it into the modern game, it will continue to evolve with the run game falling to very short yardage/goal line usage and when D backs need to get more flexible in their coverage. It will always be a tool but the air game is where the NFL is heading.

So what happens after? Does the running game make a comeback? Teams will be using so many DBs to defend all the pass-happy schemes, that some offense will bring out a RB to catch the defense off guard? What would that do for defenses? Would we see packages with 2 down linemen? In that case, does the O-line change to 4 players so the offense can have another weapon on the field?

So what happens after? Does the running game make a comeback? Teams will be using so many DBs to defend all the pass-happy schemes, that some offense will bring out a RB to catch the defense off guard? What would that do for defenses? Would we see packages with 2 down linemen? In that case, does the O-line change to 4 players so the offense can have another weapon on the field?

The running game will never disappear, like we both said only passing leads to predictability and 3 and out. In my lay opinion it will settle into a mix of 65-75% passing and the run game the rest of the time. The defensive schemes will modify as will the rules in keeping with the new offenses and the new problems that will arise. I don't think the ground game will ever be like it once was.

The running game will never disappear, like we both said only passing leads to predictability and 3 and out. In my lay opinion it will settle into a mix of 65-75% passing and the run game the rest of the time. The defensive schemes will modify as will the rules in keeping with the new offenses and the new problems that will arise. I don't think the ground game will ever be like it once was.

Say an offense passes 65-75% of the time. The defense will consistently be in nickel and dime defenses. Then, won't an offense switch to run heavy formations to take advantage of the smaller DBs? It's like a pendulum, going from run-heavy to pass-heavy to run-heavy, etc. But that's in-game, not throughout multiple seasons

Say an offense passes 65-75% of the time. The defense will consistently be in nickel and dime defenses. Then, won't an offense switch to run heavy formations to take advantage of the smaller DBs? It's like a pendulum, going from run-heavy to pass-heavy to run-heavy, etc. But that's in-game, not throughout multiple seasons

Exactly, one running play out of 4 will keep the defenses in loose enough coverage for audibles at the line allowing for both the long ball and the short gain with a run. Either way the pass offense allows more flexibility than the "grind it out on the ground" game of the past....as long as there is still a decent running back to go to.

Exactly, one running play out of 4 will keep the defenses in loose enough coverage for audibles at the line allowing for both the long ball and the short gain with a run. Either way the pass offense allows more flexibility than the "grind it out on the ground" game of the past....as long as there is still a decent running back to go to.

So do you think there will be a push towards getting smaller, faster players who are more suited to the passing game on offense and defense?

The Colts tried that and while it worked when they used short passing like the old running game, they are going for wide bodies and size from what I read so I suppose each team will tailor their offensive linemen to the style of game the quarterback is running. I'll never consider myself an expert on many things football I just remember what I see and try to make sense of it all.