Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts meeting with ILB Kevin Minter (Merge)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am cool with Minter...as long as Brown is also coming. If the Colts sign Minter and Brown signs elsewhere for something similar, I am going to be very disappointed.

Brown is far more athletic, has more production and is better in pass coverage. He is exactly what this team needs. 

Just now, LJpalmbeacher said:

Honestly, don't know about him.

Why don't the Cards want him back?

PFF has him rated as 25th bast LB last season.

He was good in coverage in 2016, but terrible every year before. Either it finally clicked for him or it was an outlying season. The fact that arizona is steering clear of him worries me on that front. He also had 20 missed tackles last season.

All in all, I think there are better options out there (Hightower, Brown, Hodges) but overall he isnt a terrible prospect. 

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Honestly, don't know about him.

Why don't the Cards want him back?

PFF has him rated as 25th bast LB last season.

Because he is a bit undersized but not very athletic. He will be an upgrade over what we have, but he is still a liability in pass coverage and struggle in run defense at times. I am not overly excited about him. Seems a lot like a rich man's Edwin Jackson (or a poor man's DJax if you prefer).

He is an improvement over the status quo, sure, but not a move that drastically improves the defense. Now, if you paired him with Zach Brown...then we would be getting somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

He was good in coverage in 2016, but terrible every year before. Either it finally clicked for him or it was an outlying season. The fact that arizona is steering clear of him worries me on that front. He also had 20 missed tackles last season.

All in all, I think there are better options out there (Hightower, Brown, Hodges) but overall he isnt a terrible prospect. 

Agree. Unlike the OLB FAs, the ILB FA group is deep...and all of them are still available...which means they might be undervalued. No need to sign a lesser FA like Minter until they know they can't get Brown or Hightower. 

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Because he is a bit undersized but not very athletic. He will be an upgrade over what we have, but he is still a liability in pass coverage and struggle in run defense at times. I am not overly excited about him. Seems a lot like a rich man's Edwin Jackson (or a poor man's DJax if you prefer).

He is an improvement over the status quo, sure, but not a move that drastically improves the defense. Now, if you paired him with Zach Brown...then we would be getting somewhere. 

Doesn't sound like he was a liability in pass coverage last season.

2 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I like Zach Brown better I liked brown last year in FA but we never even looked at him.

I wanted Brown bad last year. An ILB that ran a 4.5 40 and can cover the pass. Everybody's drooling over Reddick in the draft...that's basically what Brown is (aside from pass rushing).

1 minute ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Doesn't sound like he was a liability in pass coverage last season.

I take what PFF says with a grain of salt. He was better than he had been before, but it's not his strength...and the Colts need someone that can excel in this area. 

Some thoughts by Cardinal fans.
 He sounds like DQ.

therealoriginalFitzIsMyHero
3 days ago

Hes a good tackler. He really struggles in pass coverage. He struggled at blitzing up until garbage time this last season when we were no longer in contention for the post season. He has quite a way to go in his game. He might be a good 2nd stringer ILB at best! He can't shed blocks or push blocks into the running lanes to blow up running plays. Let me know if he starts for another team. I'd be really surprised.

Ford Williams 3 days ago

I was surprised when the Cards drafted him and he didn't start. He was like a deer in the headlights trying to fill Larry Foote's shoes. How many times did we hear that the tight end is not defended down seam? How many times did running backs break free for 30 yards right through his area of responsibility. I just wish the Cards could have drafted a linebacker for depth last year.

•  

Would be great to land hm....just keep checking boxes Chris! He isn't going to be a pro bowler but he can command the defense and allow us to groom a rookie. Definitely better in coverage than either the two we have right now. Arizona is cap strapped...they had to make decisions on who to keep and who to let go. With a deep lb draft this year they elected to replace through the draft or a lesser FA. He isn't Zack Brown but I think he is LB that is getting better (putting it together). Seems like LSU guys come into the league a little more raw then say the Alabama guys but man they have all the same athleticism etc. This would be another step in allowing Ballard to go BPA in RD 1. Checking boxes.

1 minute ago, BlueCollarColts said:

For those saying last season may have been an outlier, he just turned 26, so hopefully he's just improved his game versus where he was at when he was 23/24.

Also, I love the trend from Ballard, he's going after the young guys for sure.

kind of comical if you think about it.  going from one of the oldest to one of the youngest in a single off season.

10 minutes ago, Douzer said:

6'. 246. MLB for Arizona. 

2nd rd pick in 2013 out of LSU

Is that the guy? 

Fixed, but yes that's the guy. 

He's supposed to be better in coverage, but has a tendency to miss tackles. 

^which I guess is better than our LB's who couldn't cover and got swallowed up by blocks^