Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poe leaves Jaxx without a deal...

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Im guessing it will come down to Colts and falcons. Falcons may be hard to beat.. :angry: coming off SB and playing 3-4 as well. 50/50 tho, so you're telling me there's a chance :thmup:

Im pretty sure the Falcons run a 4-3 defense. Their head coach came from Seattle who has always run a 4-3. Poe would fit Indy's system perfectly and he already knows Ballard. 

20 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It seems like he is weighing his options before signing

Agree. . . Jags have enough cap space that they could put a better money offer on the table then anyone but the Browns.

Will be hard to know where we stand until he actually signs with someone.  

I understand Poe has back problems and maybe looking for the $$ and the defense that can help take the load off of his back a little bit. With how deprived Indy is on the defensive side of the ball, it could effect his decision. I know it would mine. If we don't sign Poe it's not the end of the world. But regardless of his back problems, having him here would help our line out a lot. This off season has been exciting and will continue to be so into the draft! Hoping to see a large improvement from our defense this season! 

It will be interesting to see if he takes a 1 year deal and bets on himself when we were rumored to be the only one offering him a long term deal. That's very risky. He must assume he would ball out and then earn more on a long term deal next year but its equally likely he either gets hurt or doesn't play as well as he hopes. That takes some real stones to turn down guaranteed money. Of course we don't know if CB completely low-balled him either.

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I understand Poe has back problems and maybe looking for the $$ and the defense that can help take the load off of his back a little bit. With how deprived Indy is on the defensive side of the ball, it could effect his decision. I know it would mine. If we don't sign Poe it's not the end of the world. But regardless of his back problems, having him here would help our line out a lot. This off season has been exciting and will continue to be so into the draft! Hoping to see a large improvement from our defense this season! 

If what we're reading is true (and we should know better than to believe anything right now) he wants a one year deal.  The Colts want to sign him to a long term contract.  The idea is that he wants to prove he's healthy and performs well enough to get a bigger contract next year.

None of that makes sense to me.  If I were a player with injury history, I'd want the long term contract now.

4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Let's be honest, he's smart in hearing from all parties interested. If I were in his situation, I would be doing the same thing. I still think we have the best shot at getting him do to us having Chris Ballard

I like smart players.  He may not be interested purely in the highest dollar offer either.

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If what we're reading is true (and we should know better than to believe anything right now) he wants a one year deal.  The Colts want to sign him to a long term contract.  The idea is that he wants to prove he's healthy and performs well enough to get a bigger contract next year.

None of that makes sense to me.  If I were a player with injury history, I'd want the long term contract now.

unless he and his doctors are confident the issue has healed and will not return.

Falcons' cap space isn't very deep though, they only have about 20mil, and they'll need 8-10mil for the draft. Don't see him being a Falcon to be honest, that and they run a 4-3 system which doesn't suit Dontari Poe. 

I think Indy are still well in the race to sign him, probably favorites.

34 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Josina Anderson said his meeting with Indy went 'well'. He's obviously interested in meeting every team though, and wants to weigh his options. I don't think you can definitely say he's gonna sign with this team or that.

Thanks for that.  I have always thought her a football genius. LOL   :^)

15 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Falcons' cap space isn't very deep though, they only have about 20mil, and they'll need 8-10mil for the draft. Don't see him being a Falcon to be honest, that and they run a 4-3 system which doesn't suit Dontari Poe. 

I think Indy are still well in the race to sign him, probably favorites.

I wouldn't say favorites. . . it depends on what he wants.  

Jags have got the cash.  Falcons made the SB last year.  

I'm really split on Poe, to me it's a 50/50 gamble if we sign him. He's clearly not been the same player at all the last few seasons. And back injuries are nothing to mess around with, often times very hard to ever fully recover from and you generally end up having re occurring issues. Plus with our history of injured players I'm not too confident he'd come here and stay healthy too long. I really think going after Hankins or Logan either of who could probably be just as good for us and not be the injury risk that Poe is. Plus we could probably lock them up on a longer deal and at a cheaper price than Poe. I mean if we do sign him, I won't complain, we need a NT badly, but I'm not gonna get too excited about him either untill I see him on the field being effective and staying healthy.

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I wouldn't say favorites. . . it depends on what he wants.  

Jags have got the cash.  Falcons made the SB last year.  

Falcons only have 20 mil cap and they still have to extend freeman. 

47 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He must have faith in his ability to ball out in year one, therefore garnering more money next season. 

13 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

I'm really split on Poe, to me it's a 50/50 gamble if we sign him. He's clearly not been the same player at all the last few seasons. And back injuries are nothing to mess around with, often times very hard to ever fully recover from and you generally end up having re occurring issues. Plus with our history of injured players I'm not too confident he'd come here and stay healthy too long. I really think going after Hankins or Logan either of who could probably be just as good for us and not be the injury risk that Poe is. Plus we could probably lock them up on a longer deal and at a cheaper price than Poe. I mean if we do sign him, I won't complain, we need a NT badly, but I'm not gonna get too excited about him either untill I see him on the field being effective and staying healthy.

Someone else posted in another thread that we could possibly sign Hankins and Logan for less than Poe.   If so that would be a great idea IMO.  Need that depth 

53 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Let's be honest, he's smart in hearing from all parties interested. If I were in his situation, I would be doing the same thing. I still think we have the best shot at getting him do to us having Chris Ballard

I would if I were confident in my market/demand and wasn't stressed about losing an offer or two. Poe was one of the few players that hit free agency that most assumed would be tagged -- I know I did -- so I imagine his market/demand is good. He has several visits lined up, and the fact that he made it out of Jacksonville -- a team that has a ton of cap space and isn't afraid to throw it around -- means he's weighing his options patiently.

I happen to think Indy is a draw for someone like Poe, given the way he talked about the meeting to Josina Anderson and his history with Ballard. 

56 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If I were a player with injury history, I'd want the long term contract now.

It would only be a long term contract on the surface. At this point, he's not going to get any significant guarantees beyond Year 1, IMO. If he gets a one year deal now, he can play himself into more leverage for higher guaranteed money next year. I'm assuming that's his stance.

59 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Also keep in mind the Pagano factor. With all his flaws, he is a good FA recruiter. Have to think he'd have some kind of factor into all this.

I'm not a betting man, and I certainly don't want to jinx it, but I'd have to think the Colts are are front runners in snagging him, despite him leaving without a contract. 

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

Also keep in mind the Pagano factor. With all his flaws, he is a good FA recruiter. Have to think he'd have some kind of factor into all this.

I'm not a betting man, and I certainly don't want to jinx it, but I'd have to think the Colts are are front runners in snagging him, despite him leaving without a contract. 

I wouldnt go that far, considering the Falcons and Raiders are supposedly in on him as well, but I would say we have about as good a chance as them, and probably a better chance than Jax or Miami. 

10 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Someone else posted in another thread that we could possibly sign Hankins and Logan for less than Poe.   If so that would be a great idea IMO.  Need that depth 

Yeah. I posted about that in another thread as well.  I'm worried that something is wrong with Poe or he is wanting 13-14 million a year. I don't see why Jax or Indy wouldn't have signed him yet. He is the best NT available but it isn't like his presence has a JJ Watt affect. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I think he wants to sign here, but wants to see what other teams will offer to see if the colts will match

Maybe. It is telling that he agreed to meet with the colts first. It could be he is going out to the highest bidder. Or that he wants to explore every option and has no idea of which team he wants to sign with. 

26 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I wouldnt go that far, considering the Falcons and Raiders are supposedly in on him as well, but I would say we have about as good a chance as them, and probably a better chance than Jax or Miami. 

Atlanta runs a 4-3 I'm pretty sure. And Oakland has a good shot too. But I think the Colts having Ballard, Pagano, the right defense (in terms of scheme) and perhaps even location (Indy is the closest to KC I believe compared to ATL, OAK and JAX), gives them the best shot. 

16 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Atlanta runs a 4-3 I'm pretty sure. And Oakland has a good shot too. But I think the Colts having Ballard, Pagano, the right defense (in terms of scheme) and perhaps even location (Indy is the closest to KC I believe compared to ATL, OAK and JAX), gives them the best shot. 

I dont think the system matters. Poe seems to be going to more 4-3 teams than 3-4 for his visits. I dont think that having Pagano is much of a draw, as Altanta and Oakland both seem to be better run teams. Location might come into play, but I think exposure and the chance to show his skills on a winning team are probably his most pressing needs, as he seems to be wanting to go the route of a 1 yr prove it deal. Superbowl caliber teams have a bigger draw in that respect, so ATL and OAK are better options for him over us. 

I think all the things you have listed only keep us in the running, not set us ahead of the pack. 

4 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I wonder if he considers playing in a 3-4 important. We are the only team who he has visited/will visit who run a 3-4.

Hopefully we wanta to stay in the midwest.

I think it would depend on the contact too. He would not sign a one year deal with a 4-3 team. If he failed to adapt and had a bad year, he would lose a decent bit of money next year. Jax and Atl would have to be willing to give him a 3 year deal I think, probably for at least 36mil.