Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Defjamz26

Defjamz Post FA Mock

22 posts in this topic

I too quickly did a mock as soon as the combine ended and now FA has shaken things up again. This mock is based on what has happened in FS and what I think will happen.

Draft:

Round 1: Hassan Reddick, ILB Temple: Sidney Jones was who I had us taking until the recent injury. Given how we've fixed OLB short term this is the next best pick. Reddick will be a defensive chess piece that doesn't have to come off the field and is more versatile than any other LB in this class. All the tools are there so this is a perfect spot to get him.

Round 2: Quincy Wilson, CB Florida: As I thought, it doesn't look like we're making any moves at CB in FA. Butler probably isn't getting resigned and Robinson was cut. The need for CB is great. Wilson is falling out of first round mocks and probably rightfully so. He's a better day 2 value and he probably has to play press CB at the next level with a 4.5 40. It'll work for us. Immediate starter at CB 2. (You can also put another CB who might be here in this slot)

Round 3: Marcus Williams, FS Utah: You absolutely cannot go into 2017 with Green as the top safety. So Ballard drafts a top guy to play center fielder. Williams has elite ball skills but will get overlooked by all the safeties who ran sub-4.5 40s. He's physical in both the run and pass game and can be a future leader.

Round 4: Cameron Sutton, CB Tenn.: An overlooked prospect who was often injured during his collegiate career. He's 5'11" with short arms so I'm predicting he gets kicked inside to nickel. Butler won't be back so he may have to play early. But like Butler he's flexible and can do a lot of things for you

Round 4: Wayne Gallman, RB Clemson: A jack of all trades, master of none type of player. Gallman is a guy that you get creative with and give 15-20 touches to. He also had underrated power in his game and can run between the tackles. (You can put any RB you think will be available here)

Round 4: Jarron Jones, DL Norte Dame: Had him in my last draft. Doesn't look like we're getting Poe and no one knows what we're doing with Parry. Jones can play 5-tech and possibly NT. 6'6" is big for a NT but he can probably two-gap. Shows enough power to 1-gap as well though as they had to triple team him against Miami.

Round 5: Elijah Lee, ILB Kansas State: A combine snub who has terrific size at 6'3" 220. Has a frame to handle another 10-20 pounds if you want. Tackling form needs work and he's only just scratched the surface of his potential in coverage. He brings immediate competition to a weak LB group and can play STs while he grows. 

No pass rushers? Sheard and Simon are both relatively young and will buy the Colts 2-3 years to find future studs. Mingo could break out, although it's a long shot. But there's no sense of reaching for a pass rusher. Garrett and Thomas will be gone before our picks. Taco isn't a scheme fit and Barnett might go before us. Tak and Harris aren't necessarily top 15 players. It's more important to improve our LB core and secondary because there are bigger holes there. I don't see Ballard making any more moves so that's where his focus will be in the draft probably. The safety and CB class is deep and Reddick is a can't miss player.

Ballard is going young and our first 5 picks are probably all starters. Remember guys, You don't have to solve all the problems in 1 draft. We can get a true NT next year and start seeing what we need to have dominant trench players.

8 people like this

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Round 1: Hassan Reddick, ILB Temple: Sidney Jones was who I had us taking until the recent injury. Given how we've fixed OLB short term this is the next best pick. Reddick will be a defensive chess piece that doesn't have to come off the field and is more versatile than any other LB in this class. All the tools are there so this is a perfect spot to get him.

Round 2: Quincy Wilson, CB Florida: As I thought, it doesn't look like we're making any moves at CB in FA. Butler probably isn't getting resigned and Robinson was cut. The need for CB is great. Wilson is falling out of first round mocks and probably rightfully so. He's a better day 2 value and he probably has to play press CB at the next level with a 4.5 40. It'll work for us. Immediate starter at CB 2. (You can also put another CB who might be here in this slot)

Round 3: Marcus Williams, FS Utah: You absolutely cannot go into 2017 with Green as the top safety. So Ballard drafts a top guy to play center fielder. Williams has elite ball skills but will get overlooked by all the safeties who ran sub-4.5 40s. He's physical in both the run and pass game and can be a future leader.

Round 4: Cameron Sutton, CB Tenn.: An overlooked prospect who was often injured during his collegiate career. He's 5'11" with short arms so I'm predicting he gets kicked inside to nickel. Butler won't be back so he may have to play early. But like Butler he's flexible and can do a lot of things for you

Round 4: Wayne Gallman, RB Clemson: A jack of all trades, master of none type of player. Gallman is a guy that you get creative with and give 15-20 touches to. He also had underrated power in his game and can run between the tackles. (You can put any RB you think will be available here)

Round 4: Jarron Jones, DL Norte Dame: Had him in my last draft. Doesn't look like we're getting Poe and no one knows what we're doing with Parry. Jones can play 5-tech and possibly NT. 6'6" is big for a NT but he can probably two-gap. Shows enough power to 1-gap as well though as they had to triple team him against Miami.

Round 5: Elijah Lee, ILB Kansas State: A combine snub who has terrific size at 6'3" 220. Has a frame to handle another 10-20 pounds if you want. Tackling form needs work and he's only just scratched the surface of his potential in coverage. He brings immediate competition to a weak LB group and can play STs while he grows. 

I like the idea of this draft but I would say some players will need to be switched up IMO.  Sutton is gone by the 4th and Wilson is a 1st rounder that might drop to very early in the 2nd.  I like the idea of positions hit in each round though.  I think Jarron Jones has the potential to become a stud for us.

1 person likes this

Well i dont think we are super bowl bound with this draft, but it is definitely in line with a solid long term build. I like the picks and cant think of many pass rushers that would be on the board that id rather have over these prospects. 

That being said, i think pass rushers typically take a little longer to mature into their prime then a lot of other positions, so it worries me if they are our final pcs to our defense. 

I would be happy if we walked away with this draft class, but id have a bit of worry in the back of my mind over how far away our total rebuild might be. 

17 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I like the idea of this draft but I would say some players will need to be switched up IMO.  Sutton is gone by the 4th and Wilson is a 1st rounder that might drop to very early in the 2nd.  I like the idea of positions hit in each round though.  I think Jarron Jones has the potential to become a stud for us.

Appreciate the feedback. But I think there could be some CBs that jump Wilson because of their testing. Fabian Moreau and Adoree Jackson might be too such guys. But if not Wilson I'd go with Tankersly or any of the CBs. Even Awuzie. It's pick your flavor tbh.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Appreciate the feedback. But I think there could be some CBs that jump Wilson because of their testing. Fabian Moreau and Adoree Jackson might be too such guys. But if not Wilson I'd go with Tankersly or any of the CBs. Even Awuzie. It's pick your flavor tbh.

Not a problem and I would love Fab Moreau if possible.  Awuzie as well.

This is the best fan mock draft as far from a position need/per round. Im no expert on the college players but the positions we take on the certain rounds I like. A pass rusher would have been awesome before the last pick but I understand certain needs are needed and I think Sheard will give us a surprise in pass rush and we can get by until the 2018 draft for a star pass rusher. Also one thing about our D scheme, I would like to see more stunts/blitzs and a more exotic scheme to overall which I think could add a few extra sacks.

There is no way we don't take a pass rusher IMO. My guess is fhe 2nd round. Unless Thomas Barnett and maybe Taco are there at 15. 

22 minutes ago, akcolt said:

There is no way we don't take a pass rusher IMO. My guess is fhe 2nd round. Unless Thomas Barnett and maybe Taco are there at 15. 

agree we could use a top pass rusher. unfortunately after running fanspeak multiple scenarios would say our best odds is to select Charles Harris in Round 1. 

Also agree we need to bolster our safties and hope FS Budda Baker is available in Round 2.

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

Why reach on a pass rusher? The current CB#2 would be Rashad Melvin if the season started today. At LB the current starters are Morrison and Edwin Jackson (who isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be). Currently we have 2 starting OLBs in Sheard and Simon. We can find a pass rusher to groom later or wait until next year. Butler doesn't seem to be getting resigned and Vontae is on the last year of his deal. We need CBs and ILBs. It's BPA and that's what position is likely to be BPA. It's just like when Grigson didn't get a safety in the 2014 draft. We needed one but the value wasn't there.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Why reach on a pass rusher? The current CB#2 would be Rashad Melvin if the season started today. At LB the current starters are Morrison and Edwin Jackson (who isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be). Currently we have 2 starting OLBs in Sheard and Simon. We can find a pass rusher to groom later or wait until next year. Butler doesn't seem to be getting resigned and Vontae is on the last year of his deal. We need CBs and ILBs. It's BPA and that's what position is likely to be BPA. It's just like when Grigson didn't get a safety in the 2014 draft. We needed one but the value wasn't there.

If Thomas or Barnett are there at 15 how is that a reach? Taco is up for debate.  The only DB's I see in the conversation would be a sliding Adams Hooker and Lattimore. More than likely all those guys are gone at 15. 

That is why I said I thought we would grab an edge in the 2nd. Unless we drop back from 15  I didn't say we should reach for a young psss rusher. My thought was in a draft filled with pass rushers I think it's unlikely we don't draft one somewhere. My guess is the first 2 days. That's where pass rushers go. 

You misunderstood if you thought I was advocating for a pass rusher or bust in the 1st or I worded it poorly. I think we go BPA at a position of need. That could be tricky if we are sitting in a sea of offensive skill players. It could be a bit of a reach to go D at 15 period 

I too am leaning toward Reddick with the unfortunate injury to Jones. That being said I keep hearing Ballard saying when in doubt go to the trenches. 

I think the pass rushers in this class will push players at other positions down the board. It's a good draft to have 3 picks in the 4th if we could pick up an extra day 2 that would be great. 

I absolutely agree with your thoughts on Morrison and Jackson. We can't roll with more than one starting. Ideally we bring in Hodges or another FA then get Walker in the 4th. 

I feel a little better about Melvin than you.  We don't have a slot CB or any depth. Davis is in the final year of his deal. It would not bother me if we signed a FA and took 2 CB's in this years draft. 

I think the pass rushers are going to push some day 2 talent at the deeper positions to the early day 3. Lucky for us CB S and RB look to be three of the deepest positions and we have 3 picks in the 4th. Ballard appears confident In his eye This could be a big draft for us.

One of my favorite mocks except the one point that people are talking about.

No pass rush.

I don't see that happening.    It may not happen in the first two rounds,   but it DOES have to happen. 

1 person likes this

not really.... Ballard COULD decide he's happy with S/S....... I agree with you though, he'll take a rusher early, because this is hopefully our highest draft pick in a long while, and on top of that......  Pass rushers are not acquired as free agents...... they just don't come free if worthy....

1 person likes this

I think we go pass rusher early  at some point.  We have proven that a Vontae Davis level talent can only do so much with no pass rush,  but a significant pass rush covers a multitude of sins.  

On 13.03.2017 at 8:11 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I too quickly did a mock as soon as the combine ended and now FA has shaken things up again. This mock is based on what has happened in FS and what I think will happen.

Draft:

No pass rushers? Sheard and Simon are both relatively young and will buy the Colts 2-3 years to find future studs. Mingo could break out, although it's a long shot. But there's no sense of reaching for a pass rusher. Garrett and Thomas will be gone before our picks. Taco isn't a scheme fit and Barnett might go before us. Tak and Harris aren't necessarily top 15 players. It's more important to improve our LB core and secondary because there are bigger holes there. I don't see Ballard making any more moves so that's where his focus will be in the draft probably. The safety and CB class is deep and Reddick is a can't miss player.

Ballard is going young and our first 5 picks are probably all starters. Remember guys, You don't have to solve all the problems in 1 draft. We can get a true NT next year and start seeing what we need to have dominant trench players.

Actually, he is a "can miss player". :)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-haason-reddick-lb-temple/

"Missed 15 tackles on only 76 attempts in 2016 and missed 28 on 150 attempts over last three seasons".

Haven't seen anyone have Reddick as our choice in RD.1. I haven't seen much tape on him, but this is interesting. Solid mock though.

I think he could add a little more weight (Reddick) he looks pretty mean, but the guy can run and showed a lot of promise at being able to rush up the middle and stop the run. I also seen him show off some potential as a covering LB. If he can add some pounds and keep the speed, I think he could be a solid addition. Hopefully the Colts could add a strong NT to help free him up if we ever did go ahead and draft him.

Too bad we couldn't find a way to get Cook at 15 and then move up into the the first again and take Harris.

I watched some tape on Harris earlier and he seemed rather impressive. I don't think you can go wrong with OLB or CB RD 1. I love Dalvin Cook, but we just brought back Turbin and that may push Ballard away from going with a RB RD 1.

I can't wait for the Draft to get here already.

1 person likes this

I love it, man! One of my favorite mocks yet.

This is more than a one year deal son I won't complain as much as other for the lack of a pure edge rusher here, but Reddick should be capable of being used on many ways for creating pressure. I also am glad to see another Lee fan for his later round potential. He has great size and athleticism for coverage, but as you said, he's inconsistent in his tackling. I think he would definitely add good competition. Good job!

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

One of my favorite mocks except the one point that people are talking about.

No pass rush.

I don't see that happening.    It may not happen in the first two rounds,   but it DOES have to happen. 

But Reddick can rush the passer. He can be used in all kinds of ways. I know we'll need more pass rushers in the future, but remove any of the other positions in this draft and I feel uncomfortable about them too. We need a safetly, probably multiple corners, a NT, etc... this draft fills a lot of holes with good talent, and does improve the pass rush. (Just not as much as we would all like.)

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I think we go pass rusher early  at some point.  We have proven that a Vontae Davis level talent can only do so much with no pass rush,  but a significant pass rush covers a multitude of sins.  

He'll have pass rush for a few seasons with Sheard and Simon. During that time we can eventually groom another young pass rusher behind them. Next year Harold Landry from BC is coming out. Along with Tyquan Lewis and Sam Hubbard just to name a few. I didn't purposely avoid pass rush in this draft, it's just the value wasn't there. After Thomas, Garrett, and Barnett none of the edge rushers are can't miss. Plus need factored in. You can get by with Sheard and Simon at ILB. You can't get by with no number 2 or nickel CB, Green starting at FS, or Morrison and E. Jackson starting at ILB.