Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts transactions / details (ONLY) [Merge]

Superman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/24/2017 at 1:58 PM, Superman said:

Just updated. To get @dw49 to stop calling me a lazy bum, I estimated Woods at $2.5m and Fortunato at $500k. 

Until we get details stating otherwise, the Colts have approximately $25.6m remaining cap space.This does not include in season buffer or practice squad. It does include draft picks.

First I've seen on the Woods contract. Over The Cap has it right around 1.9 mill . 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

They're calling it two years, $4m, and estimating bonuses/incentives. 

Looks like a very large carry over unless there's an extension for Mewhort (only player I can think of that makes sense) .. which I doubt.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Looks like a very large carry over unless there's an extension for Mewhort (only player I can think of that makes sense) .. which I doubt.

I would be talking to Mewhort and Moncrief about extensions over the summer. 

Just now, Superman said:

I would be talking to Mewhort and Moncrief about extensions over the summer. 

Moncrief would surprise me. I just don't think he's quite established if he's anything more than a decent #2. 

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Moncrief would surprise me. I just don't think he's quite established if he's anything more than a decent #2. 

I'd be fine with paying him like he's a potentially decent #2. He might not want to be locked down at that rate, but I'd offer something in that range right now. I think he has strong #1 potential, so I'd be okay maybe overpaying based on production, due to his potential.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd be fine with paying him like he's a potentially decent #2. He might not want to be locked down at that rate, but I'd offer something in that range right now. I think he has strong #1 potential, so I'd be okay maybe overpaying based on production, due to his potential.

Agree Moncrief is a keeper IMO!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0645987449960406375-4

Here's a breakdown of defensive lineman Johnathan Hankins' contract with the Colts: --Hankins received $7 million roster bonus to go with $3 million salary in 2017. -- 2018 salary is $7.5 million, with $4.5 million guaranteed --2019 salary is $8 million and is not guaranteed ESPN's Dan Graziano also reported that Hankins has $3 million in incentives tied to playing time, sacks and Pro Bowl selections.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Fwells_mike_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=cropMike Wells, ESPN Staff Writer

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Overthecap indicates that the 4.5M in 2018 salary isn't guaranteed at signing.  It likely becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster next year.

http://overthecap.com/player/johnathan-hankins/2259

He will get that 4.5 million. Otherwise it is not guaranteed.  When it has to be paid by is likely in the conttract, Why it isn't reflect in OTC I'm not sure why.

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He will get that 4.5 million. Otherwise it is not guaranteed.  When it has to be paid by is likely in the conttract, Why it isn't reflect in OTC I'm not sure why.

No it's not "fully guaranteed".  . . When the media does these numbers they look at any money that could ever become guaranteed at any point in the contract and post that as guaranteed money.  

Realistically it looks like only 10M is fully guaranteed.  All in the first year.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

No it's not "fully guaranteed".  . . When the media does these numbers they look at any money that could ever become guaranteed at any point in the contract and post that as guaranteed money.  

Realistically it looks like only 10M is fully guaranteed.  All in the first year.

That's poor reporting then, IMHO.  Those  that care about finances of their team knows the meat of the contract is all in the guaranteed money, not money per year or total contract dollars, etc.  If parts of guaranteed money are for injury only, or based up other criteria (numbers of starts, making the next season roster, etc..) then it should be reflected.  They must know something because they report the whole 14.5 million, but the breakdown does not show that.  and there is no explanation for that and that I find troubling.

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That's poor reporting then, IMHO.  Those  that care about finances of their team knows the meat of the contract is all in the guaranteed money, not money per year or total contract dollars, etc.  If parts of guaranteed money are for injury only, or based up other criteria (numbers of starts, making the next season roster, etc..) then it should be reflected.  They must know something because they report the whole 14.5 million, but the breakdown does not show that.  and there is no explanation for that and that I find troubling.

It's poor reporting but that's something they do consistently.  

There is a reason for it though.  While we're interested in contract structure and things like that the general public just thinks "Oh some football player just made a bunch of money."  So it's in the media's best interest to inflate things and simplify things as much as possible.

Quite frankly the modern media doesn't do their homework on even more important topics then football contracts these days.  

Remember this is the same group of people who's sophisticated investigative technique for getting all the information on a suspected criminal is to go look up their facebook page and show the picture from facebook on TV.  Which has more then once led completely innocent people who had the same name to wonder why they where being labeled a terrorist by the national news.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to advocate any alternative media here.  I am just saying never trust the media to do their homework on the details.  Sensationalism always wins out over details.  You have to do your own homework on the details.

10 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's poor reporting but that's something they do consistently.  

There is a reason for it though.  While we're interested in contract structure and things like that the general public just thinks "Oh some football player just made a bunch of money."  So it's in the media's best interest to inflate things and simplify things as much as possible.

Quite frankly the modern media doesn't do their homework on even more important topics then football contracts these days.  

Remember this is the same group of people who's sophisticated investigative technique for getting all the information on a suspected criminal is to go look up their facebook page and show the picture from facebook on TV.  Which has more then once led completely innocent people who had the same name to wonder why they where being labeled a terrorist by the national news.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to advocate any alternative media here.  I am just saying never trust the media to do their homework on the details.  Sensationalism always wins out over details.  You have to do your own homework on the details.

Good points, and believable.  Now it begs the question, if they are that cavalier with their reporting, why should any analysis (including draft reports) be trusted as being in depth and representative?

One reason I subscribe to non media sites for their insight.

It's not just the media, I believe it's mostly pushed by agents. 

Specific to Hankins, Spotrac has update their numbers also, maybe based on OTC, and they show the $4.5m is guaranteed as of March 2018. Probably the 5th day of the league year, based on precedent.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Good points, and believable.  Now it begs the question, if they are that cavalier with their reporting, why should any analysis (including draft reports) be trusted as being in depth and representative?

One reason I subscribe to non media sites for their insight.

I wouldn't trust their draft reports either honestly.  

Honestly the quote "Who the heck is Mel Kiper" is pretty accurate.  He's just a guy who got interested in the NFL draft a little earlier then most people where interested.  Started writing some stuff about it and eventually got picked up by ESPN and suddenly he's an expert who can tell NFL general managers they are stupid. 

On 4/21/2017 at 3:11 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I wouldn't trust their draft reports either honestly.  

Honestly the quote "Who the heck is Mel Kiper" is pretty accurate.  He's just a guy who got interested in the NFL draft a little earlier then most people where interested.  Started writing some stuff about it and eventually got picked up by ESPN and suddenly he's an expert who can tell NFL general managers they are stupid. 

I really did this...  :spit:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unpinning this. 

As of today, the Colts have approximately $19.6m in cap space for 2017, including dead money, injured reserve, and practice squad. 

Projections for next year: I expect the Colts to roll over about $10m to 2018. The cap should be around $178m, conservatively (7% increase). The Colts have committed about $104m in 2018, pending any new contract. With rollover, they stand to be under the cap by $84m going into the offseason.

Free agents include Vontae Davis (50% chance of re-signing), Jack Mewhort (75% chance of re-signing), Donte Moncrief (75% chance of re-signing), Frank Gore (5% chance of re-signing), Darius Butler (25% chance of re-signing), Adam Vinatieri (50% chance of re-signing), Scott Tolzien (1% chance of re-signing). Just my estimates, nothing scientific.

Expect the Colts to be players in free agency next offseason.