$006.376m = Dead Money
$003.000m = In-Season “Churn” Space

11 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Not really missing.    Just that it has to be accounted for and in reserve 

$006.322m = Estimated Draftee Cap Hit. You have this I think 

$001.080m = Spots #52 and #53 on In-Season Active Roster
$006.376m = Dead Money

I don't have churn space; I think it's a given that we won't spend up to the cap in the offseason. I did account for dead money, and I'm using the full roster cap space calculation, not the top 51. 

Spotrac is pretty much caught up now, pending Hunt and Schwenke; they account for draft picks. Their bottom line has us just under $144m, with all contracts. Add in my estimate of $4m for Hunt and Schwenke to go to $148m. With rollover, our adjusted cap is $173.6m. The remainder should be $25.6m, approximately.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't have churn space; I think it's a given that we won't spend up to the cap in the offseason. I did account for dead money, and I'm using the full roster cap space calculation, not the top 51. 

Spotrac is pretty much caught up now, pending Hunt and Schwenke; they account for draft picks. Their bottom line has us just under $144m, with all contracts. Add in my estimate of $4m for Hunt and Schwenke to go to $148m. With rollover, our adjusted cap is $173.6m. The remainder should be $25.6m, approximately.

The man of steel has nerves and patience of steel! I showed the same, sans the draft pick compensation and projected salary allowance for Hunt and Schwenke (that will be fun to say!) earlier.....your numbers are spot on.:hat:

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'll quote my source once he updates again.  Be fun to see if you agree when you see the total breakdown.  

13 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

The man of steel has nerves and patience of steel! I showed the same, sans the draft pick compensation and projected salary allowance for Hunt and Schwenke (that will be fun to say!) earlier.....your numbers are spot on.:hat:

I did my previous update in a hurry, so it's possible I miscalculated or forgot something. I just wanted it to be audited to see if I missed something. 

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I did my previous update in a hurry, so it's possible I miscalculated or forgot something. I just wanted it to be audited to see if I missed something. 

Well you do have an auditor here in case you need one :thmup:

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

As many as you want, as far as I know. The CBA ends after 2020, so things may change then.

So,  in this thread,  21isSuperman has a post with some tweets in it,  and they point out a new negotiating point that I think you pointed out with the Doyle signing but now it seems clear we're doing it with as many players as possible....

No, or low signing bonus and that money is, instead,  given out as a roster bonus.    The player gets the money and the money is not prorated over the contract.    So, I guess we absorb the hit in one year,  instead of multiple years.

You like?     Or no?     Either way,  why so?

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,  in this thread,  21isSuperman has a post with some tweets in it,  and they point out a new negotiating point that I think you pointed out with the Doyle signing but now it seems clear we're doing it with as many players as possible....

No, or low signing bonus and that money is, instead,  given out as a roster bonus.    The player gets the money and the money is not prorated over the contract.    So, I guess we absorb the hit in one year,  instead of multiple years.

I'm fine with it. The reason they're loading extra cash in Year 1 is to avoid signing bonuses, which means there's no dead money in future years. I get it. The cash is the same, so the overall cap obligation is the same, even though it's different year to year.

It's not my preference, though. Shouldn't matter for our team, with our cap situation, and with the level of contracts we're talking about. But once you spend cap space, it's gone. If you have a prorated signing bonus, you can play with that cap space a little bit, regardless of the dead money. 

I'm assuming that when it comes to big contracts, they'll use a signing bonus. If you applied their structure to Luck's contract, he would have had a Year 1 cap hit of $44m. It doesn't work with big money contracts. They would either have to reduce his Year 1 cash -- which is going to be a point of contention for most players -- or they have to use a signing bonus to split it up.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I could be wrong but a roster bonus would mean they have to be on the active roster in week 1 I assume? So guys like Mingo and Hunt etc won't get the bonus if they don't make the cut. Thus yes it would be in their year 1 contract but not guaranteed if say they don't make the final cut. I assume some of those would be a formality but others may not (mingo).

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I could be wrong but a roster bonus would mean they have to be on the active roster in week 1 I assume? So guys like Mingo and Hunt etc won't get the bonus if they don't make the cut. Thus yes it would be in their year 1 contract but not guaranteed if say they don't make the final cut. I assume some of those would be a formality but others may not (mingo).

The date of the roster bonus is determined by the contract, it can be any date. It could be Week 1, or it could be May 31, or November 17, or whenever.

I really like the acquisition of Jabaal Sheard at LB who knows how to make opposing QBs feel uncomfortable. INDY needs that: Pressure in a field general's face. A pass rusher who knows how to knock down balls & shorten the field for Chewbacca with additional touches. 

Plus, Jabaal Sheard will only make Luck better in practice speeding up his release time with a shorter delivery on Sundays. 

Yeah, I know. Supes thread is all about maneuvering the salary cap. My bad. I just love this new INDY toy to reek havoc with man. 

20 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I really like the acquisition of Jabaal Sheard at LB who knows how to make opposing QBs feel uncomfortable. INDY needs that: Pressure in a field general's face. A pass rusher who knows how to knock down balls & shorten the field for Chewbacca with additional touches. 

Plus, Jabaal Sheard will only make Luck better in practice speeding up his release time with a shorter delivery on Sundays. 

Yeah, I know. Supes thread is all about maneuvering the salary cap. My bad. I just love this new INDY toy to reek havoc with man. 

Then why not post it in the correct thread?

7 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Not really missing.    Just that it has to be accounted for and in reserve 

$006.322m = Estimated Draftee Cap Hit. You have this I think 

$001.080m = Spots #52 and #53 on In-Season Active Roster
$006.376m = Dead Money

7 hours ago, Superman said:

6 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Blows my mind how you folks break this information down like you do!?! Bravo

7 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

Blows my mind how you folks break this information down like you do!?! Bravo

It's not me.  I have a guy on my website that does it.  I like to see how his compare to Supermans.  But yes I agree. It is very good stufff from both 

@Superman You should pin this thread.

BTW, Stephen Holder reported this at approximately 10:00 am, so I am not sure if he is including Turbin's deal or not. I don't think the Turbin deal was "official" until sometime this morning. 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Robert-Turbin-returns-for-unfinished-business/208281cf-e851-4545-bf59-56ab84c60fd2

Wow that is a lot more than I thought.

Someone reported we only had 20 million left without consideration of the draft. We have 37.5 now which is quite a bit of money. Can actually still sign Brown and Minter if we want. And TJ McDonald or Jahiri Evans(veteran guard to compete with the young bloods). 

9 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Wow that is a lot more than I thought.

Someone reported we only had 20 million left without consideration of the draft. We have 37.5 now which is quite a bit of money. Can actually still sign Brown and Minter if we want. And TJ McDonald or Jahiri Evans(veteran guard to compete with the young bloods). 

You mean "with consideration for the draft".. correct ? We have around 30 mill right now ... that's the latest figure Holder gives , the 37 mill is before Woods and Butler. Then take away around 10 mill for draft and wiggle room .. it would leave around 20 mill available to spend. They actually could easily spend more by turning some of those roster bonuses into signing bonuses. I would be shocked if they did this as these contracts are all very easy to walk away from after year one and that appears to be part of Ballard's strategy . 

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I would be shocked if they did this as these contracts are all very easy to walk away from after year one and that appears to be part of Ballard's strategy . 

A very good strategy for any GM to take.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

A very good strategy for any GM to take.

Yes , I 100% agree. It's no doubt the right strategy considering Luck is young and the roster needs building. If the windows closing , then you could consider the big signing bonuses.