Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We have seven picks in the first five rounds. 

I hear most of the people on here wanting to trade down. But if it was me I would trade up. We could nab two top notch players in the first.

Derek Barnett or Reuban Foster at 15.

Trade up to no. 29 or 30 with GB or the Steelers.  Both teams have history of trading back. We could offer our second, a fourth, and next years 6th. Or throw in Dorsett and our second as both teams need a receiver. 

We could then draft a stud corner or safety like Humphrey, Tabor, or Jarbril Peppers at No. 29 or 30. I think it gives us players who are ready to play and have more potential to be stars than using all three of our 4th round picks. 

7 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I hear most of the people on here wanting to trade down. But if it was me I would trade up. We could nab two top notch players in the first.

Trade up to no. 29 or 30 with GB or the Steelers.  Both teams have history of trading back. We could offer our second, a fourth, and next years 6th. Or throw in Dorsett and our second as both teams need a receiver. 

We could then draft a stud corner or safety like Humphrey, Tabor, or Jarbril Peppers at No. 29 or 30. I think it gives us players who are ready to play and have more potential to be stars than using all three of our 4th round picks. 

While I understand your point it normally cost dearly to trade up in the first round.

IMO standing pat with our picks works better in the long run.

My guess is that the Colts really want Foster and this is why we inquired about 9th pick as Foster won't get past the bengals. I would offer dorsett and a fourth to move from 15 to 9. Bengals literally have no one behind Green except for T Boyd and that isn't much, they could use a WR

7 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

That is an unrealistic trade.    To make up the value of moving up into the 2nd it would require our 2nd 3rd and 5th 

No way that happens.   

34 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

The Colts would have to trade at least our 2 and 3 to move up to pick 29/30.    Maybe more.

Too expensive.

Here is the draft pick trade value chart for you to look at....      the points typically have to be pretty close to get a good match for a possible trade.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts would have to trade at least our 2 and 3 to move up to pick 29/30.    Maybe more.

Too expensive.

Here is the draft pick trade value chart for you to look at....      the points typically have to be pretty close to get a good match for a possible trade.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

I don't think people understand how much it cost to move up. Think of this. NE traded back only 8 positions at the end of 2nd into the front of the third with Carolina and got Kony Ealy. The first two rds are very expensive to move up. I think it's safe to say we have nothing save giving up our whole draft almost that would get us back into rd 1. *

Edited by Nadine
baiting

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't think people understand how much it cost to move up. Think of this. NE traded back only 8 positions at the end of 2nd into the front of the third with Carolina and got Kony Ealy. The first two rds are very expensive to move up. I think it's safe to say we have nothing save giving up our whole draft almost that would get us back into rd 1. *

Yup....

I've been preaching this for 5 years since I showed up here.....

And, you noted,  especially expensive in the first two rounds.     

Edited by Nadine
quoting removed post

One of my models I had us trading 19th pick with TB Bucs. Would allow us to get TB Bucs 3rd and their 5th round than would send our 2018 6th round pick to TB Bucs...was originally based on selecting 14th not 15th.  With the Saints picking up a few extra draft pick along with the Brown we might want to be more aggressive given our depleted defense.

Looks like we need safties and a quality cornerback along with linebackers. Next year's draft looks to have better offensive available early...

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

My guess is that the Colts really want Foster and this is why we inquired about 9th pick as Foster won't get past the bengals. I would offer dorsett and a fourth to move from 15 to 9. Bengals literally have no one behind Green except for T Boyd and that isn't much, they could use a WR

I'd be okay with that too. I really want Barnett too though. I really believe he is gonna going to take the league by storm. 12/13 average sack a year guy. 

55 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Too much value will be there at #15 to worry about trading up

I definitely want to keep our #15 pick. I'm talking about trading up to the end of the first round. Or maybe the very beginning of the second round to grab the draft's top talent. 

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I understand your point it normally cost dearly to trade up in the first round.

IMO standing pat with our picks works better in the long run.

Depends on who's there of course. But if you believed a team changing pass rusher dropped to 9, you better believe trading up is better for the team in the long run.

15 hours ago, Indeee said:

Im assuming youre adding the first pick as well otherwise the bengals would laugh hysterically for a good hour before they hang up the phone 

31 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Depends on who's there of course. But if you believed a team changing pass rusher dropped to 9, you better believe trading up is better for the team in the long run.

Just a matter of opinion.

We can all speculate or wish a player we want till the cows come home but ultimately the Colts big board is where the draft will take us. Historically teams big boards do not match fans wishes or wants. Teams have much more access to information, tape and character issue than fans. Fans judging a player by their highlight tape does not mean those are the reasons a team picks players.

I am not putting you in that category, just a general observation.

If the Colts want to move up to 9 they want Foster. I would say Thomas but he wouldn't make it past the Panthers since they traded Kony. I'd say a swap of 1st round picks, Dorsett, and a 4th would get it. 

It would take way too much to move from the 2nd to the first. We should stay put. If we got Reuben there wouldn't be anyone in the 1st worth moving up for. But who knows Foster may fall anyways. He measured in at 6'0" when most thought he was 6'2". He's probably better in a 3-4. Most of the teams picking in front of us run the 4-3. Technically you could put him as a WILL in a 4-3 but I think the only time LBs get drafted in the top 15 is to play MLB. But if the Panthers are on the clock and Foster is there, that's when I'd start contacting the Bengals just to be safe.

I think if the Colts had a good defense and were maybe that one knock-out pick away from being complete and Superbowl caliber, then yeah it would make sense to me.  BUT......they are a long way off defensively.  Perhaps a little bit closer now than they were in January, but still has a ways to go even IF they sign Poe.  This draft is DEEP defensively and at RB, two  thingsthe Colts happen to need.  They are going to get someone who can help them at 15 regardless.  So why trade up?  Keep your picks, get good guys in here (the more the merrier), and keep building this "monster".

I'm trying to remember the last time a team traded the farm to move up in the 1st, and it worked out...

I'm having flashbacks to the Redskins trading everything to move up and get RG3.

Maybe I have selective memory, but it seems like it always works out better for the teams that trade DOWN.  The draft is a crap-shoot, so stocking the cupboards with extra picks increases your chances of success.

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm trying to remember the last time a team traded the farm to move up in the 1st, and it worked out...

I'm having flashbacks to the Redskins trading everything to move up and get RG3.

Maybe I have selective memory, but it seems like it always works out better for the teams that trade DOWN.  The draft is a crap-shoot, so stocking the cupboards with extra picks increases your chances of success.

julio jones

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just a matter of opinion.

We can all speculate or wish a player we want till the cows come home but ultimately the Colts big board is where the draft will take us. Historically teams big boards do not match fans wishes or wants. Teams have much more access to information, tape and character issue than fans. Fans judging a player by their highlight tape does not mean those are the reasons a team picks players.

I am not putting you in that category, just a general observation.

No i hear ya. We cant know (and neither can the team really) for sure how a player will pan out, but for the sake of argument, all im saying is, if you could trade up and get JJ Watt, for instance, itd be worth the 1st and 2nd in hindsight to get him.

24 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Jack conklin is an all pro OT that the titans traded up for last yr. 

17 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Our WR corps is not that good as it stands.  I wouldn't like going into the offseason with just TY and two unreliable WRs in Moncrief and Rogers.

27 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I've actually entertained the idea of trading whatever it took to move up and get Myles Garrett.

That is probably a horrible idea that would doom the rest of our roster, but the idea of a #1 pick at QB and at Pass-Rusher...

Yeah I would say that is too much of a wet dream.  Perhaps if he was the "missing piece" then you go all-in sure.  But in our case.......