Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mingo, Simon and Sheard on the field together

indyagent17

Mingo should be used as a EDGE rusher. The staff need to work with the kid. He's still young. He needs to put 100% of his focus on rushing the QB. He could be one of those 5 year guys. Like Perry and Claiborne last year. It takes some kids longer to put it all together. I'm kinda interested in this

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'm assuming Mingo is gonna be a special team contributor for the most part. He's gonna have to earn any and all playing time he gets.

As it stands, Simon and Sheard and probably our OLB's right now. But lets see what else happens.

We'll draft a couple too. Our 1st rounder should be starting next to one of Simon or Sheard. With the other and a 2nd-3rd rounder plus Mingo.

15 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We'll draft a couple too. Our 1st rounder should be starting next to one of Simon or Sheard. With the other and a 2nd-3rd rounder plus Mingo.

Without trading down the only edge guys who I'd want the Colts to go after in round 1 Barnett and Thomas and I think there's a good chance they're both gone by our pick and if so I'd prefer the best CB ILB or S. 

Bleacher Report posted an article on their website this morning stating their opinion that they feel the most likely landing spot for Dontari Poe IS THE COLTS. I know the name but anybody got an opinion about this guy ?....It did state that he has an appointment with the Colts front office.

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

Bleacher Report posted an article on their website this morning stating their opinion that they feel the most likely landing spot for Dontari Poe IS THE COLTS. I know the name but anybody got an opinion about this guy ?....It did state that he has an appointment with the Colts front office.

I don't think so.

I feel that Mingo might have some value guarding RBs and playing in coverage on 3rd downs. I know he is a pass rusher that is incredibly athletic but so far in his career he has shown no transfer of his college talent to the pro scene in terms of pass-rush. Sure he could break out this year but I wouldn't depend on it.

For now, I see him as a heavy ST players who gets some reps here and there pass rushing. Though to be honest, him in coverage at ILB on 3rd downs doesn't seem to be a terrible idea. 

Ballard has already replenished our OLB corps by signing players who are entering their prime years and presumably ready to take on larger roles.  

Now if he could just build this elusive monster by re-signing Butler, signing Poe, drafting Foster, trading a 6th for Mychal and drafting a CB in 2 (Tabor, Jones) then we'd be set.  Without question Ballard has already opened up a lot of opportunities outside of collecting broken down Eagles and Ravens.  I like him.

2 hours ago, masnerj said:

I feel that Mingo might have some value guarding RBs and playing in coverage on 3rd downs. I know he is a pass rusher that is incredibly athletic but so far in his career he has shown no transfer of his college talent to the pro scene in terms of pass-rush. Sure he could break out this year but I wouldn't depend on it.

For now, I see him as a heavy ST players who gets some reps here and there pass rushing. Though to be honest, him in coverage at ILB on 3rd downs doesn't seem to be a terrible idea. 

Mingo has done well in the past playing spy. It make me sick that so many times running backs have abused us over the middle

Our LB'ers will be asked to read and react. They are simplifying the  assignments our defense this coming season. Mingo has a crazy vertical jump. Could be asked to play outside or inside depending on the opponent each week. Simon OLB as well as Sheard. 

From Yahoo sports........

Poe visiting the Colts

Mar 11, 2017 12:00 AM                                        This report from CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora would make it seem like the Kansas City Chiefs aren't in the mix for free agent Dontari Poe. La Canfora says Poe has a free agent visit planned with the Colts. I guess we will see what happens . They seem to be going after LB's..........GO COLTS.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't think what? That BR has an opinion or that the Colts might land him?

That the colts might land him.

Why do I think so?

It's too risky for Ballard, if he doesn't do well in our scheme it's double jepoardy. 

1.) He will be blamed for overpaying a FA who is overhyped.

2.) He will be blamed more than any other GM who would've done the same thing because he was part of the Chiefs organization. He's supposed to have more insight on Poe than any other GM. It's simply too risky.

And on a side note, Ballard already knows what he offers. And if he hasn't been signed yet, I just don't see it happening. 

Edit: However, that does go the other way. The fact that he does know more about him than other GM's could support the idea of him signing. I would like Poe on the team. However if Poe doesn't workout here I think Ballard takes a hit 2x over.

14 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Yes, Jackson played much better than Morrison

.....But wasn't very good himself.... not saying with some time he won't get better as he did show some flashes of good play.  Both are hard hitters, I will give them that much for sure.  They just need more work.

Remember the signing of Alex Bazzie (the uber productive CFL LB) - at 228 lbs I'm guessing he may be slotted as an ILB as well. That's a pretty decent pass rusher up the middle as well. Now that was his combine weight - I think he was listed at 240ish in the CFL Perhaps he sticks at OLB and adds to that depth/competition thats being built by Ballard (even though he was Grigson's last dying act with the Colts).

7 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

Just a decent group. Hate to be a realist, but just a decent group

Decent is an upgrade already!  Anything better than decent is icing on the cake for me as a fan. Just knowing we have linebackers on our squad that are used to lining up against Hoodie/Brady offenses(In weekly practices) has me excited. And nothing wrong with being realistic. :)

We are looking at Minter hopefully we sign him. I really wanted Hodges. I think he's better vs the run and very underrated vs the pass. Maybe we get both. The draft isn't great at ILB. I don't see Foster falling to 15. I really like what Ballard is doing. 

As far as ILB goes on the roster. We have 2 small school guys from last season Luke Rhodes William & Mary came in at the end of the year. I liked him in the draft he's athlete who can cover. A surprise cut by TB. Deon Jones Norfolk St won about every award you can think of his senior year in FCS.  He had a 163 tackles as a Sr. Both needed time to adjust to the step up in competition. We will see what we have when camp gets here.

We know about Jackson and Morrison. I am not a Morrison fan. He's easily the least athletic of the group. If we bring in 2 players at ILB I could see him miss the 53 man.  Geathers could play a role in that too.