Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Retooling the LB group and Monachino

Mr. Irrelevant

We are obviously in total rebuilding mode regarding the LB group which was much needed. While we just released D’Qwell Jackson and so far didn’t bring back Walden, McNary or Cole, the clean house began even before GM Ballard. 

Moore and Irving got the boot during the season, which was surprising to me, so maybe DC Monachino and Ballard are now trying to retool the group to fit a new philosophy. Sheard and Simon can both stop the run and rush the passer (to some extent anyway) so I get still feeling about going for flexibility. 

I remember Monachino talking about making things less complicated, playing more on instinct – I assume the point is that players could then react more quickly to a change instead of being paralyzed by a game plan that didn't work as expected. 

We also has issues with ILB’ers who couldn't drop back into coverage, or was only good at one thing. Maybe – and this is just me dreaming out loud – the plan is to create a LB group that is very flexible and can stop the run, rush the passer or drop into coverage more readily as needed on third down. A lot of jack of all trades, master at none. More difficult to game plan offensively against. Does this line of thought make any sense to you? 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I assume that he's going to give him young LBs to mold at WILL and Mike. I wouldn't be shocked if we traded back and drafted a guy like Zach Cunningham or Hassan Reddick in the 1st. Maybe grab another one at some point in the draft too.

Cunningham is very raw. I see him as a day 2 guy but he could go late 1. To me there are two studs in the first at ILB in Foster/Reddick that could be in play for us. I agree I think we draft multiple corners and multiple LBs.

this was expected from the start. I mentioned the first thing we needed to do was re-vamp the LB corp because we were too old in that position. jackson walden mathis and cole averaged an age of 34 which is horrible. still need to work on the inside though unless we plan on playing with edwin and morrison and/or rookies

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

this was expected from the start. I mentioned the first thing we needed to do was re-vamp the LB corp because we were too old in that position. jackson walden mathis and cole averaged an age of 34 which is horrible. still need to work on the inside though unless we plan on playing with edwin and morrison and/or rookies

Yes, i bet Ballard has big plans for Morrison and Jackson.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Cunningham is very raw. I see him as a day 2 guy but he could go late 1. To me there are two studs in the first at ILB in Foster/Reddick that could be in play for us. I agree I think we draft multiple corners and multiple LBs.

Yup. Wouldn't surprise me to see them rotate every other pick. CB one round and then LB next. Ballard definitely realizes that LB needs to be upgraded. He doesn't want to reach on an edge rusher so he's using FA to upgrade there. The draft is where he'll get ILBs.

I really wish we had a shot at Reuben Foster.

The Colts need a someone who can fill holes and open up lanes and Dontari Poe is that guy.

The Colts need that presence in the middle. A three down guy who can shut down the run and cover as well. I'm not sure the last time we ever had someone that could do it all.

Cato June was a safety who reverted into a LB and had solid cover skills. I remember Marcus Washington and Mike Peterson being pretty solid. But since being a fan since 94'.. I can't recall us ever having someone who could do everything. I was young, but no one is coming to mind right now.

1 hour ago, Rick_Grimes said:

The Colts need a someone who can fill holes and open up lanes and Dontari Poe is that guy.

The Colts need that presence in the middle. A three down guy who can shut down the run and cover as well. I'm not sure the last time we ever had someone that could do it all.

Cato June was a safety who reverted into a LB and had solid cover skills. I remember Marcus Washington and Mike Peterson being pretty solid. But since being a fan since 94'.. I can't recall us ever having someone who could do everything. I was young, but no one is coming to mind right now.

We do have a shot. He has some injury concerns and the combine incident.

1 hour ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Don't forget about Hightower.  If we get Poe tomorrow who's to say we don't bring him in.  Everyone assumes he is going back to the Pats but it hasn't happened yet.  He is watching the Pats making all of these moves with another defensive signing today. They are paying other players.  Why not him? If I were him I would be pretty angry knowing they think he can't get an offer they can't match so they will wait it out.  He might just say enough is enough with their cheap games.  If they don't value him enough to pay him maybe he turns the tables and signs with the Colts!  He can play the game too. 

If we got foster, our LB core might be better than average overnight. Foster (although with injury and apparently attitude issues) is one of the most talent ILBs to come out in recent years and can do everything. He would certainly shore up the middle of the defense for years to come. I think that Ballard might (although I hope there will be reports of Foster dropping down people's draft boards) trade up for him. Certainly fits the type of player he wants to add to this defense. I wouldn't be opposed to it tbh, thats arguably a top 5 talent for what would be a 1st pick, 2nd and a 4th? Get him like around 10 or something.

I like Riddick but he has risen really fast in recent weeks and I tend to be wary of players that rise up draft boards like crazy around combine/pro day season. Not saying he isn't good but just something to keep in mind. 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

I would like to sign Hodges.  The draft is pretty limited at ILB. Foster could be an option after his combine. I think we need to bring in a FA. 

LB is a spot Grig's was awfull judging talent. Morrison is the only LB he drafted in 5 years that's still in the league. I don't think that will hold true much longer.  I'm not a fan of guys who can't move. 

Jackson is serviceable ideally in a back up role.  We have a lot of young guys.  It's on of the most interesting positions on the team. Geathers will get time on the inside but is he moving? Mingo can play inside. I was interested in Rhodes coming out and Deon King was crazy productive at Norfolk St 161 tackles as a SR. That's a lot of 2nd yr guys on the roster

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I would like to sign Hodges.  The draft is pretty limited at ILB. Foster could be an option after his combine. I think we need to bring in a FA. 

LB is a spot Grig's was awfull judging talent. Morrison is the only LB he drafted in 5 years that's still in the league. I don't think that will hold true much longer.  I'm not a fan of guys who can't move. 

Jackson is serviceable ideally in a back up role.  We have a lot of young guys.  It's on of the most interesting positions on the team. Geathers will get time on the inside but is he moving? Mingo can play inside. I was interested in Rhodes coming out and Deon King was crazy productive at Norfolk St 161 tackles as a SR. That's a lot of 2nd yr guys on the roster

I still think zach brown and kevin minter would be a very good combo

20 hours ago, Mr Clueless said:

It must have been a shock for Monachino coming from a Ravens LB group to the dumpster fire LB group at Colts. There was probably some disbelief there. haha

He did say half the playbook got removed because there was not the right personnel to run the D alignments they were planning  

A few random things that have come to mind based on free agent signings.........

1) We are all forgetting about Alex Bazzie (the uber productive LB from the CFL)

2) Ballard has targeted OLB's in FA in Sheard, Simon and Mingo - which is an indication that either he likes Morrison and Jackson as our ILB's OR that will be our 1st round draft pick.

3) Ballard also released our #2 CB and has not signed a FA (yet) which could indicate that is going to be our 1st Round pick

For you draftniks out there, which is a more viable option at number 15.........a sure fire start at CB or a sure fire starter at ILB?

On 3/11/2017 at 2:28 PM, richard pallo said:

Don't forget about Hightower.  If we get Poe tomorrow who's to say we don't bring him in.  Everyone assumes he is going back to the Pats but it hasn't happened yet.  He is watching the Pats making all of these moves with another defensive signing today. They are paying other players.  Why not him? If I were him I would be pretty angry knowing they think he can't get an offer they can't match so they will wait it out.  He might just say enough is enough with their cheap games.  If they don't value him enough to pay him maybe he turns the tables and signs with the Colts!  He can play the game too. 

Just read that appearently both Tennessee and the Jets were pretty convinced Hightower was set on re signing with the Pats after their visit with him. Everything seems to be pointing towards him heading back to NE and I don't know why he wouldn't.

Pride and being taken for granted. Why bother bringing him in if you think it's a waste of time?  Do him a favor and help him set his value.  Why?  Everyone is convinced he's staying with the Pats but you don't know.  I wish we could sign a NT soon then we can make a play for him. 

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I assume that he's going to give him young LBs to mold at WILL and Mike. I wouldn't be shocked if we traded back and drafted a guy like Zach Cunningham or Hassan Reddick in the 1st. Maybe grab another one at some point in the draft too.

Cunningham is massively overrated in my mind and a very poor scheme fit.

Reddick is great, has that inside/outside versatility that is very much in vogue right now, and at this point he's my top target at #15. Although after he bossed the combine I wouldn't be surprised to see him go off the board before #15. I'd be delighted if we could trade back a few and still grab him but I don't see it as likely.

There is a significant drop off in talent in draftee ILBs after Reddick imo. Cunningham may get relegated to a 4-3 WILL. Anzalone has an injury history as long as my arm. You could look at Anthony Walker Jr later on but after a pedestrian combine his stock will be all over the place.

I'd love to pair Reddick with Zach Brown. That would be a fun combo to build a defense around.  

8 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Cunningham is massively overrated in my mind and a very poor scheme fit.

Reddick is great, has that versatility inside/outside versatility that is very much in vogue right now, and at this point he's my top target at #15. Although after he bossed the combine I wouldn't be surprised to see him go off the board before #15. I'd be delighted if we could trade back a few and still grab him but I don't see it as likely.

There is a significant drop off in talent in draftee ILBs after Reddick imo. Cunningham may get relegated to a 4-3 WILL. Anzalone has an injury history as long as my arm. You could look at Anthony Walker Jr later on but after a pedestrian combine his stock will be all over the place.

I'd love to pair Reddick with Zach Brown. That would be a fun combo to build a defense around.  

There's also Raekwon McMillan and Jarrad Davis if you don't like the other guys. Davis should be available in 2nd. McMillan 2nd and maybe third. 

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There's also Raekwon McMillan and Jarrad Davis if you don't like the other guys. Davis should be available in 2nd. McMillan 2nd and maybe third. 

I had forgotten about Davis actually, although I'm not sure Davis will be there in the 2nd at our pick. I don't think he'll make it past the very early 2nd, possibly not the late 1st depending on how it all plays out.

And I don't see anything great about McMillan. I think having 2 good/great ILBs could really help us.

On 3/11/2017 at 9:16 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I'd be so happy... lol