Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has nothing to do Dalvin Cook but anybody like taquan "smoke" mizzell? Think he's the perfect change of pace "scat" back that is a great receiver and can also return kicks. Great patience good vision and has that unique skill to make almost anybody miss in the open field. I think he could be had in the 5th, hopefully he runs well at his pro day.

19 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

So who on D does everyone want at 15?

Any specific player or just any defensive player?

Who at Edge warrants a pick at 15? any edge left would be a reach.

If Foster is gone, the pick will probably be a RB, CB, or a TE.

Haason Reddick will be sitting right there for us

16 hours ago, Cynjin said:

The main reason that I do not like picking a RB in the first round is that usually the difference between a RB taken in the first round and one taken in the third round is not as great as other positions.  For example an edge rusher in the first vs an edge rusher in the third.  There are always exceptions, but in general this is true, IMO.

You can say this about any position too bad we didn't need a QB we could draft the next tom brady in the 6th round this year. You go through all the drafts ever and any position can be found in later rounds. Was Robert Mathis a 1st rnd pick? no. The reason this happens is players being judge by combine numbers over tape/football IQ. If you have good scouts and a good GM as fan you don't really have to worry about what position team picks at what round.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

Haason Reddick will be sitting right there for us

I wanted Cook before but I am all for Reddick now. ILB is very important spot on D as its usually the Captain/Leader sometimes it will be the Saftey also. But mostly its a MLB and definitley would love to have Reddick a guy who will be fast enough to keep up with WR, RB, and TE's on the Colts defense.

27 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

I wanted Cook before but I am all for Reddick now. ILB is very important spot on D as its usually the Captain/Leader sometimes it will be the Saftey also. But mostly its a MLB and definitley would love to have Reddick a guy who will be fast enough to keep up with WR, RB, and TE's on the Colts defense.

I love Reddick,  but just to be clear about hm,  he's not a MLB.    That would've been the spot played by DQ Jackson,  and he's not filling that spot.

Reddick would play the ILB, WILL backer that was played by Jerrell Freeman for about four years for the Colts.  

Some like Reddick as a pass rushing OLB,  but I don't think he's quite that type of player.   I think you get the most out of him inside,  rather than outside.

18 hours ago, jet1968 said:

There is 11 defensive positions and 4 offensive positions needing upgraded before running back. I understand best player available but there is also best defensive player available 

I'm afraid to ask,  but what positions on OFFENSE need upgrades before running back?

I look forward to your answer.......    

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm afraid to ask,  but what positions on OFFENSE need upgrades before running back?

If we are looking for immediate upgrade it's probably RT and/or RG, but since we have young pieces we are trying to develop there already, I think RB is really the biggest need we have on Offense.

Just now, stitches said:

If we are looking for immediate upgrade it's probably RT and/or RG, but since we have young pieces we are trying to develop there already, I think RB is really the biggest need we have on Offense.

Even if I'm willing to grant that RG and RT need upgrading (and I'm not there yet)  what are the OTHER two spots before RB?

Because the poster claims there are four....

THIS,  I gotta hear........

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Anyone in a wheel chair could get through the running lanes the Dallas's O-line cleared.

The Dallas o-line is legit, but are you saying that you're of the opinion that Zeke is average or below average?

Because I think I could find a laundry list of respected NFL personnel/scouts that would disagree with that notion.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if I'm willing to grant that RG and RT need upgrading (and I'm not there yet)  what are the OTHER two spots before RB?

Because the poster claims there are four....

THIS,  I gotta hear........

Oh, I agree. Our offense is generally OK(personnel-wise, I'd like to see a bit of a change of scheme, but oh well). You might argue we need a second/first TE. Would you be mad if we drafted OJ Howard at 15?

@stitches @NewColtsFan while we have serviceable and developmental players throughout the roster, there are only three guys I see that are truly safe: Luck, TY, and Kelly. 

This isn't to say we should replace everyone else. Just that when the draft comes I wouldn't let anyone on the roster dictate who I draft. 

For example: having Geathers wouldn't stop me from drafting a safety. Having AC wouldn't stop me from grabbing Bolles, etc

2 hours ago, zibby43 said:

The Dallas o-line is legit, but are you saying that you're of the opinion that Zeke is average or below average?

Because I think I could find a laundry list of respected NFL personnel/scouts that would disagree with that notion.

Where did I say that Zeke is average or below?

17 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Is this even accurate, though. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I feel I've read things and seen charts that show RB success rates of 1st round RBs over other rounds is still fairly in line with the success rates of other positions. Like I said, I'm not really taking sides here but every time I see the statement in your quote I wonder if it's just an assumption or if it actually hold weight. Anyone have any stats on this?

It is a subjective opinion to be sure, it is not all based on stats.  I for instance would value a pass rusher's ability to pressure the Qb more than Rb's ability to get a run of 15+ yards.  Part of that opinion is due to pass rusher's ability is generally not reliant on other players on the team, it is more of an individual talent.  A Rb is very reliant on the OL's ability to block.  There are exceptions, but IMO I would go with other positions if the draft grade is close.

9 hours ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

You can say this about any position too bad we didn't need a QB we could draft the next tom brady in the 6th round this year. You go through all the drafts ever and any position can be found in later rounds. Was Robert Mathis a 1st rnd pick? no. The reason this happens is players being judge by combine numbers over tape/football IQ. If you have good scouts and a good GM as fan you don't really have to worry about what position team picks at what round.

Well I did write that there were exceptions.  I am not sure how you got all of the rest from what I posted.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not that I agree, but the only way I can see him coming up with 4 players is:

3 OL & TE...

4 OL... 

Maybe 2 OL + 1 WR + 1 TE... 

?? Not sure...  he hasn't answered and I am curious as well. 

On 3/11/2017 at 4:44 PM, ty4atd said:

Then how will they afford Romo if they trade for him? Houston has a D so they are a QB away from real Superbowl contenders year in and out. Since the Colts already have a top 5 QB in Luck they either need a good D to be real contenders or hope for a fluke 06 post-season where they go on a hot streak, and play like a good D.

Taking Cook would help the O but the D needs it more, with Luck, TY, and at least 3/5 of the line set for the future the O just needs complimentary pieces to be very good. The D has no stars no real difference makers, at least the old Colts Ds had Freeney and Mathis and Bethea and Sanders (when healthy). It just needs the help more and there should be a few guys we could take to help it out and still get great value. Obviously most of these players will be gone but Garrett, Allen, Barnett, Foster, Adams, Hooker, Lattimore, Humphrey, Jones, Thomas, Charlton, Jackson, Tabor or Wilson would all be better picks than Cook.   

The Bears that year had the best defense in the league. Don't ever down play our SB win. 

On 3/12/2017 at 4:14 AM, NewColtsFan said:

RG, RT, second Tight End, and possibly receiver. Receiver might be stretching it a bit but the first three definately could and should be upgraded before running back. Gore has 1-2 more good years in him. 1000 yard running back last year, when was the last time that happened?  Granted running back needs an upgraded but NOT before the before mentioned

Whether we draft him or not, we all know he's a good runningback. How great of a rb is unknown. He hasn't played a down in the NFL. Keep in mind too that its not about one particular player (unless its the QB) when playing the game, it's about how you use him and his talents. Ask yourself this "If the Colts drafted Cook in the 1st round, would you still be a fan? Or, would you beat a dead horse and jump ship?"

He's a good player. If we draft him in the 1st, trade up to get him...whatever. I'll be ok with it. I love my Colts

12 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

Old as heck Gore just got 1000 behind our line

It took like 300 carries to get to a 1000.

We were last in rushes for 20 yards or more,4, and Luck had 3 of them.

Now about our needs on offens. RB by far is first.

We have questions with our Tackles.

We need a TE to replace Allen.

And a big body WR would be nice. Ballard agrees since he tried to get Jeffries. Maybe a receiving TE fills 2 needs?

27 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Yes, but old as heck Frank Gore > Darren McFadden... easily.

So you honestly think the Colts and Cowboys O-Lines are comparable?

No, but I do think our line is good enough at run blocking that an Ezikeil Elliot type back would do plenty to help our team control the clock and grind out some wins when Luck wasn't having his best day

2 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

No, but I do think our line is good enough at run blocking that an Ezikeil Elliot type back would do plenty to help our team control the clock and grind out some wins when Luck wasn't having his best day

Understood.  I don't disagree that a good back is beneficial, just that this team would benefit a lot more by having a great defender on any of the 3 levels of the D instead of a great back on an already top 10 offense.  I'm also not sure Cook is on Zeke's level, though I'm no scout.

I'm all for Cook but, as I said before, he needs to be someone that you feel is going to be a stud and one of the players you build around on offense...more Ezikeil Elliot than Melvin Gordon.  I'm not sure that Cook is that type of player, though.

Above all else, I just want to see an impactful player taken. I don't care too much what position he plays. However, I know that opinion isn't shared by most fans.

I do think that the Colts might be in a position where they have to choose between a top tier offensive prospect and less desirable defensive players. I think Forrest Lamp is more likely to create that dilemma than Dalvin Cook is, though. He seems to be a cleaner prospect than Cook. He is at the top of his position but without the off field issues that Cook has.

I still think the Colts are more likely to take a defensive player in round 1. It will be interesting to see which prospects rise and fall over the next several weeks. The first round should become clearer as the draft gets closer.

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

Understood.  I don't disagree that a good back is beneficial, just that this team would benefit a lot more by having a great defender on any of the 3 levels of the D instead of a great back on an already top 10 offense.  I'm also not sure Cook is on Zeke's level, though I'm no scout.

While I agree that defense is for sure needed and I generally agree that our first pick should be defense I feel like the argument that our offense is top ten and therefore we should go defense is weak. It basically amounts to Luck is top ten, not our offense in my opinion, and when he is off, we lose. Only two things help that, a strong D, or a strong run game...so while I tend to be in the D category myself I do understand why some want the RB in the first and feel they do have a sound argument to support their choice...it's really a matter of personnel preference to me..as long as it's not a wideout...we should be good either way we go. 

2 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

While I agree that defense is for sure needed and I generally agree that our first pick should be defense I feel like the argument that our offense is top ten and therefore we should go defense is weak. It basically amounts to Luck is top ten, not our offense in my opinion, and when he is off, we lose. Only two things help that, a strong D, or a strong run game...so while I tend to be in the D category myself I do understand why some want the RB in the first and feel they do have a sound argument to support their choice...it's really a matter of personnel preference to me..as long as it's not a wideout...we should be good either way we go. 

I get where you're coming from.  I'm on record as saying that I wouldn't have a "Phillip Dorsett reaction" on draft day if we did end up going Cook or Fournette, and would ultimately be ok with it, but I'd really prefer to get this defense going.  So sounds like we're on the same page here.  My only other comment in regards to the when Luck is off we lose statement is that stat where we're undefeated when keeping opponents under 19 points.  That's a strong indicator that a good defense would benefit this particular team a lot, lol.

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

I get where you're coming from.  I'm on record as saying that I wouldn't have a "Phillip Dorsett reaction" on draft day if we did end up going Cook or Fournette, and would ultimately be ok with it, but I'd really prefer to get this defense going.  So sounds like we're on the same page here.  My only other comment in regards to the when Luck is off we lose statement is that stat where we're undefeated when keeping opponents under 19 points.  That's a strong indicator that a good defense would benefit this particular team a lot, lol.

Agreed, but also points to the fact that when Luck is off (doesn't break 21pts) we lose. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It took like 300 carries to get to a 1000.

We were last in rushes for 20 yards or more,4, and Luck had 3 of them.

Now about our needs on offens. RB by far is first.

We have questions with our Tackles.

We need a TE to replace Allen.

And a big body WR would be nice. Ballard agrees since he tried to get Jeffries. Maybe a receiving TE fills 2 needs?

It took 260 carries. Gore was sitting at just under 4 ypc, which is in line with the likes of Gordon, Blount, Hill and Stewart. For RBs with 250+ carries his ypc ranks 9th in the league. Even if you go down to RBs with only 200+ carries he is still only 14th in ypc.

Thats not bad for having an inexperienced o line in front of him, and different lineups every week. 

I think our RB need is greatly exaggerated. At most we need a quick guy behind gore that can make those long runs that gets 5 carries a game. Either a mid round pick in the draft and/or maybe kick the tires on a guy like andre ellington, who on limited reps averaged 6.4 ypc in 2015. He had a rough 2016, but talk to him about why, maybe call up Arians and have a chat about him as well. 

On 3/12/2017 at 1:49 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I love Reddick,  but just to be clear about hm,  he's not a MLB.    That would've been the spot played by DQ Jackson,  and he's not filling that spot.

Reddick would play the ILB, WILL backer that was played by Jerrell Freeman for about four years for the Colts.  

Some like Reddick as a pass rushing OLB,  but I don't think he's quite that type of player.   I think you get the most out of him inside,  rather than outside.

ILB=MLB...

On 3/14/2017 at 7:51 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Not in a 3-4 defense where there are two inside linebackers.

One is the MIKE,  or middle linebacker.

One is the WILL, or weak side inside backer.

So calling one left inside linebacker (LILB) and one right inside linebacker (RILB) or MLB1 and MLB2 or just ILB compared to MIKE and WILL is incorrect? Nope. There is no magic to it your best ILB play at MIKE and your 2nd best is WILL. If we had brandon marshall last yr Jackson would of played at the will. So if in drafting reddick he happens to be the best ILB that is where he will play in Jacksons spot. I guess according to you the NFL does it wrong http://www.nfl.com/players/search?category=team&filter=2200&playerType=current

8 hours ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

So calling one left inside linebacker (LILB) and one right inside linebacker (RILB) or MLB1 and MLB2 or just ILB compared to MIKE and WILL is incorrect? Nope. There is no magic to it your best ILB play at MIKE and your 2nd best is WILL. If we had brandon marshall last yr Jackson would of played at the will. So if in drafting reddick he happens to be the best ILB that is where he will play in Jacksons spot. I guess according to you the NFL does it wrong http://www.nfl.com/players/search?category=team&filter=2200&playerType=current

Goodness.....

Yes,  calling one the left and one the right is wrong.     Because it doesn't matter if they're left or they're right.

What matters is whether one is the MIKE and one is the WILL.     They're NOT the same position.      One is the middle linebacker and the other in a 3-4 is the Weakside inside backer.     That guy is going to try and deal with tight ends and running back out of the backfield.     That was the Jerrell Freeman position for the Colts for 4 years.        Freeman wasn't the middle linebacker or MIKE.      He was the WILL.

As far NFL.com is concerned....    I spent 30 years working for the media....  20 of them covering sports.   And when a media outlet breaks down a position like linebacker,   they do NOT get that technical as to who is the MIKE and who is the WILL.      They keep it simple and call them inside linebackers.    They do not break it down further.

Just like when they do outside backers they don't break it down to strong side and weak side or pass rush and setting the edge.     They just call them both OLB.

The only way DQJ would ever NOT be the MIKE is if there was a better one and we had no one to play the WILL.      He's not a WILL backer.     He's not physically equipped to do it.      If we acquired Brandon Marshall we would've cut DQJ.       It's not a question of who is the "best" and who is "2nd best"      They have different responsibilities.     They're not interchangable.

11 hours ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2007958-nfl-101-the-basics-of-the-3-4-defensive-front

scroll down to the "3-4 Under" section and that explains the responsibilities of each player in the type of defense the Colts run.  One note...this site refers to the weakside ILB as the Jack instead of the Will.  They call the weakside OLB the Will.  Still though, it explains the different responsibilities of the Mike and Jack and base don those you'll see that each position requires a different type of skill set.