Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm curious why I see so much hate for this pick on the forums?  I agree that we need defense but, this is also a DEEP defensive draft.  I'm al for this pick because currently our running backs are Frank Gore and Fergusan.  I love frank gore and what he's been able to do but, he's going to be 34 at the start of the season and the only reason he hit 1000 yards last year was on volume.  There were somewhere between 3 and 6 runs that he got caught on that would have been touchdowns with a younger running back. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I'm curious why I see so much hate for this pick on the forums?  I agree that we need defense but, this is also a DEEP defensive draft.  I'm al for this pick because currently our running backs are Frank Gore and Fergusan.  I love frank gore and what he's been able to do but, he's going to be 34 at the start of the season and the only reason he hit 1000 yards last year was on volume.  There were somewhere between 3 and 6 runs that he got caught on that would have been touchdowns with a younger running back. 

The main reason that I do not like picking a RB in the first round is that usually the difference between a RB taken in the first round and one taken in the third round is not as great as other positions.  For example an edge rusher in the first vs an edge rusher in the third.  There are always exceptions, but in general this is true, IMO.

13 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

The main reason that I do not like picking a RB in the first round is that usually the difference between a RB taken in the first round and one taken in the third round is not as great as other positions.  For example an edge rusher in the first vs an edge rusher in the third.  There are always exceptions, but in general this is true, IMO.

^ This. Then you add in his mediocre combine numbers and his off the field concerns. He's not even on my board in the 1st.

i was high on taking cook, but i cooled after the combine

i could still see us grabbing him if he lasts to our pick though.   ballards comment about drafting for need vs taking someone like reggie wayne comes to mind

4 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Don't let the combine influenced you, D Cook is the real deal and besides we've stockpiled LBs here lately in the free agency.  There a lot of defensive players in the draft available also after the first round....

the combine isnt the end all be all

with that said, cooks stock fell while others rose.  the corners had a great combine

you can find RBs or defense in later rounds, that argument works both ways

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

. If Cook is there when we pick, Colts select him I wouldn't be upset. 

I would be, but if he ended up being a top 10 RB, I get over it in a hurry! I`m not a fan of taking a RB in the 1st, but if you do draft the right one, he can do a lot for your team. And not just the offense. 

7 minutes ago, a06cc said:

We all know our defense hasn't been great for years. It just needs to be serviceable. If Cook is there when we pick, Colts select him I wouldn't be upset. 

Serviceable?  I absolutely hate this opinion from colts fans.

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Serviceable?  I absolutely hate this opinion from colts fans.

Yes I said "serviceable". When we won the SB in 06 that defense didn't exactly have world beaters except Bob Sanders. Remember that Jags game that season? I'm  Colts never had a defense throughout it's history. I absolutely hate the lack of research from a Colts fan. 

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

our team needs have changed too

we are pretty bare at ILb and CB.  RB can wait

we have to really kill this draft, or we wont be a playoff team.  especially if the texans get romo

haha Romo...I'm not that scared. He'll likely be one big hit away from being injured again, nothing against the guy but let's be honest. Chances are probably alot better than not that he doesn't make it through the whole season.  

6 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

No point taking a star RB and then giving him 10 carries a game because our defense still can't stop anyone.

If were set on D then sure. We are not.

A defensive player at 15 isn't going to be a miracle worker. We aren't one player away from having an unstoppable defense. Drafting a RB early wouldn't hurt us.. If we can get Luck a RB game and score more.. then that would force our opponents to play from behind. If we can't run the ball.. we can't control the clock. I think getting a std RB for Luck is just as important as getting defensive help.

3 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Yes I said "serviceable". When we won the SB in 06 that defense didn't exactly have world beaters except Bob Sanders. Remember that Jags game that season? I'm  Colts never had a defense throughout it's history. I absolutely hate the lack of research from a Colts fan. 

Yeah and we were lucky to play the bears it's embarrassing how all our fan base is content with a "serviceable" we need to be building a top 5 D I'm sick of never having a championship defense 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah and we were lucky to play the bears it's embarrassing how all our fan base is content with a "serviceable" we need to be building a top 5 D I'm sick of never having a championship defense 

We're not getting a top 5 defense ever. Not happening over night. They need to create turnovers. Anything in the top 15 is fine with me.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The Colts were pretty fortunate to win the SB in 2006. I think the Bears were probably the NFC`s worst and weakest representative ever for a SB.  

20 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Then you remember the defense played over its head during much of that playoff run?  But thanks for the history lesson.

If you've got a top level quarterback you shouldn't need to surround them with superstars. They should be able to raise the performance standard of average players. You should be able to be creative.

On the other side of the ball if you can give your  exceptional quarterback a very good defense then you're on the right lines to be successful on my view.

Kind of a moot point really tbh. Does anyone seriously think Dalvin is there at #15?

49ers (#2), Jags (#4), Jets (#6), Panthers (#8), Browns (#1&12) & Eagles (#14) are all in the market for a stud RB.

I'm thinking the odds are pretty slim that he's there. Even McCaffrey has been getting a lot of top 20-25 attention.

We need an ILB, OLB, CB#2 and preferably another Safety before I'd even look at RB.

There will always be a sexy offensive skill position player available but when we are essentially rebuilding the entire defense for the ground up, that's not a good time to take him imho.

12 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

A defensive player at 15 isn't going to be a miracle worker. We aren't one player away from having an unstoppable defense. Drafting a RB early wouldn't hurt us.. If we can get Luck a RB game and score more.. then that would force our opponents to play from behind. If we can't run the ball.. we can't control the clock. I think getting a std RB for Luck is just as important as getting defensive help.

The issue IS that one player wont help our defense, so we have to put as many resources as possible into it over the next few years, because there are going to be picks that dont work out. If we use a top pick on a rb, it could set the defense back another year, in what is already a multi year rebuild. 1st round picks dont have a great success rate, but they have the highest success rate in the NFL, even higher than free agents. If we are committed to building a defense, then we have to actually attempt to get players in. 1st round picks are our best chance at success, specifically top 15 picks, which i doubt we will be seeing much of in the next few years. 

I dont want to waste a rare high pick for us on an injury prone fumble machine with off field issues just because our 12th ranked rusher is in his 30s. I would get it if he was a once in a generation rb, like Zeke or Peterson, but he definitely isnt. 

Our team isnt based on running the ball. Regardless of who we have, we run a set amount of times per year. Even when we thought we had a stud in Richardson, we still didnt run 20 times a game. Its not going to change as long as our coaches are here. Why waste a 1st round pick on a position our offense doesnt use to its potential?

The fact of the matter is, there will be an excuse to take an offensive player in the first every year. Next yr it will be a te because we need a better replacement for Allen, the year after it will be a replacement for Costanzo. After that another WR. Where does it end? We have to bite the bullet and just build this defense already!! 

Are there not already 5 threads on this? Either way I would not be happy with the pick at 15. And I'm confident he won't be the best RB out of this class especially if he goes to us. This RB class is way too deep so the probability of him being the best is slim. The defensive positions are also deep, but they are frontloaded and there's a huge drop off after the early rounds. I bet we could get a good RB with one of our 4ths

3 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Kind of a moot point really tbh. Does anyone seriously think Dalvin is there at #15?

49ers (#2), Jags (#4), Jets (#6), Panthers (#8), Browns (#1&12) & Eagles (#14) are all in the market for a stud RB.

I'm thinking the odds are pretty slim that he's there. Even McCaffrey has been getting a lot of top 20-25 attention.

I think it's likely Cook is there at 15.  Average combine, fumbles, injury concern, maybe some character issues.  Throw in his low positional value.....yeah.