Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dontari Poe scheduled to visit

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Sign Poe, Zach Brown, and Claiborne and we'll be sitting pretty.

I like this.  Imagine that LB corps now!  

With Poe on the line with Langford, Anderson....Brown on the end and Claiborne at CB-sounds like a pretty solid Defense.   We could draft Cook in Rd 1 if we did this and a Guard in Round 2, and then draft pass rush in Rd. 3.  

27 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

On a one year prove it deal....south of 10,000.00 guaranteed...I hope it gets done.  I also hope he passes the physical after signing....

Assumng he is s valuable piece, I'd much prefer a two or three year deal.  Rather have a solid, signed core than be scrambling every year. :)

Huh. I'm not sure how I feel about this honestly.

When he's healthy, he's a beast. True NT, one of the best in the biz. Can stop the run, plug up the middle and take on a few extra blockers. 

On the other hand, he really hasn't been the same since his rookie year (or at least he hasn't exploded the way we thought he would). Also those back issues really affected him last year, presumably. 

If the Colts really want him, I'm sure they could get a deal done by Sunday. But there has to be a reason why no one else has signed him yet.

They'd better be cautious.  

Hmmm, I wonder ... any bets the bringing him in is all about having the medical staff give him the go over, and then if that checks out, sign him, but if things don't check out, it's on to the next team for a visit for Poe?

Super encouraging that it looks like the Colts will get first crack at him.   Like someone previously mentioned, though, if he comes, but then leaves without being signed, I will assume there is a good reason for that, so it's all good. Just love that it looks like we got first dibs.

He's missed 2 games in his 5 year career. He's still young and is a big body that has to be accounted for in the middle which will help the linebackers out. Not sure what there isn't too like? He has back issues, I get it but he didn't miss a game last season. The guy is a 350 pounder that can wreak havoc at NT.

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

What's the deal with his back? What kind of procedure did he undergo?

This is what I've been trying to find out as well. Has he actually had a procedure done to his back? Is this a new, fresh issue or has he had recurring back problems?

Anybody have any details?

3 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

This is what I've been trying to find out as well. Has he actually had a procedure done to his back? Is this a new, fresh issue or has he had recurring back problems?

Anybody have any details?

I am not sure but he didn't miss any games last season so it must not be too bad.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Ballard wants him, and the Colts get a visit with him, then he's ours. It just depends on how much Poe wants for a contract. He's someone I actually don't have a dollar figure on as of now.

Agreed. Been surprised by many of the signings so far. Thought Pryor and Jeffery would get big contracts. Honestly I even thought  Williams would get 12/13 million per year. He didn't even get 11. Wouldn't be surprised if w got him for 8 or 9 million a year. 

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

OK, microdiscectomy is not that bad.  Had one myself.  They basically make about a 1 inch incision and just scrape out the disc that has herniated.  However, it is prone to re-rupture at some point.  It's entirely possible he may need another one, if not now, at some point.  But at least with a micro procedure your recovery time is merely weeks and not months.  I feel better about that now unless it has gotten worse, or if he has nerve damage extending to one of his legs.  But I trust the Colts training staff and docs will find that out.

Just now, Colts1324 said:

Agreed. Been surprised by many of the signings so far. Thought Pryor and Jeffery would get big contracts. Honestly I even thought  Williams would get 12/13 million per year. He didn't even get 11. Wouldn't be surprised if w got him for 8 or 9 million a year. 

I would be fine with 8-9 million for Poe. That'd be a nice signing for us. I would of rather got Brandon Williams for the $10 million dollar deal for 4-5 years, but Poe is amazing IF healthy, and Ballard has ties to him, so it's possible we get him at 8-9 million. Glad we didn't take a WR, honestly. So far, the signings are good. Sheard made it a lot better, obviously.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I worry more about how it sounds like he just has kind of regressed since his rookie season.

Maybe a 1 year deal is in order? or 2 years. Nothing long term. Ballard would know if he is damaged goods though but he seems durable only missing 2 games his whole career and missed none last season.

I do believe Ballard is Focusing on Defense in the early stages in Free Agency with quality players.  This way he'll have most of the pieces together and draft one or two more blue chip defensive players, since the draft is deep on the defensive side....This means, "Welcome to Indy, D Cook"

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe a 1 year deal is in order? or 2 years. Nothing long term. Ballard would know if he is damaged goods though but he seems durable only missing 2 games his whole career and missed none last season.

Yeah, I won't complain if we sign him. He still sounds like a guy who commands a double team and that would be awesome in itself.

2 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

I do believe Ballard is Focusing on Defense in the early stages in Free Agency with quality players.  This way he'll have most of the pieces together and draft one or two more blue chip defensive players, since the draft is deep on the defensive side....This means, "Welcome to Indy, D Cook"

I am glad we have 6 picks in the first 144 overall selections. Ballard has a lot to work with.

5 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Maybe in the 2nd otherwise hard pass

7 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Yeah,   being relatively quiet in free agency means drafting a rb in the first.   I think you're trying too hard

9 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

I think he is wanting one of the corners or safeties in the draft personally. Too good of talent to pass up. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Ballard wants him, and the Colts get a visit with him, then he's ours. It just depends on how much Poe wants for a contract. He's someone I actually don't have a dollar figure on as of now.

Haven't heard what he's looking for but, I've heard a lot of teams want to give him a one year deal.  Had a down year last year after his back surgery. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

If we do draft Dalvin Cook in the 1st, you have to start a thread apologizing to gacoop. Fair enough? :thmup:

I won't be thrilled with the pick.  Not because cook isn't good,  But the shelf life for rb is typically short.  I don't like drafting first round backs.    But who am I.  

15 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

:wall:

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I won't be thrilled with the pick.  Not because cook isn't good,  But the shelf life for rb is typically short.  I don't like drafting first round backs.    But who am I.  

I wouldn't like it either. I still think we will draft an rb in the 3rd or with 1 or even 2 of our 4th round picks and use a tandem next year. First 3 picks go towards defense IMO, unless McCaffrey falls to the 2nd or something crazy like that. Maybe Kamara in the 3rd. Other than that, it'll probably be a CB, an OLB, and another defensive position.

Poe is one of the best NT's in the league and was valuable to the Chiefs defense over the last few years. He'll be the best NT we've had since Anthony McFarland who was important in the superbowl run. He's only 27 and just entering his prime. I think Poe would do wonders for this defense and we should sign him to a long term deal. 

29 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Thank you. That is the information I have been looking for. This concerns me a bit. This procedure is a simple one with a quick & usually complete recovery. I've had this procedure myself however, years later because of degeneration I had to eventually undergo a 3 level fusion which is a completely different animal altogether.

His spine has been compromised simply by under going this procedure. He's a rather large man which puts added pressure on any compromised area of the back. I'm not saying he will ever have any further issues with his back. I just hope the Colts do their due diligence & have him carefully examined with an MRI or perhaps a discogram to insure the integrity of that particular disc.

1 hour ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Dontari Poe in high demand. Visits Colts Sun, JAX, ATL, OAK and MIA wants visits as well. If Indy doesn't come correct he'll be traveling

Here's the tweet, sounds like we have a golden chance to seal the deal with Poe tomorrow. Would absolutely hate to see him land in Jax.

I told my buddy earlier I doubt he gets out of the building with the Jags looking at him.