Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Analyst likes the Colts two LB Signings.....

NewColtsFan

The analyst is Bill Barnwell....    he writes for the ESPN.com website.     Covers football mostly from an analytical perspective.

He likes our signings of Sherard and Simon....     I'm going to cut and paste his write-ups....

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

DL Jabaal Sheard, Colts

Grade: B+

The Patriots got solid production out of their two years with Sheard, although the defensive lineman ceded snaps to Trey Flowers as the 2016 season went along. On 636 pass rushes over the past two seasons, Sheard generated 13 sacks and 22 quarterback knockdowns. Over that same time frame, Packers LB Nick Perry had 14.5 sacks and 20 knockdowns on 543 pass rushes for the Packers. Perry has been more productive, but he is earning $60 million over five years. Sheard is getting less than half that -- $25.5 million and $12.8 million in guarantees -- on his new three-year deal with the Colts. I'd prefer to take a shot on Sheard breaking out given more playing time than to pay Perry as a premium pass-rusher.

OLB John Simon, Colts

Some of it must have come from playing alongside J.J. Watt from 2014-15, but Simon was quietly a useful rotation pass-rusher on the edge for the Texans. He had 8.5 sacks and 21 quarterback knockdowns in the past two seasons while playing just more than 56 percent of Houston's defensive snaps. There's plenty of upside there, given that Simon is solid against the run and won't turn 27 until October. Ironically, this is the exact sort of player former Colts general manager Ryan Grigson took chances on in free agency early during the Andrew Luck era, but the difference here is price. While Grigson paid players like Ricky Jean-Francois and Greg Toler like they were already valuable starters, new general manager Chris Ballard picked up Simon for just $13.5 million over three years with $5.5 million guaranteed.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

The analyst is Bill Barnwell....    he writes for the ESPN.com website.     Covers football mostly from an analytical perspective.

He likes our signings of Sherard and Simon....     I'm going to cut and paste his write-ups....

DL Jabaal Sheard, Colts

The Patriots got solid production out of their two years with Sheard, although the defensive lineman ceded snaps to Trey Flowers as the 2016 season went along. On 636 pass rushes over the past two seasons, Sheard generated 13 sacks and 22 quarterback knockdowns. Over that same time frame, Packers LB Nick Perry had 14.5 sacks and 20 knockdowns on 543 pass rushes for the Packers. Perry has been more productive, but he is earning $60 million over five years. Sheard is getting less than half that -- $25.5 million and $12.8 million in guarantees -- on his new three-year deal with the Colts. I'd prefer to take a shot on Sheard breaking out given more playing time than to pay Perry as a premium pass-rusher.

I know virtually nothing,  But I agree with this guy completely

More on Barnwell....

I don't think he's a big fan of our roster in general.    I think he's the guy who has been giving our roster below average grades for the past two years.

He didn't love our signing of Doyle.     Gave the Colts a C+.      

He views Doyle as a JAG.      Notes that the passes he's caught only traveled less than 5 yards in the air and that might be a league low.     And yet,  he notes his catch per target rate is the highest of all receivers in the NFL.      I don't think he fully appreciates the chemistry and trust between Luck and Doyle.

But I wanted to give you the background.....

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I know virtually nothing,  But I agree with this guy completely

Sorry.....    you responded before I put in the write-up on Simon.     Think you'll like that one too.

If you want to take a look,  it's in my first post now.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry.....    you responded before I put in the write-up on Simon.     Think you'll like that one too.

I like the signings as well. Regarding the Doyle signing, the main reason why I liked that is, because the chemistry he and Andrew has. Anyone that watches the Colts closely like we do in here knows Andrew trusted TY and Doyle more than anyone in clutch situations.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree that Doyle is just a guy.   But I'm just a fan.  Ballard thinks otherwise.  I hope he can continue his success.    Chud has been making TE look good for a long time.  I'm smart enough to know,  That those in the building know far more than Mr

Sheard could break out for the Colts, barring injury the guy could get a $&@@ ton of play time for the Colts.  I really like this pickup, I'm not familiar with Simon I do like the signing from what I hear from my fellow posters on this forum and other sources.  

These are two young, solid players in their prime that have a chance to earn more starting time for the Colts than their respective previous teams.  I also even like Bark, if he can even remotely play the way he did for the Browns his rookie year............. <- bare minimum solid ST IMO....

Factor in 7 picks in the first 5 rounds and FA still going strong, I'm PUMPED!!!

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like the signings as well. Regarding the Doyle signing, the main reason why I liked that is, because the chemistry he and Andrew has. Anyone that watches the Colts closely like we do in here knows Andrew trusted TY and Doyle more than anyone in clutch situations.

:rock:

20 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Sheard could break out for the Colts, barring injury the guy could get a $&@@ ton of play time for the Colts.  I really like this pickup, I'm not familiar with Simon I do like the signing from what I hear from my fellow posters on this forum and other sources.  

These are two young, solid players in their prime that have a chance to earn more starting time for the Colts than their respective previous teams.  I also even like Bark, if he can even remotely play the way he did for the Browns his rookie year.............

What I like is we have a ROTATION of pass rushers before the draft has even started. We are weak on ILB, Corner, and Safety. But I imagine we fill grab two of those in FA and another two or three in the draft. I like where we are heading! 

8 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

What I like is we have a ROTATION of pass rushers before the draft has even started. We are weak on ILB, Corner, and Safety. But I imagine we fill grab two of those in FA and another two or three in the draft. I like where we are heading! 

this! 

11 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Only thing I saw was that Simon is 6'1. Didn't remember him being that short at Ohio State. A little short for an outside linebacker. 

I wouldn't really be worried about his height, he's probably not going to be a world beater in the end.  I think he will bring healthy competition and he's a stout 260 though.  In the end even if he could be a solid back up his ability to provide depth would be great.  Especially if they draft Barnett, Takk, Taco or a future prospect in the first.

EDIT: Not even that if, they draft an OLB in the 2nd, 3rd, ect.  Sheard should make an impact as well.  I really like what Ballard is doing, I'm going to keep saying it.  7 picks in the first 5 rounds.

10 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I wouldn't really be worried about his height, he's probably not going to be a world beater in the end.  I think he will bring healthy competition and he's a stout 260 though.  In the end even if he could be a solid back up his ability to provide depth would be great.  Especially if they draft Barnett, Takk, Taco or a future prospect in the first.

EDIT: Not even that if, they draft an OLB in the 2nd, 3rd, ect.  Sheard should make an impact as well.  I really like what Ballard is doing, I'm going to keep saying it.  7 picks in the first 5 rounds.

Yeah. I think as of right now he is the starter. And I assume he will be the starter and whoever we draft will rotate in as the "backup." 

Depth always makes productivity more efficient. Just look at how Ware becomes productive because he has younger legs in Von Miller across him and younger legs for breathers in Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett. So, adding depth behind Sheard and Simon will only make them more efficient that their numbers with limited rushes can be extrapolated to more rushes even if it is 50-100 more rushes a season. In the modern NFL, even if you are a young OLB paid $12-15 mil. a year, you still cannot be 100% effective unless you play only around 70-80% of the snaps, IMO. Otherwise, the long grind of the season will wear you out and a playoff team counting on you may not reap its rewards, IMO. Von Miller, his efficiency gets better in the 3rd and 4th qtr. and a BIG part of it is managing how he is used in the first half with breathers and the depth, IMO. 

RJF was a monumental waste because he was always a rotation guy thrust into a starter role paid somewhere in between a rotation guy and a starter guy. Toler, when healthy, was worth the money paid but it was the health that was the issue. When VD was balling, teams HAD TO throw it somewhere and it was opposite VD, so it made it seem like teams were picking on him. It wasn't like he was giving up completions like Jason David or Tim Jennings when they played for us.

I think it's disingenuous to use a 2 year time frame to make them seem comparable. Bottom line is both were in a contract year, one performed very well and would have even been even better if he didn't miss a few games. While the other folded and didn't produce. He even was said to "freelance" in a team coached by Belichick so that says something imo.  

Also the guy makes it seem like it's double the contract but that is nonsense. We're all smart enough on this forum to do basic math. Perry is making 12 mil a year avg over 5 years where as Sheard is making ~8 mil avg over 3 years. That's a pretty significant difference (1.5x the money vs 2.0x the money). I'd have gladly paid that for a guy who's proven to be an elite qb rusher in his prime vs a guy who declined in all numbers across the board/has never shown signs of being a 1A or elite pass rusher in his prime. 

I'm not stupid either, I realize we would have had to offer slightly more money to get Perry than what GB offered. I also know that interest has to be mutual between Colts and Perry. I'm not saying we could've or should've signed him.

I am just saying this comparison is not good reporting and tries to make it seem like their differences are negligibly for the money increase. 

On 3/11/2017 at 0:17 AM, NewColtsFan said:

More on Barnwell....

I don't think he's a big fan of our roster in general.    I think he's the guy who has been giving our roster below average grades for the past two years.

He didn't love our signing of Doyle.     Gave the Colts a C+.      

He views Doyle as a JAG.      Notes that the passes he's caught only traveled less than 5 yards in the air and that might be a league low.     And yet,  he notes his catch per target rate is the highest of all receivers in the NFL.      I don't think he fully appreciates the chemistry and trust between Luck and Doyle.

But I wanted to give you the background.....

The Doyle signing on its own may not be spectacular but it allowed us to jettison Allen for a mid round pick so altogether it's a little better than just resigning him. Also can you provide the link?

20 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I think it's disingenuous to use a 2 year time frame to make them seem comparable. Bottom line is both were in a contract year, one performed very well and would have even been even better if he didn't miss a few games. While the other folded and didn't produce. He even was said to "freelance" in a team coached by Belichick so that says something imo.  

Also the guy makes it seem like it's double the contract but that is nonsense. We're all smart enough on this forum to do basic math. Perry is making 12 mil a year avg over 5 years where as Sheard is making ~8 mil avg over 3 years. That's a pretty significant difference (1.5x the money vs 2.0x the money). I'd have gladly paid that for a guy who's proven to be an elite qb rusher in his prime vs a guy who declined in all numbers across the board/has never shown signs of being a 1A or elite pass rusher in his prime. 

I'm not stupid either, I realize we would have had to offer slightly more money to get Perry than what GB offered. I also know that interest has to be mutual between Colts and Perry. I'm not saying we could've or should've signed him.

I am just saying this comparison is not good reporting and tries to make it seem like their differences are negligibly for the money increase. 

Really?  I am looking at the big picture. It stands to reason that the Colts are in a rebuilding mode as far as the defense. Big name players with higher salaries just puts a strain on what money can be spent on a squad that needs help all over. This team is in need of good ball players all across the board and having enough money to make that happen is smart by Ballard.

I can't agree with your assumption that the explanation in this article is not good reporting. The homework was done by Barnwell and he made sense in his explanation.

12 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I give Barnwell an A on his grading of Sheard and Simon but a D on his Grading of Doyle

Agreed Doyle is a true pro and work ethic second to none . He does everything asked then some and will continue his success .

On 3/11/2017 at 1:16 AM, Colts1324 said:

Who is in this ROTATION that you speak of?    Sheard and Simon play different positions so they wont be rotationg with each other.  Even Mingo is a different position.  

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

Who is in this ROTATION that you speak of?    Sheard and Simon play different positions so they wont be rotationg with each other.  Even Mingo is a different position.  

Yes a solid ROTATION. You don't have more than two positions for OLB. We signed Sheard to be an OLB for our 3-4. There are two OLB in a 3-4. Therefore, all 3 of them can not play different positions. and don't forget we have ayers on the roster. We have our two starters in Sheard and Simon as of now. I assume Mingo would rotate behind Sheard at the Edge and Ayers would rotate at the SAM with Simon. 4 people is a rotation. You don't usually play third string much in a game. I think we will draft one and that will make Ayers or Mingo expendable. But that will just make for a better rotation. 

12 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Yes a solid ROTATION. You don't have more than two positions for OLB. We signed Sheard to be an OLB for our 3-4. There are two OLB in a 3-4. Therefore, all 3 of them can not play different positions. and don't forget we have ayers on the roster. We have our two starters in Sheard and Simon as of now. I assume Mingo would rotate behind Sheard at the Edge and Ayers would rotate at the SAM with Simon. 4 people is a rotation. You don't usually play third string much in a game. I think we will draft one and that will make Ayers or Mingo expendable. But that will just make for a better rotation. 

Maybe 

26 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Well mingo has 0 sacks the past two years playing 32 games and can't set an edge so I'd assume he's just going to be special teams.  I don't think he'll he part of the rotation. 

On 3/11/2017 at 0:17 AM, NewColtsFan said:

More on Barnwell....

So he knows what he is talking about.

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would be more surprised if he didn't make the finale 53.

Meant to put a quote. Whoops. If we draft two olb's I don't see him making it. We could grab someone to develop in the fourth and play Mingos special teams spot and help out in the future. Unless Mingo comes into camp and actually shows promise. Which I don't see happening

1 hour ago, Myles said:

So he knows what he is talking about.

Yeah....    except most here didn't believe it when he wrote it.

They only believe NOW after back to back 8-8 seasons and the firing of Grigson.

But when the stories came out,  the response here was overwhelmingly negative.

I think that a lot of people are discrediting Mingo for what he has or has not been able to do these last two seasons. Prior to last season no one on this forum would admit to being comfortable with Jack Doyle being our starting TE.

Why?

It's simple, due to what he has shown in previous seasons. My point is this, there is a reason we signed him, rather that be ST or not, he will get his opportunity to rush the passer. He's an OLB and that is what OLB's do. 

Keep in mind that he has the physical assets to do the job. What's missing?

I think Monachino will have fun figuring that out. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think that a lot of people are discrediting Mingo for what he has or has not been able to do these last two seasons. Prior to last season no one on this forum would admit to being comfortable with Jack Doyle being our starting TE.

Why?

It's simple, due to what he has shown in previous seasons. My point is this, there is a reason we signed him, rather that be ST or not, he will get his opportunity to rush the passer. He's an OLB and that is what OLB's do. 

Keep in mind that he has the physical assets to do the job. What's missing?

I think Monachino will have fun figuring that out. 

If you actually read between the lines last year you could see that Doyle was putting it together actually. I for one could tell he'd be a solid player and easily starting caliber with a QB like Andrew Luck to boost his level of play.