Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

George Kittle TE Iowa

Just read an article and Kittle was mentioned as a guy to watch. His numbers are very impressive to say the least -omg-

6'4" and 247 pounds

4.52 forty, 35in vertical, 11' broad jump. 

Apparently he's raw but is a very good blocking TE. Wasn't featured as a pass catcher at Iowa because of their scheme. 

I know we just resigned Doyle but I can't help but think we could use a guy like Kittle. Especially in the red zone. We'd have serious size with Doyle, Moncrief, and Kittle. 

Anybody have any insight on this guy? Thoughts or opinions?

1 minute ago, Track Guy said:

I mocked him to us in one of my off season mocks. His combine numbers were eye popping. He's a good blocker and had a terrific college career.

Just looked at a PFF article on him. He is a nasty blocker that plays with tremendous strength. When do you think he'll be drafted?

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

How is his receiving ability?

I haven't watched game film on him so this is all from scouting reports and such...

...but it appears that he is raw as a pass catcher and can struggle to separate at times. Did see him beat Sean Davis for a big gain on a Gif though. 

Theres a PFF article on him that's pretty insightful. Can't link it but it if you google his name it's right there. 

13 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Just looked at a PFF article on him. He is a nasty blocker that plays with tremendous strength. When do you think he'll be drafted?

Gonna guess 4th round. 3rd is possible, but the tight end class is actually looking pretty deep so I'll stick with 4th. 

26 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The tight end class is insanely deep in this draft. I was thinking Kittle or taking a flyer on Jake Butt would be great. Especially with the 3 4th rounders now.

Butt isn't much of a blocker is he? Regardless, this class is sooooo deep at TE

4 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Butt isn't much of a blocker is he? Regardless, this class is sooooo deep at TE

Not really but I just want a prediction I made 4 years ago to come true. When he was a freshman, my girlfriend at the time and I were watching Michigan play and were mercilessly cracking up that there was a dude named "Butt" and that he was a Tight End nonetheless. I said right then and there "Watch, Colts will draft him ".

5 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Don't need him to catch the ball need him to block Swoope and Doyle can catch just fine.

Having another big receiver would be very helpful in the red zone. Moncrief, Doyle, and Kittle could create a size mismatch against most secondaries. 

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Not really but I just want a prediction I made 4 years ago to come true. When he was a freshman, my girlfriend at the time and I were watching Michigan play and were mercilessly cracking up that there was a dude named "Butt" and that he was a Tight End nonetheless. I said right then and there "Watch, Colts will draft him ".

He is injured and could miss beginning of season.

By the time he's healthy to play, he will be behind other rookies.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Don't need him to catch the ball need him to block Swoope and Doyle can catch just fine.

Swoope has caught like 3 passes in nfl, still unproven.

Doyle was a pleasant surprise last season. But most of his catches were short zones and flats. His avg. yards per reception was low. I would like a swift vertical TE that can stretch the field. I guess that will be Swoope's job, hopefully he can handle it.

42 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

He is injured and could miss beginning of season.

By the time he's healthy to play, he will be behind other rookies.

I see what you did there.....haha

I too found it hilarious that a guy with the last name Butt was a TE, but it was weeks ago, not years. I swear I'm an adult.

Haven't watched him. I heard he was considered 6th-7th rounder or UDFA before the combine. Scouts thought he will be your typical blocking TE without much upside in the passing game ... and then he tested about as good as David Njoku. Now some are projecting his athleticism to NFL will allow him to be more than that. I'm not sure about that. I haven't watched and I haven't seen how he was used and why his production in the passing game is so mediocre(22 receptions for 314 yards and 4 TDs in 13 games this season)

37 minutes ago, Shive said:

I see what you did there.....haha

I too found it hilarious that a guy with the last name Butt was a TE, but it was weeks ago, not years. I swear I'm an adult.

I'm sure he has been the "butt" of many jokes...

I'll show myself out lol

Just a sampling of the TE Rankings for '17:

1. OJ Howard - Alabama (4.6 40-yard dash)

"He's as close to a complete tight end over the last few that have come out. He's a better blocker online than Eric Ebron and Tyler Eifert were coming out. Not as good of a route runner as either of them coming out, but I attribute most of that to how he was used. [Howard] looked pretty good at Senior Bowl since his game was able to expand a bit more in that system last week. Howard is probably faster than Eifert, and they have comparable hands. The Greg Olsen comparisons hold merit, but Howard is a much better blocker than Olsen coming out of Miami."

2. Evan Engram - Ole Miss (4.6)

"Last season, Engram illustrated that he is a dynamic receiving tight end for the NFL in the mold of Jordan Reed. Engram had excellent games against Florida State and Alabama. On the year, he totaled 65 receptions for 926 yards and eight scores."

3. Adam Shaheen - Ashland (4.58)

"Shaheen is a freak athlete whose draft stock could explode in the months to come. Shaheen is expected to be a workout warrior, but team sources say that his tape showed serious receiving ability for the next level. Even though he is tall and thick, Shaheen has freaky speed and athleticism for such a big tight end. Teams think that Shaheen could be a versatile tight end to create mismatches in the passing game."

4. Jordan Legett - Clemson (4.73)

"Leggett had 46 catches for 736 yards with seven touchdowns. He is a well-rounded tight end who looks like he has three-down potential for the NFL. Leggett is athletic with quickness and has the ability to make tough contested catches. In double-tight end situations, Leggett could be dangerous."

5. Jake Butt - UM (4.71)

"In 2016, Butt notched 46 receptions for 546 yards and four touchdowns. Some team sources have said that Butt is a solid prospect and still rate him in the top-five tight end prospects despite his knee injury that could impact his rookie season. Some sources think Butt's blocking improved over his final year. He tore some knee ligaments in his bowl game, so he could slide in the 2017 NFL Draft."

9 hours ago, BProland85 said:

A TE I like late in the draft is Jonnu Smith from Florida International. Guy reminds me a bit of Delanie Walker and could be a great pass catching TE.

Good prospect. As long as he doesn't bring his crazy girlfriend that poured boiling water on him with him. Nick Harper's wife was bad enough.

If I remember correctly from watching tevaun smith this past year Iowa is a very run heavy team  and the passing especially to the tight ends doesn't happen very often. I could see him being pretty raw at catching and running routes but I imagain he's a polished blocker *I haven't watched any film at all on him I'm basing it kinda how they run there offense*  I wouldn't be mad about a TE in the 4th