Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandin Cooks traded to the Pats!

Seriously.........? Dude I'd legit be so happy if all these Offseason moves blow up in NE face like it does with so many other teams. Especially since they're always so low key in with FA and trades. 

But they'll probably win the SB next year too. Because of course. 

15 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Seriously.........? Dude I'd legit be so happy if all these Offseason moves blow up in NE face like it does with so many other teams. Especially since they're always so low key in with FA and trades. 

I wish, but at this point I'm convinced they could take a figure skater and turn him into a solid receiver. 

27 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

cant help but admire the best at their job

They are the best on the field,   They have been average at signing free agents.   Like most every other team.    Edelman will still see the bulk of the targets.   Cooks will be clearing out the underneath by ruining go routes all day.  

59 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

They aren't usually low key.  Probably the most active top half team. They've made big moves for guys like Moss and Revis, and mid tier acquisitions aren't rare at all for them. 

4 minutes ago, wig said:

They aren't usually low key.  Probably the most active top half team. They've made big moves for guys like Moss and Revis, and mid tier acquisitions aren't rare at all for them. 

But it's rare they make this many BIG moves. Got Gillmore and now cooks whilst still nabbing their mid tier guys.

This is a great move for the Saints. Brandin Cooks has been the most overrated receiver on our team since 2014 and last year he turned into a diva. Cooks had one game where he had zero passes thrown to him after the Rams double teamed him and took him out of the game. After that game, he threw a big fit in the press demanding to have balls thrown to him, so the next game (Detroit) our game plan was to get him the ball and we ended up losing that game where our offense was shut down. Cooks was targeted over 10 times in that specific game and we didn't score 20 points as the Lions seemed to know right away we were keying on him too much. 

Cooks is a decent receiver only within in the slot. The Saints tried everything to make him a Jack of all trades type receiver like they used Colston for years, but Cooks never worked out. He's bad as a deep threat, he's even worse on end around trick run plays where he averaged a whooping 3.5 yards. His biggest problem is in coverage getting taken down by bigger defenders. If Cooks can't outrun a defender down the stretch, chances are he isn't going to catch that ball in contested man on man coverage. I don't know how NE plans to use him, but Cooks is deadly in the slot and just that. As long as they keep him there, he should be useful for them. 

The Saints made the right move, and I couldn't be happier with getting draft picks. Last year Cooks was completely outplayed by rookie Michael Thomas who showed many signs of a vintage Marques Colston. My guess is that they will move Thomas as the new #1 receiver after how impressive he was last year. Willie Snead is staying and turned out to be a great find with his blocking abilities. The only weak link in the Saints offense is tight end Coby Fleener who often drops passes, but I am hoping with the return of Curtis Johnson at receiver's coach, maybe Fleener can take a step forward this year. 

Despite criticisms to his behavior in recent times, Cooks will definitely be missed in N.O. as a fan favorite. Seen many #10 jerseys in the past year. Thanks for the memories. 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Cleveland would stoop to a new level of stupid if they gave up that much for a guy that has started 2 games!

Cleveland actually has done fine recently with their trade to Houston. They have 11 picks each in the 2017 and 2018 draft. That's 20+ picks for the next two years. Time will tell if they do something good with this, one would think they're due for some good luck eventually. 

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I actually think the saints made out on this trade.  Cooks has been ok,   But they get a first for him.    Brady hasn't been great at hitting the long ball.    

Until he got Chris hogan or did you miss this year although he did look horrible in Super Bowl throwing deep

8 minutes ago, will426 said:

Until he got Chris hogan or did you miss this year although he did look horrible in Super Bowl throwing deep

I watched this year.   Brady is losing his touch on the long ball.   But he is accurate as ever underneath.

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

Cleveland actually has done fine recently with their trade to Houston. They have 11 picks each in the 2017 and 2018 draft. That's 20+ picks for the next two years. Time will tell if they do something good with this, one would think they're due for some good luck eventually. 

Cleveland would be better off finding their own QB in the draft and developing him to their system. 

Just now, TDewar1987 said:

I am very curious to see how the Browns draft to be honest. They have the potential to be a good team if they draft good... but it's the Browns so....

They have drafted in the top ten for decades.    They need a qb.   That oline should be incredible

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

This is a great move for the Saints. Brandin Cooks has been the most overrated receiver on our team since 2014 and last year he turned into a diva. Cooks had one game where he had zero passes thrown to him after the Rams double teamed him and took him out of the game. After that game, he threw a big fit in the press demanding to have balls thrown to him, so the next game (Detroit) our game plan was to get him the ball and we ended up losing that game where our offense was shut down. Cooks was targeted over 10 times in that specific game and we didn't score 20 points as the Lions seemed to know right away we were keying on him too much. 

Cooks is a decent receiver only within in the slot. The Saints tried everything to make him a Jack of all trades type receiver like they used Colston for years, but Cooks never worked out. He's bad as a deep threat, he's even worse on end around trick run plays where he averaged a whooping 3.5 yards. His biggest problem is in coverage getting taken down by bigger defenders. If Cooks can't outrun a defender down the stretch, chances are he isn't going to catch that ball in contested man on man coverage. I don't know how NE plans to use him, but Cooks is deadly in the slot and just that. As long as they keep him there, he should be useful for them. 

The Saints made the right move, and I couldn't be happier with getting draft picks. Last year Cooks was completely outplayed by rookie Michael Thomas who showed many signs of a vintage Marques Colston. My guess is that they will move Thomas as the new #1 receiver after how impressive he was last year. Willie Snead is staying and turned out to be a great find with his blocking abilities. The only weak link in the Saints offense is tight end Coby Fleener who often drops passes, but I am hoping with the return of Curtis Johnson at receiver's coach, maybe Fleener can take a step forward this year. 

Despite criticisms to his behavior in recent times, Cooks will definitely be missed in N.O. as a fan favorite. Seen many #10 jerseys in the past year. Thanks for the memories. 

You forget that his attitude will be left at the door when he walks through the NE office, if he starts acting up BB will simply bench him. No one is more important than the team, a lot of people forget that. 

Just now, IcEWoLF said:

How that work out for the last 15+ years lol....they are inept.

Jimmy is way over rated,  Just like every other backup that the pats have had.  I'm not saying he can't be great,  But I think any qn in that system looks good

Just now, jvan1973 said:

They have drafted in the top ten for decades.    They need a qb.   That oline should be incredible

Do you think they will take one in the draft this year? I haven't been following the QB prospects much, are there any good ones worth making a potential franchise QB?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Jimmy is way over rated,  Just like every other backup that the pats have had.  I'm not saying he can't be great,  But I think any qn in that system looks good

Yeah no disrespect to Jimmy G, but I have a gut feeling it will be Brock Osweiler 2.0 if someone breaks the bank for him just because he's been with the Pats for a while.

Just now, TDewar1987 said:

Do you think they will take one in the draft this year? I haven't been following the QB prospects much, are there any good ones worth making a potential franchise QB?

It's the Brown's.  They took Johnny 8 ball in the first.   Hard to predict what they will do 

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

They would probably win the super bowl next year regardless so it's good to see them trade away some of their future.

32 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

You forget that his attitude will be left at the door when he walks through the NE office, if he starts acting up BB will simply bench him. No one is more important than the team, a lot of people forget that. 

That's a huge IF....We dealt with Cooks last year. I hope you don't have to deal with the same problems since the Pats gave up draft picks for him. I'm hoping this works out for both teams, as I can see Cooks being extremely useful to the Pats as long as he keeps his attitude in check and he remains in the slot position. 

He will be a decent receiver in the slot position and that's about it. The Saints tried everything with him in the past three years, and the slot was the only thing he excelled in. He was quite possibly, the worst punt returner we ever had, which is saying a lot for how bad our special teams have been since we lost Darren Sproles. Much is made of his jaw dropping stats, but stats do not always tell the entire story. Lance Moore and Robert Meachem put up decent stats every year in our system, and no one really knows those names outside of Saints fans. Last year, we had a rookie (Michael Thomas) break 1,000+ receiving yards and with 9 touchdowns, so Cooks stats don't tell everything. Drew Brees can push great production out of receivers. 

The Saints came out OK, regardless what many negative comments are saying. Cooks and his agent are convinced he is the next Julio Jones. Had we not traded him, we would've ended up having to pay him a massive contract after 2017 and it simply is not worth it for a diva wide receiver who complains when he don't get enough passes thrown to him. Cooks was productive at times, but not nearly as much as he was hyped up to be. Last year, he was completely out-played by rookie Michael Thomas, and Thomas is who I expect to become the Saints #1 receiver since he was phenomenal last year. 

44 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Cleveland would be better off finding their own QB in the draft and developing him to their system. 

The Browns are already hinting at cutting Brock. It was never about making him the starter, they got a draft pick out of it. 

They're looking at 22 total draft picks in the next two years. Cleveland for a change, is doing a decent job managing the draft. Let's hope they make good picks and finally make something happen. 

6 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

The Browns are already hinting at cutting Brock. It was never about making him the starter, they got a draft pick out of it. 

They're looking at 22 total draft picks in the next two years. Cleveland for a change, is doing a decent job managing the draft. Let's hope they make good picks and finally make something happen. 

Wow, that's insane.  They probably will still suck but good for them.  Now the Patriots on the other hand, they're going to be in great shape.

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Jimmy G. Isn't over rated. I am tired people comparing him to Cassel.  Cassel who never played in college and was drafted in the 7th round compared to a guy drafted in the 2nd round. Cassel had a team that was 1 win from perfection and went 11-5 while Jimmy G went 2-0 and I dare say would have been 4-0 if he had stayed healthy. Also even if he had not started last year his stock be way up because he is BETTER than any of the scrubs in this years draft. 

So ya he is probably staying in NE as this FA period made me think Brady said "I want one more ring and I am done." Thus B.B. Has gone all out to make it so.