Sign in to follow this  
JimJaime

Pats get Cook from NO

Pats get Cook and their 4th round pick for the Pats 1st and 3rd round pick.

Pats going for ring number 6 at full throttle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Pats get Cook and their 4th round pick for the Pats 1st and 3rd round pick.

Pats going for ring number 6 at full throttle.

Yeah the third and fourth were only a few picks apart so almost a wash. It's really a swap for the first. Hard to imagine Bill giving up his first rd pick without a plan to replace it....wink wink.

Just now, dgambill said:

Yeah the third and fourth were only a few picks apart so almost a wash. It's really a swap for the first. Hard to imagine Bill giving up his first rd pick without a plan to replace it....wink wink.

I thought the same thing.. with the first overall pick thebpatriots choose... lmgdao

6 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I thought the same thing.. with the first overall pick thebpatriots choose... lmgdao

I don't see Cleveland giving up Myles but certainly the 12th and maybe a couple of those seconds....after all I'm sure the Pats will do something next year to lose those. Ha

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I don't see Cleveland giving up Myles but certainly the 12th and maybe a couple of those seconds....after all I'm sure the Pats will do something next year to lose those. Ha

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Lol any other team but Cleveland and I would agree. But they can be downright dumb! Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimJaime said:

Lol any other team but Cleveland and I would agree. But they can be downright dumb! Lol

This is a new Browns organization. I like what they are doing. I mean would they have pulled that Oz trade couple years ago? Nope the past THEY would have gave up the 2nd to get him....I like what they are doing.

• Like 1

I like this move for the Pats, and the ones who know me know why I say that. :) 

Posted this in another thread regarding the trade. It's good news for New Orleans, I hope he works out for the Pats as I think they will know how to use him. 

This is a great move for the Saints. Brandin Cooks has been the most overrated receiver on our team since 2014 and last year he turned into a diva. Cooks had one game where he had zero passes thrown to him after the Rams double teamed him and took him out of the game. After that game, he threw a big fit in the press demanding to have balls thrown to him, so the next game (Detroit) our game plan was to get him the ball and we ended up losing that game where our offense was shut down. Cooks was targeted over 10 times in that specific game and we didn't score 20 points as the Lions seemed to know right away we were keying on him too much. 

Cooks is a decent receiver only within in the slot. The Saints tried everything to make him a Jack of all trades type receiver like they used Colston for years, but Cooks never worked out. He's bad as a deep threat, he's even worse on end around trick run plays where he averaged a whooping 3.5 yards. His biggest problem is in coverage getting taken down by bigger defenders. If Cooks can't outrun a defender down the stretch, chances are he isn't going to catch that ball in contested man on man coverage. I don't know how NE plans to use him, but Cooks is deadly in the slot and just that. As long as they keep him there, he should be useful for them. 

The Saints made the right move, and I couldn't be happier with getting draft picks. Last year Cooks was completely outplayed by rookie Michael Thomas who showed many signs of a vintage Marques Colston. My guess is that they will move Thomas as the new #1 receiver after how impressive he was last year. Willie Snead is staying and turned out to be a great find with his blocking abilities. The only weak link in the Saints offense is tight end Coby Fleener who often drops passes, but I am hoping with the return of Curtis Johnson at receiver's coach, maybe Fleener can take a step forward this year. 

Despite criticisms to his behavior in recent times, Cooks will definitely be missed in N.O. as a fan favorite. Seen many #10 jerseys in the past year. Thanks for the memories. 

• Like 1

thanks for that report.

If he's good in the slot maybe part of 5 wide with Edelman. Should be interesting how BB uses him.

20 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Posted this in another thread regarding the trade. It's good news for New Orleans, I hope he works out for the Pats as I think they will know how to use him. 

I am bring this over to show the forums:

http://www.blackandgoldreview.com/2016/12/05/too-many-cooks

Bored Sean Payton did seem engaged in at least one facet of the game: giving the football to Brandin Cooks as much as he could. Maybe the goal was to produce an #AngryCooks hashtag, after Cooks’s whining last week, or maybe it was all part of a Twitter slapfight with reporter Ian Rapoport. Regardless of the why, Payton’s plan for Detroit included one of those pointless Brandin Cooks end arounds (In three seasons, Cooks has averaged just five yards on these futile big play attempts; yesterday’s went for four) and produced nine Cooks air targets, resulting in seven forgettable catches for 73 dull yards.

Here’s the thing about Cooks: He’s pretty good at playing receiver, but he has failed in almost every additional role the Saints envisioned for him when they traded up to select him during the 2014 draft. Cooks is the worst punt returner the Saints have had under Sean Payton, which is saying a lot for a punt returner under Sean Payton. He brings nothing to special teams, unlike a Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles. He’s terrible in the open field — when was the last time you saw him beat a tackler in space? — so he doesn’t threaten defenses in the way Bush or Sproles could, or current wunderkind Michael Thomas does. He never produces more than the defense, or his team, gives him.

Cooks has two skills: He catches the ball well, and he runs very fast. Cooks rolled up 84 receptions and 1138 yards last year, and should be close to those numbers again when 2016 finally ends. Watching Cooks get behind a defense and outrun the world is a joy. When he does that, half a dozen or so times a year, it’s great. When he doesn’t, he catches five or six or seven routine passes and forces defenses to account for his speed. He’s fine, but he prioritizes his numbers over his role.

That’s a mistake. So long as Sean Payton and Drew Brees are Saints together, wide receivers in New Orleans will be pieces, not focal points, so despite Payton’s protests, Cooks seems destined for a trade. Or maybe Payton’s being honest, and Cooks will remain a Saint.

In that case, the Saints will have to overpay him. Like Cooks, the rest of the NFL doesn’t understand that Saints receivers are only about 75 percent as good as they seem. Expect an eventual bidding war, one the Saints may win as they seek to ease the 2018 or 2019 or 2020 transition to The Successor. So it could be a long time before the truth is revealed: Brandin Cooks may think he’s a temporarily embarrassed all-pro, but really he’s just gentrified Devery Henderson.

• Like 1

And the winner of Super Bowl 52 is.........the Patriots! Surprise, surprise, surprise:Cry: