Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts High On Charles Harris

23 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I like Lawson, but there's 4-5-6 other guys I like in the 2-3 range too.

Personally I like Lawson over Harris. But if one of T.J. Watt or Jordan Willis is on the board, I might go with them over Lawson. 

1 hour ago, weslo1812 said:

Exactly!!! The tape is what does all the talking and it don't lie. And we've already heard Ballard mention  watching tape a number of times, so I think we know what he puts the most value in.

Josh Robinson looked great on tape...

Exactly!!! The tape is what does all the talking and it don't lie. And we've already heard Ballard mention  watching tape a number of times, so I think we know what he puts the most value in.

He was my first guy I scouted. He looked liked he could be faster than freeney . So I am extremely surprised at that 40 time.

People should also consider he played AT MISSOURI in the SEC against teams like LSU AND ALABAMA AND CLEMSON and still put up 9 Sacks.

His spin move is all his rush moves are the best in the draft. Except Demarcus Walker who has the best swim move.

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I would hope Ballard would entertain trading down first before selecting him. Harris could easily be had in the late 20s. In my opinion, mastering the draft is all about scouting each player properly, and knowing their draft value. If you properly address the later, you can maneuver the draft to where you get additional picks and still get the guy you want.

Meh, that's what people said when Polian selected Freeney.  The draft can be unpredictable.  If Ballard loves him, someone else probably does too.

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Suggs is an exception to the rule. No need to reach for Harris when better defensive players will be available 

The Ravens still drafted him 10 without knowing how he would turn out but trusted the tape. Point is if you believe in the guy then draft him. 

7 hours ago, Jason_S said:

maybe, but all it takes is one team to value him just as much as you do, or a little more, and then you trade down and wind up losing out on your guy anyway.  sometimes, and I'm not saying that it's the case in this particular situation, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet if you really want to get "your guy".  ala Ryan Kelly.

esp pass rushers they seem to get over drafter a lot

On 3/10/2017 at 0:49 PM, Track Guy said:

See, I believe it does matter a whole heck of a lot for an edge rusher if a guy isn't athletic enough. I think tape beats combine numbers, but then again I think there's a threshold you have to hit before you can succeed at the next level.

My view is that the combine stats can never tell you who can exceed at the next level, but they may give you a very strong indicator of who can't.

Just wondering, what were Bosa`s numbers?   :lecture:

6 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

His 40 was bad, but he ran a strong 3 cone time. Bosa's combine resembles Barnett's much more than it does than Harris'.

I think most NFL teams have learned to disregard NFL combine about 3-4 ago.

Suggs ran a 4.8

Anquan Boldin Ran a 4.8

Richard Sherman ran a 4.6

Marcus allen probably ran a 4.7 and so did Jerry Rice.

Meanwhile, Clowney is a giant and ran a low 4.53 and hasn't gotten 10 sacks yet.

Many of the Shutdown corners are 4.5 guys. The combine should just be a measure to make sure they players didn't get all fat and out of shape after the college season ended.

22 minutes ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Suggs ran a 4.8

Anquan Boldin Ran a 4.8

Meanwhile, Clowney is a giant and ran a low 4.53 and hasn't gotten 10 sacks yet.

Many of the Shutdown corners are 4.5 guys. The combine should just be a measure to make sure they players didn't get all fat and out of shape after the college season ended.

The combine numbers don't completely define a prospect but they are a decent part of the equation. 

Teams know what the acceptable level on all these test are for a given position. If an edge rusher flashes on film but has a bad 3 cone drill that's a red flag. 

On the other hand you could have a guy with poor film that test very well and that will boost his draft stock. Ex: Byron Jones

So teams definitely pay attention to the combine. 

31 minutes ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Suggs ran a 4.8

Anquan Boldin Ran a 4.8

There are certainly some examples of guys who don't shine at the combine who do well. There are probably even more examples of guys who have a good combine but a pedestrian career. But in general, there are minimum thresholds that if a prospect can't hit, statistically speaking a team will know the prospect will have a low chance of workout out.