Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts High On Charles Harris

I would hope Ballard would entertain trading down first before selecting him. Harris could easily be had in the late 20s. In my opinion, mastering the draft is all about scouting each player properly, and knowing their draft value. If you properly address the later, you can maneuver the draft to where you get additional picks and still get the guy you want.

BTW Matt Miller's source from Colts scouting/drafting room was spot on last year - he was the first one who reported we are in love with Ryan Kelly and he will not drop past our pick. Unless the source was Grigson himself, chances are whoever was his source is still with the Colts.

I really liked some of Harris' game film before the combine. Thought he was a top 20-25 guy for sure. His combine numbers weren't very good for a true edge guy though. I would imagine you could get him early in the 2nd.

40 - 4.82

3 Cone - 7.47 

20 Shuttle - 4.42

60 shuttle - 12.48

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW Matt Miller's source from Colts scouting/drafting room was spot on last year - he was the first one who reported we are in love with Ryan Kelly and he will not drop past our pick. Unless the source was Grigson himself, chances are whoever was his source is still with the Colts.

Matt Miller is a good one. He's doing an AMA as we speak on Reddit. I may throw together a post with some of the highlights. He's had a handful of interesting comments about some pretty popular prospects around here.

3 minutes ago, BCoop said:

Matt Miller is a good one. He's doing an AMA as we speak on Reddit. I may throw together a post with some of the highlights. He's had a handful of interesting comments about some pretty popular prospects around here.

I usually like his evaluations, but his current 7 round mock draft is a bit wild for my taste.

this doesn't appear to be a bad pick up but I am not seeing him as a guy near the top of anyones rankings at DE so if that's who we are targeting, drop down and get another pick, if someone jumps the pick, there is plenty of D talent still avail and we hopefully can grab a late 2nd or early 3rd to add more defensive talent with.

He's not nearly athletic enough to warrant taking at 15. Plus, he tended to rack up his sacks against weak competition then go several weeks without a sack.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/134534/charles-harris

Missouri edge rusher Charles Harris posted a 1.65s 10-yard split at the NFL Scouting Combine.
In addition, Harris turned in poor agility scores. He ended up testing in the 9th-percentile of edge rushers, according to Zach Whitman's SPARQ calculations. "That is beyond bad," wrote Rotoworld's Josh Norris. "I still appreciate his initial three steps and deploying a counter off of that if necessary." Harris was considered a great athlete entering the NFL Combine. Finishing 29th out of 32 edge rushers by SPARQ score is going to cause scouts to reconsider aspects of his evaluation, however. Mar 8 - 2:10 PM

He looked the most comfortable out of all the defensive lineman in the LB conversion drills so he's a lock as a 3-4 LB.

Also it's funny hearing that Ballard likes him because I read an NFL.com article the other day where they did pro comparisons for like 33 prospects. Harris' was Justin Houston.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

None of that reflects what he's putting on the Tape.   And the Tape matters more than any of that stuff.

Still, I am wondering if he will not be available with the second round pick due to the poor numbers.  Very good for the Colts if that is the case. 

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

None of that reflects what he's putting on the Tape.   And the Tape matters more than any of that stuff.

See, I believe it does matter a whole heck of a lot for an edge rusher if a guy isn't athletic enough. I think tape beats combine numbers, but then again I think there's a threshold you have to hit before you can succeed at the next level.

My view is that the combine stats can never tell you who can exceed at the next level, but they may give you a very strong indicator of who can't.

I don't know much but I'm sure Ballard being in KC he has seen A LOT of this kid out of Missouri. Plus I'm sure he was high on the Chiefs draft board as he would be expected to be taken (graded) around their pick in the late 20's. I think 15 is a little early for him but who knows what we do with our 2nd rd pick....maybe getting an extra 4th will help us move up early into the rd to target him if he falls. With what we have signed so far I think with our first pick we will be targeting a guy like Foster/Reddick to help our ILBs as we seem to be addressing the OLB with some veterens. That would give us the ability to take an edge guy later and develop them.

Just now, Track Guy said:

See, I believe it does matter a whole heck of a lot for an edge rusher if a guy isn't athletic enough. I think tape beats combine numbers, but then again I think there's a threshold you have to hit before you can succeed at the next level.

My view is that the combine stats cannot tell you who can exceed at the next level, but they may give you a very strong indicator of who can't.

If you're not athletic then it shows on the tape.   Who cares what he does at a combine for the most part?  Nobody is running 3 cones and jumping through hoops in a game.   I'd worry about those numbers if the Tape looked like the Combine.   It doesn't.

1 minute ago, Track Guy said:

My view is that the combine stats cannot tell you who can exceed at the next level, but they may give you a very strong indicator of who can't.

I agree with this to a point.  The numbers and the tape are telling two different stories, right.  His pro day is huge for him.  I am hoping he is around in round 2 when the Colts pick.  That would be a chance to get a productive player with a little risk in the 2nd.

58 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would hope Ballard would entertain trading down first before selecting him. Harris could easily be had in the late 20s. In my opinion, mastering the draft is all about scouting each player properly, and knowing their draft value. If you properly address the later, you can maneuver the draft to where you get additional picks and still get the guy you want.

maybe, but all it takes is one team to value him just as much as you do, or a little more, and then you trade down and wind up losing out on your guy anyway.  sometimes, and I'm not saying that it's the case in this particular situation, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet if you really want to get "your guy".  ala Ryan Kelly.

4 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Trading up in the 2nd round for Harris is possible, but there will be better defensive prospects available in the first round. 

If we could get better overall play from a different player in the 1st round, regardless of position (minus WR/QB/P/K/LongSnapper) that would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Houston, We have a problem. Freeney Jr.

Please don't disgrace the FOH Dwight Freeney like this ever again. It's not even close. Freeney ran a 4.48 40 time. Harris 4.82. What you see spin move and you go Freeney Jr with that mindset anyone with a spin move in NFL is Freeney Jr like Freeney invented the spin move and its just not right.

This guy is not a 1st round pick. Hes a 2nd maybe even steal for a team in 3rd.

Just now, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

Please don't disgrace the FOH Dwight Freeney like this ever again. It's not even close. Freeney ran a 4.48 40 time. Harris 4.82. What you see spin move and you go Freeney Jr with that mindset anyone with a spin move in NFL is Freeney Jr like Freeney invented the spin move and its just not right.

This guy is not a 1st round pick. Hes a 2nd maybe even steal for a team in 3rd.

It was a joke regarding the spin move. that is all sir.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Exactly!!! The tape is what does all the talking and it don't lie. And we've already heard Ballard mention  watching tape a number of times, so I think we know what he puts the most value in.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would include Barnett, I would take Takk or Barnett.

Barnett isn't a freak like those guys. He'll be putting up 8 sacks and being a beast against the run while those 3 will be putting up 12 plus sacks year after year. JMO of course

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Barnett isn't a freak like those guys. He'll be putting up 8 sacks and being a beast against the run while those 3 will be putting up 12 plus sacks year after year. JMO of course

I do like Takk better but I think Barnett will be a solid pro. Harris I think has the potential to be Good, maybe Great but good at worse. What do you think about Lawson in Round 2 if he's there. He's another people are mixed on in here.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do like Takk better but I think Barnett will be a solid pro. Harris I think has the potential to be Good, maybe Great but good at worse. What do you think about Lawson in Round 2 if he's there. He's another people are mixed on in here.

I like Lawson, but there's 4-5-6 other guys I like in the 2-3 range too.