Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign LB John Simon

Barry Sears

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

hope he shows that he can star on his own.  Big difference between that defensive line with Mercilus,  Watt,  that fat ex-patriots guy and ours.  

lol fat ex-patriots guy I love it hahaha

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I want us to have 2 monsters coming off the EDGE and guys like Simon as backups. If we drafted Williams/Takk/Charlton then I'm good as I see those 3 guys coming in and balling.

The colts aren't going to get two monsters off the edge in one off season.  You generally have to draft those guys.

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

what's wrong with Walden, he did lead the team in sacks....... Not saying I want him resigned but if he is, its not a bad thing imo

He's a one trick pony. Had one of the worst ratings by PFF despite the sacks. Doesn't play the run at all . Not worth big money. 

I like PFF, but I'm NO saber metric dude at all. I actually think all that's kinda dumb. I think the Browns are dumb for taking that approach. 16 million for a 2nd??? And not even a 2nd this draft???? LOL. But IMO. If an EDGE rusher has double digit sacks with a bunch of hits and hurries he had a good year. But people wanna say sacks don't matter as much as some think.... Well yes they do LOL. I mean there's no arguing that.

Also. Not referring to Walden but I'd rather have a pure pass rushing 15 sack a year guy who isn't great vs the run than a 8 sack a year, edge setter.

I like the Simon signing. Maybe he'll come out and really break out and give us 10 sacks. Sheard has that ability most definitely......BUT......We HAVE to draft a big time EDGE rusher in RD1.

31 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I like PFF, but I'm NO saber metric dude at all. I actually think all that's kinda dumb. I think the Browns are dumb for taking that approach. 16 million for a 2nd??? And not even a 2nd this draft???? LOL. But IMO. If an EDGE rusher has double digit sacks with a bunch of hits and hurries he had a good year. But people wanna say sacks don't matter as much as some think.... Well yes they do LOL. I mean there's no arguing that.

Also. Not referring to Walden but I'd rather have a pure pass rushing 15 sack a year guy who isn't great vs the run than a 8 sack a year, edge setter.

I like the Simon signing. Maybe he'll come out and really break out and give us 10 sacks. Sheard has that ability most definitely......BUT......We HAVE to draft a big time EDGE rusher in RD1.

Sack numbers can be misleading. How many of those sacks were coverage sacks? I would say Sheard and Simon are capable of getting coverage sacks. Not to mention he was bad against the run.

33 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Sack numbers can be misleading. How many of those sacks were coverage sacks? I would say Sheard and Simon are capable of getting coverage sacks. Not to mention he was bad against the run.

So in baseball is batting average misleading? No its not. Batting average and on base % is the best way to judge a hitter. Sacks, hits, and hurries are a major way to judge an EDGE rusher.

2 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Looking at our current secondary I don't see much potential for coverage sacks... V. Davis who we hope returns to being good, nobody at cb2 as of now, the oft injured Geathers and a literal madden creation with no coverage ability whatsoever in Green. We're in a rough spot there lol 

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

So in baseball is batting average misleading? No its not. Batting average and on base % is the best way to judge a hitter. Sacks, hits, and hurries are a major way to judge an EDGE rusher.

You're comparing two different sports with no correlation between them. The goal of sacks, hits, and hurries is to rush the QB right, make him feel the pressure? If a lot of your sacks are coming with the QB holding the ball for 6 or 7 seconds, you aren't doing your job well. Yes sacks, hits, and hurries are important but you have to look deeper than just the box score, which is what I don't think you're understanding.

It's a mute point now, as Walden is gone, and I think we both agree that we'd rather have Sheard than Walden.

2 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Looking at our current secondary I don't see much potential for coverage sacks... V. Davis who we hope returns to being good, nobody at cb2 as of now, the oft injured Geathers and a literal madden creation with no coverage ability whatsoever in Green. We're in a rough spot there lol 

Our secondary is far from finished, if I had to guess. At the same time, I also find Melvin to be serviceable at corner. Not great and I would definitely like an upgrade, but he can hold his own for the most part.

6 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

He's a one trick pony. Had one of the worst ratings by PFF despite the sacks. Doesn't play the run at all . Not worth big money. 

I have no idea if this is true,  but this is my hunch,  my belief about Walden this season.

I've looked up his career...    he had one season with the Colts at 6 sacks (2014)...   but the rest of his seasons before this past one were all around 3 sacks.     So,  that was his comfort level as a strong side guy whose focus was setting the edge and stopping the run.

It's my hunch that Monachino and Pagano asked to focus less on the run and more on the pass rush.   I think we said "we're not getting much from anyone....   so if we don't get more from you,  there's no one else to get the rush from."

So,  I think he stopped focusing on the run (and suffered his worst PFF grade)  but got a big spike in sacks.   My hunch is he gave us what we asked for.     And now he's a free agent and in the first two days he's probably had very few feelers,  and he's likely frustrated and feeling unappreciated.    

If I'm right,  I feel his pain.

13 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Just reading this makes me want to vomit. You DO NOT rebuild when you have a top tier franchise QB. That is stupid. Its simple. Why waste away 12's career trying to win ONE in 3 or 4 freaking years????? Worry about 3 or 4 years when it comes. Worry about this season......this season

Rebuild is the wrong word....   Ballard does NOT use that word.    He clearly stated that all 32 teams are in win-NOW mode.

That said.....    what's realistic?     We were in win-now mode the last two years and where did it get us?

So,  you try and rebuild,  or, if you like,  re-load on the fly.     You put in solid mid-tier talent,  the best you can afford,  while you draft young guys to build for the long-term.      I suspect our drafts will be very, very defensively heavy for the next 3 years.

But, yes,  we're trying to win now.....     

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no idea if this is true,  but this is my hunch,  my belief about Walden this season.

I've looked up his career...    he had one season with the Colts at 6 sacks (2014)...   but the rest of his seasons before this past one were all around 3 sacks.     So,  that was his comfort level as a strong side guy whose focus was setting the edge and stopping the run.

It's my hunch that Monachino and Pagano asked to focus less on the run and more on the pass rush.   I think we said "we're not getting much from anyone....   so if we don't get more from you,  there's no one else to get the rush from."

So,  I think he stopped focusing on the run (and suffered his worst PFF grade)  but got a big spike in sacks.   My hunch is he gave us what we asked for.     And now he's a free agent and in the first two days he's probably had very few feelers,  and he's likely frustrated and feeling unappreciated.    

If I'm right,  I feel his pain.

He gone anyway .Ballard thought about as much of last year's roster as the fans it looks like. 

According to this NFL.com article, the John Simon signing is one of the best FA contracts so far.

"John Simon, Indianapolis Colts linebacker: Simon brings versatility, toughness and the potential to exceed his contract value after signing a three-year, $13 million pact with the Colts. Simon's no-frills upgrade to the roster could be a great sign of things to come under new general manager Chris Ballard."

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

There should be no reason for this defense to at least not be middle of the pack, IMO; unlike last year, being in the bottom 3 or 4 in so many categories.

I agree.  If the Colts can get fairly consistent pressure, it will make a huge difference with the D.  In 2016 the would either get a sack or get next to no pressure.  Hopefully the new signings and the draft will help the Colts provide that consistent pressure, which will make the CBs and safeties not only look better but also play better.