Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign LB John Simon

Barry Sears

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this signing. Simon isn't a difference maker but can certainly help the team. He seems like he has the mindset that Ballard is looking for. Every team needs guys like Simon. He is one of many additions that need to be made. The real difference makers are likely to come from the drafts.

30 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Mingo is good for ST nothing else.

Well, it turns out that the Colts have special teams.  :D

I think he knows this may be his last chance to get a big payday.

Good signing I think.

I am happy with the way things are going so far.  Interesting, in my posts over the last few days I had said that the Colts should trade Dwayne Allen for a pick or a pass rusher and they should sign John Simon.  So that has happened.  I had also mentioned them signing Connor Barwin so lets see if that happens too!

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Hey Simon is good, but you guys are cool with him starting???????????? L No.... NO!!!! We gotta draft a couple studs and sign Barwin or Sheard. This is stupid.

No Barwin, please... He can play (when he's not hurt), but he just annoys me so much... Not sure why, but that guy's personality just irks me. 

14 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Hey Simon is good, but you guys are cool with him starting???????????? L No.... NO!!!! We gotta draft a couple studs and sign Barwin or Sheard. This is stupid.

Look this is a guy that excelled in limited playing time...he has low milage on his body and has shown he is ready for more work. Perfect signing. Get a talented guy that has flown under the radar because he doesn't have the big numbers for a big contract. I can't tell you how great a move this is. He is ready to step in day 1 at the SAM and contribute. I want us to sign Sheard opposite him too but this guy has starter written all over him. He is ready to unleash. I'll let others educate you on this guys potential...but to me this is the perfect type signing...guy will be great on our defense.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Look this is a guy that excelled in limited playing time...he has low milage on his body and has shown he is ready for more work. Perfect signing. Get a talented guy that has flown under the radar because he doesn't have the big numbers for a big contract. I can't tell you how great a move this is. He is ready to step in day 1 at the SAM and contribute. I want us to sign Sheard opposite him too but this guy has starter written all over him. He is ready to unleash. I'll let others educate you on this guys potential...but to me this is the perfect type signing...guy will be great on our defense.

I want us to have 2 monsters coming off the EDGE and guys like Simon as backups. If we drafted Williams/Takk/Charlton then I'm good as I see those 3 guys coming in and balling.

19 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

YOU'RE BACK! And still upset, even though we just made a really good signing with Simon. He's the kind of guy you want and at the price you want. He's an ascending talent and has proven to be great against the run and a decent pass rusher. We're also not done yet...its day 2 of Free Agency. Calm the h*ll down.

Instead, you want 1 of 2 guys that didn't produce...at all...last season?

Just now, Shive said:

YOU'RE BACK! And still upset, even though we just made a really good signing with Simon. He's the kind of guy you want and at the price you want. He's an ascending talent and has proven to be great against the run and a decent pass rusher. We're also not done yet...its day 2 of Free Agency. Calm the h*ll down.

Instead, you want 1 of 2 guys that didn't produce...at all...last season?

No. I like Simon. I just don't want him starting. I want like Takk and Barwin starting

Barwin:

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS
TD

Sheard:

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS
TD

Real Monsters there @COLTS449.... I'm not against signing either to reasonable contracts, but I wouldn't consider them "MONSTER" edge rushers.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

Barwin:

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS
TD

Sheard:

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS
TD

Real Monsters there @COLTS449.... I'm not against signing either to reasonable contracts, but I wouldn't consider them "MONSTER" edge rushers.

No Barwin isn't. But he's had a 14.5 sack season in a 34 scheme in 2014. Takk/Williams/Charlton will be our stud. Sheard isn't either but was really good in 2015. I think he had some issues with the staff in NE this year

6 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

No. I like Simon. I just don't want him starting. I want like Takk and Barwin starting

Dude, I wouldn't touch Barwin with a 10 foot pole. I was a bit positive on him till I read this:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-defensive-front-sevens-this-season/

Key lines: 

2. Philadelphia Eagles

Top overall grade: DE Brandon Graham, 93.3

Lowest overall grade: DE Connor Barwin, 42.1

He was carried a lot by that defensive front talent in Philly whenever we did see him make plays, IMO. That is why I am a bit hesitant on Dontari Poe too. 

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I want us to have 2 monsters coming off the EDGE and guys like Simon as backups. If we drafted Williams/Takk/Charlton then I'm good as I see those 3 guys coming in and balling.

I understand....I want crazy pass rushers too...but we need someone to SET THE EDGE too....seeing as we have basically the worst run defense in the league. This guy excels at that....and on top of it had 3.5 sacks in limited playing time....meaning if you start him those numbers are likely to climb. He has the athleticism and skill to be a 9-10 sack a year guy given the reps.....and that's from a position he would be playing that is suppose to drop in coverage and not always rush from.

16 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He's old and mediocre. Which has described our defense for 5 years too long now. 

So true on how you describe the D.

Our standards are so low on D. We could have a guy lead our team with 1 interception for the year and folks would still say 'he lead our team with 1 pick, he's solid'....

Ballard looks like he's going to rebuild this the right way. I'll take a couple down seasons to actually have a legit D for once in Lucks tenure.

Just now, chad72 said:

Dude, I wouldn't touch Barwin with a 10 foot pole. I was a bit positive on him till I read this:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-defensive-front-sevens-this-season/

Key lines: 

2. Philadelphia Eagles

Top overall grade: DE Brandon Graham, 93.3

Lowest overall grade: DE Connor Barwin, 42.1

He was carried a lot by that defensive front talent in Philly whenever we did see him make plays, IMO.

Plus at his age he isn't likely to get better. I'm good with Sheard...I really like his size and potential and with him and a young rookie rotating in and out I think we will be much more dynamic....we still have Ayers and Mingo too....but Simon is the real deal and probably won't leave the field much....he is ready for prime time imo.

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

So true on how you describe the D.

Our standards are so low on D. We could have a guy lead our team with 1 interception for the year and folks would still say 'he lead our team with 1 pick, he's solid'....

Ballard looks like he's going to rebuild this the right way. I'll take a couple down seasons to actually have a legit D for once in Lucks tenure.

Just reading this makes me want to vomit. You DO NOT rebuild when you have a top tier franchise QB. That is stupid. Its simple. Why waste away 12's career trying to win ONE in 3 or 4 freaking years????? Worry about 3 or 4 years when it comes. Worry about this season......this season

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Just reading this makes me want to vomit. You DO NOT rebuild when you have a top tier franchise QB. That is stupid. Its simple. Why waste away 12's career trying to win ONE in 3 or 4 freaking years?????

I wouldn't say rebuilding, but he's tearing down a few walls and renovating.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Just reading this makes me want to vomit. You DO NOT rebuild when you have a top tier franchise QB. That is stupid. Its simple. Why waste away 12's career trying to win ONE in 3 or 4 freaking years????? Worry about 3 or 4 years when it comes. Worry about this season......this season

I get it, but this team is garbage on D man. There's no quick fix, they screwed up that option of reloading for a SB run when grigs blew several drafts and brought in bad fa's.

Just now, Shive said:

I wouldn't say rebuilding, but he's tearing down a few walls and renovating.

Yeah. That's cool, but we best hit on a couple good defensive players in the draft and sign a couple good players like Hightower and Hankins or something.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah. That's cool, but we best hit on a couple good defensive players in the draft and sign a couple good players like Hightower and Hankins or something.

I can see us going heavily defense in the draft. I'd be happy if we sign Minter and Bennie Logan.

3 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Why did the Texans let him go?

In addition to be very, very deep in pass rushers,  Texas is also up against it with the Salary Cap.

They were looking to create space.     That's what the Osweiler deal was all about yesterday.

The Texans love Simon.     Didn't want to let hm go.    But sometimes teams have no choice and let go of good players.     It's not always about letting go of guys that you don't want.

Simon is a good, rock solid signing.    

Harsh criticism for people who like Barwin.  Here is what I know about Barwin.  He is a good hybrid 3-4 linebacker.  He is not a 4-3 defensive end.  He also is a high energy, workout warrior guy.  I think if he could be gotten on the cheap, he would be a good pickup.  We will draft a few pass rushers too but we need some veterans like Simon or Connor to help set the tone.  

And yes, I do watch a LOT of football and coach football.  Actually, defense.  Barwin has played out of position in Philly.  Much like Dwight Freeney trying to play linebacker in a 3-4.

7 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Harsh criticism for people who like Barwin.  Here is what I know about Barwin.  He is a good hybrid 3-4 linebacker.  He is not a 4-3 defensive end.  He also is a high energy, workout warrior guy.  I think if he could be gotten on the cheap, he would be a good pickup.  We will draft a few pass rushers too but we need some veterans like Simon or Connor to help set the tone.  

And yes, I do watch a LOT of football and coach football.  Actually, defense.  Barwin has played out of position in Philly.  Much like Dwight Freeney trying to play linebacker in a 3-4.

He's not good at all.  The worst of their edge fishers or defenders by a huge margin

If you're comfortable buying another Trent Cole then that is your prerogative