Jabaal Sheard visiting Colts (Merged)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Is this a good account?

It's a good account as far as the guy is verified and he's part of Inside the Pylon and Pats pulpit(SB Nation's Patriots affiliate). I don't know how reliable he is with insider info, though.

Here is an excerpt from an article when BB was asked about Sheard not traveling with the team to San Fran.

"It's a fare question even though Belichick will never answer it not wanting to publicly single out a player verbally. Sheard has not only seen a diminished amount of playing time, but he's also been less effective than a season ago or even from earlier in the year. 

He currently has 3.5 sacks in 2016. Three of them came back in Weeks 3 and 4 and the the half-sack came against the Bengals in Week 6. Since then he hasn't been able to get to the quarterback and has been pointed out being out of position and freelancing on defense. That was a problem for former Patriots linebacker Jamie Collins and was reportedly part of the reason why the team elected to trade him away to the Browns."

As someone who was the DC for my 6th grade team this past year, I can tell you that a player freelancing is not only frustrating but it can lead to huge plays for the offense.

I'd rather not...I was never a fan of him in Cleveland and still not in NE. He's always underperformed and it sounds like isn't the best team guy. I don't want someone that doesn't do their job and leaves their teammates out to dry, because they think they know better than the DC and freelances.

Hard pass.

16 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

I would love to see us sign Jabaal Sheard. I was hoping we would give him a look a couple of years ago. I really feel he is an underrated talent. 

I'd say underperforming, not underrated. 

Every FA has a red flag(s)...(age, injuries, money, inconsistencies) otherwise they would get offered a new contract and not be a free agent. Obviously it is very easy to get into Bill's doghouse. If I'm not mistaken though in the playoffs he was playing again...so that tells me something. On the right contract I could be ok with using him in a rotation at OLB. Don't think he is the answer to anything but if other players fall through we are going to need bodies that can get after the offense. I see him similar to Ayers....a rotational guy.

16 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Would this mean we won't resign Walden, or will he play edge rusher and add depth?

I'm guessing not. Seems like Ballard doesn't want any aging vets. Didn't even bring back Butler yet 

We are all in 1st getting younger and 2nd building through the draft! Total rebuilding mode. Wanted some top free agents like most, but understand what Ballard is doing. Does not want to overpay anyone. Biggest frustration for me, we may be wasting another year of Luck. Got to keep the faith that Ballard knows more than us.

Just now, UKColt13 said:

Essentially a younger Walden replacement. I'd be absolutely fine with that but I wouldn't want to rely on him to be our pass rush leader.  

use him in the Walden role and that should work really well.....but obviously draft edge rushers too.

11 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

A sign that Ballard is not re-signing Walden?

e.g. Simon and Sheard at starting OLB...rookie OLB takes over for one of them mid-way through the season. Ayers and Mingo as backup.

My thinking as well...Simon at SAM and Sheard at JACK...and a rookie to develop behind them.  

2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I may be wrong and I don't have any data/facts to back this up, but my memories are, that in the past, when a player came to visit the Colts, most times they left AS A COLT  Let's hope that happens with Sheard.

One thing to remember is that was under Grigson.  Grigson was well known for not letting a player leave the facility without inking a contract.  

Of course the problem with that is that he would often overpay guys just to make sure he signed them.