Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Osweiler to Browns

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brock is a bum but if Romo goes to Houston, can he stay healthy? If he gets injured than Houston is screwed again. Romo has been fragile lately.

True but better chance at being good than staying put knowing you're gonna be bad with Brock

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brock is a bum but if Romo goes to Houston, can he stay healthy? If he gets injured than Houston is screwed again. Romo has been fragile lately.

Yep!!! It'd be a biiig IF on him staying healthy if goes to Houston. I personally would have much rather kept my 2nd round pick than possibly gamble on Romo staying healthy.

Just now, Shive said:

From what I've read, it would only cost them $8.5 mil to release him. All they did was buy a 2nd round pick. That's really smart for a team building for the future. They have a handful of top picks in a good draft..

Now that makes more sense.  16 million is way to big of a pill to take but I wouldnt be surprised if they let him play and see how it turns out. its crazy that a few games in Denver got him a monster contract that Houston couldnt wait to dump this soon.

Just now, Chucklez said:

Even if they release him I think they still have like 80m in cap space...

yes but 16 mil was worth two very solid free agents rather than an unknown quantity in the 2nd round next year. I know its more like 8.5 now but that is just my opinion

17 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

This so interesting. I'd normally attribute paying another team to take a player's salary to basketball. Doesn't seem to be a common occurrence in the NFL. 

They do have an analytics guy helping run the team now don't they? Thinking outside the box.....they may get this ship turned around yet lol.

Oh and maybe they let the Cavs borrow Oz....I mean Lebron got every other player in the league on his team.

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Honestly this is a really smart move by the Browns. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs this year and become contenders within the next few years. 

I wouldn't go that far....but I think its a sign that they have some people in there that could very well turn things around.

10 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Now that makes more sense.  16 million is way to big of a pill to take but I wouldnt be surprised if they let him play and see how it turns out. its crazy that a few games in Denver got him a monster contract that Houston couldnt wait to dump this soon.

I wonder what kind of reception he will get with the Browns. 

Seems like Cleveland won the trade but they were probably the only team willing to take on Brock's contract.  I feel like it was a good move for the Texans as well if they get Romo and if he can stay healthy.  I know that's a couple huge if's.  They gave up a 2nd rounder but they did get a team to take Brocks contract. 

Just now, dgambill said:

I was thinking perhaps their 2nd first and a second. They have 3 2nd rd picks now!

If the Browns throw in two 2nd rounders including the #33, the Patriots will make that deal, that is what I think.

3 minutes ago, snkdy said:

Dang I really didn't want Romo in this division. Oh well.

No official news yet. But I don't think it would be that bad. He wouldn't be long term anyway. He's probably eyeing retirement in the next couple years anyway.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wouldn't go that far....but I think its a sign that they have some people in there that could very well turn things around.

I'm not saying it will happen, just I wouldn't be surprised. That's based solely off of the number of draft picks they have the next few years with this year being one of the deepest drafts defensively we have seen in a while. Add their cap space to that and they can afford to outbid for any free agent this year or next year. They still don't have a franchise QB but they could be scary at every other position if they nail this draft.

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

This is bad. Romo probably going to the Texans. All they need is a QB and no matter how much I rag on Romo, he's much better than Brock

In Romos last 30 starts he has 100 plus passer rating 65.9 completion percentage and a 62 to 25 td int ratio

If Romo can stay healthy and puts up numbers even close to that with Houston's D have to think they are the SB favorites . Don't even want to think about there D with a competent offense

6 minutes ago, B~Town said:

In Romos last 30 starts he has 100 plus passer rating 65.9 completion percentage and a 62 to 25 td int ratio

If Romo can stay healthy and puts up numbers even close to that with Houston's D have to think they are the SB favorites . Don't even want to think about there D with a competent offense

Absolutely. They have so much talent on offense and defense. All they need is a decent QB and Houston can be really good. Much better chance to be good with Romo than Brock

37 minutes ago, B~Town said:

The one counterpoint to this is there line isn't as good as it has been and keeping Romo healthy is the main priority after all.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

From what I've read, it would only cost them $8.5 mil to release him. All they did was buy a 2nd round pick. That's really smart for a team building for the future. They have a handful of top picks in a good draft..

Could you post the source where you read that ? Oswiler was guaranteed 16 mill for 2017. Houston saves that 16 mill in base salary to B. O. and it works out to a 10 mill cap savings.

IMO , there is no way Cleveland can take the contract off Houston's hands , receive compensation and then turn around release him and only be charged around half that number. Now if they are saying release him after June 1st , that would mean they split the cap charge into 2017 and 2018 caps. 

But I would bet anything that Cleveland has to pay Oswieler the 16 million and it will cot then 16 mill vs their cap.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Could you post the source where you read that ? Oswiler was guaranteed 16 mill for 2017. Houston saves that 16 mill in base salary to B. O. and it works out to a 10 mill cap savings.

IMO , there is no way Cleveland can take the contract off Houston's hands , receive compensation and then turn around release him and only be charged around half that number. Now if they are saying release him after June 1st , that would mean they split the cap charge into 2017 and 2018 caps. 

But I would bet anything that Cleveland has to pay Oswieler the 16 million and it will cot then 16 mill vs their cap.

It's 8.5 when you consider they are gonna cut RG3.  But they would have got that money without the Brock trade.   So it's still 16 million they eat to aquire a second rounder

28 minutes ago, masnerj said:

I wish we had made this trade :(. Essentially buying a 2nd round pick for 10 million dollars (take his 17 million contract then cut him, saving like 8 mill). 

pretty sure the pick costs 16 million which is his guaranteed base for 2017. Also none of you people are factoring in that Houston gets Cleveland's 4th from this year. Draft picks generally lose 1 round of value in a year. So it's really swapping a 3rd for a 4th. Probably a bit overstated by me as we know that Houston's 2017 4th is at the bottom of the round and Clevelands 2018 2nd should be at the top

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It's 8.5 when you consider they are gonna cut RG3.  But they would have got that money without the Brock trade.   So it's still 16 million they eat to aquire a second rounder

One has nothing to do with the other IMO. They would never feel a "need" to retain RG3. So I agree wth what you have... it's 16 mill.

Just now, dw49 said:

One has nothing to do with the other IMO. They would never feel a "need" to retain RG3. So I agree wth what you have... it's 16 mill.

I agree,   some in the media have spun the 8.5 million,   But they weren't keeping Bob the third anyway 

1 minute ago, Shive said:

This ^

Thanks @jvan1973

Fine but that's silly. There is no way they were going into 2017 with RG3 as their starter and it would be even more stupid for a 1-15 team to pay it's back up 8 mill. But I do see where you read that number , it's just not accurate or the case.

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Fine but that's silly. There is no way they were going into 2017 with RG3 as their starter and it would be even more stupid for a 1-15 team to pay it's back up 8 mill. But I do see where you read that number , it's just not accurate or the case.

Based on the initial chatter, it was strongly suggested that the Browns were potentially cutting RG3 as well, so the Osweiller move would have only cost them $8.5mil instead of $16 mil. At this point, we have no clue what the Browns will do. I don't see Osweiller or RG3 taking snaps for them next season.

They have a TON of cap space, so for a team trying to build a solid foundation, the move makes sense. Buying a 2nd round draft pick to add to the bevy of picks they already have is genius if they draft well.

29 minutes ago, Shive said:

Based on the initial chatter, it was strongly suggested that the Browns were potentially cutting RG3 as well, so the Osweiller move would have only cost them $8.5mil instead of $16 mil. At this point, we have no clue what the Browns will do. I don't see Osweiller or RG3 taking snaps for them next season.

They have a TON of cap space, so for a team trying to build a solid foundation, the move makes sense. Buying a 2nd round draft pick to add to the bevy of picks they already have is genius if they draft well.

I know how much cap room the Browns have but I have no idea how much you would value that swap of draft picks to be worth. So I really don't feel qualified to comment on how smart of a move this was. I have no problem figuring out what they did .

That said ,they spent 16 mill (not 8) to make the move. If I were a Cleveland fan I would be happy as I love draft picks.

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The two worst teams in the league at evaluating qbs

They're just going to give NE a bunch of their picks for Jimmy G. At least the Browns with those draft picks are....well the Browns. NE with those picks is scary.