Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All the best guys are going fast.....

1 minute ago, needanoline63 said:

Hightower going to the titans. Titans and jags defense already getting better

Ugh, this is why I still think an O-lineman would be huge for us. The trenches are a huge part of football, becoming above average in them would be huge for us. We're like 1 impact RG away.

8 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

We're getting younger. I don't expect a lot of high priced free agents. 

I know we were 29th in the NFL for age last year but now I bet we are top 15. Adams and Butler are gone. A 26 or 27 year old free agent is not old. 

If you didn't see this coming when Ballard stated his approach to FA, then unfortunately that's on you. He basically waved a yellow flag of caution to us fans that the Colts were not gonna go on a big spending spree just to go get the big name guy. It was going to be very strict, careful and smart approach. I think and hope we'll make a couple solid signings likely mid tier guys, and then really hit the draft. But those that get all bent outta shape about this must not have heeded the caution sign. And on top of all of it, just because you go make a bug name signing doesn't guarentee that player to come into Indy and be successful neccasarily. It's all a gamble at the end of the day.

16 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

If you didn't see this coming when Ballard stated his approach to FA, then unfortunately that's on you. He basically waved a yellow flag of caution to us fans that the Colts were not gonna go on a big spending spree just to go get the big name guy. It was going to be very strict, careful and smart approach. I think and hope we'll make a couple solid signings likely mid tier guys, and then really hit the draft. But those that get all bent outta shape about this must not have heeded the caution sign. And on top of all of it, just because you go make a bug name signing doesn't guarentee that player to come into Indy and be successful neccasarily. It's all a gamble at the end of the day.

What are we gonna do with all of our cap space? I don't want to overpay any of the top free agents, but I sure in the heck don't want to overpay average players. If we don't hit on Poe or Hightower we will not have signed any of the top free agents. Lost out on baker, fairley, warford, and Leary too. But hey... at least we signed a below average punter. I know we will be okay. Just frustrated 

5 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

We most certainly are not 'fine'.  

Nah youre right lets just sit on $60m 

From there, you've got to take out any other players the Colts re-sign, rookie contracts, and then leave a little cap space ($10 million or so) for things like emergency in-season signings, earned bonuses, etc.).  We're really working with about $25-$30 million tops.

11 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

We most certainly are not 'fine'.  

Nah youre right lets just sit on $60m 

So let's throw 12mil/year at an OG and LB'er...That'll fix us instantly right...I mean look at the Jags from last year...Instant contenders

Build through the draft.

Look at our previous big spending FA frenzy for more examples

That's how this usually works though. And understandably.  The big name guys are cornerstone type of players.  If you want one of those guys, go after them first and then fill in teh rest later.

That being said, I know some fans won't be too happy about all the guys he wanted not being signed by the Colts.  But then again, the business aspect of football and the established principles of winning organizations suggest that you don't go diving into FA head first.  You sustain your team better in the long term when you sign a bunch of team friendly contracts and hoep they outearn their contract, but are team friendly enough not to hit the cap later if they don't.  Getting one big FA wrong hurts you long term a lot more than a bunch of average players who can be cut on a moments notice with little penalty.

That's how this usually works though. And understandably.  The big name guys are cornerstone type of players.  If you want one of those guys, go after them first and then fill in teh rest later.

That being said, I know some fans won't be too happy about all the guys he wanted not being signed by the Colts.  But then again, the business aspect of football and the established principles of winning organizations suggest that you don't go diving into FA head first.  You sustain your team better in the long term when you sign a bunch of team friendly contracts and hoep they outearn their contract, but are team friendly enough not to hit the cap later if they don't.  Getting one big FA wrong hurts you long term a lot more than a bunch of average players who can be cut on a moments notice with little penalty.  Of course, that strategy only works if you draft well.  Otherwise, you'll never be any good.

12 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

What are we gonna do with all of our cap space? I don't want to overpay any of the top free agents, but I sure in the heck don't want to overpay average players. If we don't hit on Poe or Hightower we will not have signed any of the top free agents. Lost out on baker, fairley, warford, and Leary too. But hey... at least we signed a below average punter. I know we will be okay. Just frustrated 

I'm sure there is a plan, and I'm sure we tried to get a number of the guys but things probably just got out of comfort range financially for CB.  And You're paying for past production but not guarenteed the future prodiction. I still think and hope we'll make a few decent signings, but they likely won't be big names outside of Poe maybe, I feel he may be the 1 "big" name guy we sign. But the draft is where we REALLY gotta be strong, that's where we are really gonna build our team and we've stocked some pick in good deep defensive draft and we've got CB now who's a defensive guy, so that gives me some hope.

I'm not one to be butthurt about not signing these guys to ridiculous contracts but I will be very disappointed if we get some old vets to "shore up holes" and sign them to stupidly overpaying contracts (Even if the contracts are structured in a way that we can cut them early on). Don't want to see anymore of that crap. I'd rather just play the young guys

5 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I'm not one to be butthurt about not signing these guys to ridiculous contracts but I will be very disappointed if we get some old vets to "shore up holes" and sign them to stupidly overpaying contracts (Even if the contracts are structured in a way that we can cut them early on). Don't want to see anymore of that crap. I'd rather just play the young guys

Exactly. His approach to free agency and with him looking to sign Jeffery to a big contract really reminds me of a certain GM the colts had recently. 

13 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

So let's throw 12mil/year at an OG and LB'er...That'll fix us instantly right...I mean look at the Jags from last year...Instant contenders

Build through the draft.

Look at our previous big spending FA frenzy for more examples

We never signed any clear cut top FA. So hard to look their for examples. The reason some of us are complaining is it makes no sense to not spend on a few big players if you want to build through he draft. You have to use a certain amount of your cap. and I'd rather sign 3 good free agents than 6 decent players. That's what Grigson did and it didn't pan out. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

We never signed any clear cut top FA. So hard to look their for examples. The reason some of us are complaining is it makes no sense to not spend on a few big players if you want to build through he draft. You have to use a certain amount of your cap. and I'd rather sign 3 good free agents than 6 decent players. That's what Grigson did and it didn't pan out. 

Were you around during the Polian era? That panned out pretty well

29 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Exactly. His approach to free agency and with him looking to sign Jeffery to a big contract really reminds me of a certain GM the colts had recently. 

Just because we were interesed in Alshon doesn't mean we were ever going to pay him big money. There's a reason he didn't pick the Colts.