Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can be done with three 4th round picks??

indyagent17

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 at 2:10 PM, indyagent17 said:

Having three picks in the 4th round is a great luxury and it seems a deal may come out of this.  I can see the team packaging one or two of them to move up into the third.

Do you all really see us using all three picks?

De'Veon Smith 

D'Onta Foreman 

Dupre & Duval (LSU WR's)

Joe Mixon

Just to name a few who could be there in the 4th & would be great additions to the team

It's kinda like dice rolling, higher rounds you have more chance of success per roll than  lower rounds but having more rolls of the dice is also advantageous. 

Of course this is is horrid simplification of the process and doesn't account for good scouting giving you a leg up.

16 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Seriously. Look at who we could have had with 3 4's this past draft. Jordan Howard, Jatavis Brown, and Rashard Robinson. We'd have our starting RB, a starting corner oppo Vontae, and an all around ILB for once. We just have to be smart and know how to find the talent. Hopefully Mixon is one of those 4's this year.

Mixon will be gone before the 4th considering how high the lions are on him.

On 3/9/2017 at 10:25 PM, neug3246 said:

I wasn't asking about moving up, I was asking about moving back from 15 to say about 22 could we also get a 2nd and a third if we did that or would it just be a second etc.

This is a basic way to look at the point Value of our pick and what we might expect to get from a trade partner.

loi
  http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

On 3/9/2017 at 2:10 PM, indyagent17 said:

Having three picks in the 4th round is a great luxury and it seems a deal may come out of this.  I can see the team packaging one or two of them to move up into the third.

Do you all really see us using all three picks?

I see a TE at that level for sure.
 And a tool to trade up a spot or two to get our guy if possible.
 A NT?

On 3/10/2017 at 0:42 PM, BCoop said:

In this example, moving from #15 (1,050 points) to #22 (780 points) leaves a delta of 290 points. Pick 61 is valued at 292 points so you're looking at an extra late 2nd.

Since those two picks don't align with the actual draft order, you're probably looking at something like this:

#15 + #122 + #144 = 1,140 points

for 

#22 + #54 = 1,140 points

OR if you don't want to give up anything outside of #15, an almost even match would be:

#15 = 1,050 points

for 

#26 + #58 = 1,020 points

Swapping #15 for #25 + #57 is a perfect match value wise, but that's the Texans so it would be a very cold day in hell if that happened.

Love it when people do work like this.  Great job

On 3/9/2017 at 6:46 PM, neug3246 said:

What could we get if we trade back in the First round. Could we get a later first and a second plus a third, just a later first and a second, or a later first and two thrid round picks. Does anyone has a better idea then me? Just curious?

http://drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=IND

If we were to trade down with Detroit we could trade our 2017 1st Rd & 2018 3rd Rd for their 2017 1st & 2nd ...IF they wanted someone enough at #15 to do it.

On 3/10/2017 at 0:52 PM, dgambill said:

My most likely scenario is Denver trading up to get a lineman. They have 10 draft picks and they received a compensatory 3rd so I could see them willing to move up like they did for Shayne Ray. We give up the 15th=1050 and they would give up the 20th+82nd=1030...which is pretty close...you could throw in a late pick too depending on who is the one doing the calling or not...if we want to move back probably not...if they want to move up then maybe we get a 7th or something to even it out...but that's pretty close value wise.

What that does is for 5 picks back we land a middle 3rd. That middle third to me would have great value in finding a prospect. These 4th rounders on their own won't really move the needle in needing to move up....so I think the players drafted would have more value then the position we might gain in moving up. To me the value would be to move back and gather more resources for this talent striken team. That extra 3rd could be a rb we value or another guard and allow us to continue to focus on defense with the rest of the draft. I'd love to trade back if the board was to shake out right. If Foster and say Barnett are gone already maybe we move back and still get a high rated corner or say Reddick and get that extra 3rd I wouldn't be disappointed. I don't think many teams are going to give up 2nd rd picks in this draft....but a team with an extra 3rd might be willing to move if they are needy enough....and Denver needs OL help desperately...especially if they land Romo. 

DEN #20 & #51 for IND #15 & #80 are equal... 1240 pts.  

I believe Foster lost some teams bc of the Combine situation, so he may be there at #20, but Reddick had already been talked about as a late 1st Rd and then he blew up the Combine. I have seen mock drafts of him at CIN #9 now. Personally, I would rather have Reddick and his versatility of being a Rush LB, ILB or weakside OLB. 

Listing players that were diamonds in the rough is illogical.  A player drafted in the 4th is more than likely going to suck.  People tend to overrate picks... to assume everyone they take  will be contributors.

We don't need to go seeking a trade, but if a player Ballard loves is falling a bit in the first, I would want and expect him to trade up and get him (or her).

I prefer the quality approach more than the quantity approach. 

On 3/10/2017 at 3:33 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Draft three guys in the fourth round and hope they pan out. :)

There will be some talent there. Imagine if teams pass on Mixon. He could be there. Or a RB like Hunt, Gallman, or Jamal Williams. At LB you're looking at Alex Anzalone, Anthony Walker, Duwayne Smoot, and Terell Basham. At CB there will be a plethora of guys. That 4th round should be littered with sleepers.

7 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Listing players that were diamonds in the rough is illogical.  A player drafted in the 4th is more than likely going to suck.  People tend to overrate picks... to assume everyone they take  will be contributors.

We don't need to go seeking a trade, but if a player Ballard loves is falling a bit in the first, I would want and expect him to trade up and get him (or her).

I prefer the quality approach more than the quantity approach. 

I would agree with you if this team was a more complete team...but this team literally has holes all over it. We need to build this roster up and create competition all over it. If I was NE or KC or Sea I might go with quality over quantity but I like our draft picks...we have 7 picks in the first 5 rds so I'm happy...because I see real value in those first 5 rds...look at what we did in the first 5 rds last year. All contributors.

Jamaal Williams RB

Jake Butt TE

Josh Reynolds WR

Joe Mathis EDGE

Jordan Leggett TE

Julie'n Davenport OT

Jordan Morgan OG

Tarell Basham OLB

Taylor Moton OT

Ryan Glasgow DL

Dalvin Tomlinson DL

Duke Riley ILB/OLB

Anthony Walker ILB

Kendell Beckwith ILB

Devonte Fields OLB/EDGE

Corn Elder CB

I could probably go on, just some names that could be at those picks

5 hours ago, Franchise said:

Potential 4th Round Picks to add quality depth/competation:

Derek Rivers - OLB - Youngstown State

Dalvin Tomlinson - DL - Alabama

Jordan Willis - OLB - KState

Kieonte Davis - OLB - Chattanooga

If we wait past round 3, neither Jordan Willis nor Tyus Bowser will be available, IMO. I would love to have one of them in round 3. I would not be shocked if one of them is picked in round 2 either. At that point, you are looking at the upside of the picks and both of them have very good upside.

Round 4, in this draft, is the ideal round for your skill position value players after you go defense in the first 3 rounds UNLESS someone worth 2nd round value on D drops here. RBs like Wayne Gallman, Joe Williams, WRs like Isaiah Ford, 2-down D-linemen, Project secondary picks are all good candidates to be drafted here. In other words, these three 4th rounders will help us fill gaps that are not gaping holes on the roster and if we get starters from here, all the more merrier. 

I would use the picks in fhe 4th to bring in young talent. I think that's Ballard's plan. I don't think we are getting Mixon in the 4th. I would try to gather more picks if possible. The trade down with Denver is one I thought might happen for 15.  

I don't see a lot of Edge players falling to day 3. I was glad to see that position start to get addressed in FA. The cupboard was to bare to count on just the draft there. I think the edge class will push quality at other spots down.

This draft appears deep at CB,S, and RB. We might find good value there. As others have illustrated there are good players to be had in the 4tn and 5th in most drafts. Ballard strikes me as someone who's confident in his ability to find  that quality.