Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can be done with three 4th round picks??

indyagent17

Yes, quality rotational depth can be added at any defensive or offensive position with all those picks. With the depth of defensive players, good players will slide and can be had in round 4. I'm hoping they keep all those 3 picks.

Free agency may address a couple of areas, but there will be glaring needs to deal with still come draft day.  If anything, I see trades back to get additional picks, not the opposite.   I love seeing seven picks in the first 158, there will be lots of talent there.  

What could we get if we trade back in the First round. Could we get a later first and a second plus a third, just a later first and a second, or a later first and two thrid round picks. Does anyone has a better idea then me? Just curious?

Not exactly the same situation, but I loved the Ravens picks in rounds 3 thru 5.  They really loaded up on quality players:

Round 3, Pick 7 (70) Bronson Kaufusi DE 6'6" 285 BYU 5.5  
  Pick Analysis: "He's a long, lengthy defensive end. They put him all over the line of scrimmage." -- Charles Davis
  Round 4, Pick 6 (104) Tavon Young CB 5'9" 183 Temple 5.4  
  Pick Analysis: Ravens had just 6 interceptions in 2015, fewest in franchise history. Young might be too small for life outside the numbers, but he's ultra-competitive when the ball is in the air. He likely takes over as their 3rd CB sooner rather than later. -Mark Dulgerian
  Round 4, Pick 9 (107) (From Dolphins) Chris Moore WR 6'1" 206 Cincinnati 5.2  
  Pick Analysis: Baltimore had a need at WR and Moore, who averaged over 22 yds/rec over his last 2 seasons, is a big play weapon. He has a limited route tree now, but they'll want him running under Flacco's downfield throws as he develops. -Mark Dulgerian
  Round 4, Pick 32 (130) (From Broncos) Alex Lewis OT 6'6" 312 Nebraska 5.2  
  Pick Analysis: Raven's address their offensive line needs once again with a "toolsy" offensive tackle. Lewis is technically sound and has the length you want there, but he's underdeveloped from a physical standpoint right now. --Mark Dulgerian
  Round 4, Pick 34 (132) (Compensatory Selection) Willie Henry DT 6'3" 303 Michigan 5.9  
  Pick Analysis: Henry was buried in a deep DL class but he's very talented. He's played all over the Wolverine's front but he'll be a 1-gap penetrator in even and odd fronts the Ravens utilize. --Mark Dulgerian
  Round 4, Pick 36 (134) (Compensatory Selection) Kenneth Dixon RB 5'10" 215 Louisiana Tech 5.7  
  Pick Analysis: Dixon is a perfect fit in Marc Trestman's offense. He is the best pass catching back in this class and possesses the toughness and instincts to pick up yards between the tackles. He should be an instant-impact player in this offense. --Mark Dulgerian
  Round 5, Pick 7 (146) (From Jaguars) Matt Judon DE 6'3" 275 Grand Valley St. 5.2

We could draft a punter assuming we didn't give Locke much guaranteed money. 

Compensatory picks are tradable now too, so we could them to move into the bottom of the 3rd. 

Or we could just pick up some rotational players, RB maybe.  Maybe a 3rd TE. 

Still some solid talent in the 4th if you draft well.  We got Ridgeway in the 4th.  Haeg in the 5th.  Cowboys got Dak Prescott in the 4th.  Bears got Jordan Howard in the 5th. 

And that's just last year.

2 years ago we got Geathers in the 4th. 

4th round is a good round to get developmental prospects. 

We might not see the payoff until the 2018 season for them though. 

41 minutes ago, neug3246 said:

What could we get if we trade back in the First round. Could we get a later first and a second plus a third, just a later first and a second, or a later first and two thrid round picks. Does anyone has a better idea then me? Just curious?

We'd have to invest quality picks in the 2nd and 3rd to even entertain that thought.  Seems stupid because you can get some quality players in the 2nd and 3rd.  With so many needs, no point in packaging all those picks together to move up 15 to 20 spots.

Now we could potentially package the 3rd round pick and our 4th round picks to move up into the 2nd and get 2 second round picks. 

But ultimately those sorts of decisions are made based on what is available at the time.  Teams move up with they see a player they really want fall to a pick they can get to through a reasonable trade. 

So as far as trade's, Ballard will just have to see what the board looks like.  If a guy they have a high grade on falls then maybe they package the picks to go up and get him.  Unless you are trading for the #1 or #2 overall picks, you don't normally make draft trades of just picks until draft day when you can see what's available. 

Sort of like the trade that we used to get TY Hilton in 2012. 

But lets not forget there are some quality players in the 4th round.  Rotational guys and developmental guys.  They aren't worthless picks by any means. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

We'd have to invest quality picks in the 2nd and 3rd to even entertain that thought.  Seems stupid because you can get some quality players in the 2nd and 3rd.  With so many needs, no point in packaging all those picks together to move up 15 to 20 spots.

Now we could potentially package the 3rd round pick and our 4th round picks to move up into the 2nd and get 2 second round picks. 

But ultimately those sorts of decisions are made based on what is available at the time.  Teams move up with they see a player they really want fall to a pick they can get to through a reasonable trade. 

So as far as trade's, Ballard will just have to see what the board looks like.  If a guy they have a high grade on falls then maybe they package the picks to go up and get him.  Unless you are trading for the #1 or #2 overall picks, you don't normally make draft trades of just picks until draft day when you can see what's available. 

Sort of like the trade that we used to get TY Hilton in 2012. 

But lets not forget there are some quality players in the 4th round.  Rotational guys and developmental guys.  They aren't worthless picks by any means. 

I wasn't asking about moving up, I was asking about moving back from 15 to say about 22 could we also get a 2nd and a third if we did that or would it just be a second etc.

I think Ballard will keep all 3 picks.  I believe his goal is to improve this team mostly via the draft and that is what he is trying to do.  It's a deep defensive draft and for RB.  Having that extra 4th pick could net us a pretty good player there.

53 minutes ago, neug3246 said:

I wasn't asking about moving up, I was asking about moving back from 15 to say about 22 could we also get a 2nd and a third if we did that or would it just be a second etc.

I can't see getting that much for such a small movement swap.   A 3rd rounder alone, mayyyyyyyybe.  

You can do a lot. And we need a lot. Grigson left Ballard with holes everywhere. Forget just starters, we have zero depth anywhere. We won't completely turn the roster around in 1 draft but I think Ballard intends to load up on players. They got quality guys in the mid-late rounds in KC so he could really do some things with those picks.

Filling the roster with good players is what is needed. I don't care what round a player is taken if he can contribute.

In the past we had quite a few good starters but we had no depth. As soon as the starter went down or needed rotated the talent level went way down. We were forced to use players who were not intended to be starters to be starters. The only way to stop that is with good drafting from round one all the way through.

Ballard is not going to turn this team around defensively overnight. It is going to take time.

7 hours ago, neug3246 said:

Depends who we trade. If Dalvin Cook is on the board, Tampa Bay really wants him and based off trade charts their 19th overall pick and 3rd round pick are equal to our first. If there isn't a guy like Rueben Foster on the board I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Move back 4 spots and get an extra 3rd.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Filling the roster with good players is what is needed. I don't care what round a player is taken if he can contribute.

In the past we had quite a few good starters but we had no depth. As soon as the starter went down or needed rotated the talent level went way down. We were forced to use players who were not intended to be starters to be starters. The only way to stop that is with good drafting from round one all the way through.

Ballard is not going to turn this team around defensively overnight. It is going to take time.

PREACH!

-Singer in the Choir.

9 hours ago, neug3246 said:

Oh sorry I must understood your post.  

Difficulty there is finding a trade partner.  Someone would have to fall to 15 that someone towards the bottom of the board really wants.  

I'm sure Ballard would love to move down 7 spots or so in the first and pick up an extra 2nd round pick.  Problem is finding a trade partner who's willing to do that.  Everyone knows is this is a deep draft.  So I don't think it's likely that there will be many teams who are willing to make that trade.  

Trade up value wise, all 3 4th round picks as a package add up to a late 3rd round pick.

#122  -  50

#137  -  37

#144  -  33.5 

#95  -  120

24 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh sorry I must understood your post.  

Difficulty there is finding a trade partner.  Someone would have to fall to 15 that someone towards the bottom of the board really wants.  

I'm sure Ballard would love to move down 7 spots or so in the first and pick up an extra 2nd round pick.  Problem is finding a trade partner who's willing to do that.  Everyone knows is this is a deep draft.  So I don't think it's likely that there will be many teams who are willing to make that trade.  

I could see a team wanting to trade up in front of Tennessee and Baltimore to get OJ Howard if he's still available. That might be a possibility or if Cook at RB is still there. 

21 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes, quality rotational depth can be added at any defensive or offensive position with all those picks. With the depth of defensive players, good players will slide and can be had in round 4. I'm hoping they keep all those 3 picks.

Absolutely right...this draft is deep at a few positions. Just use the picks.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You can do a lot. And we need a lot. Grigson left Ballard with holes everywhere. Forget just starters, we have zero depth anywhere. We won't completely turn the roster around in 1 draft but I think Ballard intends to load up on players. They got quality guys in the mid-late rounds in KC so he could really do some things with those picks.

This defense is only 3-4 playmakers away from being an average defense so things can turn around in year one. We only need a decent defense not a great one

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Great defenses win championships though.

Absolutely True but we need to get to the middle of the pack before we reach the top.  We have a top offense and a few pieces away from a great one (We are very pretty much there) but if your defense can hold its own and not lose games for us then we would be a greatly better team

14 hours ago, neug3246 said:

In this example, moving from #15 (1,050 points) to #22 (780 points) leaves a delta of 290 points. Pick 61 is valued at 292 points so you're looking at an extra late 2nd.

Since those two picks don't align with the actual draft order, you're probably looking at something like this:

#15 + #122 + #144 = 1,140 points

for 

#22 + #54 = 1,140 points

OR if you don't want to give up anything outside of #15, an almost even match would be:

#15 = 1,050 points

for 

#26 + #58 = 1,020 points

Swapping #15 for #25 + #57 is a perfect match value wise, but that's the Texans so it would be a very cold day in hell if that happened.

4 minutes ago, BCoop said:

In this example, moving from #15 (1,050 points) to #22 (780 points) leaves a delta of 290 points. Pick 61 is valued at 292 points so you're looking at an extra late 2nd.

Since those two picks don't align with the actual draft order, you're probably looking at something like this:

for 

#22 + #54 = 1,140 points

OR if you don't want to give up anything outside of #15, an almost even match would be:

#15 = 1,050 points

for 

#26 + #58 = 1,020 points

Swapping #15 for #25 + #57 is a perfect match value wise, but that's the Texans so it would be a very cold day in hell if that happened.

So do you get 3 credit hours for reading that??  LOL  Great examples, could trade around those picks on either side of #25 and make that work?

17 hours ago, neug3246 said:

Take a look at UKColts13 post on this page.     I think you'll see some of the math and just how hard it is to move around.      

Trading is expensive.     

And trading 2's and 3's is really hard.

23 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Having three picks in the 4th round is a great luxury and it seems a deal may come out of this.  I can see the team packaging one or two of them to move up into the third.

Do you all really see us using all three picks?

No these are extra draft picks to rebuild the defense asap. They are not to move up. As trading 2 4th rnds for 1 3rd gives you one player instead of 2. Every draft pick is possible contributor every pick counts this isn't Grigson who has no clue this is ballard who definitely knows what he is doing.

57 minutes ago, BCoop said:

for 

#22 + #54 = 1,140 points

#15 = 1,050 points

for 

#26 + #58 = 1,020 points

My most likely scenario is Denver trading up to get a lineman. They have 10 draft picks and they received a compensatory 3rd so I could see them willing to move up like they did for Shayne Ray. We give up the 15th=1050 and they would give up the 20th+82nd=1030...which is pretty close...you could throw in a late pick too depending on who is the one doing the calling or not...if we want to move back probably not...if they want to move up then maybe we get a 7th or something to even it out...but that's pretty close value wise.

What that does is for 5 picks back we land a middle 3rd. That middle third to me would have great value in finding a prospect. These 4th rounders on their own won't really move the needle in needing to move up....so I think the players drafted would have more value then the position we might gain in moving up. To me the value would be to move back and gather more resources for this talent striken team. That extra 3rd could be a rb we value or another guard and allow us to continue to focus on defense with the rest of the draft. I'd love to trade back if the board was to shake out right. If Foster and say Barnett are gone already maybe we move back and still get a high rated corner or say Reddick and get that extra 3rd I wouldn't be disappointed. I don't think many teams are going to give up 2nd rd picks in this draft....but a team with an extra 3rd might be willing to move if they are needy enough....and Denver needs OL help desperately...especially if they land Romo. 

Question? How the heck does TENN have 2 first round picks? (you always have to keep an eye open on your division)

1 - 5th overall and 18th Overall

2 - None

3 - 83rd Overall and 100th Overall.

Mannnnnn. They are in pretty good shape. A little scary if they play their hand right.

On 3/9/2017 at 2:11 PM, indyagent17 said:

It would make it easier to take a guy like Mixon here should he drop to the 4th round?

It's hard for me to ever want somebody that would do that to a woman. If you look at his comments afterward he didn't even seem that apologetic. Great talent, but don't want somebody like that. If we got him, he could be a star, but Ballard would be going against what he said about wanting only good guys in the locker room. 

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Question? How the heck does TENN have 2 first round picks? (you always have to keep an eye open on your division)

1 - 5th overall and 18th Overall

2 - None

3 - 83rd Overall and 100th Overall.

Mannnnnn. They are in pretty good shape. A little scary if they play their hand right.

They had a big trade last year for the #1 pick that they had. The second round pick is gone because they traded back up to #8 (from the #15 pick they got from the Rams) and picked Conklin. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Draft three guys in the fourth round and hope they pan out. :)

Seriously. Look at who we could have had with 3 4's this past draft. Jordan Howard, Jatavis Brown, and Rashard Robinson. We'd have our starting RB, a starting corner oppo Vontae, and an all around ILB for once. We just have to be smart and know how to find the talent. Hopefully Mixon is one of those 4's this year.

12 hours ago, BCoop said:

for 

#22 + #54 = 1,140 points

#15 = 1,050 points

for 

#26 + #58 = 1,020 points

ya I just picked random numbers I dont know how the whole trading draft picks thing works thats why I asked. Thanks