Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sign Kap to backup Luck?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Kap is a far better option than lots of guys currently on rosters (Gabbert, McCown, and yes, definitely better than Tolzien).  I think it's a bunch of nonsense he's been blacklisted for taking a stand for civil rights while those who beat women/get in trouble with the law remain in the league no questions asked.

On 3/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's better than probably half the starters in the NFL.

based on what?

he hasnt produced much even when he had talent around him

hes averaged almost 100 yards per game less than luck in his career

On 3/10/2017 at 4:48 PM, Superman said:

I'm taking a knee to protest people protesting protests. 

I personally don't have a huge problem with his protest.  It's not something I would have done but I think it's silly to freak out about it.

That having been said if you think about this strategically from the Colt's point of view, they are right in the middle of red state Indiana.  Maybe Indianapolis is blue but most of Indiana is red.

I don't think it would be a good thing for the Colt's relationship with their fan base.  It wouldn't bother me that much but I think it would bother a large number of Colts fans.  And he's certainly not good enough football wise to make it worth that.  Honestly I think that's also why the kid doesn't have a job now.  

It was a brave thing he did in standing up (or really kneeling) for his beliefs.  But it wasn't good for his career, in fact he may have killed his career off.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I personally don't have a huge problem with his protest.  It's not something I would have done but I think it's silly to freak out about it.

That having been said if you think about this strategically from the Colt's point of view, they are right in the middle of red state Indiana.  Maybe Indianapolis is blue but most of Indiana is red.

I don't think it would be a good thing for the Colt's relationship with their fan base.  It wouldn't bother me that much but I think it would bother a large number of Colts fans.  And he's certainly not good enough football wise to make it worth that.  Honestly I think that's also why the kid doesn't have a job now.  

It was a brave thing he did in standing up (or really kneeling) for his beliefs.  But it wasn't good for his career, in fact he may have killed his career off.

He's not the first, sadly he won't be the last. This is similar to Muhammad Ali being banned from boxing, although his issue was different (not unrelated, but different). I believe he was actually breaking the law, as a matter of fact.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

He's not the first, sadly he won't be the last. This is similar to Muhammad Ali being banned from boxing, although his issue was different (not unrelated, but different). I believe he was actually breaking the law, as a matter of fact.

Correct, draft evasion. 

19 hours ago, Superman said:

Protesting or speaking out as a professional athlete is going to hurt your career.  That goes doubly true if you are only a marginal talent.

It's even more true today then it was before because of how divided the country is politically speaking.  

21 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Protesting or speaking out as a professional athlete is going to hurt your career.  That goes doubly true if you are only a marginal talent.

It's even more true today then it was before because of how divided the country is politically speaking.  

That's obvious, but the insulting part is that people continue to act like his speaking out isn't a big reason he's not on a team right now. He might not be great, but he's better than a lot of QBs on NFL rosters right now, including some projected starters. 

we dont know if he even wants to come here to be lucks backup

i dont think he would be that great of a fit either, our receiver talent would go to waste with him seeing ghosts and taking off

his yards per game numbers are terrible

Scott Tolzein is Lucks back-up unless someone beats him in camp.  He was not terrible at all last year when he filled in.  The Steelers game our WR dropped everything.  I am fine with Tolzein and hope he plays 0 minutes this year anyways.  Kap can go to any other team but no thank you here in Indy!

On 5/4/2017 at 10:11 PM, SanDiegoColt8 said:

But... but... he kneeled during the national anthem!!! 

The NFL has a way to say to players that nobody is bigger than,  the NFL...  unless you have/do something they can sell.

Kaep doesn't fit that criteria.  Blaine Gabbert got a job before Kaepernick.  What does that tell you?

And it's easy for teams to wrap it up in the 'We just want to avoid distractions' blanket.  Kaep might not ever get signed unless there are a rash of QB injuries (please no) and Colin is willing to play for much less than he thinks he deserves.  I can't foresee it happening.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, SP_21 said:

I'd rather put Pagano in at QB 

We can run fake punts all day, baby!!! :) 

On a serious note, who is the Jags back up QB? Oh noes, a Chad Henne sighting. Kaep could have a chance there, IMO.

13 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

He knows his role and actually wasn't bad last year.  I just think Kap is incredibly overrated and I am not alone in that thinking.  I also don't see him as someone willing to accept a back up role to Luck.

At this point he just wants to earn a spot on a roster via camp (this is according to friends of his).  Last year he threw for 16 tds and 4 ints in 12 games.  Tolzien; 1 td and 2 ints in 3 games (which extrapolates to 4 tds and 8 ints over 12 games). Plus Kaep could learn a lot from Luck.  If Luck misses any time, I'd like our chances to win games with Kaep much more than with Tolzien.

3 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

At this point he just wants to earn a spot on a roster via camp (this is according to friends of his).  Last year he threw for 16 tds and 4 ints in 12 games.  Tolzien; 1 td and 2 ints in 3 games (which extrapolates to 4 tds and 8 ints over 12 games). Plus Kaep could learn a lot from Luck.  If Luck misses any time, I'd like our chances to win games with Kaep much more than with Tolzien.

Tolzien also has competition from Morris.  I really like that kid and hope has improved to unseat Scott.