Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport: Colts and Eagles making strong push for Alshon Jeffery (Merged)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, twfish said:

6'2 220 pounds and runs a 4.40 40 yard dash. He's much more than just a role player but he has the same thing happening to him that Dorsett and that's poor play calling and not utilizing the WR to there max. Most of the time the 2 are used to pull double coverage off of T.Y.

this next season will be telling with DM.  right now hes mostly only producing in the red zone and was tied for 41st in TDs last year

we can blame coaching, or maybe this is who he is.  it should be clear in the next year or two

9 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I must admit, I don't know much about Alshon other than his statistical numbers... Whats his character generally like?

I dont know about his character, but two years ago he was looking like one of the top wrs in the entire league.

Had a big drop off last season though.

He certainly has the talent.

8 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

To be fair though, it takes two to complete a deal.  What if those guys you mention just don't want to be Colts or like other situations better?  You can't force free agents to sign with you.  I look at the Colts interest in him as the draft is deep in defense specifically edges and defensive backs.  The draft does not have a lot of WR talent so if they are wanting to improve the WR unit then FA might be the best bet.

Sure, we don't know, but I seriously doubt those two just don't wanna sign with us. Especially since Bouye is trying to stay in the division apparetly. Plus we're not some scrub team with a terrible FO.

The fact that we're rumored to be out of the running entirely for those guys, to me, suggests that it just got too rich for Ballard's blood.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I mean, we don't know, but I seriously doubt those two  don't wanna sign with us. Especially since Bouye is trying to stay in the division.

Right, the point I was making that if a FA the Colts were targeting chose to sign somewhere else, it is not necessarily the fault or approach of the Colts.  Getting back to Jeffrey though, that price that Holder floated is steep.  Depending on the structure you could go that route but I don't see the Colts paying him more than TY.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

this next season will be telling with DM.  right now hes mostly only producing in the red zone and was tied for 41st in TDs last year

we can blame coaching, or maybe this is who he is.  it should be clear in the next year or two

I will agree the next year or 2 will tell. I'm not saying he's a top receiver by any means. I just beleive he has shown he can produce

8 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Yea they have Nelson Agholor too.  I am with you, I like his size but not sure about his injury past among other things.

You probably know him better than me. Didn't he have a PED suspension? Maybe I'm wrong because I know he has missed time with injuries too. There are times I would kill to have him on the field...but I'm not sure I would invest long term money into him. He would have to accept a short deal for me.

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'm not arguing calling him a "beast" I'm arguing to what was said about him not showing much.

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, the opposite extreme is also untrue.  He absolutely does have a place on this team and he's done more than "not show much."

37 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

The Eagles would never trade Matthews for Dorsett.

Sure they would. The current staff didn't draft him. All this talk about them trading for Cooks is nuts considering they're low on draft picks from the Carson Wentz trade. They want better WRs without giving up much because they have needs. Dorsett offers potential and Matthews would be the odd man out if they land Jeffrey. Trading for Dorsett would allow them to get a WR better than Agholor without giving up draft picks. Their WR core would be:

Torry Smith

Alshon Jeffrey 

DGB

Phillip Dorsett

Agholar

But we could also toss them another player in a package deal.

2 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Right, the point I was making that if a FA the Colts were targeting chose to sign somewhere else, it is not necessarily the fault or approach of the Colts.  Getting back to Jeffrey though, that price that Holder floated is steep.  Depending on the structure you could go that route but I don't see the Colts paying him more than TY.

Yeah, agreed.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

You probably know him better than me. Didn't he have a PED suspension? Maybe I'm wrong because I know he has missed time with injuries too. There are times I would kill to have him on the field...but I'm not sure I would invest long term money into him. He would have to accept a short deal for me.

You are correct.  He was suspended 4 games for PED's.  I honestly think he'll demand to much money and go back to the Bears.  I think the Titans could be a dark horse to sign him as well. 

2 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Anyone remember what Luck and AJ Green showed at the Pro Bowl a couple years back?  If Alshon Jeffery could bring that to Indy, he'd be worth money around a TY-and-a-half deal.

That means franchise QB salary. Nobody will do that for a receiver who isn't even top 10

Just now, 12isthenew18 said:

That means franchise QB salary. Nobody will do that for a receiver who isn't even top 10

I doubt the contract would be for that amount, but he'd still be worth it.  That was Luck with a touchdown-at-will kind of difference maker.

Alshon has top 10 potential, he just needs to get his act together.  All-in-all, I'm hoping this deal DOESN'T go down; but it would change our franchise if it did.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd rather trade Dorsett to the Eagles for Jordan Matthews. They just got Smith. If they get Jeffrey that's your number 1 and 2. Plus they have Green-Beckham.

Not that I really believe in this rumor though. The Colts have been linked to all of the top FAs. Poe, Bouye, Perry, and Zeitler. This happens every year though.

Matthews is garbage he 6'3 can only play slot and only makes plays in garbage time when the game is out of reach 

Signing Jeffery would make this offense top 3 in the league. Hilton led the league in yards without a consistent #2 WR. With Jeffrey everything becomes easier for Hilton and the other WR's. They will see a lot more single coverage. Luck will have a MVP caliber season if this happens. 

6 minutes ago, PhillyCOLTSfan said:

Matthews is garbage he 6'3 can only play slot and only makes plays in garbage time when the game is out of reach 

No, Dorsett is garbage. Here's Matthews stats:

2014: 872 yds 

2015: 997 yds

2016: 800 yds

Mind you his QBs have been Mark Sanchez, Nick Foles, and Sam Bradford. He's an underrated receiver who would blossom under Luck. He's probably better than Moncrief.

1 minute ago, cbear said:

I'm surprised most like this signing.  Giving big money to a WR with all the other needs on this team?

Can someone give me the low down on him?  Why is he so good? 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JeffAl00.htm

There are his stats.  He's a tall (6'4") wide receiver who is very athletic.  His downfalls are the PED suspension and injuries. 

3 minutes ago, cbear said:

I'm surprised most like this signing.  Giving big money to a WR with all the other needs on this team?

Can someone give me the low down on him?  Why is he so good? 

he has 1000 yard, and 10 TD potential.  he hit those numbers once in his career  with the bears QBs throwing to him

he is young enough that he can get there again especially with luck

14 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I'm surprised by this. When Ballard has always talked so far about building the fronts, getting in good locker room guys and spending only a reasonable amount of money.

Jeffrey is none of these things.

Things said the media means nothing. I've said that since day one